HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Koivu's last game?

Old
04-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Magic33

vCash: 500
I respect everything he has done for us. If he wants to stay for cheap, he will have to accept a third line role and play less minutes. If not, then its time to pass the torch. Thats hockey.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:58 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Indeed, I think its time to part with our captain, bring new leadership in the house..

Kovy is also playing his last game as a Habs and Tanguay will have to accept a discount to come back..
Oh my lord, the offense is going to soooo suck next year if all three don't come back...

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:59 PM
905tech
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Oh my lord, the offense is going to soooo suck next year if all three don't come back...
Why would it? Lapierre and Latendresse are going to score 50.

905tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHabsFan View Post
Why would it? Lapierre and Latendresse are going to score 50.
93 each, imo.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
A player who overcame a major knee injury, life-threatening cancer, broken ribs in the playoffs, almost lost his eyesight due to a high stick and broke his foot, and can STILL perform at the NHL level can play anytime for my team.
Quoted for ****ing truth

The problem with this team is the lack of a true #1 center... regardless if Koivu comes back or not, if we can get that #1 center I guarantee you that you're going to enjoy Koivu on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
either that or it's Buffalo with his buddy Rivet
I could also see him in Anaheim with Selannee

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
I could also see him in Anaheim with Selannee
yeah, I forgot about that one.
thanks for the reminder

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
A player who overcame a major knee injury, life-threatening cancer, broken ribs in the playoffs, almost lost his eyesight due to a high stick and broke his foot, and can STILL perform at the NHL level can play anytime for my team.
I'm not a Habs fan by any stretch but bravo, sir. I'd consider it a privilege to have Koivu as my captain.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Iwishihadacup

Lets let him go and have Lapierre as our first line center

*drool* Taylor Hall *drool*

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:52 PM
emb24*

saku will be back, it's plekanec in my opinion, who will be traded

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:06 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHabsFan View Post
Let's not forget our Norris Trophy winning defensemen.
if only saku spoke french! we would be a dynasty!

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsWRC View Post
i want and hope. Nothing against the man but we need a new captain...plain and simple
Is that the only thing the Habs need? It's that simple? You must be looking through the wrong end of the telescope because you're missing a lot of craters and crevices in this so-called team..

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
1) I've been posting several times daily. Maybe your fanboy behind is the one stuck in the woodwork.

2) Teams are led by their captains. I am a big "captain is the leader" kinda guy. We have a tremendously young team that is now used to losing. Koivu has been losing his entire effin career. If Mike Modano (most important US player in some peoples opinion) can easily lose the C, so can Captain Hollow, Saku Koivu. He disappeared during the major slump, and for that I can't forgive him.

3) You just hate on management for every mistake, I rag on Koivu for 11 years of mediocrity. Ryder was, and is, a bum! He has a good center and a depleated D to work against, even Jan "hands of cement" Bulis can score in that situation.

Bottom line: This team needs a new face, new era, new captain. Koivu can stay, but this is Komi's team (or Kovalev's or whoever).

edit:

Regarding the playoff runs of MaxLap and GuiLat: I think they played decently. Nothing to rave about, but Gui was physical as hell, and Laps did what he does (hybrid checking role). What more could you ask from them? They have Tom Kostopoulos on their effin line.
Are you going to continue your rant in response to every poster who questions your overblown views? You've said it all by now and there's nothing left in the barrel.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:24 AM
ari1160

i dont know why i clicked on this thread ... after reading some of the comments from so called "habs fan" it just breaks my heart.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:30 AM
madbox

This guy was forced into a number one role without the support his entire career. Always blasted for it while facing more advsersity than anyone should yet he perservered and continues giving everything he's got.
I sure as hell hope this isn't his last week as a Montreal Canadien. Saku's always been a lifer to me.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Is that the only thing the Habs need? It's that simple? You must be looking through the wrong end of the telescope because you're missing a lot of craters and crevices in this so-called team..
Agreed but this thread was about Koivu specifically.

I think this team need to starts by having strong leadership. Leadership in its management, coaching and captaincy.

<--------- see avatar for on ice example.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:45 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Are you going to continue your rant in response to every poster who questions your overblown views? You've said it all by now and there's nothing left in the barrel.
just look at his comment about being proud of his "glorieux" players giving an effort despite a linemate dragging him down.....the same can be said for saku most of his time here...oh the double standards, the hypocrisy...its wonderful aint it!

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
No way I'd like him off the team.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 01:23 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
i dont know why i clicked on this thread ... after reading some of the comments from so called "habs fan" it just breaks my heart.
don't worry, they hide back under their rock when saku gets a couple of points and golden boy lapierre disappears.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

anybody who wishes this to be Koivu's final season with the habs needs to start cheering for the Leafs pronto because you sure as hell are not a fan of this team.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 01:31 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Indeed, I think its time to part with our captain, bring new leadership in the house..

Kovy is also playing his last game as a Habs and Tanguay will have to accept a discount to come back..
this is the attitude that Rejean Houle took when he assumed the position. Anybody who even remotely underachieved was shipped out at discount prices. Need I remind you how that worked out?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 01:52 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

seriously, look at the centres available on the ufa market. Forget cammaleri because someone is gonna overpay for him.

But if koivu leaves, the best options are steve sullivan (wonky back), nik antropov (slow and not leadership material), and henrik sedin (but daniel would have to be part of the package which means a large cap hit).

Looking at the market it is absolutely necessary to bring saku or lang back (if not both) or this team is going to be razor thin at centre with plekanec being the only offensive centre (and we know how he played this season).

And we havent even touched on the wingers ie. Kovalev and Taguay or the holes on defense esp if komisarek leaves.

Even goaltending has to be questioned to this point. Do the habs require to insulate Price with a veteran? Obviously, they need to find a way to develop his mental game because his first two season have involved collapses at bad times.

So many holes to fill... where do you start. I can only garauntee one thing, this summer will not be boring.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 02:06 AM
Garo

I think it's bizarre that some say "I'd take him, but not as our first line centre". Does that mean that if there wasn't anyone better (Which is likely to happen), that you wouldn't take him because he'd be our best centre? ... I don't get it.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 02:38 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
anybody who wishes this to be Koivu's final season with the habs needs to start cheering for the Leafs pronto because you sure as hell are not a fan of this team.
Maybe it's you that is not a fan of the team but a fanboy for Saku Koivu.

As a fan I think that he is ineffective as this team's leader. It is my opinion and I base it on the effort I see 82 times a year, and over the past whatever years.

Koivu was given the capitancy because the city was behind him during his unfortunate cancer. I honestly, truely think that he did really well to come back from it, and everyone in the city is proud of him.

That was 10 years ago.

Today, with the lineup of young, unfocused, undisciplined idiots on this team, Saku isn't doing the right job. I think a Messier type captain will absolutely rock the foundations of the alcoholic, hooker-using, cocaine-snorting morons we call our core.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 02:41 AM
ginosniper

Leaf fan here, don't shoot.

Saku is one of my favorite non Leafs. I love everything he's done and what he's gone through has been inspirational. He's the true definition of the word class.

Anyways, is there a problem with bringing in Vinny and having Saku as your second line centre? I mean there's nothing saying he has to be your first line centre.

ginosniper is offline   Reply With Quote