HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

A little respect for Olivier Michaud

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2004, 12:19 AM
db23

vCash: 500
A little respect for Olivier Michaud

Since the Habs signed Yann Danis, everyone seems to take great delight in dumping on Michaud.

He is the second youngest goaler in the AHL (to 2002 first rounder Hannu Toivonen by 6 months) and has about the same stats so far in the AHL. He actually has a better GAAvg. than Kari Lehtonen (who started his first NHL game tonight) in the AHL so far, and is the same age as Lehtonen. For that matter he has better NHL stats than Lehtonen also.... ..

Among the AHL netminders that Michaud is ahead of on the list are teammate Damphousse, Pascal Leclaire, Ryan Miller, Brent Krahn, Brian Findley, David Leneveau and a host of other top drafted goalers over the years.

Without taking anything away from Danis, don't forget about Michaud. :mad:

Old
03-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Habsolution

I'd rather see the habs forget about Fichaud and Damphousse after this season and go with a Danis-Michaud tandem.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:39 AM
hockey_nut

Who wants to dump Michaud?? There's nothing wrong with that kid...

Old
03-20-2004, 02:13 AM
Sonik

Michaud is a real diamond in the rough. He'll make a real good back-up goalie IMO.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:52 AM
Rectificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Since the Habs signed Yann Danis, everyone seems to take great delight in dumping on Michaud.

He is the second youngest goaler in the AHL (to 2002 first rounder Hannu Toivonen by 6 months) and has about the same stats so far in the AHL. He actually has a better GAAvg. than Kari Lehtonen (who started his first NHL game tonight) in the AHL so far, and is the same age as Lehtonen. For that matter he has better NHL stats than Lehtonen also.... ..

Among the AHL netminders that Michaud is ahead of on the list are teammate Damphousse, Pascal Leclaire, Ryan Miller, Brent Krahn, Brian Findley, David Leneveau and a host of other top drafted goalers over the years.

Is Ribeiro as good as Fedorov? Is Michel Ouellet better than both Perezhogin and Higgins? Is Kastsitsyn a flop just because he got very limited ice time in the russian super league as a 18 years old? Is Kilger a good first line player because he had some "success" with Koivu in the 2002 playoffs? Is Perreault a real effective first line player? Is Dagenais going to be a great goalscorer in the NHL?

Easy to go by stats only... There are several factors to consider when you go by stats... The prob with you is that you don't seem what's having the tool... I don't think Michaud had very good stats in Junior neither in the ECHL league as well as I think there is a very good reason why he did'nt come back with the WJC... To me Michaud is an average prospect, he is very small and look overall bad in the net!

Comparing him to elite goaltender prospects like Lehtonen is not only laughable but totally insane!

Edit: Toward the mid season, some backup were among the best goaltenders of the league going with stats, save %, avg goal against... Does it mean they are as good as the starters ahead them? There are several factors to considere when you evaluate the goaltenders as the way the team play in front of them, the quality of the teams they face, the quality and quantity of the scoreing chances they face...

Last edited by Rectificator: 03-20-2004 at 03:06 AM.
Old
03-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Sonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectificator
Is Ribeiro as good as Fedorov? Is Michel Ouellet better than both Perezhogin and Higgins? Is Kastsitsyn a flop just because he got very limited ice time in the russian super league as a 18 years old? Is Kilger a good first line player because he had some "success" with Koivu in the 2002 playoffs? Is Perreault a real effective first line player? Is Dagenais going to be a great goalscorer in the NHL?

Easy to go by stats only... There are several factors to consider when you go by stats... The prob with you is that you don't seem what's having the tool... I don't think Michaud had very good stats in Junior neither in the ECHL league as well as I think there is a very good reason why he did'nt come back with the WJC... To me Michaud is an average prospect, he is very small and look overall bad in the net!

Comparing him to elite goaltender prospects like Lehtonen is not only laughable but totally insane!

Edit: Toward the mid season, some backup were among the best goaltenders of the league going with stats, save %, avg goal against... Does it mean they are as good as the starters ahead them? There are several factors to considere when you evaluate the goaltenders as the way the team play in front of them, the quality of the teams they face, the quality and quantity of the scoreing chances they face...
Did you ever saw him play more than a game or 2?

Old
03-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
How can you Compare Lethonen With Michaud??? It's completely ridiculous,Lethonen just played Is first game In the AHL and you compared Is stats with those of Michaud.Michaud will be maybe be a good backup In the NHL but to compared him with Kari Lethonen Is just Insane

Last edited by Belarus Rocket: 03-20-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old
03-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Habsolument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future=Hossa
How can you Compare Lethonen With Michaud??? It's completely ridiculous,Lethonen just played Is first game In the AHL and you compared Is stats with those of Michaud.Michaud will be maybe be a good backup In the NHL but to compared him with Olivier Michuad Is just Insane
Not sure what you mean with this post

Old
03-20-2004, 10:42 AM
RE-HABS

Michaud was another great UFA signing like Danis. Both are young and have a lot to learn in the Pro game. Michaud is learning and has played reasonably well in Hamilton considering he started the year in the ECHL.

Habs management aren't writing Michaud off, they are making a weak position in prospects stronger and getting ready to let Fichaud and Damphousse move on. Fichaud isn't getting any younger and has no legit chance of ever getting back to the Big Show and Damphousee will be nothing more than a career minor leaguer.

We drafted 2 tenders last year in Halak and Heino-Lindberg so it is obviously a wekness the Habs are wanting to get ready for the future. Signing Danis only strengthens us for the future and for Hamilton for the next couple of seasons.

If we draft a centre or sign a college centreman do we write off Higgins or Plekanec? No, we just strengthen our teams future...BG, AS & TT are always looking ahead to tommorow not to today.

Old
03-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Sonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Michaud is learning and has played reasonably well in Hamilton considering he started the year in the ECHL.
Exactly!

Old
03-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument
Not sure what you mean with this post
DUHHHHHH

Old
03-20-2004, 01:02 PM
merlin

Either 2 things are going to happen here. Fichaud and/or Damphouse are goners or that they are preparing to trade a goalie. My guess would be Garon. The way he is playing now, his value is up. No point in keeping him as a back-up as he will never get more than 25 games a year. He deserves better. My only question would be who can take his place? Fichaud? Maybe 15 games top.

We now have a lot of goalies in our system:

Halak and Lindberg (will both play in Europe next year)
Damphouse(Hamilton, minor league goalie, goner?)
Danis (Hamilton or ECHL)
Fichaud (Hamilton? maybe a goner, Theo back-up if we trade Garon?)
Michaud (Hamilton or ECHL)

Remember that goalies peak later than other positions. Aside from Fichaud and Damphouse, all are very young and will require time to develop.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:25 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

To put Michaud and Lehtonen in the same sentence is not funny at all. :mad: How many times have you seen Michaud? How about Lehtonen? If Fichaud/Damphousse where not injured, it's very likely Michaud would still be in Columbus where he lost the starting job to the devils slovak goalie (who's gone now). Go ahead keep posting how great his numbers are, Michaud's played in 14 games in the AHL, lets see what he does in a full season first.

Danis is better then every goalie prospect we have. You seem to overlook how good he is.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
To put Michaud and Lehtonen in the same sentence is not funny at all. :mad: How many times have you seen Michaud? How about Lehtonen? If Fichaud/Damphousse where not injured, it's very likely Michaud would still be in Columbus where he lost the starting job to the devils slovak goalie (who's gone now). Go ahead keep posting how great his numbers are, Michaud's played in 14 games in the AHL, lets see what he does in a full season first.

Danis is better then every goalie prospect we have. You seem to overlook how good he is.

100% agree with you Montreal,I just can't understand why he compared Michaud to Lethonen :mad:

Old
03-20-2004, 03:29 PM
db23

montreal said that Michaud was not doing well in the AHL. But the numbers show otherwise. He average is identical to Fichaud and better than Damphousse on Hmilton. Also better than a lot of the big hype guys. That was why I brought their names up. Michaud is the second youngest in the league at the moment. The other two young goalers Toivonen and Lehtonen were both first round picks. What does he have to do to get the benefit of the doubt?

Old
03-20-2004, 04:21 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
montreal said that Michaud was not doing well in the AHL. But the numbers show otherwise. He average is identical to Fichaud and better than Damphousse on Hmilton. Also better than a lot of the big hype guys. That was why I brought their names up. Michaud is the second youngest in the league at the moment. The other two young goalers Toivonen and Lehtonen were both first round picks. What does he have to do to get the benefit of the doubt?

Show me where I said Michaud is not doing well. :mad: You haven't answered my question, HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SEEN HIM PLAY? it's a simple question.

Michaud isn't doing anything great in the AHL. Last week his save % was .905, not great but solid. I've seen him play in Hamilton and he's done ok but thats as far as I would go. If he was doing so good, why did Jarvis say in an interview that he wanted to play Damphousse in every game?

But at least get your numbers right. Michaud does not have better numbers then Fichaud who has a .917 save % vs .913 for Michaud who's faced much less rubber.

Old
03-20-2004, 04:56 PM
db23

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Show me where I said Michaud is not doing well. :mad: You haven't answered my question, HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SEEN HIM PLAY? it's a simple question.

Michaud isn't doing anything great in the AHL. Last week his save % was .905, not great but solid. I've seen him play in Hamilton and he's done ok but thats as far as I would go. If he was doing so good, why did Jarvis say in an interview that he wanted to play Damphousse in every game?

But at least get your numbers right. Michaud does not have better numbers then Fichaud who has a .917 save % vs .913 for Michaud who's faced much less rubber.
You certainly said that on the other thread you lying little ****, and I never said Fichaud had worse numbers. Read the bloody thread. Don't bother responding if you're going to be miserable and twist everything to protect your pathetic ego.

Old
03-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
You certainly said that on the other thread you lying little ****, and I never said Fichaud had worse numbers. Read the bloody thread. Don't bother responding if you're going to be miserable and twist everything to protect your pathetic ego.

How 'bout you respond to his question? How many times have you actually seen him play? I think your silence says it all.

Oh and by the way, the guy has responded well to all your posts and the best thing you find to do is insult him? Nice, real nice.

Old
03-20-2004, 05:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Your right I did say he hasn't played all that well (which was my exact words, I can't find where I said he played bad, but if you can find it then my bad) And I did reread your thread your right you said identical. There's no reason for name calling as we all make mistakes. Relax, it's no bid deal.

But you have never answered my question. How many times have you seen him play. That's all I want to know.

Did you happen to listen to coach Jarvis's pregame comments? He talked about Michaud having a good start, after some very shaky ones, and he's glad to see it. (although that wasn't his exact words, but very close to that)

Edit: and btw, my ego is just fine.

Closed Thread