HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Questions about Zetterberg

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2004, 01:57 PM
GarryH24

vCash: 500
Questions about Zetterberg

I was wondering what position he has played more of this year? Is he a wing or is he a center? I have seen him play a few times on center ice this year and he played wing most of the time, but recently I heard he was moving back to center. Will he be like Demitra and go from wing to center and always be playing both positions or is he going to play just one position? Also, what do you guys think he is going to top out at point wise? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old
03-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Shoalzie

Center is his natural position but since the Wings have so many centers, he rotates between left wing and center depending on line combos and injuries. On the power play, he's usually a wing. He'll center a penalty kill unit and more times than not, he's a center 5-on-5. He's not that great on faceoffs, that's one draw back. The fact that he's so good defensively will probably keep him at center. With Datsyuk, Draper and Lang, he's got to compete for ice time. You can't forget Yzerman either...he's played some center and some right wing. The Wings have luxury of versatility and depth in the lineup.

Old
03-21-2004, 08:51 PM
doublejack

Just to add to the diversity of Zets, he is playing on the point for the Wings power play against the Ducks tonight and doing a fine job of it.

When he first made the roster we were deep in centers and short on wingers so he played more at left wing. With Fedorov and Larianov leaving and Yzerman's injuries that changed. I imagine he'll continue to play at center a majority of the time from here on out.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:22 AM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Recently he's been playing a lot at center. I think that when everybody's healthy, he'll mostly play wing, maybe because he isn't as good at faceoffs, and he has experience playing wing.

You can't really tell what position he'll be playing in a few years. It really depends on who is in Detroit in a few years.

As far as his scoring potential, I'd say he can be a nearly point per game player for the next several years. I'm not sure he will, but he is definitely capable. He might end up being a more defensive type player and his scoring could suffer. He could be a Fedorov type player in a few years.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
Recently he's been playing a lot at center. I think that when everybody's healthy, he'll mostly play wing, maybe because he isn't as good at faceoffs, and he has experience playing wing.
I'll think he'll stay as a center. When we had all centers healthy (2 games before all injuries started), it was Stevie who played wing at Lang's line. Zetta still centered between Shanny and Homer. Special units has been like Shoalzie told.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:53 AM
winged wheel

I think when Draper and Lang come back, Zetterberg might be moved to a wing, depending on if Yzerman keeps playing center. Yzerman has been skating a lot better lately and might be able to assume his center position again. I wouldn't mind though if Zetterberg stayed at center because he's a good passer, but has to work on his faceoffs.

Last year when Zetterberg was a rookie, I was surprised just how defensively responsible he was. Lewis uses him in the second penalty killing unit and often has him out there in the last minute of 1 goal games. I think he can also be a point per game player, because he gets a lot of scoring chances, especially one on one, that he doesn't finish on. Another thing I noticed about him this year is that he often times wins one on one battles along the boards in the offensive zone. Defensemen have trouble getting the puck away from him because he uses his body so well to protect the puck.

Closed Thread