HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

Top 5 goalies in Echl

Old
04-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Euros

vCash: 500
Top 5 goalies in Echl

Hi guys, you are kindly asked to name top 5 golies in echl. Could you describe those golies by style, weaknesses, advantages,...Thanks

Euros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:56 PM
adria

Honestly, I don't pay super close attention to goalies' techniques. And like I said in the dman thread, I haven't seen all teams (and goalies) play, just a few of those who have visited Victoria.

Victoria's Todd Ford finished in the top 10 for goalies this year, and is currently leading all goalies in the postseason with 0.95 GAA and 0.972 SV% in 4 games, outplaying the much-hyped Matt Climie. That includes a 51 save shutout effort on the road.

Ford is tall (6'4, 195 lbs) and agile, and usually tracks the puck well. He's on an AHL contract, but the Manitoba Moose had no room for him so he has spent the season in Victoria, earning ECHL Goalie of the Month honours for December. He would likely have played more than his 35 games if the Salmon Kings didn't have 3 goalies on their roster for close to half the season (one started the season injured).

Though the final result may indicate otherwise, Matt Climie was, for the most part, outstanding in the first round of the playoffs. He got pulled after letting in 3 goals on 6 shots in game 3, but his team abandoned him (and the back-up) that night. As far as I can recall, only 1 of the 9 goals scored by the Salmon Kings that night was not on an odd-man rush. In game 4, with the series on the line, he made a few saves he shouldn't have, and that's all his team can ask of him. It sounded like he played great in the first 2 games too, but I only listened to those games on the radio.

My biggest criticism of him would be that he let the crowd get to him. Once a goalie starts reacting to the crowd, and chirping back, he's usually lost his focus. Climie started responding to the crowd in game 4, and shortly thereafter had the game-tying goal scored on him. That said, he won 2 of 3 starts in the NHL with the Dallas Stars earlier this month.

adria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Prussian_Blue

Jean-Philippe Lamoureux. Most wins, second-best GAA, best save percentage, most shutouts. Some statistics might lie, but those numbers don't...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 03:33 AM
Cyclones Rock

While it would difficult for me to place him in the top five (I haven't seen too many goalies outside the Northern Division), Cincinnati's Loic Lacasse is a goalie who appears to me to have some pretty good potential.

Lacasse is a stand up goalie who plays the angles well. He has a good glove hand. He makes some very good saves look pedestrian. He has good balance and rarely gets caught out of position. His puck handling skills outside the crease need work although he can fire some pretty nice passes down ice upon occassion.

Due to some injuries in the Montreal/Hamilton/Cincinnati chain this season, Lacasse was recalled to Hamilton and started 7 games while logging a 2.06 gaa, .92 save% and pitched 2 shutouts.

Lacasse demonstrated some big game ability on Monday. After allowing 4 goals in game 6 (he was yanked in the first period), he came back to win a double OT game 7 and made several big saves in notching the elimination game victory.

He's a late round 2004 pick whose numbers in junior weren't very impressive, but if he continues to progress, then he may be able to work his way up the food chain in the Montreal system.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote