HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Every first round matchup looks to be AMAZING

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Karl Pilkington

vCash: 500

The way things are looking right now these will be the playoffs matchups in the East:

Tampa Bay vs. New York Islanders
Boston vs Montreal
Philadelphia vs New Jersey
Toronto vs Ottawa

Every one of those series is going to be incredible. The Habs-Bruins rivalry has been hot all season and every game they've played against eachother has been close and exciting. Phillie-Jersey are divisional rivals, and for anyone who saw their game last saturday, expect some of the same kind of fast gritty hockey... Toronto-Ottawa.. I don't even need to explain that one.

I would talk about how the west is going to be but its impossible to predict who's going to finish where... this is going to be the best playoffs in a looooong time.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:04 AM
GoM

I know....can't ****ing WAIT

Old
03-20-2004, 01:05 AM
albathegreat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
The way things are looking right now these will be the playoffs matchups in the East:

Tampa Bay vs. New York Islanders
Boston vs Montreal
Philadelphia vs New Jersey
Toronto vs Ottawa

Every one of those series is going to be incredible. The Habs-Bruins rivalry has been hot all season and every game they've played against eachother has been close and exciting. Phillie-Jersey are divisional rivals, and for anyone who saw their game last saturday, expect some of the same kind of fast gritty hockey... Toronto-Ottawa.. I don't even need to explain that one.

I would talk about how the west is going to be but its impossible to predict who's going to finish where... this is going to be the best playoffs in a looooong time.
I really think Islanders could beat Tampa, would they call up Webb to flatten everyone? I would if I was them, you cant really don anything to stop him, you cant hit him back because he never has the puck and he wont drop the gloves ( maybe only against the Leafs though )

Who knows what would happen in the other series, that all would be wars..

Old
03-20-2004, 01:05 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
first of many

Sharks are getting that 2 seed in the West. Colorado has a much rougher schedule the rest of the way, and they only have a 1 point lead. Dallas should end up the 4. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the 5.....though Calgary/Dallas would be an interesting series to watch.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:14 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almothegreat
I really think Islanders could beat Tampa, would they call up Webb to flatten everyone? I would if I was them, you cant really don anything to stop him, you cant hit him back because he never has the puck and he wont drop the gloves ( maybe only against the Leafs though )

Who knows what would happen in the other series, that all would be wars..
I do think the Isles have a good chance against Tampa.. This series kind of reminds me of Detroit-Anaheim last year.. and the Habs-Bruins a couple years ago... Then again, Rick Dipietro is no Jose Theodore or JS Giguere.. but we'll see.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:25 AM
MLSE

Quote:
I do think the Isles have a good chance against Tampa.. This series kind of reminds me of Detroit-Anaheim last year.. and the Habs-Bruins a couple years ago... Then again, Rick Dipietro is no Jose Theodore or JS Giguere.. but we'll see.
He sure isn't, but 1st overall...maybe he can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:32 AM
Blackjack

Quote:
Before the playoffs last year JS Giguere was no JS Giguere.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:40 AM
canucks666

you DO know there's a whole other conference too?

can't believe how biased east-coasterners are. People on the west coast are fully aware of both conferences.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
Before the playoffs last year JS Giguere was no JS Giguere.
He actually had a pretty decent regular season last year and even the year before. In 2003 he had 8 shutouts, 34 wins and .920 sv percentage. In 2002 he had 4 SOs, 20 wins and a .920 sv percentage. I hate the guy, and im not defending him, but Rick Dipietro isnt as good as Giguere, and I dont think he can be..

Old
03-20-2004, 01:42 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks666

can't believe how biased east-coasterners are. People on the west coast are fully aware of both conferences.
Quote:
Its too hard to predict how the west is going to be when the playoffs start.. im not being biased.. its just hard to talk about west playoff matchups when there's no way of telling what they will be.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Blackjack

Quote:
He actually had a pretty decent regular season last year and even the year before. In 2003 he had 8 shutouts, 34 wins and .920 sv percentage. In 2002 he had 4 SOs, 20 wins and a .920 sv percentage. I hate the guy, and im not defending him, but Rick Dipietro isnt as good as Giguere, and I dont think he can be..

Those are his GAA the 4 years before his 20 win season. This year his numbers are very comparable to DiPietro's.

Giguere had a real good regular season, before the playoffs last year, but nothing that would have predicted what he did. He got hot at the right time. DiPietro could do the same thing, though I admit it's pretty unlikely.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:48 AM
Blackjack

Quote:

So if someone makes a thread about how good their favorite team is, they should also make a thread about the 29 other teams in the leauge?

Old
03-20-2004, 02:00 AM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
yeah it's kinda hard to look at the 1st seed vs the 8th in the West when there's a change at the 8th spot almost daily.

but asuming they stay the same now till the playoffs here they are

Detroit vs Nashville
Colorado vs St.Louis
San Jose vs Calgary
Vancouver vs Dallas

1) Wings vs Preds would be good because of the Season Series, didn't the Preds win them all?

2) Colorado vs St.Louis would be good I think could really start a rivalry perhaps, Drake will stir up trouble as would Barnaby

3) San jose vs Calgary would be awesome, Kipprusoff vs his former team which threw him away to the desperate flames early in the season like he was trash.

4) 2 good teams in Vancouver and Dallas could be a tough series for both teams to go through.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:44 AM
canucks666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack

So if someone makes a thread about how good their favorite team is, they should also make a thread about the 29 other teams in the leauge?

not at all. But look at the title of the thread.

to you people on the east coast, "EVERY" means the eastern conference apparently. I call it like i see it

Old
03-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:

to you people on the east coast, "EVERY" means the eastern conference apparently. I call it like i see it
Doesnt mean that the playoffs series in the west won't be. I JUST CAN'T PREDICT what they will be, so I can't comment on how good they will be.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:59 AM
canucks666

Quote:
Doesnt mean that the playoffs series in the west won't be. I JUST CAN'T PREDICT what they will be, so I can't comment on how good they will be.

this is a freudian slip buddy. Admit it - to you only the east matters. Otherwise you would've said "Every EASTERN first round matchup"

it's not conscious - subconsciously you didn't even think about it - BECAUSE, subconsciously to you only the east matters.

Old
03-20-2004, 03:00 AM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Quote:
this is a freudian slip buddy. Admit it - to you only the east matters. Otherwise you would've said "Every EASTERN first round matchup"

it's not conscious - subconsciously you didn't even think about it - BECAUSE, subconsciously to you only the east matters.
You got us! it's all a big Eastern Conspiracy against the West, Back to the Drawing board Jose ol Chum.

Old
03-20-2004, 03:10 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:

Holy *******.. first of all if that were true, why would it matter? Do you not get the fact that I would talk about the west matchups if I could.. but then if I did someone would come on and post about how off my predictions for west matchups would be.. but if it makes you happy here's what I'm hoping they are:

Detroit vs Edmonton
Colorado vs St. Louis
San Jose vs Calgary
Dallas vs Vancouver

If Edmonton makes it they will be coming in the playoffs ssssteaming hot.. I think they'd have a fair chance against Detroit (Cujo or not...). (The problem here is that they probably won't make it.. but I think that an LA-Detroit series would be great too. LA plays just as quick as Edmonton, and works very hard).
Colorado and St. Louis would be somewhat interesting, but considering St. Louis doesnt have much of a goaltender, I think Colorado will take the series no problem. Calgary has been playing some great hockey of late.. then again so have the sharks. They have a young hard working team, and so do the Flames.. the best matchup in the west by far are those two teams. Dallas will be playing a Bertuzzi-less Canucks.. and lately the Canucks have been slipping, while Dallas is on fire as is their goalie. Meanwhile the Canucks have three mediocre goalies to back them up.

Old
03-20-2004, 03:26 AM
blah

Quote:

Is that a subtle knock on fans of Eastern Conf teams? Only Western Conf fans follow the entire NHL? Not everybody has Center Ice you know? He only commented on the teams he knew the most about. I see nothing wrong with that.

Quote:

Exactly, he said "Every", and did not limit it to the East only. What is your problem?

Quote:

You're backwards. If he thought only the east mattered he would've said "Every Eastern first round matchup." He did not. Where is his bias?
-----------
In the future, can you please keep your conspiracy theories and inflamatory posts about the fans of Eastern Conf teams to the ESPN boards, where they belong? I'm sure most of the posters here would greatly appreciate it.

Old
03-20-2004, 03:52 AM
canucks666

alright fine you guys don't get it.

whatever.

doesn't matter.

JoseTheo - i got no ill feelings or anything - peace?

Old
03-20-2004, 04:44 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:

whatever.

doesn't matter.

JoseTheo - i got no ill feelings or anything - peace?
Yeah its all good, don't worry about it.

Old
03-20-2004, 05:09 AM
X8oD

Quote:

whatever.

doesn't matter.
wow watching you rant in rave on the Moore Update topic, and then go off on somebody in this thread cause he didnt name Western Conference teams. What a way to settle into your surroundings. 25 posts and yer already *****ing at people. Hell it took me 300 before i did that.

Old
03-20-2004, 05:32 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

That's pretty funny... I'm in Edmonton, and everyone is talking about how close the east is. I mean, let's get serious. Real hockey fans are drooling to see the battle of Ontario and a rehash of the habs bruins rivalry. New Jersey is the defending champ, the Lightning have one of the best coaches in the league.

I don't hear a lot of people getting excited about any of the western match ups. Most of the excitement seems to surround the race for the last spot. I also think that most people assume that Detroit or Colorado are making it out of the west, so the matchups are moot points (I personally say look out for St. Louis).

People out east are also being treated to their favourite team's best seasons and chances at the cup, so of course that will be the focus. It also has a lot to do with the trade deadline moves, as I think everyone would agree that teams in the east seemed to make most of the big news.

Old
03-20-2004, 11:09 AM
OMA

Those Eastern matchups are going to be something else.

It's way to early to predict the West. Vancouver, Dallas and Calgary are battling for 4th, 5th and 6th. Nashville, STL, LA and now those Oilers are going at it for the last two spots. Way too early to call the west.

Old
03-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

am I the only one who thinks San Jose vs Calgary would be a great great series?

San Jose tossed Kipper to Calgary for nothing when Turek was down, Kiprusoff already lost the back-up spot to Toskala and since becoming a flame has been on fire(no pun intended) now he could very well enter a playoff series against the team that threw him away and could now eliminate his old team from the Post Season.

that's just the story Calgary and San Jose are both great teams as well and on paper it should make for quite the entertaining series. Toronto vs Ottawa and Montreal vs Boston would probably be better series because of the rivalry but of all the other Series I think Calgary vs San jose would be the best in the 1st round if it happens.

Closed Thread