HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements/Rumours

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Captain_Cunney

vCash: 500
Fight Announcements/Rumours

Figured we'd start a thread for any announcements anybody comes across or rumoured upcoming fights. Save us from having a new thread pop up every couple of days when a fight is broken..

Ensane, any chance you could sticky this?

Old
04-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I think it was pretty much known already but Rampage gets his shot at either 102 or 103.

Quote:
Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson has been pencilled in for an August shot at the light-heavyweight title, Fighters Only has been told.

Former champion Jackson might headline either UFC 102 or UFC 103, the latter possibly being a UK event, according to an industry source.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/4/21...get-title-shot

Whoever the champ is, he is going down!

Old
04-23-2009, 03:03 PM
pox

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to pox
well this is kind of a sideshow fight but it looks like Bobby Lashly is going to fight at the next MFC event, which is in Edmonton

http://topmmanews.com/2009/04/23/bob...ight-may-15th/

Old
04-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I think it was pretty much known already but Rampage gets his shot at either 102 or 103.

I hope you're right, but I don't like his chances against Machida, nor do I like anyones' chances against him. That being said, Rampage does have the tools to beat him if he actually mixes up his great wrestling (It's there, he just hasn't used in in 4 years ) with his improved striking.

Old
04-23-2009, 05:01 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:

Both Machida and Rashad would beat Rampage imo and if Shogun keeps getting back to where he was before then he will beat him again too. I'm not knocking Rampage as I think he's awesome and one of the best 205er's but I just don't see him beating these guys.

Old
04-23-2009, 05:06 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

posted this in the Japan thread already but Fedor and Aoki are having an exhibition match next week with some kind of weird hybrid sambo/grappling rules. Pretty weird but it should be entertaining.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/4/23...vs-shinya-aoki

Old
04-24-2009, 12:58 PM
pox

Tatsuya Kawajiri and J.Z.Calvan was officially announced at a press conference at the DEEP Official Gym for DREAM.9 today.

also

DREAM EP Sasahara revealed the current plan for the DREAM Lightweight title at the press conference. Joachim Hansen will face Shinya Aoki for the title at DREAM.10. The winner of that fight will then defend the belt against the winner of Kawajiri vs. J.Z. on NYE.

Old
04-27-2009, 05:04 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Strikeforce made some announcements for their June 6 card.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/4/27...reem-vs-rogers

Quote:
ROCKSTAR ENERGY DRINK PRESENTS LAWLER VS. SHIELDS Scottrade Center – St. Louis, MO
Saturday, June 6, 2009 – 9:00PM (CST) - prelims at 7:00PM LIVE ON SHOWTIME SPORTS!

MAIN CARD (BEGINNING AT 9:00PM - CST):

Robbie Lawler (16-4) vs. Jake Shields (22-4-1)
Alistair Overeem (29-11) vs. Brett Rogers (9-1) [HW Title Fight]
Nick Diaz (19-7) vs. Scott Smith (15-5) - 180Lbs
Phil "New York Bad Ass" Baroni (13-10) vs. Joe "Diesel" Riggs (29-10)
Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante (7-1) vs. Jared Hamman (10-1)

UNDERCARD (BEGINNING AT APPROXIMATELY 7:00PM – CST)

Jesse Finney (3-0) vs. Josh Bumgarner (7-0)
Tyron "Tabasco" Woodley (1-0) vs. Sal Woods (3-5)
Scott Ventimiglia (12-5-1) vs. Lucas Lopes (7-8)
Pat Benson (2-5-2) vs. Dave Cochran (16-18)
Booker DeRousse (1-1) vs. James Wade (5-6)
Another pretty darn good card from them (well the main card anyways, the undercard looks pretty scrubtastic). Overeem is going to pulverize Rogers though.

Diaz should be able to sub Smith fairly easily if he goes for takedowns, but if he stands with him too long he is going to get punched in the face a whole bunch.

Old
04-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Savvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Both Machida and Rashad would beat Rampage imo and if Shogun keeps getting back to where he was before then he will beat him again too. I'm not knocking Rampage as I think he's awesome and one of the best 205er's but I just don't see him beating these guys.
Machida I'll give you, He'd beat anyone in the division though. Rashad on the other hand is not someone I can envision beating Rampage. What's his game plan going into the fight? Stand and exchange? He better be pretty prolific with his leg kicks that fight because in a straight hands situation, I like Rampage a lot better from a power and technique stand point. Rashad would have to rely on his old school GNP methods and Rampage is no slouch when it comes to take downs.

Old
04-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Strikeforce made some announcements for their June 6 card.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/4/27...reem-vs-rogers

Another pretty darn good card from them (well the main card anyways, the undercard looks pretty scrubtastic). Overeem is going to pulverize Rogers though.

Diaz should be able to sub Smith fairly easily if he goes for takedowns, but if he stands with him too long he is going to get punched in the face a whole bunch.
The main card does look really good, I'm looking forward to this one. I think you're bang on regarding Rogers/Overeem, I just can't see Rogers being ready for such a drastic step up in competition.

Old
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Captain_Cunney

I don't know how legit this is, a rumour for now, but pretty interesting fights if they do come to be:

http://insidefights.com/

Quote:
It looks like Anderson Silva’s next fight will be at light heavyweight against Keith Jardine.

If Anderson Silva had beaten Thales Leites in exciting fashion, it would have been Demian Maia that was assured of the next shot at Silva’s belt. Because of the lackluster Silva/Leites fight, however, Zuffa is hesitant to match Silva up with another grappler any time in the future. Yushin Okami has been placed on the sidelines yet again, and Maia will meet Nate Marquardt to determine a number one contender for the middleweight title.

If Maia does beat Marquardt, he’ll get the title shot, but in the meantime we’re going to see Silva move up to light heavyweight yet again. Nothing is set in stone regarding his opponent, but we’re hearing that the honor will likely go to Keith Jardine, and it will probably be a free Spike broadcast
Maia vs. Nate the Great of the next title shot would be a dream for me, 2 of my favourite fighters. The Mean One would be a perfect next step for Anderson @ 205, see if he can really hang with the upper tier of the division, IMO.

Pretty interesting speculation, if true.

Old
04-28-2009, 11:33 AM
pox

Quote:
Rogers is stepping up from Minor Pro to the NHL on that one....

Old
04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I don't know how legit this is, a rumour for now, but pretty interesting fights if they do come to be:

http://insidefights.com/
Looks like that rumour is false and thats a good thing because we get something even better......

Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14713/forr...or-ufc-101.mma

Quote:
Sources close to the organization today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) a meeting was held last week to discuss the Anderson Silva vs. Griffin bout.

UFC President Dana White has since confirmed with Yahoo! Sports that the fight has been signed.
Looks like its official. I can't wait for this fight.

Hopefully this brings the best out of Anderson Silva and not the BS from the Leites fight. Forrest isn't afraid to exchange and if Anderson does the same thing he did in his last fight, then I can really see him losing. This will be only 3 rounds instead of 5 and if Anderson just hangs back, then Forrest could take this by decision.

Old
04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Machida I'll give you, He'd beat anyone in the division though. Rashad on the other hand is not someone I can envision beating Rampage. What's his game plan going into the fight? Stand and exchange? He better be pretty prolific with his leg kicks that fight because in a straight hands situation, I like Rampage a lot better from a power and technique stand point. Rashad would have to rely on his old school GNP methods and Rampage is no slouch when it comes to take downs.
IDK about power. Rashad KO'd Forrest but Rampage couldn't do it in 5 rounds. I think Rampage's technique is better but Rashad has improved his a ton the last couple years and is getting up there. Rashad has more speed and better head movement then Page too. Maybe Rashad will rely on his wrestling and G'n'P though but I can't blame him since he's the better wrestler and Page has shown very little ability when on his back. It is a tough call but I think Rashad would take it.

Old
04-29-2009, 01:50 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Thiago Silva is now fighting Keith Jardine at UFC 102 as a result of Forrest fighting Silva. I like Jardine in that one.

source: mmajunkie

Old
04-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Hopefully this brings the best out of Anderson Silva and not the BS from the Leites fight. Forrest isn't afraid to exchange and if Anderson does the same thing he did in his last fight, then I can really see him losing. This will be only 3 rounds instead of 5 and if Anderson just hangs back, then Forrest could take this by decision.

I agree with you but at the same time, Forrest has shown a tendancy to fight the smartest fight possible. I could see him fighting a boring stick and run fight and secruing a 3 round decision.

Griffin needs to fight smart in this fight, regardless of his size advantage. If he comes out balls to the wall and exchanges at will, make no mistake, he'll get KO'd yet again.

The Jardine/Silva fight should be a beauty also, I'll be rooting for the MeanOne to hand the over-rated one another loss.

Old
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Savvy

Quote:
IDK about power. Rashad KO'd Forrest but Rampage couldn't do it in 5 rounds. I think Rampage's technique is better but Rashad has improved his a ton the last couple years and is getting up there. Rashad has more speed and better head movement then Page too. Maybe Rashad will rely on his wrestling and G'n'P though but I can't blame him since he's the better wrestler and Page has shown very little ability when on his back. It is a tough call but I think Rashad would take it.
Rashad's power comes from "what have you done for me lately" syndrome from the fans. I'm not saying he doesn't have good power, just that it's become quite overblown.

TKO win vs Forrest
KO win vs Liddell (Who looks like a strong wind could flash KO him)

Before these guys he had no real big name knock outs. The only other names on record he knocked out were Salmon and Lambert and then it breaks down into 5 decision wins, 1 TKO, 2 submissions, 1 split and 1 draw.

Either way, he's not getting passed Machida.

Old
04-29-2009, 05:16 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Maia vs. Nate the Great of the next title shot would be a dream for me, 2 of my favourite fighters.
It's confirmed, end of August. Sick fight

http://blog.demianmaia.com.br/2009/0...rtland-oregon/

Old
04-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Not that I'm disagreeing with you on the main point, but that punch on chuck was massive.

Old
04-29-2009, 07:41 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Rashad's power comes from "what have you done for me lately" syndrome from the fans. I'm not saying he doesn't have good power, just that it's become quite overblown.

TKO win vs Forrest

Before these guys he had no real big name knock outs. The only other names on record he knocked out were Salmon and Lambert and then it breaks down into 5 decision wins, 1 TKO, 2 submissions, 1 split and 1 draw.
That's a good point but I do think his technique has improved the last year or two making him more likely to land clean shots. I'll concede though to Rampage having better power but Evans does have some pop too and I do think he would win the fight either on the ground or due to his speed.

Quote:
Either way, he's not getting passed Machida.
Agreed. We might never get answer to are arguement above.

Old
04-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
It's confirmed, end of August. Sick fight

http://blog.demianmaia.com.br/2009/0...rtland-oregon/
Wow, I can't wait for this one! I don't think I can chose a side, 2 of my absolute favourite fighters squaring off. I guess I'll have to root for a draw.

This is a HUGE step up for Maia, but I think he'll be able to handle it. That being said, I think Nate will end up taking it in a close decision. He'll be more prepared for the ground than anyone Maia has faced so far, which should be very interesting. Usually one would expect this to turn into a standup battle cuz they're both so well-versed on the ground, if this happens Nate's gettng the KO - his standup is much better. However, what "usually" happens really can't be brought into consideration regarding Maia, he's just at another level.

Man it's gonna be a great fight!

Old
04-30-2009, 03:07 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Okami is out of his UFC 98 fight vs Dan Miller with a torn ligament. No word on a replacement yet.

http://twitter.com/UFC

edit: Okami to be replaced by Ed Herman: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...8686&zoneid=13

Last edited by colonel_korn: 04-30-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Okami is out of his UFC 98 fight vs Dan Miller with a torn ligament. No word on a replacement yet.

http://twitter.com/UFC

edit: Okami to be replaced by Ed Herman: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...8686&zoneid=13
Dammit!

Okami just can't seem to stay healthy. He might never get his shot at Silva. Miller will dominate Herman pretty much anyway he wants.

Old
04-30-2009, 09:20 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Dammit!

Okami just can't seem to stay healthy. He might never get his shot at Silva. Miller will dominate Herman pretty much anyway he wants.
MMAWeekly says it's Sonnen now instead of Herman. http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...8688&zoneid=13

That's still a pretty decent replacement.

Old
05-01-2009, 08:59 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
MMAWeekly says it's Sonnen now instead of Herman. http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...8688&zoneid=13

That's still a pretty decent replacement.
Sonnen is a much better replacement and should make for a better fight. He's sure not taking or being given any easy fights since jumping from WEC. First Maia, now Miller and then Gouveiva in August. I expect him to be 0-3 after these fights.

Closed Thread