Notices

Lehtonen's Debut Succesful

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Heater15

vCash: 500
Lehtonen's Debut Succesful

Ilya Kovalchuk was benched by Hartley after a defensive lapse which resulted in a Florida goal. The goal came around the 15:00 mark and Kovy was benched for a good 10 minutes. After Sutton tied it up on the PP with around 5 minutes left, Hartley let Kovalchuk loose and it payed dividends as he scored with around 24 seconds left to give the Thrashers a come from behind 3-2 win. Dany Heatley scored the other goal. Lehtonen wasn't really tested all game but on the first goal he had no chance. The second goal was kind of soft, but had Kovalchuk not humped the dog, it wouldn't have happened. He seemed very calm in net and his puckhandling surprised me. I hope we see some more starts for him this season to get his confidence going. I thought Heatley was our best player tonight. He should have had at least 2 more goals and an assist or 2. He made a pretty sweet play in front of Luongo to get the puck to Robitaille, but the post bailed Roberto out. Heater also hit the post on a breakaway. I think everyone out there was more focused on whether or not a brawl was going to break out after Sutton layed out Samuelsson.

Just an interesting fact was how many high draft picks were playing in this game. Atlanta: Heatley, Kovalchuk, Stefan, Lehtonen
Florida Luongo, Bouwmeester, Horton, Weiss...Nedorost although a later 1st rounder

Old
03-19-2004, 10:05 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kari looked very good. The first win of many for that young man.

Sutton was terrific tonight.

Nothing like Friday Night Hockey at The Bulb.

Old
03-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Holly Gunning

I don't really agree with either one of you.

Kari wasn't really himself last night. He didn't play a calm positional game like he usually does. He flailed around MUCH more than normal, probably from nervousness. I thought he was lucky to get out of the first period with just one goal against. There were a couple times Florida just missed. And the Thrashers were blocking shots right and left. They wanted to get the win for the kid, that was clear.

That said though, neither of the goals he gave up were bad goals. One was on a 5 on 3 power play, and the other was a backhand roofer as a guy came from behind the net. Maybe he shouldn't have been crouched down as far as he was, but that guy shouldn't have even had that chance but did due to Ilya's horrible turnover.

Old
03-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Heater15

That's the first time I've seen Lehtonen play since the WJC and to me he looked like he was relaxed. But I don't know how he usually plays so I guess I can't really say. But if you think he looked alot more nervous than what I did, then this guy is going to be awesome.

Did anyone else hear what Jokinen said about Lehtonen? Somewhere along the lines of Lehtonen is more prepared for the NHL than Luongo was when he broke in.

Old
03-20-2004, 09:40 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
I don't really agree with either one of you.

Kari wasn't really himself last night. He didn't play a calm positional game like he usually does. He flailed around MUCH more than normal, probably from nervousness. I thought he was lucky to get out of the first period with just one goal against. There were a couple times Florida just missed. And the Thrashers were blocking shots right and left. They wanted to get the win for the kid, that was clear.

That said though, neither of the goals he gave up were bad goals. One was on a 5 on 3 power play, and the other was a backhand roofer as a guy came from behind the net. Maybe he shouldn't have been crouched down as far as he was, but that guy shouldn't have even had that chance but did due to Ilya's horrible turnover.
Yikes, if that was a bad game for him, I'd love to see when he is actually on his game

Anyone know when he will get his next start. I had to work last night and I want to see him play.

Old
03-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater15
That's the first time I've seen Lehtonen play since the WJC and to me he looked like he was relaxed. But I don't know how he usually plays so I guess I can't really say. But if you think he looked alot more nervous than what I did, then this guy is going to be awesome.

Did anyone else hear what Jokinen said about Lehtonen? Somewhere along the lines of Lehtonen is more prepared for the NHL than Luongo was when he broke in.
In Finland we said he had nerves of ice.
That'll probably be the last time you see him nervous, he doesn't get nervous.. like at all..

Old
03-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Holly Gunning

I did think he got better as the game went on. He didn't see as many shots later though.

Old
03-21-2004, 04:51 AM
dunwoody_joe

I missed the first 5 minutes (damn Atlanta traffic) but from there on Kari was solid and positionally sound.

He broke down a couple of times but was otherwise dominant. He handled the puck better than I expected. The first goal was not his fault and the 2nd was a superior play. I would have given him a star (it should have been Ilya, Dany and Kari).

I see what all the fuss is about. As he matures, fills out and gains experience and confidence we'll finally see NHL caliber goaltending in a Thrasher sweater--for a longtime to come.

Old
03-21-2004, 07:14 AM
Jokerit Wasp

Does anyone know a site where i can see pics of lehtonens debut please?

Old
03-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Reign Nateo

This kid is a star in the making. He looked very composed for a kid playing his 1st NHL game. Atlanta has a very bright future in this league with the nucleous they have built.

You guys will have your starter for the next 10 years when this kid is ready...

Old
03-22-2004, 10:49 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
As he matures, fills out and gains experience and confidence we'll finally see NHL caliber goaltending in a Thrasher sweater--for a longtime to come.

Pasi Nurminen is actually a pretty good goalie.

Old
03-22-2004, 12:37 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Pasi Nurminen is actually a pretty good goalie.
Too many soft goals. His lack of consistency has cost the Thrashers a shot at the 8th spot.

Old
03-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Hockey Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Too many soft goals. His lack of consistency has cost the Thrashers a shot at the 8th spot.

And don't forget DW's lack of adding quaility D-Men during the off-season, as well the lack of trade-deadline moves to better the team playoff chances! Please, Lethonen, Coburn and Slater are not the only good prospects we have in the system!

Old
03-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
I don't think it's his fault the thrashers aren't in the playoffs. For every soft goal he gives, he makes 5 great saves. Pasi has been much better than the Ducks goalies this year. (Ducks and Thrash are the only teams I watch a lot)

Old
03-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Jokerit Wasp

Where can i see photos of Kari in action for the Thrashers??? please help somebody!

Old
03-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Hockey Mojo

[QUOTE=Lyons71]

I don't think it's his fault the thrashers aren't in the playoffs. For every soft goal he gives, he makes 5 great saves.

???????????????????????????????????
True, it's not all his fault. I guess you didn't see the Thrashers lose in overtime last week against the Sabres? Five great saves do not = a soft goal in my book.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:55 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Any chance Lehtonen starts tonight?

Old
03-24-2004, 01:05 AM
ATLThrashers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin
Any chance Lehtonen starts tonight?
He is in net tonight against Washington.

Old
03-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Safir*

You gotta love, what Olli Jokinen said about Kari in the ACJ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC
lorida Panthers center Olli Jokinen has a unique perspective with which to measure Thrashers goalie Kari Lehtonen. As a result, Jokinen isn't afraid to make some lofty pronouncements.

Jokinen, the Panthers' top scorer the past two seasons, was traded to the New York Islanders for the 1999-2000 season and has played alongside current Florida goalie Roberto Luongo since.

Luongo was named an All-Star this season and is regarded as a strong candidate for the Hart (MVP) and Vezina (top goaltender) trophies as one of the game's two top goalies along with New Jersey's Martin Brodeur.

So how does 20-year-old Lehtonen, with whom Jokinen roomed two years ago with the Finnish team at the World Championships, stack up?

"I look back when Louie came in the league his first year," Jokinen said. "I've got to be honest, this kid is better than Luongo was when Luongo came in the league.

"This guy, he will be the guy I'd build a franchise around. They've got [Dany] Heatley and [Ilya] Kovalchuk already, but this guy is going to win a lot of games for this team. I think he's capable of playing in this league already."
Thanks Olli.

Old
03-24-2004, 07:43 PM
f1nn

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
Bravo so true

Old
03-24-2004, 11:02 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Undefeated

Old
03-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Holly Gunning

That reminds me of one of my favorite t-shirts.

Emory Football: Still undefeated.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 03-24-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old
03-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Hockey Mojo

Let's test him against the Devils Friday?

Old
03-25-2004, 06:48 PM
dunwoody_joe

Another thing I've noticed about Lehtonen: the teams plays a tighter defense in front of him. Maybe they try harder, maybe Kari settles the team with his style. Who knows!

But one thing is true of all great goalies--the team plays better in front of them. Could it be true of Kari?

Old
03-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Dupuis>Ilya

We've played two crap teams the games Kari has played. Let's wait until we play someone good before deciding whether or not the team plays better in front of Kari.

Closed Thread