HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want back ? (UFA/RFA)

View Poll Results: Who do you want back?
Francis Bouillon 43 14.14%
Mathieu Dandenault 58 19.08%
Saku Koivu 196 64.47%
Mike Komisarek 222 73.03%
Tom Kostopoulos 153 50.33%
Alex Kovalev 235 77.30%
Robert Lang 180 59.21%
Mathieu Schneider 158 51.97%
Alex Tanguay 253 83.22%
Chris Higgins 238 78.29%
Thomas Plekanec 141 46.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-24-2009, 12:58 PM
malton

vCash: 500
What this team needs to do is pick up another top pairing dman and start to ease some of our d prospects into the lineup. Signing a player like Boullion only hinders our progress.

malton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:55 PM
12jf54

vCash: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by malton View Post
What this team needs to do is pick up another top pairing dman and start to ease some of our d prospects into the lineup. Signing a player like Boullion only hinders our progress.
There aren't a lot of those available out there...

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

I want Saku Back!

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Harry Kakalovich

I voted to let go of Dandenault, Kostopolos, Lang, Schneider.

Bouillon would be a good signature for depth (something the Habs lacked sorely on D this year.

Tanguay is a good offensive give, plus he's quebecois which is good for the Habs.

Koivu and Kovalev are two solid players. Would be hard to replace.

Komisarek - a good young d, had a tough second half, but looked solid even away from Markov. I think he will be a good one.

Plekanec and Higgins - Have to sign these guys. Could also trade them, if that was a direction the Habs wanted.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:58 PM
jamz

Dandenault if he is cheap,
Komisarek
Schneider if he is cheap
Tanguay
Higgins

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:40 PM
sampollock

GO GET A #1 CENTRE, AND FOR CRAP SAKE, DO IT

1. tough power forward.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:40 PM
sampollock

no more retreads

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12jf54 View Post
I think that if it comes down to one of these two, Koivu will easily get the contract over Lang.
It all depends on salary if you ask me... I love Saku but if Lang is cheaper, I'd go with him. At equal salary, you may be right.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:59 PM
gillyguzzler

Francis Bouillon - will not generate much interest elsewhere, possible resigning before training camp for dirt cheap (700K) and as 6th or 7th D if he has not signed elsewhere

Mathieu Dandenault - will not generate much interest elsewhere, some value as 13th forward-7th defenseman, same as Bouillon...wait until late summer and sign at a big discount if he's still there... if not, see ya.

Saku Koivu - Will generate interest because of his experience and his hustle. Did not sound like he expects to be back. The Habs have to make an effort to keep him. Offer him 7M over 2 years but don't match a ridiculous offer.

Mike Komisarek - After the 09 season, I thought Komi would get upwards of 5M a year. However, he was highly disapointing this year. His strengths were not that evident and his weeknesses were glaring. Still, interest will be high and someone (likely the Islanders) will offer him a ridiculous contract that the Habs won't match. For 3-4M, sign him. Over 4M, bye bye. People will whine and moan at his loss but I'd rather we put our $$ in the Bouwmeester basket.

Tom Kostopoulos - All heart, little talent, dime a dozen around the league. Still, he's worth about 1M and would have his place on the 4th line. He looks like he wants to stay in Montreal.

Alex Kovalev - Kovy will generate significant interest because of his end of the season tear and his playoff effort. The Habs need to resign Kovy to a two year, 8M contract and give him the C if Koivu leaves. Criticized all year, he still led the team in scoring despite playing with Plek. And he wants to return!

Robert Lang - Probably not much interest for this aging vet but we saw what kind of influence he can have on a team. Sign him as your third line center... one year contract, 2.5M

Mathieu Schneider - Probably little interest in this vet also but again, we saw his value to the PP. Unless we sign another defenseman who can play D with Markov on the PP, sign Mathieu for one year at 2M. Play him on the PP and limit his 5 on 5 minutes.

Alex Tanguay - Will generate interest, but not at 5M a year. Hard to tell if he wants to return to the zoo but if he does, I'd lock him up for a longer term contract, maybe 15M for 4 years or so.

Chris Higgins -Might be a candidate for an offer sheet but I doubt it. His on-ice performance at the end of the year was great but how much is a 20-25 goal defensive forward worth? And judging by his late season interviews, he's sick of Montreal media. Still, I'd try to lock him up for 3 years for 9M or so.

Thomas Plekanec - The best thing that could happen is that the Oilers sign him to an offer sheet and we get a bunch of draft picks for him. Unlikely, so we might as well sign him to a 1 year, 2M contract and hope he regains his form.

Throw big money at Bouwmeester and Hossa, and try to sign Beauchemin and a character type tough player in the Chris Neil mold.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 04:29 PM
12jf54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Francis Bouillon - will not generate much interest elsewhere, possible resigning before training camp for dirt cheap (700K) and as 6th or 7th D if he has not signed elsewhere

Mathieu Dandenault - will not generate much interest elsewhere, some value as 13th forward-7th defenseman, same as Bouillon...wait until late summer and sign at a big discount if he's still there... if not, see ya.

Saku Koivu - Will generate interest because of his experience and his hustle. Did not sound like he expects to be back. The Habs have to make an effort to keep him. Offer him 7M over 2 years but don't match a ridiculous offer.

Mike Komisarek - After the 09 season, I thought Komi would get upwards of 5M a year. However, he was highly disapointing this year. His strengths were not that evident and his weeknesses were glaring. Still, interest will be high and someone (likely the Islanders) will offer him a ridiculous contract that the Habs won't match. For 3-4M, sign him. Over 4M, bye bye. People will whine and moan at his loss but I'd rather we put our $$ in the Bouwmeester basket.

Tom Kostopoulos - All heart, little talent, dime a dozen around the league. Still, he's worth about 1M and would have his place on the 4th line. He looks like he wants to stay in Montreal.

Alex Kovalev - Kovy will generate significant interest because of his end of the season tear and his playoff effort. The Habs need to resign Kovy to a two year, 8M contract and give him the C if Koivu leaves. Criticized all year, he still led the team in scoring despite playing with Plek. And he wants to return!

Robert Lang - Probably not much interest for this aging vet but we saw what kind of influence he can have on a team. Sign him as your third line center... one year contract, 2.5M

Mathieu Schneider - Probably little interest in this vet also but again, we saw his value to the PP. Unless we sign another defenseman who can play D with Markov on the PP, sign Mathieu for one year at 2M. Play him on the PP and limit his 5 on 5 minutes.

Alex Tanguay - Will generate interest, but not at 5M a year. Hard to tell if he wants to return to the zoo but if he does, I'd lock him up for a longer term contract, maybe 15M for 4 years or so.

Chris Higgins -Might be a candidate for an offer sheet but I doubt it. His on-ice performance at the end of the year was great but how much is a 20-25 goal defensive forward worth? And judging by his late season interviews, he's sick of Montreal media. Still, I'd try to lock him up for 3 years for 9M or so.

Thomas Plekanec - The best thing that could happen is that the Oilers sign him to an offer sheet and we get a bunch of draft picks for him. Unlikely, so we might as well sign him to a 1 year, 2M contract and hope he regains his form.

Throw big money at Bouwmeester and Hossa, and try to sign Beauchemin and a character type tough player in the Chris Neil mold.

Wow. Is the cap going @ 75M$ next year ???

Old
04-24-2009, 04:55 PM
FerrisRox

Only 68% of the people want Saku Koivu back?!?! Do you guys even follow hockey?

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I would say that most don't since 2/3 voted for. At this point, I will explain I think what most of us think:

Yes if he is given 2nd-3rd line duties and with a 3M$ contract
No if he wants to play over 18 minutes a game and ask for more than 3M$.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Robert Lang wants to stay in Montreal. His son attends a private english school where his wife has already planted some roots, and his achilles tendon has (fully) healed. He will continue his career in Montreal if the team allows him.

You can quote me after he signs with the team.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 05:31 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Wow. Is the cap going @ 75M$ next year ???
Obviously, not all will be signed... Of the big salaried guys, my guess is that Komi and Koivu are gone (6M savings) , Kovy and Tanguay will be signed for less (2M savings), Lang and Schneider might be signed for much less (4M savings), Plek and Higs will cost a bit more (2M extra). With Dandy and Bouillon gone probably (3M), there's up to 15M to spend, roughly. Bouwmeester, Neil and Beauchemin wouldn't cost 15M. Not even close to 75M buddy...

There's even room for Lecavalier instead of Bouwmeester if you prefer.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 06:00 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Who do you want back among these UFA's / RFA's ???

You can vote for more than one player.
I've changed my mind on Koivu.

I have always defended his right to stay as long as he wanted, assuming that this IS what he wanted; however now that I heard him yesterday, I feel his commitment is not anywhere near 100%, and that is not acceptable for a captain.

I almost did the same for Komisarek, but in the end I voted to have him back, just because he is only 27 and he is less experienced in what to say in this situation. However, I would not overpay for him. Two years at $4.25M or 4 years at $3.5M would be my max.

By the way, I'm very happy to hear what Kovy and Tangs had to say. It's hard to get UFAs to come here, so it's nice to hear two guys who each had a choice to play here or not, say they like it here and would continue.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 08:07 AM
12jf54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I think it shows people want a big number 1 center. None of the three centers on this list really have a lot of the votes...

Old
04-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I think it shows people want a big number 1 center. None of the three centers on this list really have a lot of the votes...
And perhaps that it's time for a change of the guards, a change in leadership.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 07:09 PM
blah141

wow, only 66% for saku... poor guy

blah141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 07:51 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
You'd give 5M$ per to the guy ???
Without any doubt.. he is too valuable to the team to let him go.. Everyone will agree that he is worth at least 3.5 M.. At worst its an overpayment of 1.5M, not a big deal to keep a guy like that.. especially considering how much money we still have left to get some other UFAs..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 08:08 PM
cottoneye

I really think the Habs should re-sign Komisarek, even if we have to overpay a little. I mean Ryder got 4M$ so... I wouldn't be that shocked if Komo got more. Everybody's always saying we need to get bigger and grittier. Let's start by not losing one of our toughest player.

I really thought it was a done deal but hearing what Komisarek said after the season has me really worried.

cottoneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Viggo Mortensen
Gandalf the Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post

I have to say that you did a great job here, I agree with pretty much every amount

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
To everyone suggestion Mike Komisarek receive $5 million

That would be the biggest waste of money since Laraque. I have an idea however about we do not overpay for an overrated player and use that five million in addition to the year two Bouillon is making and go give Bouwmeester a nice little present? Komisarek is an one-dimensional player who can hit basically. He has shown decent abilities in other areas last season however this season he proved without his hitting ability he is a disaster on skates. He cannot shoot, he cannot play the puck well and he was shying away from hitting. He is not worth anything above $3.5 million, although I would begrudgingly swallow a $4m deal.

That said I would like to say most of the roster back, although I did purpose on the Habs forum to trade Plekanec in a package to wiggle Commodore out of Columbus for a improved defensive output (with Bouwmeester teaming with Markov)

I say Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay all receive $4 million, which is entirely reasonable.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Rockomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Next year line up:

Tanguay - Lecav - Lats
Patches - Lang - Kovy
Higs - Laps - Dags
Stew - Metro - Laraque

Markov - Komo
Hammer - Weber
OB - Gorges

Price
Denis
It always makes me laugh when I see people calling him like that, I wonder what he would think of that nickname haha

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 01:33 AM
HockeyF3ind

At the right price everyone except Dandouillon is worth keeping.... I mean Kovy at 5 million not worth it....but at 4 you have to start thinking.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 07:18 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
At the right price everyone except Dandouillon is worth keeping.... I mean Kovy at 5 million not worth it....but at 4 you have to start thinking.
Amongst hockey fans in general, there is an underappreciation of the value of defensive EXCELLENCE. As an example, see how Yvan Cournoyer beat out Serge Savard for all-time best Hab on this board. However, if were to ask the COACHES of the Habs teams of the 60s and 70s, every one would surely tell you that Savard was far more the impact player.

Coming back to the thread, I think folks have forgotten already the AMAZING job that Mathieu Dandenault was doing alongside Glen Metropolit and Chris Higgins just three weeks ago. Before Markov and Schneider went down, forcing Dandenault back on defence, that checking line was completely shutting down our opponents' best lines game after game, and scoring a few themselves! This enabled us to get 11 points out of 12 while outshooting our opponents consistently.

Here is a proposed plan for the RFAs and UFAs.

Tanguay - 4 years 4-4-3.5-3.5M Cap hit 3.75
Koivu - 5 years 3.5-3-2-1.5-1.0M Cap hit 2.2M
Kovalev - 1 year 4.0M
Dandenault - 2 years @ 1.250M each
Kostopoulos - 2 years @ 950k each
I hope these guys will all sign the offers.

Komisarek - 4 years @ 3.25M each
He will probably leave for elsewhere

Let Walk:
Schneider, Lang, Bouillon, Brisebois

Plekanec - 3 years @ 2.2M each
Higgins - 3 years @ 2.2M each
Latendresse - 3 years @ cap hit 1.1M, same as Gorges got
d'Agostini - 2 years @ cap hit 687k, same a Lapierre got
Stewart - 1 year @ 500k one-way
Chipchura - 1 year @ 500k one-way

Try to sign:
Bouwmeester - 5 years @ 7-7-7-7-5M, cap hit 6.6M
Beauchemin - 3 years @ 3.8M each

Hire the best available Defenceman coach. Can be UFA or RFA, or even trade for one!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote