HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

16th Obsequious Banter Thread: 16% More Toothless Grins. (And Sixers Playoff Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2009, 09:46 PM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
If the yotes move east, how do the divisions/conferences shake out? They can't stay in the Pacific. I guess Colorado could slide out there, but then what? Southern Ontario seems like a great market for another team, but this could get complicated. You'd think Hamilton would end up in the East, but who moves West? Or do they end up in the Central division and bump someone else to the Northwest? St. Louis? Chicago?

Old
05-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They seem to believe it can be done within 6 weeks.

I think the BoG would approve the relocation.
Relocation being?

While I think southern Ontario could easily support a 2nd franchise, I would imagine both the Sabres (depending on location) and the Leafs throwing up many road blocks.

Old
05-05-2009, 09:47 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Nice to see that the NHL is trying to kill playoff OT, is there a worse-run league in the universe?

Old
05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Nice to see that the NHL is trying to kill playoff OT, is there a worse-run league in the universe?
Que?

Old
05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:

What did they do now?

With the Yotes, Can we bring back the Jets then?

Old
05-05-2009, 09:52 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Que?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post

What did they do now?

With the Yotes, Can we bring back the Jets then?
Several time they have been close to making overtime 4-on-4 I believe.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=639472

Old
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
FlyHigh

The competition committee was 1 vote short of switching playoff OT to 4 on 4 after the 1st OT period. They're basically trying to cover their collective ass because of the ****** TV deal that they signed a couple years ago where prime-time OT games might get bumped to Versus.

Just ridiculous, I can understand the shoot-out because it does gets fans excited (people I know might hate it, but the crowd always gets really into it), but this is just going way too far. Playoff OT is one of the holy of holies, you just do not touch it.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...e-changes.aspx

Old
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM
ilovetheflyers8

My solution write loads of letters to the NHL. This Summert I'm going to write a letter to Bettman and maybe others listing my grievances with the NHL and I'm going to post on here- hopefully others will take it and sign their names and send it in too.

Edit: Everyone here should write letters too

Old
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
The competition committee was 1 vote short of switching playoff OT to 4 on 4 after the 1st OT period. They're basically trying to cover their collective ass because of the ****** TV deal that they signed a couple years ago where prime-time OT games might get bumped to Versus.

Just ridiculous, I can understand the shoot-out because it does gets fans excited (people I know might hate it, but the crowd always gets really into it), but this is just going way too far. Playoff OT is one of the holy of holies, you just do not touch it.

:r ant:

WHyyyyyyYYYyyyyy
would they try to get rid of this
I ****ing hate the NHL.

Old
05-05-2009, 09:59 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
My solution write loads of letters to the NHL. This Summert I'm going to write a letter to Bettman and maybe others listing my grievances with the NHL and I'm going to post on here- hopefully others will take it and sign their names and send it in too.
That sounds great, but I don't think they'd read them. Just trying to keep it real.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

If it came down to 4-on-4 OT, or a shootout...I'll take the 4-on-4 format everyday of the week.

Having a shootout determine a playoff game would be ****ing ridiculous.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Back on the air again. 11PM until I feel like leaving and shutting down the transmitter.

www.wrsu.org

If anyone has trouble listening, let me know. Sorry, I wanted to help before but went home to find my internet and cable out. Comcast can't come until tomorrow. Lazy ********.

Edit: You can also reach me on AIM: WRSUmusic

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 05-05-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old
05-05-2009, 10:03 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
That sounds great, but I don't think they'd read them. Just trying to keep it real.
Yeah, but I feel if enough people voice their opinions then they might start to listen. Even if the NHL org. itself won't listen some of the people on these committees who have actually played the game or been around the NHL for a long time might listen and that in of itself could make a difference in situations like these.- I'm an American and a relatively new hockey fan- I don't need the cleaner less aggressive more media friendly version of hockey to get me interested in the game.

Edit: I think the older versions of hockey are awesome sounding when everything wasn't a penalty.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Damn straight. We'll be able to see the Flyers more often! And easily!

Go Jim Go!!

The old boys club can't continue to shut him out. No matter how hard Bettman tries. He simply has too much money and is too passionate about the game and the NHL to keep him out forever.
I'm ****ing excited. I really hope he gets a team this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
If it came down to 4-on-4 OT, or a shootout...I'll take the 4-on-4 format everyday of the week.

Having a shootout determine a playoff game would be ****ing ridiculous.
I'm done with this league (or any league in North America) if they decide playoff games with a shootout. Every victory would be tainted, so where's the fun in that.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:06 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
:r ant:

WHyyyyyyYYYyyyyy
would they try to get rid of this
I ****ing hate the NHL.
Well, back in the 1980s and early 90s, the NHL and NBA were very competitive. Bill Simmons has proposed, and I agree with him, that David Stern sent Gary Bettman to the NHL (Bettman used to work for the NBA) in order to kill hockey.

Consider the level of on-ice product and popularity in the early 1990s to what it is now.

Bettman is actually a genius or possibly a robot that David Stern built to do his bidding (I'm terrified of David Stern).

We've had the moronic expansion (the NHL should have 24 teams, or 26 max) and the even more moronic relocations to exotic locales such as Phoenix, Columbus, Atlanta, Nashville and etc. Needless to say, these franchises top the NHL's poor list.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:08 PM
CantSeeColors

I don't get it. They're worried about the fact that they could lose 2/3 of their audience when an overtime game goes on.... but ignoring the fact that they're still retaining 1/3 of it? Isn't 1/3 of the audience still watching better than a game being over already and nobody watching?

Old
05-05-2009, 10:37 PM
CharlieGirl
Go Rangers Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Relocation being?

While I think southern Ontario could easily support a 2nd franchise, I would imagine both the Sabres (depending on location) and the Leafs throwing up many road blocks.
That's the beauty of locating a team in K-W. It's outside of the boundaries that would require a team to pay huge coin to the Leafs and the Sabres.

Balsillie already owns a huge chunk of land beside the 401 near Cambridge, I believe. So building a new facility wouldn't be a big issue for him, not to mention the assistance he'd get from the region and the province.

It'll be fun to watch this play out. And to watch Bettman & Co. turn purple trying to stop him. And they will. Asshats, one and all.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
That's the beauty of locating a team in K-W. It's outside of the boundaries that would require a team to pay huge coin to the Leafs and the Sabres.

Balsillie already owns a huge chunk of land beside the 401 near Cambridge, I believe. So building a new facility wouldn't be a big issue for him, not to mention the assistance he'd get from the region and the province.

It'll be fun to watch this play out. And to watch Bettman & Co. turn purple trying to stop him. And they will. Asshats, one and all.
They were just saying on TSN that the NHL already has plans to deal with this in court. I honestly don't understand what they'll be taking him to court for...but that's what they said.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

I just heard on TSN that the league isn't happy with his offer.

Here we go!

Old
05-05-2009, 10:56 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Get your popcorn ready.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:58 PM
FlyHigh

League just gets stupider and stupider.

"Move a team from where it's 90 degrees every day to Canada!?!?! Canada!?!?! Are you ****ing serious??? Canada!?!?! The Hockey Hotbed. Why the hell would we want to do that?"

Old
05-05-2009, 11:03 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
League just gets stupider and stupider.

"Move a team from where it's 90 degrees every day to Canada!?!?! Canada!?!?! Are you ****ing serious??? Canada!?!?! The Hockey Hotbed. Why the hell would we want to do that?"
Ha!
Was just thinking the same thing. Can this league get anymore dumber? Bettman is a joke.

Old
05-05-2009, 11:03 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Sorry to ask, but anyone want to fill me in on all the arguing? I lost my internet at home and it seems I've missed something?

Old
05-05-2009, 11:13 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

The day playoff overtime changes is the day I finally say "**** it" and walk away.

Old
05-05-2009, 11:18 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

4 on 4 overtime playoff format? Possibly shootouts? What is this, an adult beer league at your local rink?

Closed Thread