HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: No pun intended, I need to buy a golf set.

Old
04-20-2009, 11:17 PM
kostitsyn1489

vCash: 500
OT: No pun intended, I need to buy a golf set.

Well most of my friends golf and I like it too, but i usually rent clubs there as i play only 2-3 times a year. I'd like to play more and stuf this summer so I need to buy a set. Any tips for a cheap set like 200$ or so?

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
Check pawn shops. You may be able to grab a decent yet couple yrs old set, at a reduced price.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Charley_5054

Send a message via MSN to Charley_5054
Somehow, this reminded me of the classic : Where to find good winter mittens this time of year.

But you can find cheap sets in sports stores. Just avoid places like Golf Town. There is even some discount places that sell used sets for a very good price.

Charley_5054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:27 PM
terreur

vCash: 50
the key for golf clubs is used. After they have been used, you get them for a fractuon of the price, and honestly, it does not change anything at all... Ebay is a good place. You can also try and buy some demos from golf boutique. I know that golf town also has a used golf club section on their website...

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
the key for golf clubs is used. After they have been used, you get them for a fractuon of the price, and honestly, it does not change anything at all... Ebay is a good place. You can also try and buy some demos from golf boutique. I know that golf town also has a used golf club section on their website...
Your better off going into their store. When TaylorMade launched their racs, i went into a G-Town and an employee offered me a set of demo's, i spent $300 bucks on a what $800 set of irons.

Ebay could have some gems.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Phousse

What ****ing pun? Seriously? Where is it?

The only thing worse than a bad pun is when the person thinks there's a pun when there isn't.

T? Is T the pun? For tee? Is that what it is?

Tee hee.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Definitely go used. I just got a used set of Big Bertha x-12s, 3-P/A/S this spring for the equivalent of $150 online in Japan. What were those new, over 2000 bucks? Not a scratch on them. E-Bay is probably your answer back home though. Some golf warehouses have online sites, and you might want to try there too. www.tgw.com is known to have good used sets now and again. I think they have a warehouse in Quebec, but I haven't been back home in a while.

http://www.tgw.com/main.jsp

edit: always check out the clearance and below section in the bottom right of the equipment tab. If any set catches your eye, I can gives you pretty detailed advice on what might be best for you.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 05:50 AM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffle View Post

The only thing worse than a bad pun is when the person thinks there's a pun when there isn't.

Tee hee.
Golfing..................Playoffs................. .......

you know golfing, playoffs..................playoffs over.....golfing

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:07 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Try to get some on Kijiji. Should be able to get a cheap set there.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffle View Post

Tee hee.
seriously.... so what?!

your post was a waste of Kilobytes

as for you karl, go buy a brand new set!!!! come on brah, be a pimp! lol

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:14 AM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
seriously.... so what?!

your post was a waste of Kilobytes

as for you karl, go buy a brand new set!!!! come on brah, be a pimp! lol
The play it again sports store here in Thunder Bay actually has pretty good stuff at decent prices. If you have one in your area check it out. Although you may be better off going there in the fall.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
The play it again sports store here in Thunder Bay actually has pretty good stuff at decent prices. If you have one in your area check it out. Although you may be better off going there in the fall.
NO!!!! Play it again sports = ********!

seriously, I bought jerseys and water bottles for my ball hockey team last year... and I regret it soooo much. My jerseys were 2 weeks late (had to start the season without jerseys and they didn't gave us credits for that ******** waste of time), all my bottles are leaking and now numbers on our jerseys are coming off (when they cleary promised us they'd never come off....)

so yeah, no thanks. black listed.

Old
04-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
NO!!!! Play it again sports = ********!

seriously, I bought jerseys and water bottles for my ball hockey team last year... and I regret it soooo much. My jerseys were 2 weeks late (had to start the season without jerseys and they didn't gave us credits for that ******** waste of time), all my bottles are leaking and now numbers on our jerseys are coming off (when they cleary promised us they'd never come off....)

so yeah, no thanks. black listed.
Well, the Play it Again Sports in Thunder Bay is quite good (it is also the biggest Play it Again Sports in Canada). I bought my irons there last summer...also bought my 5 wood there.

Each Play it Again Sports is individually owned, so if the one you went to was crappy, it doesn't nessesarly mean they are ALL crappy.

04-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Well, the Play it Again Sports in Thunder Bay is quite good (it is also the biggest Play it Again Sports in Canada). I bought my irons there last summer...also bought my 5 wood there.

Each Play it Again Sports is individually owned, so if the one you went to was crappy, it doesn't nessesarly mean they are ALL crappy.
Yeah I know, it's just... I'm a bitter customer. lol

the one not to go:

Laval
1787 St. Martin Boulevard O.

Old
04-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Habs

Costco baby, lifetime warranty on those suckers.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:10 AM
tollb2

personaly i only use callaway clubs and cameron putters, if you dont want to shell out the coin for some high end callaways. this site sells em for cheap , used for a season or 2 .. i had a friend who got a killer deal on some here

http://callawaygolfpreowned.com/

Last edited by tollb2: 04-21-2009 at 11:15 AM.
tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Boulette Cannon

I would'nt go with callaway pre-owned though. The customs fees on shipping golf clubs through UPS from the states are horrid.

Ideally, check for a set of irons first and build from there.

Check craigslist, kijiji and try to find a set of used PING i3. Perfect set for beginner/amateur at a really good price (really good quality also). Great bang for your buck.

Used (and local) is DEFINITELY the way to go when buying golf equipment.

PM me if you want more info.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Definitely go used. I just got a used set of Big Bertha x-12s, 3-P/A/S this spring for the equivalent of $150 online in Japan. What were those new, over 2000 bucks? Not a scratch on them. E-Bay is probably your answer back home though. Some golf warehouses have online sites, and you might want to try there too. www.tgw.com is known to have good used sets now and again. I think they have a warehouse in Quebec, but I haven't been back home in a while.

http://www.tgw.com/main.jsp

edit: always check out the clearance and below section in the bottom right of the equipment tab. If any set catches your eye, I can gives you pretty detailed advice on what might be best for you.

Big berthas X-12 = 2000$ ? No way in hell. Sorry. Well, maybe in 1998, when they came out. Right now, market value is about 225$ for these clubs.

Last edited by Boulette Cannon: 04-21-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by willalong View Post
Golfing..................Playoffs................. .......

you know golfing, playoffs..................playoffs over.....golfing
Let me tell you, I know puns, and that was no pun. No pun at all.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Choate51

Buyer beware, there are a lot of clubs that are counterfeit that look just like the real thing. Make sure if you buy used or from ebay to get a serial number picture before buying so u can verify from the maufacturer. For your price range look for Cobra S9's from 07 they should be pretty cheap. The best thing to do really is to stop by the local shop and ask the guy that owns the place.

Choate51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
tollb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choate51 View Post
Buyer beware, there are a lot of clubs that are counterfeit that look just like the real thing. Make sure if you buy used or from ebay to get a serial number picture before buying so u can verify from the maufacturer. For your price range look for Cobra S9's from 07 they should be pretty cheap. The best thing to do really is to stop by the local shop and ask the guy that owns the place.
.. extreamly true , alot of the high brands , ping, taylor made, callaway , that sell for super cheap on ebay are knock offs .. on callaway irons , on the eight iron is a serial number .. always get that and check with manifacturer b4 buying the set

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:55 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Meh, I got a set of John Daly clubs from Walmart for $150. They aren't the greatest, but they do the trick. My scores have improved immensely now that I'm familiar the clubs and not using a different set each time I go.

I'm going to start replacing them as I find deals this year though. I'm hoping to get some Taylor Made irons eventually.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Meh, I got a set of John Daly clubs from Walmart for $150. They aren't the greatest, but they do the trick. My scores have improved immensely now that I'm familiar the clubs and not using a different set each time I go.

I'm going to start replacing them as I find deals this year though. I'm hoping to get some Taylor Made irons eventually.
Recommend against Taylor Mades (especially anything Tour Forged) until you're shooting 80s, preferably mids/lows, somewhat consistently. You won't enjoy how unforgiving they are... although if you can shape your shots (draw/fade) you'll enjoy that part.

Old
04-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGGINS! View Post
Big berthas X-12 = 2000$ ? No way in hell. Sorry. Well, maybe in 1998, when they came out. Right now, market value is about 225$ for these clubs.
That's right, hence the "when they were new" part. But the beauty is, used clubs in Japan, even if 10 years old, typically have less than 10 rounds on them. People buy the newest clubs when they come out, just to have them, but have no time to play, or are lucky to get out twice a year. Seriously, my shafts don't even have normal wear and tear from coming in and out of the bag, and the wedges have never seen sand, let alone pebbles or stones.

Old
04-21-2009, 12:13 PM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Let me tell you, I know puns, and that was no pun. No pun at all.
this board is no pun........I have never met a pun, so, I guess I wouldn't know

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote