HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price = Fleury?

Old
04-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I should have known better than to try to talk about Price's struggles with a bunch of people that see none of his faults. Its like talking to a wall. The kid can let in 5 soft goals and yet its never his fault....he's only a kid or its the teams fault for giving up a shot....there is always an excuse when Price plays rotten and lets in weak goals.

Well....sorry, but thats not the case. The truth is, Price lets in weak goals that he should be stopping. He doesn't battle hard enough sometimes and make the big saves he needs to make. He's more concerned about making himself big and going down to a butterfly to make a save....well sometimes you have to scramble, dive and flop around to make saves and cover the puck.

The point I'm trying to make is that if Price is as good as everybody says he is, how come he's not making a difference in the Habs net and stealing wins for us??? All the hype surrounding the poor kid would make you believe that he is the second coming of Patrick Roy....but he is far from having the skill and concentration Roy had.

If anything, Halak gave us a better chance to win. He battles in the net and makes the saves the team needs him to. He's hardly ever out of position and he'll flop around or dive across the crease to make a save if he needs to. He worries more about keeping the puck out, then his making sure his butterfly looks good.

You are blind, Price made huge saves for us yesterday, 3 goals he could not stop

the offense is the problem

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:01 AM
malton

Quote:

If anything, Halak gave us a better chance to win. He battles in the net and makes the saves the team needs him to. He's hardly ever out of position and he'll flop around or dive across the crease to make a save if he needs to. He worries more about keeping the puck out, then his making sure his butterfly looks good.
Nice !

malton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by malton View Post
You can say what you want about Price but for a "goaltending coach" you think you would know a little more about what you are teaching. Price's main problem is that he doesn't come out to challenge his shooters. His positioning is not a problem at all, in fact it is one thing that the experts will never question.

OMG

Price comes out to the top of his crease on almost every shot....so you have no clue what your saying.

The problem with that is, his angles are always off so even tho he comes out of his net to challenge the shooters, the shooter has a big hole on one side of the net to shoot at because Price isn't square to the shooter.

They showed a replay in the first game that showed this exact thing. Someone was coming in on Price and his left leg was out past the left post...giving the whole right side of the net to shoot at....and sure enough the shooter scored on the right side of the net and Price just done a butterfly hoping it would hit him.

Rollie Melanson is the real trouble if you ask me....he's gotta go!!!! Both Theodore and Price always go down, try to make themselves look big and hope the puck hits them instead of using their reflexes to react to a shot and directing it to the corner or catching it or whatever. Why do you think everybody shoots high-glove on Theodore?? Everybody knows he'd rather try to get a shoulder on it than to catch it....and thats because Melanson taught him to go down and look big and let the puck hit him. The same thing is happening to Price right now.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
I should have known better than to try to talk about Price's struggles with a bunch of people that see none of his faults. Its like talking to a wall. The kid can let in 5 soft goals and yet its never his fault....he's only a kid or its the teams fault for giving up a shot....there is always an excuse when Price plays rotten and lets in weak goals.

Well....sorry, but thats not the case. The truth is, Price lets in weak goals that he should be stopping. He doesn't battle hard enough sometimes and make the big saves he needs to make. He's more concerned about making himself big and going down to a butterfly to make a save....well sometimes you have to scramble, dive and flop around to make saves and cover the puck.

The point I'm trying to make is that if Price is as good as everybody says he is, how come he's not making a difference in the Habs net and stealing wins for us??? All the hype surrounding the poor kid would make you believe that he is the second coming of Patrick Roy....but he is far from having the skill and concentration Roy had.

Why can't he do everything on the ice and save the team? Because he's only 21 years old and he's having a sophomore slump. You are tired of that excuse, but why can't you acknowledge that it's ok for a player to have the sophomore jinx? It's ok for other players, but not to Price?

I'm asking you a question...last year, do you remember when Price had a 0.920 efficiency and was stealing games? I know he had a hard time in the playoffs, but that was to be expected at his age. Steve Mason is having the same difficulties right now. So yeah, do you remember?

Aren't you ready to give him a chance and see how he can bounce back? A 0.920 efficiency isn't good enough for you I guess...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:05 AM
malton

Quote:

Rollie Melanson is the real trouble if you ask me....he's gotta go!!!!
This i'll agree with.

malton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
You are blind, Price made huge saves for us yesterday, 3 goals he could not stop

the offense is the problem

So since he made a handful of huge saves, that means all is right with the world??? Any goalie is capable of making big saves....it doesn't make him any better.

Price should have had Thorntons goal(2nd goal) last night. It was just a wrister from the slot....but Price missed it somehow. He should have had the game winner on Ryder too....but since he didn't control his rebound, it went right to Ryder and he shot it into the wide open net because Price was out of position.

Watch the replays....he should have had the 2nd and 3rd goals!!! The first goal was a deflection, so I'll give him a break on that and the 4th goal was an empty netter...so there was 1 goal he had no chance on....not 3.

Old
04-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Nice !
It actually does make sense.

Halak, as good as he is, has always had poor rebound control, so he'll give up chances after a good positional save, in which he needs to flop or dive to make another save.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:13 AM
otto bond

Quote:
This i'll agree with.
same here

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
So since he made a handful of huge saves, that means all is right with the world??? Any goalie is capable of making big saves....it doesn't make him any better.

Price should have had Thorntons goal(2nd goal) last night. It was just a wrister from the slot....but Price missed it somehow. He should have had the game winner on Ryder too....but since he didn't control his rebound, it went right to Ryder and he shot it into the wide open net because Price was out of position.

Watch the replays....he should have had the 2nd and 3rd goals!!! The first goal was a deflection, so I'll give him a break on that and the 4th goal was an empty netter...so there was 1 goal he had no chance on....not 3.
The problem in Montreal is that we ask for perfection in everything. A goaltender can't make mistakes...Timmins always have to draft the best player because he has to know which one of the 200 youngsters will come out to be the best...Gainey have to get star player without giving much...

I mean, come on, it's not working like that. Every goaltenders make mistakes like Price made yesterday. The only that don't make any are the one that get shutouts. Almost every goal can be stopped...Thomas could have stopped the two goals against him...Price too...but guess what, it's normal to let goals in.

And I'm still waiting for you to answer my questions of my earlier post...

Old
04-21-2009, 09:17 AM
TheCH*

Gainey really ****ed up with Carey Price. Last year there were stanley cup expectations for this team, and Gainey placed all that responsibility at the deadline on this kid way before he was ready. I have never seen such bad goaltending as what we got it the Philly series.

This year the cup expectations were definitely still there half way through the year. Then for the complete second half Price has another epic meltdown.

At least with Fleury in Pit, there were no expectations in his first few years so he had time to come into his own without the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I doubt Price has any better an nhl career then Trevor Kidd.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Why can't he do everything on the ice and save the team? Because he's only 21 years old and he's having a sophomore slump. You are tired of that excuse, but why can't you acknowledge that it's ok for a player to have the sophomore jinx? It's ok for other players, but not to Price?

I'm asking you a question...last year, do you remember when Price had a 0.920 efficiency and was stealing games? I know he had a hard time in the playoffs, but that was to be expected at his age. Steve Mason is having the same difficulties right now. So yeah, do you remember?

Aren't you ready to give him a chance and see how he can bounce back? A 0.920 efficiency isn't good enough for you I guess...

Yes....I do remember that hot streak....it was similar to the hot streak he had this year....but both times he fell back down to the mediocre play after the streak was over and showed his true colors. Thats part of the problem!!! Inconsistancy!!!

He goes from being nearly unbeatable to letting 5 goals in a game. There needs to be a consistant medium.

Thats why I like Halak so much more. He's going to consistantly keep the puck out and make big saves, but he is going to let in at least 2 goals a game. The big thing with Halak is that he doesn't get worked up if he lets in a bad goal. He bounces back and plays just as consistant as he did before the goal went in. Price doesn't have that ability. He lets in a bad goal and you might as well pull him. He'll make a few more saves, but then he'll let in a softy again.

In Halak's last 10 starts, he seen an average of about 40 shots a game and he averaged about 2 or 3 goals against. He stole wins against San Jose, Vancouver and a couple other hot teams. He was the most consistant goalie for us down the stretch and yet he was the one sitting on the bench....not Price. I feel bad for Halak and I hope he gets a #1 job with someone because he is a great goalie and he deserves it. He wasn't the best goalie in the AHL for 3 years in a row for nothing!!!!

Old
04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Thats why I like Halak so much more. He's going to consistantly keep the puck out and make big saves, but he is going to let in at least 2 goals a game. The big thing with Halak is that he doesn't get worked up if he lets in a bad goal. He bounces back and plays just as consistant as he did before the goal went in. Price doesn't have that ability. He lets in a bad goal and you might as well pull him. He'll make a few more saves, but then he'll let in a softy again.

In Halak's last 10 starts, he seen an average of about 40 shots a game and he averaged about 2 or 3 goals against. He stole wins against San Jose, Vancouver and a couple other hot teams. He was the most consistant goalie for us down the stretch and yet he was the one sitting on the bench....not Price. I feel bad for Halak and I hope he gets a #1 job with someone because he is a great goalie and he deserves it. He wasn't the best goalie in the AHL for 3 years in a row for nothing!!!!

Quite clearly you forgot the what, 13 straight starts, Halak had in January where he posted a whopping sub .890 save %. Clearly Habs fans have short memories. Halak just had a hot streak that clearly outweighs anything any keeper has done before.

He was solid before that cold streak in January, but Price was better in the early season, posting a .920% before his injury.

But whatever, you seem to want to forget anything that makes sense and backed up by actual facts.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

Yes....I remember that HOT STREAK!!! Goalies and teams have hot streaks all the time, but its how you play when your not on a hot streak that matters and shows what your really worth. Price letting in 4-5 goals a game when he's not on his hot streak....that shows that he's got a long long way to go.

There....question answered....happy??

Old
04-21-2009, 09:24 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Gainey really ****ed up with Carey Price. Last year there were stanley cup expectations for this team, and Gainey placed all that responsibility at the deadline on this kid way before he was ready. I have never seen such bad goaltending as what we got it the Philly series.

This year the cup expectations were definitely still there half way through the year. Then for the complete second half Price has another epic meltdown.

At least with Fleury in Pit, there were no expectations in his first few years so he had time to come into his own without the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Thank god you're not a very good judge of talent, or I would be worried.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:24 AM
MM425

Except it's easy to argue that Price as been MORE impressive than Fleury was his first few seasons.

But yeah... both guys got the "trial by fire" so to speak and Fleury was lableled as a bust early and look how he's hit his stride.

And anybody that thinks these playoffs has been price's fault needs to get their head checked. It's not his fault our defense can't make a ****** breakout pass

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Yes....I remember that HOT STREAK!!! Goalies and teams have hot streaks all the time, but its how you play when your not on a hot streak that matters and shows what your really worth. Price letting in 4-5 goals a game when he's not on his hot streak....that shows that he's got a long long way to go.

There....question answered....happy??
He must have had a pretty long hot streak to get those stats...and how do you know he showed his true colors when he was having a few bad games? Maybe it's the other way around. We won't know for a while...

He still has work to do, and he was rushed to the NHL, but we can't say he's a bust because he's way too young for that. Fleury had the same path and he's turning out to be a good goaltender...

Old
04-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Quite clearly you forgot the what, 13 straight starts, Halak had in January where he posted a whopping sub .890 save %. Clearly Habs fans have short memories. Halak just had a hot streak that clearly outweighs anything any keeper has done before.

He was solid before that cold streak in January, but Price was better in the early season, posting a .920% before his injury.

But whatever, you seem to want to forget anything that makes sense and backed up by actual facts.

I'm doing the same thing as most people in here, except I'm supporting Halak instead of Price.

I can forget the poor starts Halak has just like you can forget the poor starts Price has had. It works both ways and there are a lot more people that forget about all the soft goals Price has let in then the ones Halak let in, even though Halak has let in fewer soft goals than Price this year.

I remember the 4 game winning streak Halak had where his GAA was under 2 and his save % was .930 something and he seen between 40-50 shots in all 4 games. I have no problem remembering that because it was needed to keep the team in the playoff hunt!!! If he would have lost those games, the Habs would have slipped to about 11th in the conference....but nobody else remembers that because it wasn't Price who done it....am I right?

Old
04-21-2009, 09:30 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Except it's easy to argue that Price as been MORE impressive than Fleury was his first few seasons.

But yeah... both guys got the "trial by fire" so to speak and Fleury was lableled as a bust early and look how he's hit his stride.

And anybody that thinks these playoffs has been price's fault needs to get their head checked. It's not his fault our defense can't make a ****** breakout pass
Not to mention the fact that our defence backs into our zone so much that they end up giving up shots from prime areas in the slot all the time. And is it me or does our defence not know how to stick check properly? How many times have pucks been deflected in front of Price? Its like the Bruins have free reign to knock any puck out of the air when they're in front of the net...ohhh now I see...it's because their players GO TO THE FRONT OF THE NET!

Our defence has been absolutly putrid this year and in the playoffs. How many scoring chances have we given up? Compare that to the amount of scoring chances we have had so far in these playoffs and you have your answer. Nobody is talking about how Thomas has been great...because frankly, he hasn't had to be. Most Montreal shots have been from the outside and they have not had the chance to grab any rebounds because were always second on the puck.

Old
04-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
I'm doing the same thing as most people in here, except I'm supporting Halak instead of Price.

I can forget the poor starts Halak has just like you can forget the poor starts Price has had. It works both ways and there are a lot more people that forget about all the soft goals Price has let in then the ones Halak let in, even though Halak has let in fewer soft goals than Price this year.

I remember the 4 game winning streak Halak had where his GAA was under 2 and his save % was .930 something and he seen between 40-50 shots in all 4 games. I have no problem remembering that because it was needed to keep the team in the playoff hunt!!! If he would have lost those games, the Habs would have slipped to about 11th in the conference....but nobody else remembers that because it wasn't Price who done it....am I right?
We all remember that...

And it's true, Halak should have started more games this year...at least at the end. But you just can't write Price off yet...

I like Halak, but I think Price will have the better career. We'll see though...they are both young.

Old
04-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

No, nobody has forgotten that.

I just said you're pointing out 4 games when you've forgotten the other 20+ he has played.

I thought we should have played Halak yesterday. Not because it was Price's fault, but because we needed something to light up a fire.

Doesn't mean I have to bash Price to prove my point. Which is something you don't seem to understand.

It's like it's impossible to like 2 players competing for the same spot in this city. It's ridiculous.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:31 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Thank god you're not a very good judge of talent, or I would be worried.
You are just blinded by your fanboyism! Price has really sucked this year and his problem is between his ears, and that makes it harder to overcome. Thats why i have no faith that he will, definitely not in this pressure cooker.

You can disagree with me all you want, but its my opinion and only time will tell.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

yeah watch the replay, you could also see on the third goal that he made 2 huge saves right before and that the third could not be stopped because nobody in defense could cover Ryder for ****

so he had 1 goal he could have stopped (if there was nobody if front of him) and it doesn't change the fact we could not score enough goals

Old
04-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

Great post!!!

Everything you said is true. Price was rushed into a high pressure situation and he couldn't/still can't handle it.

The difference between Fleury and Price is bang on too....Fleury started in the NHL on a Penguins team that had no chance to make the playoffs so there was no pressure on him at all. If the Pens were a playoff team, Fleury would have been sent to the minors to develop his game....which is what Gainey should have done with Price.

I think Price has more talent than Trevor Kidd though, but then again there was a lot of hype about Kidd just like there is about Price...so I guess time will tell.

Old
04-21-2009, 09:36 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
You are just blinded by your fanboyism! Price has really sucked this year and his problem is between his ears, and that makes it harder to overcome. Thats why i have no faith that he will, definitely not in this pressure cooker.

You can disagree with me all you want, but its my opinion and only time will tell.
I'm not blinded by anything, i'm just being rational. Try it at one point, it does wonders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
yeah watch the replay, you could also see on the third goal that he made 2 huge saves right before and that the third could not be stopped because nobody in defense could cover Ryder for ****

so he had 1 goal he could have stopped (if there was nobody if front of him) and it doesn't change the fact we could not score enough goals
Are you sure?? I thought that an average of 1.5 goals scored per game would get us farther then down 0-3...thats too bad.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-21-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old
04-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Are you sure?? I thought that an average of 1.5 goals scored per game would get us farther then down 0-3...thats too bad.
Its obviously Price's fault... the kid can't buy a goal