HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Trevor Timmins overrated?

Old
04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Papa_Bear_21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Ever think that the problem might be player development? Or maybe the team itself? Our players show promise. Andrei showed a lot of promise last year, but he flatlined this year. He could've built on his season like Carter did. But expectations were through the roof, and this pretty much set him up for failure. How many players have thrived once they left Montreal?

It's probably not all your fault but anybody who jumps on the scouts and players just because they're not living up to unrealistic expectations is not helping. If you want a Carter, you have to let the player become one.

Ahhhhh, finally someone with insight.
People, the job of the scout is to draft players that have the skills and potential to make the NHL. In some cases (as with the Habs) the head scout is in charge of making sure the pre-pro development of that player is the best it could possibly be. I think it's hard to say that Timmins has not done both extremely well. Not only have our players had success at the junior level, but the Habs have done a great job with their development camps etc. making sure the pre-pro process has gone well. Even our AHL teams have had success despite typically being short on "career ahler" talent. But once you get to the NHL, it's not necessarily the scout's fault if the player does not take the next step.
Some people may disagree but environment, the coach, the system you play in, the players you play with had a lot to do with how a player develops once he makes the NHL. At least this is true for 95% of the players. I think generational players like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk would do well in just about any system. But for the rest...

The best example is Jeff Carter. So many people wish he was with the Habs, and although I would not mind if we had drafted him, do I think he would be as good right now, I wouldn't put $100 on it. Why?
First, when he came into the league, he got to play with Peter Forsberg and Simon Gagne, which most would admit is not the same as Pleckanec and Kovalev. Although it did not last the whole season, he had a rough go at the beginning there, it definitely makes it easier to play with those guys if you are expected to produce points.

Second, he was given time to become a star (albeit almost by accident); let's not forget that Philly had agreed to trade him AND a 1st rounder for Kaberle last year. So they even had doubts that he would be able to take the next step.

Third, he is basically is a second line center in Philly. The emergence of Mike Richards (which btw, coincided with the hiring of John Stevens after Hitchcock was let go) makes Carter a second line guy. Trust me, there is A LOT less pressure in that role. In Montreal, he would have been heralded as a savior at the age of 21 and who knows if he would have been able to overcome that. Especially with his #1 RW dogging it for most of the season.

My only hope is that if ever we trade Andrei, that all of those people that are complaining about him now, don't play Monday morning QB when he scores 40 with another team.

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:35 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
To sum up what this thread is going to amount to..
OP, you're a ****ing idiot.
If not it's pretty darn close.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:37 AM
superstar436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
You people are nuts.

You know Jeff Carter up to the trade deadline last year fustrated a lot of Philli fans, some even thought he was a bust. Heck the organization was willing to trade him!

Only this year has he become a force, in his 4th nhl season, before this year he was their 3rd line center.

Even if we had drafted Carter instead of Andrei you think he would have lasted here? he would have had 49 points in his 3rd season and everyone would have called him a bust and wanted him traded.

The situation with Andrei this year reminds me exactly of the Michael Ryder situation. People complained he had no heart, no hockey sense and look at him now, scored the game winning goal against us and had 27 goals in 74 games. The same goes for people ragging on D;agostini, 22 years old, rookie season and people are *****ing and wanting him traded.

Very few prospects come in and change your team right away, it takes them years before they break out.

Andrei: 2 nhl seasons, we want him out, 24 years old
Sergei: barely 2 nhl seasons, 21, and we want him out.
D'agostini: not even 1 full nhl season, people want him out, 22 years old
Pacioretty: not even a full Ahl season, 19 and people are questioning his abilities.
Weber: guy has played 2 playoff games a goal and an assist and I stll see people complaining.
Maxwell: People are *****ing about a 21 who hasn't played a full season of hockey up until this year and has got 60 points in 75 games in his rookie Ahl season.
McDonough: people complaining that he hasn't even cracked hamilton, though it's normal for American propects to take that long. Look at VanReimsdyke, he's still not in the AHL but I'm sure you'd love to have him.
Latendresse: 3rd nhl season and only now has he started to show some progression in his game, but majority of people have been patient with him.
Lappiere: 2nd nhl season and has started to show progression. People have been patient with him as well.

The lesson here is that it takes time for people to develop and if you would just be ****ing patient with players and not put the world on their shoulders, you'd see them develop into hockey players, but no, in Montreal if you are not a star after two seasons you're nothing and should be shipped out. Then when you break out elsewhere, you call out the management, even though the media and fans put the management in the postion to trade these players. With the exception of Latendresse, no player above has played 3 nhl seasons! And go look at the 2003 draft and with the exception of Parise, tell me which player was an impact player in their first two seasons.

What are we at right now...Ryder, Ribiero, Grabovski...who else flourishes outside Montreal? Hainsey, Beauchemin, Robidas?...But it took time for these players to reach their potential, just that other teams are willing to be patient with these players.
TT is a pretty good scout. He spots talent and it is up to mgmt to develop them, but he is not perfect.

What scares me is with Gauthier, Timmins, jay mckee ( I think. he was hired by habs last summer) we are copying the ottawa senators of early 2000. Skilled & small. It is a change of mentality. An adjustment.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:39 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Ever think that the problem might be player development? Or maybe the team itself? Our players show promise. Andrei showed a lot of promise last year, but he flatlined this year...
OK so the problem is Don Lever and Co. and You want him as a coach now.

It'd be more logical to blame the fans.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
TT is a pretty good scout. He spots talent and it is up to mgmt to develop them, but he is not perfect.

What scares me is with Gauthier, Timmins, jay mckee ( I think. he was hired by habs last summer) we are copying the ottawa senators of early 2000. Skilled & small. It is a change of mentality. An adjustment.
He scouts and he plays D for the Blues at the same time? Wow that's more awesome than Garth Snow

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
OK so the problem is Don Lever and Co. and You want him as a coach now.

It'd be more logical to blame the fans.
Lever does a great job in Hamilton. It's just that they hit a wall after they spend some time in Montreal.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post

that's the observation I have too

smalled, skilled & euro-oriented (ohhh I'm a rascist) team

like you said, Habs are shapping up to become a version of those early 2000 Sens.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
My only hope is that if ever we trade Andrei, that all of those people that are complaining about him now, don't play Monday morning QB when he scores 40 with another team.
I'm not one of those who feels that Timmins is overrated 'cause actually I rate him just fine. Not the best but not the worst either by far. One of the best for recognizing what it takes to reach the NHL, not the best for not recognizing top end talent.....yet.

Still, Timmins is director of scouting AND development. So it's a lose-lose if he's unable to either pick the right guy or not develop him Claude Ruel way. Sure, he's not responsible for how he's being coached but what is the definition of his development title anyway? Is he just the one who organises the development camp? What else is he doing? Who else is working with him on that front? Sure he's not responsible if Gainey and Co doesn't use his players properly, seems that while Grabovski was giving a hockey lesson to the Habs later this year, Timmins was in Drummondville and was looking at the screen watching the Habs game while probably watching Dany Massé, and when journalists ask him about Grabovski he replied..."Well WE drafted him..." So clearly putting the fault on somebody else and he might not be wrong about it.

But then either way, somebody will have to get the blame. It can't be solely based on the fact that they were not lucky. Thing is the end result is what is important and since it was already said that in this cap world there's not a whole lot of trades and that no UFA will want to come here we are at a disadvantage compared to other teams. The draft HAS to be the key to a winning team. Couldn't care less about the other head scouts success, most teams have the luxury to get their top players through the UFA market. We don't have that luxury.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Magic33

I know the draft is a crapshoot, but reading that first post gets me so rattled. Look at all that talent that we missed out on (along with many others teams). Imagine you hit the jackpot and take one player from each of those different rounds. Carter, Lucic, Bergeron, Perron etc ...

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
I know the draft is a crapshoot, but reading that first post gets me so rattled. Look at all that talent that we missed out on (along with many others teams). Imagine you hit the jackpot and take one player from each of those different rounds. Carter, Lucic, Bergeron, Perron etc ...
The draft is not entirely a crapshoot. People that want to believe that are just trying to protect a guy they like a lot. 'Cause strangely, Timmins was a god for the late round steals, but it's not his fault for his first rounds "mistakes".

Clearly, you look at all the years and usually the greatest players end up being in the top 2-3 rounds. Then, to me, it become a crapshoot. There are exceptions like the Datzyuk of this world but it's not the norm.

I will never buy that the draft is entirely a crapshoot 'cause you can easily see the drafts of all the teams to see that some teams suck like no others. How come they can't be lucky? How come the crapshoot rule work for them as well?

Last edited by Whitesnake: 04-21-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old
04-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Who is saying we are giving up or wanting to trade these players we drafted? cant we criticize or ponder without being nihilists?

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Who is saying we are giving up or wanting to trade these players we drafted? cant we criticize or ponder without being nihilists?
Nope. Not here. You criticize your team it has to mean that you should go and cheer for another one. You criticize Timmins, it has to meant that you want him gone. A world of Black and White, no room for the grey.

Old
04-21-2009, 11:23 AM
superstar436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
He scouts and he plays D for the Blues at the same time? Wow that's more awesome than Garth Snow
I am at work so I can not google; thus, relying on my bad memory ( second time in this thread).

Anyway, it is Frank Jay ( I got the Jay part right ! )
http://habsinsideout.com/main/3527

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The draft is not entirely a crapshoot. People that want to believe that are just trying to protect a guy they like a lot. 'Cause strangely, Timmins was a good for the late round steals, but it's not his fault for his first rounds "mistakes".

Clearly, you look at all the years and usually the greatest players end up being in the top 2-3 rounds. Then, to me, it become a crapshoot. There are exceptions like the Datzyuk of this world but it's not the norm.

I will never buy that the draft is entirely a crapshoot 'cause you can easily see the drafts of all the teams to see that some teams suck like no others. How come they can't be lucky? How come the crapshoot rule work for them as well?
Neither drafting nor developing are completely crapshoots, of course, otherwise teams wouldn't spend millions on scouting and development. They'd just do like we do for our Hockey Pools and buy a guide, read a bit on the web, watch some games on TV, and pick from that. They'd invite players to camp, if they made it good for them, if not, send the player home.

But still, the margins IMHO are slim. Say that "good scouting" can improve your odds on getting a player from an "average" 50% to a "good" 60%. Say that "good development" can improve your odds on getting a player from a similar 50% to 60%. Well, you could debate the proportions, but supposing that drafting and scouting are equal components of the end result, that you need both equally to get the player... the "average" team's overall odds are 50%x50% = 25%. The good team's odds are 60%x60% = 36%. To the casual observer, it still probably seems like a "crapshoot" if a team is hitting at a 36% clip in the draft.(*)

An extra player every year or two, maybe a borderline one sometimes, well, in the days of watered down free agency, it's a nice bonus, probably not critical for a team's success, though. Unless you make the Datsyuk pick as part of your edge. That potential is part of the reason why I'd promote drafting pure talent in later rounds, btw. The Habs have done some very good things that way with picks like Streit and Grabovski and SKost, D'Agostini, Halak. I like that. I don't really get the picks like Kishel or Johnson on somebody's connected longshot say-so when the talent isn't all that apparent, though. Those are the guys you sign later instead, since probably nobody else wanted them in the draft either. But a lot of teams handle that stuff a lot worse than the Habs IMHO.

* - (Of course, you'd have to tune the %ages by round, etc, and the scouting and drafting can't be treated as completely independent events, just making a vastly generalized example above).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Andy

Quote:
Nope. Not here. You criticize your team it has to mean that you should go and cheer for another one. You criticize Timmins, it has to meant that you want him gone. A world of Black and White, no room for the grey.
No one is getting mad about criticism. People are getting mad at statements like these. "Andrei is a bust"..."Sergie sucks"...."D'agostini is useless if he's not scoring goals"...."Why didn't we draft Lucic over Maxwell, even though Lucic had 8 goals and 17 points in 60 games in that Junior year"

You can criticize, but use some intelligence. I never attack you Whitesnake when you critcize because what you say has logic to it, what pisses me off is the people that want to throw players under a bus who haven't played more than two nhl seasons, because these are the same people that come back when these players are traded and say "HEY! why did we trade them!"

No one is saying Timmins is perfect, no one is claiming he is God either, we're just merely pointing out the fact weren't for him our depth would be extremely thin.

You can have all the stars you want on a team, no depth=no team. Lecavalier and St.Louis haven;t helped their team, Heatley, Alfredsson and Spezza didn't help their team get to the playoffs.

I'd rather have a team where every play on it can compete and contribute than have a star player.

We have our depth thanks to timmins, all we need now is a star and I think that's up to the gm to do his job to bring in that type of player to push over the edge.

The odds of drafting a star is slim, there are barely 30 stars in the league right now, so imagine the odds of drafting one.

It's 8 years Timmins is with us, and it's only been two-three years since these drafted players have been cracking the line up and the majority of our better ones are still in junior or have just moved on from junior. It takes more than just two-three nhl seasons to become stars. See Richards, Carter, Getzlaf, Perry all these guys became impact players in their 3rd and 4th years. Give it time and allow the players to grow into players.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:35 AM
FinnHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
It's 8 years Timmins is with us, and it's only been two-three years since these drafted players have been cracking the line up and the majority of our better ones are still in junior or have just moved on from junior. It takes more than just two-three nhl seasons to become stars. See Richards, Carter, Getzlaf, Perry all these guys became impact players in their 3rd and 4th years. Give it time and allow the players to grow into players.

Big question is that have we any prospects in our organization with great potential to be star player? I highly doubt that. I see lot of 2nd and 3rd liners, nothing more. Timmins done good job, but he is overrated. We need impact players...

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:36 AM
TonyTinglebone

The only draft that I was really upset at was in '05 when we took Price. I really wanted either Kopitar or Bourdon. Namely because I thought we were fine in goal with Theo. Now I am kinda happy since Theo crapped out and Price looks to have a bright future.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I don't think you understand the points of message boards. No one said they disliked Timmins. We are discussing that Timmins might be overrated. We are not saying that we hate the Habs. I have been a Habs fan since 89. But I'm a hockey fan first. When you start defending the team (or player) with a blind eye, that's when you start to act like Erika.

What's the point to come here and say only positive things when they may not all be true? Montreal is great! Bob is great! Kovalev is great! Timmins is great! Yeah!! Happiness. I love Canada, but that doesn't stop the fact that I can go with less snow and more palm trees...

Montreal is a good team but they have problems. Bob is doing a good job but has made grave mistakes. Kovalev is talented but is inconsistent. Timmins seems to be picks alright, but some are questionable.. WE are here to discuss these things.

If I'm to write, "Souray is worth 7M a season," I hope someone will tell me, "I don't think you realize his defensive downside. You can spend your money better on a player like Pronger." And the adult thing is to reply, "Really? I didn't see that, let me look." We are discussing.

Someone may jump to the conclusion that Price is a bust or will never be a #1 goalie. It's fine to reply that he's 21 and need time to develop still. Some posters are young or maybe have different opinions based on their own hockey knowledge. But you can't start telling people to go cheer for another team if they don't agree with the present management. If that was the case, I would have stopped being a fan during the Houle era... I'll always sway my favoritism towards the Habs no matter who runs the team. but that will not stop me from discussing why I think they are struggling...
Great post...there is NOTHING wrong with a discussion about management, etc.

And that's kind of exactly why message boards even exist.

Just to bring up another point though - I think it would be difficult for any player to come up in Montreal. The ONLY players that would flourish are players like Crosby and Ovechkin - franchise players.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
People, the job of the scout is to draft players that have the skills and potential to make the NHL. In some cases (as with the Habs) the head scout is in charge of making sure the pre-pro development of that player is the best it could possibly be. I think it's hard to say that Timmins has not done both extremely well. Not only have our players had success at the junior level, but the Habs have done a great job with their development camps etc. making sure the pre-pro process has gone well. Even our AHL teams have had success despite typically being short on "career ahler" talent. But once you get to the NHL, it's not necessarily the scout's fault if the player does not take the next step.
Some people may disagree but environment, the coach, the system you play in, the players you play with had a lot to do with how a player develops once he makes the NHL. At least this is true for 95% of the players. I think generational players like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk would do well in just about any system. But for the rest...
Great post...that's something that I never really thought of - the differentiation between scouting and development.

But isn't it weird that players tend to do better in the minors and then just crumble in Montreal???

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Cyrrus147

Overrated ? Yes. But that doesn't mean he's not doing a decent job.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:04 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
i don't think he's overrated, but i do think he's been making some bad 1st round pics. He's been good in the later rounds, but his only good 1st pic has been Price...Chipchura is almost officially a bust, Akost is getting there (if you consider getzlaf, parise, richards, brown and carter were drafted after him).

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
i don't think he's overrated, but i do think he's been making some bad 1st round pics. He's been good in the later rounds, but his only good 1st pic has been Price...Chipchura is almost officially a bust, Akost is getting there (if you consider getzlaf, parise, richards, brown and carter were drafted after him).
Chipchura is really good in Hamilton this year. And he suffered a devastating Achilles tendon injury that pretty much hampered his skating. I still believe that he can be a really good shut down centerman with some offensive skills. He takes really good decisions with the puck and always does the smart or safe play. Akost isn't a bust, he played 2 seasons. Is Bobby Ryan a bust?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
The draft is not entirely a crapshoot. People that want to believe that are just trying to protect a guy they like a lot. 'Cause strangely, Timmins was a god for the late round steals, but it's not his fault for his first rounds "mistakes".

In the first two rounds, there's less crapshoot...I mean, you can have a good idea of who's going to reach the NHL and who's gonna bust. As for how good those players will become, that's the crapshoot part IMO. Projections are crapshoot. Timmins is very good as finding NHL talents, but is he as good when it comes to projections? That, I'm not sure. It's either him and his crew, or the Habs development system. Maybe we would benefit more from an offensive system in the AHL...???

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
How can you look at it like that? It's not working like this. He's in the NHL, he's a two time 20+ goals scorer, and he can still be better. He's a NHL player! He's no bust.

Based on your logic, you could also say that he's a steal if you consider Jessiman, Nielson, Bernier, Tambellini and Boyle...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:17 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
How can you look at it like that? It's not working like this. He's in the NHL, he's a two time 20+ goals scorer, and he can still be better. He's a NHL player! He's no bust.

Based on your logic, you could also say that he's a steal if you consider Jessiman, Nielson, Bernier, Tambellini and Boyle...

you make a good point, maybe i just expect so much from him because of his obvious potential, he's fast he's got hands hes got an amazing wrist shot...i just wished he showed up everygame

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote