HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you want from Edm for your 1st

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2009, 01:17 PM
  #26
Ogi1Kenobi
Registered User
 
Ogi1Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,326
vCash: 500
I'd be very happy if Stars management got one of Jordan Schroeder, or OEL/Cowen.

With OEL, Niskanen, and Vishnevskiy in the system the Stars would never have to worry about a PP QB for a long time. Unless they somehow lose all 3 of them.

If the Stars draft Cowan. Our defense will be much larger and Cowan along with Fistric would be a very good shutdown core in the future. Plus Cowan has more offensive upside than Fistric.

And if Schroeder turns out to be another version of Kane or Parise then noone will be complaining about his height.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:25 AM
  #27
LordHelmet
Registered User
 
LordHelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Tazer View Post
I'd be very happy if Stars management got one of Jordan Schroeder, or OEL/Cowen.

With OEL, Niskanen, and Vishnevskiy in the system the Stars would never have to worry about a PP QB for a long time. Unless they somehow lose all 3 of them.

If the Stars draft Cowan. Our defense will be much larger and Cowan along with Fistric would be a very good shutdown core in the future. Plus Cowan has more offensive upside than Fistric.

And if Schroeder turns out to be another version of Kane or Parise then noone will be complaining about his height.
The newest ISS list has Cowan at 7, OEL at 9, and Schroeder at 13. If just one team in the top 7 goes off the board, then Dallas would have their choice of Cowan and OEL. That's a pretty good position to be in.

I haven't seen any of these kids play, but based on the things I've read, my preference would be Cowan, OEL, then Schroeder.

BTW, I'm not sure why, but for some reason I have a gut feeling that Cowan goes higher than 7. Maybe OEL as well.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:57 AM
  #28
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
The newest ISS list has Cowan at 7, OEL at 9, and Schroeder at 13. If just one team in the top 7 goes off the board, then Dallas would have their choice of Cowan and OEL. That's a pretty good position to be in.

I haven't seen any of these kids play, but based on the things I've read, my preference would be Cowan, OEL, then Schroeder.

BTW, I'm not sure why, but for some reason I have a gut feeling that Cowan goes higher than 7. Maybe OEL as well.
We have enough young kids on the back end. Dallas will take the best player regardless of the position and Schroeder seems to be that player. Dallas can pick up a D man in free agency or make a trade. Modano and Lehtinen are an ass hair away from retirement and we are going to need to fill that scoring void.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:19 AM
  #29
LordHelmet
Registered User
 
LordHelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
We have enough young kids on the back end. Dallas will take the best player regardless of the position and Schroeder seems to be that player.
Those two statements seem to be contradictory.

I'm fine with them picking Schroeder, but not at 8.

Cowan has been mentioned as a top 3 talent were it not for his knee injury. Even though Hedman gets the headlines because he's 6'6" and can play well, it's been remarked that OEL might actually be the better overall player.

If Schroeder is the guy we want and Cowan/OEL are available at 8, then we should be able to make a very, very advantageous trade down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Dallas can pick up a D man in free agency or make a trade. Modano and Lehtinen are an ass hair away from retirement and we are going to need to fill that scoring void.
Neal
Brunnstrom
Eriksson
+ see your avatar.

Those are the guys that are going to have to fill the scoring lost when Modano & Lehtinen retire.

The kid we draft in June is 3 - 5 years away from being a scorer of that caliber (assuming he turns in to one). He'll be the guy we're looking to when we have to face the possibility of Neal or Eriksson leaving as free agents.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:30 AM
  #30
piqued
Registered User
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 32,013
vCash: 3722
Yeah, there are nowhere near enough D prospects in the system. You don't avoid them just because we might have 4 young defensemen on the team soon. My only concern with OEL is that he's a little too much like what we already have in terms of style, and the ongoing hype has inflated his draft position a bit. If Cowan is available I agree that you either take him or trade down if you're intent on Schroeder and pick up a 2nd or 3rd.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:17 PM
  #31
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,676
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
The problem with trading down and still getting Schroeder is.
They would couldn't trade down further then #10 and that is also assuming Edmonton or Ottawa want to move up.

I would much rather have Kulikov then OEL or Cowan.
ISS or CSS rankings should be taken with a grain of salt actually they're decent if you want to say within a 10 to 20 range, but just because they have a player ranked #13th doesn't mean some NHL teams don't have them in their top five.

My preference at #8 would be Schroeder or Kulikov, otherwise trade down a couple times to about #13 or #14 and pick up John Moore.


Last edited by ________: 05-06-2009 at 12:40 PM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:36 PM
  #32
LordHelmet
Registered User
 
LordHelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
My reason for preferring Cowan (and also thinking that he'll go higher than 7) is based on two things that I've read:

1) Talent, size, and skill wise, he'd be up there in the conversation with Tavares and Hedman were it not for his injury this season.

2) Young hockey players rarely see any long term effects from this type of injury.

As far as having too many prospects of one type or another at D.. I don't see any issue with it as long as they're all good. If you have too much of a glut, you keep the best ones and trade away the worst ones. Having several good kids lined up like this will give us more flexibility when guys like Niskanen & Grossman hit free agency in a couple of years.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:59 AM
  #33
Dundalis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
What about our depth at center? When Modano goes and likely Richards leaves, then what? Our top end forward youth are pretty much all wingers.

Niskanen, Grossman, Fistric, Vishnevskiy and Larsen are better than a lot of teams in terms of top end young defensemen, it's just that most of them are likely to be playing for Dallas, rather than still developing in the minors like they would on other teams because what we're missing are experienced defensemen. We won't get that in the draft. We should be looking for defensemen from free agency, look for a top end center in the draft with a high pick (Schroeder likely best available at our pick), and then fill the need to refill the stocks of our young defensemen with our later picks.

Dundalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:45 AM
  #34
piqued
Registered User
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 32,013
vCash: 3722
I don't see anything wrong with a center lineup consisting of Ribs-Richards-Wandell-Sutherby in 2010-2011.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:24 AM
  #35
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
What about our depth at center? When Modano goes and likely Richards leaves, then what? Our top end forward youth are pretty much all wingers.

Niskanen, Grossman, Fistric, Vishnevskiy and Larsen are better than a lot of teams in terms of top end young defensemen, it's just that most of them are likely to be playing for Dallas, rather than still developing in the minors like they would on other teams because what we're missing are experienced defensemen. We won't get that in the draft. We should be looking for defensemen from free agency, look for a top end center in the draft with a high pick (Schroeder likely best available at our pick), and then fill the need to refill the stocks of our young defensemen with our later picks.
Um... Schroeder is a right winger.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:50 AM
  #36
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with a center lineup consisting of Ribs-Richards-Wandell-Sutherby in 2010-2011.
Agreed, and I don't think it will just be 2010-11. Brad Richards played with less talented linemates in Tampa while Lecavalier had St. Louis and Prospal. In Dallas, he already likes playing with Loui Eriksson and he rooms with and likes James Neal. Even if Neal and Brunnstrom stay together on a line, Richards would likely play with Jamie Benn. He's going to get to play with goal scorers on both wings, and I bet he'd sign for less than $7.8 million in 2011. If he'd sign long-term, 5 or 6 years (Contract would take him to 35 or 36 years old), for $4.7 million (Andy McDonald's extension) to under $6 million, that would be a solid investment for Dallas.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 03:08 PM
  #37
starsfan4ever
Registered User
 
starsfan4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
What about our depth at center? When Modano goes and likely Richards leaves, then what? Our top end forward youth are pretty much all wingers.

Niskanen, Grossman, Fistric, Vishnevskiy and Larsen are better than a lot of teams in terms of top end young defensemen, it's just that most of them are likely to be playing for Dallas, rather than still developing in the minors like they would on other teams because what we're missing are experienced defensemen. We won't get that in the draft. We should be looking for defensemen from free agency, look for a top end center in the draft with a high pick (Schroeder likely best available at our pick), and then fill the need to refill the stocks of our young defensemen with our later picks.
Why are you assuming Richards leaves?

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 05:27 PM
  #38
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Richards has had a pretty tough time so far in Dallas. I don't know if he would associate his bad luck with the team itself or not, but either way any assumption regarding whether he leaves or stays would be erroneous.

@BigG

Do you mean a contract that starts out at 6 mil and goes to 4.7? He's still in his prime; I don't know if he'd sign for $4.7 mil per.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:24 PM
  #39
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Richards has had a pretty tough time so far in Dallas. I don't know if he would associate his bad luck with the team itself or not, but either way any assumption regarding whether he leaves or stays would be erroneous.

@BigG

Do you mean a contract that starts out at 6 mil and goes to 4.7? He's still in his prime; I don't know if he'd sign for $4.7 mil per.
No. I meant averaged $4.7 to $6 million.

Example:

$7.5 + $6.5 + $5 + $4 + $4 = $27 million ($5.4 million a year)

He'll be 30 when his current contract ends. This one would take him to 35

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:33 PM
  #40
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,820
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Your defunct farm team, one of the following: Gagner, Cogliano or Gilbert and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 12:52 AM
  #41
Dundalis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Um... Schroeder is a right winger.
I've read that, but I've also read he's played a lot at center and is a good faceoff guy, some scout profiles that list him as a center. In fact I just saw an interview with him where he says he is a center.

I suppose the deal with Richards is whether we can actually re-sign him. I just have a feeling he'll be gone when his contract is up.

Dundalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 10:12 AM
  #42
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
I suppose the deal with Richards is whether we can actually re-sign him. I just have a feeling he'll be gone when his contract is up.
Not if we win the cup

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 06:07 AM
  #43
Dundalis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Not if we win the cup
And for any chance of that, we should be looking to fill current weaknesses through free agency, not the draft. Defense is a right now need, center possibly one a couple years away.

I know Hicks won't do it, but they should grab Schroeder with the first (even trading down if they think he will drop) and go after a Bouwmeester in free agency as well as a another veteran. Then, injuries permitting, we'd have a decent chance at having a run at the Cup.

Dundalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 07:10 AM
  #44
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ATX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,779
vCash: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
And for any chance of that, we should be looking to fill current weaknesses through free agency, not the draft. Defense is a right now need, center possibly one a couple years away.

I know Hicks won't do it, but they should grab Schroeder with the first (even trading down if they think he will drop) and go after a Bouwmeester in free agency as well as a another veteran. Then, injuries permitting, we'd have a decent chance at having a run at the Cup.
Possibly.

But then we'd be in some magical world where we could afford Bouwmeester and another veteran and not be screwed out of re-signing our younger guys next season.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
  #45
bruin77
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Anyone in Edmonton will tell you he didn't have the greatest season, and not that it really matters or anything but that is rash overpayment for a guy who hasn't delivered. Not to mention that we don't need another center, which is pretty much the biggest argument to not getting him.
when talking about Sam Gagner a few things to remember he was 18 and 19 playing in the NHL and put up good numbers,most guys at 18 are lucky to be in the AHL.for anyone who saw this kid play knows hes a stud and will probably be a first liner on any team in time.his pts total has a lot more to do with the coaching that was in edm.those guys couldn't say offense let alone teach it.another guy that comes to mind is james sheppard ,hes another guy that will put up big numbers under a good offensive coach.


Last edited by bruin77: 05-18-2009 at 07:57 PM.
bruin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 08:32 PM
  #46
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,078
vCash: 500
Or they could both turn into the next Gilbert Brule who came up too early and never fully developed. He's done nothing to convince that he's going to be that good, obviously that's the projection and of course he has to be awesome to play at that age, but he had a bad season. You don't overpay for a guy who has never proven anything, and the deal up there was beyond ridiculous IMO.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:17 AM
  #47
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
Brad Richards:

Quote:
It was a lot of fun, Richards said of playing with Eriksson. I love his attitude, hes a great human being and hes quiet. He just goes about his job, you never hear him complaining about anything. I felt more and more comfortable the second half of the season playing with him, so Im very excited to have someone coming in next year that I have chemistry with. Im going to have a really good off-season training and Im going to come in ready to go and I couldnt be happier knowing Im going to be playing with him.
Loui Eriksson:

Quote:
Hes really a good all-around player, hes a fun guy to play with, Eriksson said of Richards. You always know where he is. Hes a good passing player and he can score, too, so its always good to play with him.
Brad Richards:

Quote:
We fought, Im pretty proud of how they fought all year with all this adversity, said Richards, the Lightnings second-round choice (64th overall) in the 1998 Entry Draft. It was probably the most messed-up year Ive ever been around a team, with all the surrounding stuff going on and injuries. Ive never been part of something like that. To hang in there to the last two weeks shows a lot about the character of the team.
Quote:
Obviously, I think our start will be a lot better, our leadership knows that now, Richards said, looking back on the clubs sub-par first two months this year that saw them spend a lot of time in the Western Conference basement. Were not going to be messing around now, I think theres going to be a real business-like attitude right at September 1st, even before. I think Brenden is going to be really anxious to get going. Hes going to be in top-notch shape, thats going to pull a lot of people along. Im going to be very excited to get going, so I think our core group, with Otter playing the minutes he did and showing what he can do and Loui leading the way, coming into his own, I think we got a lot of guys that are going to be very excited to build on last season or get back into it, in my case.

Its a good team.
http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=423117

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 04:56 PM
  #48
ScubaSteve*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 500
To Edmonton:
-Dallas' 1st
-Robidas

To Dallas:
-Gilbert
-Visnovsky

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 05:42 PM
  #49
Ogi1Kenobi
Registered User
 
Ogi1Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
To Edmonton:
-Dallas' 1st
-Robidas

To Dallas:
-Gilbert
-Visnovsky
um... no thanks.

That's a lot of salary coming our way.

Visnovsky has 4 years left at 5.6 mil. cap hit.
Gilbert has 4 years left at 4.0 mil. cap hit.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 07:22 PM
  #50
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,078
vCash: 500
As far as I'm concerned Visnovsky has negative value, he isn't that great in his own end, seems to get injured quite a bit, and that salary runs till retirement... that's a lot to pay for a guy who isn't THAT good.

Gilbert's salary is a bit high as well, but at least he's young and has room to grow, still that's not a good deal. Visnovsky got traded for Greene, who at the time was maybe a 5/6 and Jarrett Stoll, who also doesn't have much value because of his concussion problems and his high salary. Gives you a pretty decent idea of his lack of value.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.