HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Daigle nominated for Masterson Trophy (did I just enter the Twilight Zone?)

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2004, 12:04 AM
lenmchast

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to lenmchast Send a message via Yahoo to lenmchast
Daigle nominated for Masterson Trophy (did I just enter the Twilight Zone?)

espn.com's NHL page had a story saying the Minnesota Wild have nominated Alexandre Daigle for the Bill Masterson Trophy. Maybe I'm not being fair here, but am I the only one who finds this completely crazy? I mean, here's a guy who's hyped out the wazoo when he's drafted, then just goes through the motions playing for Ottawa, here in Philly, Edmonton, Tampa Bay, and New York; then he leaves the NHL to go for an acting career, only to come back for both Pittsburgh and now Minnesota. So in other words, he should get a trophy awarded to a dedicated and persevering hockey player for leaving hockey because of laziness and an acting career, then coming back. Give me a break!

If I personally had to nominate a player for the Masterson Trophy, depending on how far the Flyers go in the playoffs, it would be Claude Lapointe; a dedicated, blue-collar style hockey player, who only left the game temporarily this season due to sorting out a problem with depression; not because he didn't want to do the extra hard work.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Pick someone from the Wild then. They don't really have anyone who fits the bill. To be frank, Daigle has done a pretty good job for himself this year. Earlier he was having a good offensive year, he went cold for a while but Jacques Lemaire actually has him playing defense which has been keeping him in the lineup. Daigle truly has rededicated himself this season, and I see no folly in this.

Old
03-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Pick someone from the Wild then. They don't really have anyone who fits the bill. To be frank, Daigle has done a pretty good job for himself this year. Earlier he was having a good offensive year, he went cold for a while but Jacques Lemaire actually has him playing defense which has been keeping him in the lineup. Daigle truly has rededicated himself this season, and I see no folly in this.

Agreed...he's redefined his style of play under Lemaire and it's paying dividends for the Wild. If Gaborik had half his success this season they'd be battling for a playoff spot right now. Just out of curiosity...was Daigle really lazy or just overwhelmed by the size and speed of the NHL....I think the pressure may have been a little much for him. I also feel he's benefitted being "invisible," in Minnesota. I like the nomination, it's nice to see Daigle turn the corner.

Closed Thread