HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

On the Ribeiro high stick he got......

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Schwang

vCash: 500
On the Ribeiro high stick he got......

Anyone notice that idiot Niedermayer said something to him and was laughing at him when he got up? Why was that not an unsportsmanlike? Or at least the ref should have told him to get lost. Gee, and they wonder why they have problems in this league. It's bad enough it wasn't called, but that just shows a lack of respect.

Old
03-20-2004, 10:56 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang
Anyone notice that idiot Niedermayer said something to him and was laughing at him when he got up? Why was that not an unsportsmanlike? Or at least the ref should have told him to get lost. Gee, and they wonder why they have problems in this league. It's bad enough it wasn't called, but that just shows a lack of respect.
Niedermeyer is a well respected player in the league and Riberio was reacting to the high stick by saying something himself too. I'm sure Niedermeyer was just telling him to calm down and that the high stick was an accident by Brylin (Sergei doesn't play that way).

Old
03-20-2004, 11:02 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Niedermeyer is a well respected player in the league and Riberio was reacting to the high stick by saying something himself too. I'm sure Niedermeyer was just telling him to calm down and that the high stick was an accident by Brylin (Sergei doesn't play that way).
Accident or not, you get a stick to the face, I doubt you would be happy.

Old
03-20-2004, 11:09 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Accident or not, you get a stick to the face, I doubt you would be happy.
Totally agree, but Niedermeyer wouldn't be making light of the matter. He was probably trying to tell Ribs it was an accident, but if your in that position at that time your not going to listen to that I know. Ribs probably would have been happier to see Brylin get the penalty but as usual another high stick is missed by 2 officials.

Old
03-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Sonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I'm sure Niedermeyer was just telling him to calm down and that the high stick was an accident by Brylin (Sergei doesn't play that way).
Telling this to Ribeiro with a big smile on his face? Doesn't go together IMO.

Old
03-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

What happened in that situation? When Ribs got up, it seemed like the Devils fans were booing.... Were they mad that he was down for so long and didn't draw blood?

Old
03-20-2004, 11:51 AM
sonnytheman

Maybe Niedermayer said something about not being so dramatic. There was an obvious high-stick, but I thought it was kinda comical how dramatically Ribeiro fell, throwing the stick, then throwing the gloves, then taking off the helmet in a span of 1 second.

Old
03-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Aarex

ribs did have a bleeding nose

Old
03-20-2004, 12:02 PM
jcpenny

seconds after rivet gets a penalty for doing a great play. Those refs somtimes...

Old
03-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Jc, are you saying that high stick should have been called? It was purely accidental, Brylin didn't intend to do it, he was swung around by a Habs player.

I agree with you sonny. When I play, I hate it when players go down so dramatically when they get hit, as if they are shot... I think this is probably the reason why Niedermayer said anything at all.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Boardish

An high stick, accidental or not, is still an high stick. It should have been 4 mins, Ribeiro was bleeding.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Glacier

It was only a highstick. Riberio was on the ice clutching his face like he'd broken something. That was the first game i've watched Riberio in and I wasn't impressed.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:31 PM
EaGLE1

Remember the last game between New Jersey and Habs? Habs won when Ribeiro received an elbow in the face and fall on the ice, the same way as yesturday...They scored on PP to win 2-1. It was very frustrating for NJ, and some though that elbow was BS, and that Ribeiro was faking...It's obvious that Niedermayer tell Ribeiro to stop faking. (In fact, there was no fake in both case)

Old
03-20-2004, 12:31 PM
habsfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish
An high stick, accidental or not, is still an high stick. It should have been 4 mins, Ribeiro was bleeding.
Its a play that could have changed the outcome of the game....brylin was careless and should have gotten his team a 4 minute powerplay....

As for ribs falling to the ice like that, i dont know if you have gotten a stick in the face before, but i have and trust me it hurts, especially around the nose, so leave him alone

Old
03-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Aarex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier
It was only a highstick. Riberio was on the ice clutching his face like he'd broken something. That was the first game i've watched Riberio in and I wasn't impressed.
Only a high stick? Tell that to Al MacInnis...I'm not saying this was in the same league of things, and im not saying that rib's didn't do a "dive" i'm just saying that high sticking can potentially cause a huge problem.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
Only a high stick? Tell that to Al MacInnis...I'm not saying this was in the same league of things, and im not saying that rib's didn't do a "dive" i'm just saying that high sticking can potentially cause a huge problem.
Yeah, ask Chad Kilger about those high stick in question...

Old
03-20-2004, 12:46 PM
hosehead

Friesen is accusing Ribs of faking -- this is from a NJ newspaper:

"The Devils were not happy with Montreal forward Mike Ribeiro, who dropped to the ice in dramatic fashion early in the third period after taking an inadvertent high stick to the face from Sergei Brylin.

Ribeiro threw off his helmet and remained down on the ice for several minutes, but eventually got up with no visible injury. Brylin was not penalized, and Jeff Friesen was one of the players who yelled at Ribeiro from the Devils bench after he finally got up.

"I think if you lay down, you should be out for the period," Friesen said. "If you're down, and you're looking for your teeth or your eye or something, then okay. I mean, nobody wants an injury like that, but if it's just a cut, I don't think we need to stop the play for five minutes.

"If it's a serious injury, then yeah, of course. But if you're not seriously hurt, then I don't see what's the big ordeal."

This isn't the first time Ribeiro has drawn the Devils' ire with his behavior. Late in a game in Montreal on March 1, Ribeiro dropped to the ice to draw a roughing penalty to Scott Niedermayer. Montreal scored on the ensuing power play to win the game, 2-1. "

The way Ribs went down though I did expect him to be injured worse than he was. What do you guys think , did Ribiero overreact ??

Old
03-20-2004, 12:54 PM
electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosehead
Friesen is accusing Ribs of faking -- this is from a NJ newspaper:

"The Devils were not happy with Montreal forward Mike Ribeiro, who dropped to the ice in dramatic fashion early in the third period after taking an inadvertent high stick to the face from Sergei Brylin.

Ribeiro threw off his helmet and remained down on the ice for several minutes, but eventually got up with no visible injury. Brylin was not penalized, and Jeff Friesen was one of the players who yelled at Ribeiro from the Devils bench after he finally got up.

"I think if you lay down, you should be out for the period," Friesen said. "If you're down, and you're looking for your teeth or your eye or something, then okay. I mean, nobody wants an injury like that, but if it's just a cut, I don't think we need to stop the play for five minutes.

"If it's a serious injury, then yeah, of course. But if you're not seriously hurt, then I don't see what's the big ordeal."

This isn't the first time Ribeiro has drawn the Devils' ire with his behavior. Late in a game in Montreal on March 1, Ribeiro dropped to the ice to draw a roughing penalty to Scott Niedermayer. Montreal scored on the ensuing power play to win the game, 2-1. "

The way Ribs went down though I did expect him to be injured worse than he was. What do you guys think , did Ribiero overreact ??
When the trainer came on the ice, he put a towel on his face. If you look closely, you see that soon there is blood on that towell.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:58 PM
MontrealCruiser_83*

He got knicked about an inch and a half under the eye... between the cheekbone and the nose... What must of concerned him was that Brylins stick was stuck under his visor for a second or two... IMO, it was a genuine reaction and Brylin deserved a 4 minute penalty

Old
03-20-2004, 01:00 PM
HF-Addict

Like I said in a previous thread, someone should have knock Nierdermayer for yapping his mouth off

Hopefully, tonight, things will be done.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict
Like I said in a previous thread, someone should have knock Nierdermayer for yapping his mouth off

Hopefully, tonight, things will be done.
If Langdon is in there we will see a lot of action!

Old
03-20-2004, 01:07 PM
EaGLE1

I must admit that Ribeiro have overeacted. But, there should be a 4min penalty for that nasty high-sticking. No ****ing penalty at all. 2 Ref and no call. :mad:

There should be only 1 ref on the ice! Damn NHL!

Old
03-20-2004, 01:20 PM
tritone

The stick was high no doubt ....but throwing off the gloves and having the presence to unsnap his helmet as he's falling with arms flailing ????
And the judges pull out the score cards 10.0 for artistic embellishment

Old
03-20-2004, 02:31 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Jc, are you saying that high stick should have been called? It was purely accidental, Brylin didn't intend to do it, he was swung around by a Habs player.

I agree with you sonny. When I play, I hate it when players go down so dramatically when they get hit, as if they are shot... I think this is probably the reason why Niedermayer said anything at all.
95% of highsitcks penalty are accidental by the way, and they are called.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:54 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
2 Ref and no call. :mad:

There should be only 1 ref on the ice! Damn NHL!
I hate when people make these comments! :mad: (Pedneault and Houde have said it on numerous occasions)
There's absolutely NO reasoning behind it!
Because there's still crime, do we say we have too many cops? It doesn't make sense. Do you honnestly think that the play would have been called if there was only one ref?? And how many times do you think one of the refs have missed a high-stick and the other was able to make the call.
People just like to whine against the NHL.
Anyhow good luck tonight vs. the Devs!
GO HABS GO!!

Closed Thread