HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calgary this year's Anaheim?

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2004, 10:00 PM
ATG

vCash: 500
Calgary this year's Anaheim?

Their are some very similiar similiarities between these two teams if you really consider it.

1)Hot Goaltending down the stretch-Kipper is right on par with the Jiggy last year

2)Small deadline acquistions make a major impact-Guys like Niedmayer last year in anaheim,Nilson and Nieminen look like their beginning to break out.

Thoughts?Im a leaf so im not biased

Old
03-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
One might say that you could make a case for Nashville.

Old
03-19-2004, 10:17 PM
icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Not if they can't hold a lead...

Old
03-19-2004, 10:22 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Not really. Look at them since getting SUllivan. He has conributed most of their offense. If he was out of the picture Nashville could easily be on the outside looking in. The Flames have a lot more depth now and don't rely on one guy to score or make plays. Plus we have two hot goalies. Turek in his last stretch of 6 or so games is like 1.64GA and 9.40 or so and well Kipper, is just amazing.

Old
03-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Their are some very similiar similiarities between these two teams if you really consider it.

1)Hot Goaltending down the stretch-Kipper is right on par with the Jiggy last year

2)Small deadline acquistions make a major impact-Guys like Niedmayer last year in anaheim,Nilson and Nieminen look like their beginning to break out.

Not if they cotinue on their streak. They coulds even end up in the top 4 at this rate!

Old
03-20-2004, 01:41 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
Not if they cotinue on their streak. They coulds even end up in the top 4 at this rate!
Not if Dallas keeps winning Calgary plays Dallas on Monday though, that game will be pivotal.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:47 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Not if Dallas keeps winning Calgary plays Dallas on Monday though, that game will be pivotal.
Forget Dallas, beat Nashville!! Do your brothers in Edmonton a big favour.

Old
03-20-2004, 03:25 AM
flyercide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great

I think Darryl Sutter is one of the best coaches in the league. So I don't think this is a fluke season. I've been expecting Calgary to turn it around since day one of his hiring. As GM he also has total control over the team. If a player doesn't perform etc he can trade them.

Old
03-20-2004, 03:27 AM
flyercide

Nashville would get my vote for surprise team of the year.

Old
03-20-2004, 03:32 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Forget Dallas, beat Nashville!! Do your brothers in Edmonton a big favour.
Agreed.. I never thought I'd say this but GOOO FLAMES!!

Old
03-20-2004, 03:34 AM
MatsSundin13

Send a message via MSN to MatsSundin13 Send a message via Yahoo to MatsSundin13
I dont think i agree with them being this years "ducks"because i dont think they are the underdogs in the west...everyone knows these guys got skill and a great chance to do well...everyone knows they got solid goaltending and all that stuff....Calgary has shown us that they can do well in tough games....

Now Nashville i do believe they are the underdogs in the playoffs...that i do agree with...Nashville has the potential to upset a top team in the first round IMO...However i think they may have a tough time in the playoffs due to no experience except maybe sullivan on there team...and if i were Nashville id worry about Tootoo taking penalitys that they gotta kill off

Old
03-20-2004, 12:14 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I do not want to see Calgary play Dallas. If they could only play the Canucks some how.........

Old
03-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Schenn02

I don't want them to be this years Anaheim simply for the fact because we know what has happened to Cinderella teams. Anaheim won't make the playoffs this year and now we don't wanna curse it saying the Flames won't make it next year if theres no lockout! GO FLAMES GO!!

Old
03-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Actually, MTL, is this years anaheim

Old
03-20-2004, 01:51 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Montreal definitely has the potential to become this year's Anaheim, much more than Calgary or Nashville.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:04 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Nashville better get their backline healthy real quick or there will be no playoffs for the Preds. They've been without two of their top 3 Dmen for 5 games and it's showing. They've gone 0-1-3-1 in that span. When you are giving two rookies over 50 minutes of ice time (like against Edmonton), you are going to have some hiccups. These past few games have been just that.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Hmmmmm... how do you figure? If you're going to say something like that, back it up with some reasons why. I mean it is kind of a compliment but not really, because I can't see the habs flopping next season.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Calgary is not this year's Anaheim because everyone sees them coming! This year's Anaheim is going to be some team *no-one* is talking about (my pick are the Isles )

Old
03-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

The only teams with the possibility to be this year's "Anaheim" are Edmonton and NYI.

Old
03-20-2004, 06:35 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Nobody is this years Anaheim yet. Besides, given the propaganda on this forum, Montreal cannot be this years Anaheim as they are a "legitimate contender."

I'd rather not be this years Anaheim. Being considered an inferior team riding a goalie playing over his head to the finals, only to completely vanish the next year is not a position to relish.

Old
03-20-2004, 06:45 PM
X8oD

The most overrated Phrase?

"_________ is this years Anaheim"

Old
03-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Nobody is this years Anaheim yet. Besides, given the propaganda on this forum, Montreal cannot be this years Anaheim as they are a "legitimate contender."

I'd rather not be this years Anaheim. Being considered an inferior team riding a goalie playing over his head to the finals, only to completely vanish the next year is not a position to relish.
Actually, they were a fairly decent team that was severely underrated, playing in front of one of the best goaltending performances in years. No, the team in front did not get them as far as they did, but alot of key components(Rooch, Carney, etc.) did. Carney be considered a marginal top 4 guy if it wasn't for people watching him shutting down Fedorov, Modano, and Gaborik.

As for being Anaheim, alot of teams would want to be in their position. Given their forward depth, decent defense, and stellar goaltending, they should have a good team next season.

Old
03-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
That's a foolish statement. Most GMs in the NHL would sacrifice a season if it meant getting one chance at winning the Stanley Cup. Anaheim's got a chance in a lifetime last year and almost cashed out. There's nothing to regret about that.

Closed Thread