Lehtinen thinking about retirement...

Old
04-21-2009, 07:12 AM
FofH

vCash: 500
Lehtinen thinking about retirement...

Hi, didn't see this here

source:http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/uu...asp?id=1677063

So basically what it says, that because all the injuries, Lehtinen says that retirement is one option. Last season he was suffering all sort of pain in lower stomach, neck and left side. He also mentions a nerve pain which took his touch from other arm.

"It's very hard to hurt again after long rehabilitation. It feels that coming back is harder and harder."

I hope that he recovers fully at the offseason and comes back stronger than ever :/

Last edited by FofH: 04-21-2009 at 07:59 AM.
FofH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Sony Eriksson*

This retirement will pain me more than Modano due to the fact that Leht's gave 110% every single game. Modano is 50/50 99% of the time.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 08:46 AM
BigG44

He told the Dallas media:

Quote:
Jere Lehtinen said he needs a physical and mental break this summer, but is prepared to come back strong and healthy next season. He wants to stay in Dallas. "I want to come back, especially being here so long and a season like this, you want to get back and get the team on top again." Lehtinen said. "It's been so great here and we've had a chance every year to go far and this year was a disappointing season overall and I want to come back and be a part of a good team again, a top team."
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...n-meeting.html

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
FofH

That's strange, has his mind changed in couple of weeks or has the writer understood something wrongly. Hope that he comes back next season.

Old
04-21-2009, 09:07 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I expect that he will be back next year

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I'd prefer it if he stayed in Dallas.

Lehtinen doesn't belong in any other team's colours, unless it's the blue and white of Team Finland.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:31 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FofH View Post
That's strange, has his mind changed in couple of weeks or has the writer understood something wrongly. Hope that he comes back next season.
By writer, do you mean Heika, the reporter from Dallas, or the reporter from Finland?

IIRC, Lehtinen's quotes were made to a group of media reporters, and their may be video footage somewhere. Plus, Lehtinen's speaks English very well. I don't think he was misquoted in the Dallas papers.

I doubt he changed his mind. It sounds like he was more open with the extent of his injuries to the Finnish reporter, and Lehtinen just agreed that retirement was an option but not necessarily a certainty. Based on both articles, I would say he’s dedicated to coming back but it will be tough physically. In other words, the only way he doesn’t return is if he physically can’t do it.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:38 AM
FofH

Meant the finnish reporter, the magazine where that was quoted is quite reliable. But the main thing is that it sucks that he is in the situation that he even consideres retiring And those nerve things are quite bad :/

Old
04-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FofH View Post
I'm thinking that it's at the point of his career that it's on his mind. Obviously, it has to be.

His contract is up and I'm sure the Stars want him back but there's no announced deal yet.

If he doesn't sign with the Stars, he's going to retire. He's not going to go to another team this point his career (especially since he's been here ever since he entered the league).

He'll back back next year when we make our push for the Cup, which I'm pretty sure the entire organization believes they can do. That said, I do think all 3 of our 99 guys will be gone by the start of the 10-11 season.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:41 AM
FofH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I'd prefer it if he stayed in Dallas.

Lehtinen doesn't belong in any other team's colours, unless it's the blue and white of Team Finland.
That's not the case, I think. And nowhere in the report is hinted that he wants to join another club.

Old
04-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Dr GLU

The disclosure of the nerve issue could explain his poor production late in the season and the talk that he "had to feel right" to play.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:08 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Thanks for posting, it's nice to solve some of these mystery injuries. I'm guessing the nerve damage came from that Pronger hit.

As much as I want Lehtinen back, if he's going to be in constant pain (not saying he is, it could dissipate obviously) then he needs to do what's right for himself.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Captain Awesome

Yeah, those are some serious problems to have and I hope he retires if he still has them come next season, because no one should be playing through that. I wish him the best, and I think it's pretty amazing that we've had two guys stay their whole careers.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:04 PM
catters078

The team needs he and zubov..

we saw how much losing two vetreans last year to retirement hurt, (nortstrom and barnes) and Zubov and Lehtinen are double the impact those two were..

I really hope they have a good refreshing healthy summer, and get the urge for one last season, who knows what the stars can do in 09/10...but we do need them.

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Chad_

Lehtinen via an article on DallasStars.com:
Quote:
“Of course, I want to come back,” said Lehtinen, who will be free to field offers and sign elsewhere, without any compensation for Dallas. “Especially being here so long and after a season like this, you want to get back and bring the team back on top again. I think it’s been so great here and we have had a chance every year to go far and this year, of course, it was a disappointing season overall. I want to come back and be a part of a good team again.”

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Sweet.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote