HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

HNIC Dissing Quebec?

Old
04-23-2009, 09:53 AM
headliner

vCash: 500
HNIC Dissing Quebec?

Anybody see the second intermission, during which Maclean mentioned the complaints of Boston bias....and then showed a Quebec flag with pictures of Cherry, Milbury, and Stock on it?

What the heck is that all about?

Talk about inappropriate. It's like saying, "Eat it, Habs' fans."

But to use a provincial flag is lunacy, and speaks of bigotry. Or complete ignorance.

Does anyone think that if the Bruins had beaten Ottawa, receiving the same complaints of bias, they'd have used an Ontario flag? Not a chance.

--------------------------

BTW, those complaints of Boston bias, from Millen to Cherry to Milbury to Stock are all warranted.

CBC is filled with Bruins' fans who will suck up to Leafs' fans for a paycheck.

Could you imagine if the Bruins ever play the Leafs in the playoffs? Their heads would explode.

Last edited by headliner: 04-23-2009 at 10:02 AM.
headliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:55 AM
HotPie

It's classless and shameful, but what do you expect from the classlessness shown by a good chunk of Habs fans.

If you fight fire with fire, expect to get burned. If you're disrespectful towards others, chances are others will be disrespectful towards you, even if I don't really condone that crap.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:00 AM
headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
It's classless and shameful, but what do you expect from the classlessness shown by a good chunk of Habs fans.

If you fight fire with fire, expect to get burned. If you're disrespectful towards others, chances are others will be disrespectful towards you, even if I don't really condone that crap.
Idiots in the stands are one thing....but for professional broadcasters to make that decision and air it is not appropriate at all.

Old
04-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Bullsmith

I honestly think CBC has decided their business model is to play to the anti-french audience (and I hate to say it but, from personal experience across this country, it's a common bias.) There's just no question they treated Boston like the home team this season, as they normally would the Leafs.

To be fair though, the CBC smears Ottawa with glee too.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Riverboat Gambler

It was a wierd dynamic on the CBC...

with all the x-B's.

Bob Cole was about the only Habs proponent from which we could expect to be thrown the occasional bone. Millen, doesn't even know the guys names (Christopher Kostopolus?) and he's very quick to pass judgement generalizng fans. I think this is pretty obvious.

Thing is CBC is a public and Canadian network... in Canada there are a way more Habs fans than B's fans but they put guys on the air who don't represent that reality and certainly don't respect peoples alleigence watching at home.

They could correct some of this (and tired to with Yvon P - where was he, by the way?) or they can continue to loose jaded viewers to RDS / TSN.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:03 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by headliner View Post
Idiots in the stands are one thing....but for professional broadcasters to make that decision and air it is not appropriate at all.
PJ Stock is a multiple personality idiot. His attitude towards the Habs is completely different depending where he is... Team 990, 100% or HNIC.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:05 AM
CrazyShea

They said that the habs fans would blame refs etc and said would complain about the boston pro panel on cbc and put those guys on the flag if i remember clearly pretty stupid and childish

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post

Fine and dandly, let other teams fans be classless all they want, Habs fans will have earned it. But what does that have to do with the CBC and their decision to hire Don Cherry, Mike Millbury AND P.J. Stock, all long time Bruins fans with an open rooting bias that has NOTHING to do with Habs fans? The CBC is a national, Canadian broadcaster and yet it presents a clear negative bias in it's coverage of Montreal and, when it has occasion to cover them, a clear positive bias in favor of Boston. This was just as true last year as this one.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Erngueva

English medias lol.

Who cares really ? I was at the Bell Center last night and when I think about our season, I think "At least we're not the Toronto Maple Leafs". They can keep their Toronto team for all I care. Montreal doen't need them.

Erngueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:08 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Fine and dandly, let other teams fans be classless all they want, Habs fans will have earned it. But what does that have to do with the CBC and their decision to hire Don Cherry, Mike Millbury AND P.J. Stock, all long time Bruins fans with an open rooting bias that has NOTHING to do with Habs fans? The CBC is a national, Canadian broadcaster and yet it presents a clear negative bias in it's coverage of Montreal and, when it has occasion to cover them, a clear positive bias in favor of Boston. This was just as true last year as this one.
Don't get me wrong, I agree, but the only thing we can do about that is not watch CBC, even if RDS isn't a much better alternative.

Besides from what I know CBC viewership isn't the same it was anyways.

Old
04-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
I honestly think CBC has decided their business model is to play to the anti-french audience (and I hate to say it but, from personal experience across this country, it's a common bias.) There's just no question they treated Boston like the home team this season, as they normally would the Leafs.

To be fair though, the CBC smears Ottawa with glee too.
Sure why not? Most hockey fans I know in Toronto wanted to see the habs go down hard. These guys are CBC's bread and butter audience, anti-Quebec hoser type Toronto Star readers who also vote Liberal Party and NPD, which would keep the CBC around, as opposed to Conservative Party voters who see the CBC as a waste to be liquidated or at the least as a large budget drain to be chopped down).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:14 AM
headliner

My main point:

Why use a provincial flag which disparages an entire province/culture?

Why not just use the Habs' crest? It still would've been a big "Screw you, Habs' fans....we're cheering for Boston and you can't do anything about it." But it wouldn't scream as bigotted as it seemed to me.

And I'm an Ontario anglophone.

Old
04-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Habs8517

I hope some journalist call them out. Make them wet their pants.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:31 AM
havok78

Maybe get a petition for an apology? It is within our right as we pay for the TV Monkeys anyways, and theres so much hate for CBC i am sure there'd be a HUGE signature base...LOL

havok78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P9P1qfeFlM
3:30

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:49 AM
havok78

I can't watch the video from work,
but when it comes to the media, especially in the internet age, if we HATE something or are upset, we control it, the fans are in Control of ratings etc. The internet is SUCH a powerful tool... If youre upset ban HNIC, and blog about it, get people talking about it, flood their gates with complaints, Ban the time PJ is on Team 990, DONT listen to him, and if you do , flood call him, call him out on air, if he hangs up on you,then the next caller should do the same...We take our time to listen and watch,and if we are unsatisfied customers, then as a GROUP I know we can do something about it, or at least annoy them..Call Melnick and talk off topic about how PJ disrespected Quebec on HNIC, Melnick wont want to talk but if more callers call in, then the message is clear...remember to these medias, money talks....unhappy listeners, no advertising money..Thats Protest...

havok78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
What's so controversial about it? I don't get it? It wasn't a slam against the people of Quebec. It was a joke about the pro-Boston people on Hockey Night In Canada during a Montreal Series. The thing is the HNIC broadcaster are fans too and that's what makes HNIC great!

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:06 PM
HotPie

I just saw the vid and yeah it really was classless. I thought they were showing a fan made sign, but it was the actual broadcast.

For shame.

This just gives more fuel for the seperatist posse to use against the English...congrats CBC, dividing Canada as we speak!

Old
04-23-2009, 12:11 PM
The Chef*

I thought that was pretty weird too.

I also thought that guy next to morrison doing the blog thing saying "vive le quebec libre" was awkward to say...

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
they definitly were knocking on the fans. not the province, not the french, not the flag, not the culture.... i dont see it as anything else than a joke.
a real weird one, but still a joke.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Roke

Privatize.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Gros Bill

Imagine for a second RDS showing and joking about a canadian flag with a picture of, say, Michel Bergeron on it. Every newspaper in Canada would be screaming for "french" blood. Instead, it's just a harmless joke on the CBC. Par for the course.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:35 PM
RioBravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
It was a wierd dynamic on the CBC...

with all the x-B's.

Bob Cole was about the only Habs proponent from which we could expect to be thrown the occasional bone. Millen, doesn't even know the guys names (Christopher Kostopolus?) and he's very quick to pass judgement generalizng fans. I think this is pretty obvious.

Thing is CBC is a public and Canadian network... in Canada there are a way more Habs fans than B's fans but they put guys on the air who don't represent that reality and certainly don't respect peoples alleigence watching at home.

They could correct some of this (and tired to with Yvon P - where was he, by the way?) or they can continue to loose jaded viewers to RDS / TSN.
Greg Millen is possibly the worst color commentator ever. Im tempted to mute Leafs games some times. The guy just states the most obvious stuff. I remember he went on a rant saying how cold the rink was and thats why a certain team was playing bad...I couldn't believe it. Consider yourselves lucky you only had to put up with that in the playoffs lol

RioBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by headliner View Post
Anybody see the second intermission, during which Maclean mentioned the complaints of Boston bias....and then showed a Quebec flag with pictures of Cherry, Milbury, and Stock on it?

What the heck is that all about?

Talk about inappropriate. It's like saying, "Eat it, Habs' fans."

But to use a provincial flag is lunacy, and speaks of bigotry. Or complete ignorance.

Does anyone think that if the Bruins had beaten Ottawa, receiving the same complaints of bias, they'd have used an Ontario flag? Not a chance.

--------------------------

BTW, those complaints of Boston bias, from Millen to Cherry to Milbury to Stock are all warranted.

CBC is filled with Bruins' fans who will suck up to Leafs' fans for a paycheck.

Could you imagine if the Bruins ever play the Leafs in the playoffs? Their heads would explode.
They weren't making fun of Quebec, they were laughing at the fact they have three admittedly pro-Boston commentators announcing this series. Get your panties out of a bunch.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioBravo View Post
Greg Millen is possibly the worst color commentator ever. Im tempted to mute Leafs games some times. The guy just states the most obvious stuff. I remember he went on a rant saying how cold the rink was and thats why a certain team was playing bad...I couldn't believe it. Consider yourselves lucky you only had to put up with that in the playoffs lol
He's horrible. He should study going into the games. He's a professional. He must know the players names. That's just lazy on his part.

I'm watching the game the other night, Kovalev is tripped. A penalty is called.

Millen: 'Kovalev stepped on the puck, the ref was fooled' (sort of misquoted).
Millen: 'Hey guys can we see that again' (then they take like 3 looks at the replay)

He spent like three minutes trying to prove his insightfulness when really he's just trying to vindicate his bias.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote