HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Finnish 2010 Olympic Roster

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2009, 11:18 AM
  #1
crthomp
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Finnish 2010 Olympic Roster

Just wondering what everyone thinks this roster might look like next year? Do guys think Ville Leino, Janne Pesonen or Jesse Joensuu have a chance to make it?

Will guys like Selanne and Lehtinen play? Or do you think they will retire?

Here are some names I can think of. What do you think the Line combos could look like?

teemu selanne, jere lehtinen, olli jokinen, tuomu ruutu, mikko koivu, saku koivu, antti miettinen, Jarkko Ruutu, Jussi Jokinen, Antti Philstrom, Sean Bergenheim, Niklas Hagman, Lauri Korpikoski, Niko Kapanen, Sami Kapanen, Valtteri Filppula, Petteri Nokelainen, Ville Peltonen, Ville Leino, Janne Pesonen, Jesse Joensuu

Kimmo Timonen, Joni Pitkanen, Sami Salo, Toni Lydman, Teppo Numminen, Janne Ninnimaa, Lasse Kukkonen, Ville Koistinen, Sami Lepisto, Ossi Vaananen

Mikka Kiprusoff, Niklas Backstrom, Pekka Rinne, Kari Lehtonen

Not sure if I missed anyone, but based on the above I am going to guess at possible line combos

Jere Lehtinen - Olli Jokinen - Teemu Selanne
Tuomu Ruutu - Mikko Koivu - Antti Miettinen
Valtteri Filppula - Saku Koivu - Niklas Hagman
Ville Peltonen - Niko Kapanen - Jarkko Ruutu

Kimmo Timonen - Sami Salo
Joni Pitkanen - Toni Lydman
Teppo Numminen - Ville Koistinen
Sami Lepisto

Mikka Kiprusoff
Niklas Backstrom
Pekka Rinne

What do you guys think? if selanne, lehtinen, peltonen, s. koivu, numminen all retire or don't come it could open the doors for some younger guys like Leino, pesonen or bergenheim.

If I'm missing anyone let me know.

crthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
  #2
gib
Registered User
 
gib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Finland
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crthomp View Post
Just wondering what everyone thinks this roster might look like next year? Do guys think Ville Leino, Janne Pesonen or Jesse Joensuu have a chance to make it?

Will guys like Selanne and Lehtinen play? Or do you think they will retire?

What do you guys think? if selanne, lehtinen, peltonen, s. koivu, numminen all retire or don't come it could open the doors for some younger guys like Leino, pesonen or bergenheim.

If I'm missing anyone let me know.
Jere Lehtinen, Saku Koivu and Teemu Selänne:
All the guys will be selected if they want to play. Even if there would be better players no coach in Finland has balls to leave these guys out. All of them also might retire.

Jesse Joensuu: No
Janne Pesonen: Only if he plays next year in NHL and has really good season or there is retirements/injuries
Ville Leino: Also needs to have good season and maybe some retirements/injuries. Right now it seems that he could make the team.

Sean Bergenheim will be there. Lauri Korpikoski and Petteri Nokelainen might be there even if Saku, Jere or Teemu wont retire.

Ville Peltonen is out I think. He has always been ready to play in national team and I respect him for that but age is gettin him.


Last edited by gib: 04-20-2009 at 12:56 PM.
gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 02:27 PM
  #3
Finnpin
Registered User
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,021
vCash: 500
Numminen maybe retires.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
  #4
crthomp
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
Jere Lehtinen, Saku Koivu and Teemu Selänne:
All the guys will be selected if they want to play. Even if there would be better players no coach in Finland has balls to leave these guys out. All of them also might retire.

Jesse Joensuu: No
Janne Pesonen: Only if he plays next year in NHL and has really good season or there is retirements/injuries
Ville Leino: Also needs to have good season and maybe some retirements/injuries. Right now it seems that he could make the team.

Sean Bergenheim will be there. Lauri Korpikoski and Petteri Nokelainen might be there even if Saku, Jere or Teemu wont retire.

Ville Peltonen is out I think. He has always been ready to play in national team and I respect him for that but age is gettin him.
Lets say saku, jere and teemu all play, then who would you cut to put bergenheim, korpikoski and nokelainen in there? Peltonen looks like one of your choices, who else? Niko Kapanen and Jarkko Ruutu? I can't see cutting hagman can you? Or I guess are they allowed 13 forwards, 7 D and 3 G, so you'd only have to cut two on my original line combos to put in bergenheim, korpikoski and nokelainen

crthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:59 AM
  #5
gib
Registered User
 
gib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Finland
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crthomp View Post
Lets say saku, jere and teemu all play, then who would you cut to put bergenheim, korpikoski and nokelainen in there? Peltonen looks like one of your choices, who else? Niko Kapanen and Jarkko Ruutu? I can't see cutting hagman can you? Or I guess are they allowed 13 forwards, 7 D and 3 G, so you'd only have to cut two on my original line combos to put in bergenheim, korpikoski and nokelainen
If 13 forwards is allowed then there is one extra forward. In that case I need to cut only one player Makes it easier, but still it`s hard to choose. Yeah, Peltonen is allready out.

Kapanen would be the easiest choise, even if he`s been playing great lately. There are five finnish guys in NHL who can play as center. M.Koivu, Jokinen, S. Koivu, Filppula, Nokelainen. Filppula maybe plays as winger so Kapanen would battle agains Nokelainen of the last center spot.

Kapanen vs. Nokelainen:

Kapanen is more experienced, better skater and has better vision. Also 4th line role isnt new to him. He has now great chance to show Jukka Jalonen, finnish head coach, what kind of player he is.

Nokelainen is bigger, more physical and in that way maybe more suitable for 4th line job. Also he plays 3rd/4th line in NHL so he is used to it unlike Kapanen who played 1st/2nd line duties this season. Before olympics there arent tournaments where he could convince Jalonen that he is man for that job. So he needs to play well next season in NHL.

It depends about the situation, but personally I would go with Nokelainen. However Kapanen isnt a bad choise.

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:12 AM
  #6
gib
Registered User
 
gib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Finland
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Also you cant forget Antti Philström.

Philström, Korpikoski and Bergenheim will give J.ruutu and Miettinen run for their money.

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:19 AM
  #7
ThinMcWhistle
Registered User
 
ThinMcWhistle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern hemisphere
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crthomp View Post
Just wondering what everyone thinks this roster might look like next year? Do guys think Ville Leino, Janne Pesonen or Jesse Joensuu have a chance to make it?

Will guys like Selanne and Lehtinen play? Or do you think they will retire?

Here are some names I can think of. What do you think the Line combos could look like?

teemu selanne, jere lehtinen, olli jokinen, tuomu ruutu, mikko koivu, saku koivu, antti miettinen, Jarkko Ruutu, Jussi Jokinen, Antti Philstrom, Sean Bergenheim, Niklas Hagman, Lauri Korpikoski, Niko Kapanen, Sami Kapanen, Valtteri Filppula, Petteri Nokelainen, Ville Peltonen, Ville Leino, Janne Pesonen, Jesse Joensuu

Kimmo Timonen, Joni Pitkanen, Sami Salo, Toni Lydman, Teppo Numminen, Janne Ninnimaa, Lasse Kukkonen, Ville Koistinen, Sami Lepisto, Ossi Vaananen

Mikka Kiprusoff, Niklas Backstrom, Pekka Rinne, Kari Lehtonen

Not sure if I missed anyone, but based on the above I am going to guess at possible line combos

Jere Lehtinen - Olli Jokinen - Teemu Selanne
Tuomu Ruutu - Mikko Koivu - Antti Miettinen
Valtteri Filppula - Saku Koivu - Niklas Hagman
Ville Peltonen - Niko Kapanen - Jarkko Ruutu

Kimmo Timonen - Sami Salo
Joni Pitkanen - Toni Lydman
Teppo Numminen - Ville Koistinen
Sami Lepisto

Mikka Kiprusoff
Niklas Backstrom
Pekka Rinne

What do you guys think? if selanne, lehtinen, peltonen, s. koivu, numminen all retire or don't come it could open the doors for some younger guys like Leino, pesonen or bergenheim.

If I'm missing anyone let me know.
Jussi Jokinen.

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:13 AM
  #8
Cono
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Turku
Country: Finland
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
It will be the best team we have ever had.

Cono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:22 PM
  #9
urho
Registered User
 
urho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cono View Post
It will be the best team we have ever had.
Without injuries; yes.

Olympics after 2010 look like a sad story, tho... Hopefully Pulkkinen, Rajala, Granlund etc. will turn out to be something...

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 01:32 AM
  #10
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,555
vCash: 50
Pihlström will be important to the team. Hopefully he is an established 20 goal scorer in the NHL by then.

Olli Jokinen will probably play on Saku's wing on the second line if Saku is still playing.

Mikko Koivu must slump very badly to lose the 1st line centre role.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 04:05 AM
  #11
Cono
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Turku
Country: Finland
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Without injuries; yes.

Olympics after 2010 look like a sad story, tho... Hopefully Pulkkinen, Rajala, Granlund etc. will turn out to be something...
I´m not worried about 2014, but this is not good report:
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/uu...asp?id=1677063

Cono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 06:02 AM
  #12
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,555
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cono View Post
I´m not worried about 2014, but this is not good report:
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/uu...asp?id=1677063
That link said that Jere has TWO selkes instead of three

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 07:53 AM
  #13
Cono
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Turku
Country: Finland
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
That link said that Jere has TWO selkes instead of three
Exactly. But looking Vancouver 2010 roster, bad news.

Cono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:38 PM
  #14
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
Jere Lehtinen - Olli Jokinen - Teemu Selanne
Tuomu Ruutu - Mikko Koivu - Antti Miettinen
Sean Bergenheim - Saku Koivu - Niklas Hagman
Antti Pihlstrom - Valtteri Filppula - Jarkko Ruutu




Kimmo Timonen - Sami Salo
Joni Pitkanen - Toni Lydman
Salmela-Väänänen



Mikka Kiprusoff
Niklas Backstrom
Pekka Rinne




Finland will win

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:57 AM
  #15
Selanne08*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=landskronala;19231504]
Tuomu Ruutu - Mikko Koivu - Antti Miettinen

That is a nightmare of a line to play against if Miettinen gets switched for a better 2 way player. But I see the reasoning with him playing w/ M. Koivu in minn

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 05:57 PM
  #16
FINNtastic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Finland
Posts: 571
vCash: 500
I heard/read somewhere that there will be a 50 player camp for the Olympic candidates in fall. Of course players that will not be selected to the camp will also have a chance to make the final team. But the ones selected are obviously strong candidates.

Here are my picks:

G:

Kiprusoff
Bäckström
Lehtonen

Rinne
Toskala
Niittymäki

D:

Salo
Pitkänen
Lydman
Timonen
Väänänen
Lepistö
Kukkonen
Numminen(*)

Lehtonen
Salmela
Koistinen
Niskala
Jokela
Malmivaara
Jaakola
Lehtivuori

W:

T. Ruutu
Hagman
Selänne (*)
Lehtinen (*)
Miettinen

J. Jokinen
Bergenheim
J. Ruutu

Korpikoski
Leino

Osala
Pihlström
Lehtonen
Pesonen
S. Kapanen
Peltonen
Pyörälä
Hentunen
Laaksonen
Komarov

C:

M. Koivu
S. Koivu
O. Jokinen
Filppula

Nokelainen
Hahl
N. Kapanen
Kontiola

A couple of tough picks, especially when thinking about the wingers. The bolded ones are IMO the front runners. (*)-players are in if they continue their careers. If not the italics are in.
I'm sure I missed a few players but I would be happy with this team. So what you think?

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:57 AM
  #17
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,555
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNtastic View Post
I heard/read somewhere that there will be a 50 player camp for the Olympic candidates in fall. Of course players that will not be selected to the camp will also have a chance to make the final team. But the ones selected are obviously strong candidates.

Here are my picks:

G:

Kiprusoff
Bäckström
Lehtonen

Rinne
Toskala
Niittymäki

D:

Salo
Pitkänen
Lydman
Timonen
Väänänen
Lepistö
Kukkonen
Numminen(*)

Lehtonen
Salmela
Koistinen
Niskala
Jokela
Malmivaara
Jaakola
Lehtivuori

W:

T. Ruutu
Hagman
Selänne (*)
Lehtinen (*)
Miettinen

J. Jokinen
Bergenheim
J. Ruutu

Korpikoski
Leino

Osala
Pihlström
Lehtonen
Pesonen
S. Kapanen
Peltonen
Pyörälä
Hentunen
Laaksonen
Komarov

C:

M. Koivu
S. Koivu
O. Jokinen
Filppula

Nokelainen
Hahl
N. Kapanen
Kontiola

A couple of tough picks, especially when thinking about the wingers. The bolded ones are IMO the front runners. (*)-players are in if they continue their careers. If not the italics are in.
I'm sure I missed a few players but I would be happy with this team. So what you think?
Leino there? o.O
That's just too weird. Also I don't see Filppula or Jokinen on the fourth line, and I think it will be lead by Niko Kapanen. Or maybe Nokelainen.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 04:19 AM
  #18
FINNtastic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Finland
Posts: 571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Leino there? o.O
That's just too weird. Also I don't see Filppula or Jokinen on the fourth line, and I think it will be lead by Niko Kapanen. Or maybe Nokelainen.
Well like I said, tough calls. But as you can see there are 10 wingers so Leino is in the team as a backup. Leino also has that rare ability to make things happen in the offensive zone so I'd say he at least needs to a spare for the team if something happens to our 1st and 2nd line players.

T. Ruutu - M. Koivu - Miettinen
Lehtinen - S. Koivu - Selänne
O. Jokinen - Filppula - Hagman
J. Ruutu - J. Jokinen - Bergenheim
Korpikoski

Salo - Timonen
Pitkänen - Lydman
Numminen - Väänänen
Kukkonen

That's how I'd roll at the moment.

The Olympics are played in NHL-sized rinks so I'd leave N. Kapanen out for that reason and there's no PP-time coming his way so it's better to pick either a more defensive player or more of an all-around player to the fourth line.
Nokelainen and Hahl might very well be there instead of Leino/Korpikoski. It all depends whether the coaches want to put up a really defensive fourth line.

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 07:15 AM
  #19
Arselona
Registered User
 
Arselona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Isn't Kapanen pretty decent at face-offs? Better have him on the team then.

Arselona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
  #20
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,555
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNtastic View Post
The Olympics are played in NHL-sized rinks so I'd leave N. Kapanen out for that reason and there's no PP-time coming his way so it's better to pick either a more defensive player or more of an all-around player to the fourth line.
Nokelainen and Hahl might very well be there instead of Leino/Korpikoski. It all depends whether the coaches want to put up a really defensive fourth line.
Niko has done well both in defensive roles on the team (remember early in his NHL career when he was dubbed a future selke finalist?) and on the small ice. He did quite well in Quebec where most teams had really strong lineups.

Jussi Jokinen isn't all that good at the draw, which is needed from our lower lines. He is also one of those players who plays MUCH better with more room out there.

Pretty decent team otherwise.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 05:16 PM
  #21
FINNtastic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Finland
Posts: 571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Jussi Jokinen isn't all that good at the draw, which is needed from our lower lines. He is also one of those players who plays MUCH better with more room out there.

Pretty decent team otherwise.
I see your point, but I disagree that Jokinen "isn't all that good" in the faceoff circle. He's been good this year, including being the second best faceoff-man behind Brind'Amour (for Carolina) in the playoffs. And I might add that Kapanen was Finland's worst in faceoffs at the WC's. Kapanen might be a bit better defensively but Jokinen is more versatile.

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:40 AM
  #22
Finnish Flasher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Goalies (the easiest part)
Bäcks
Kipper
Rinne
(who's first depends on fall performance)

D-fence:
salo - pitkänen
väänänen - timonen
lydman - koistinen
kukkonen - numminen
(or anyone except niinimaa)

F
J. Jokinen - M. Koivu - Selänne
T. Ruutu - OJ the pumpkinhead - Miettinen
Hagman - S. Koivu - N. Kapanen
J. Ruutu - Filppula - Komarov (bad to the bone line)

Bubbling under:
Leino
Salmela
Bergenheim
Lehtinen
S. Kapanen

Finnish Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:12 AM
  #23
Grove
Registered User
 
Grove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Finland
Posts: 426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish Flasher View Post
J. Ruutu - Filppula - Komarov (bad to the bone line)
Yeah. Filppula's a real troublemaker.

I think Bergenheim will make it before Komarov, unless Komarov has a huge breakout season in Russia.

Grove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:44 AM
  #24
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,637
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNtastic View Post
I see your point, but I disagree that Jokinen "isn't all that good" in the faceoff circle. He's been good this year, including being the second best faceoff-man behind Brind'Amour (for Carolina) in the playoffs. And I might add that Kapanen was Finland's worst in faceoffs at the WC's. Kapanen might be a bit better defensively but Jokinen is more versatile.
Jokinen plays all three forward positions and had a faceoff percentage of 53.6% in the regular season which was better than Paulsson, Zetterberg, and even Mikko Koivu.

Plus, with what he has done this postseason it wouldn't be unreasonable to send him over to play with Tuomo Ruutu. Those two have developed quite a chemistry here.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:59 AM
  #25
Finnish Flasher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grove View Post
Yeah. Filppula's a real troublemaker.

I think Bergenheim will make it before Komarov, unless Komarov has a huge breakout season in Russia.
I thinked quite a lot Filppula to 3rd line, but we will see.

Yes, Bergenheim vs. Komarov is a tough call. And at this point it's not very easy. Ruutu-Komarov played well together at WCH.

Finnish Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.