HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Cole

Old
04-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Cole

I have not been impressed with him at all after the first week he got back... He is very similar to the player that left here but with more defensive ability... It makes me nervous that he didn't improve any during his prime and it looks like we are set to give him 3+ mil a year for 3-4 years... I know his speed helps out Staal, but I really believe we can find a free agent that will help Staal even more... I would love to make a push for Martin Havlat before signing Cole...

Part II

I really think he should be moved off the Staal line for game six... Move Whitney or someone who can put shots on the net and created more chances for Staal to pick up a goal in traffic in front of the net... I just don't see a thing from Cole right now and it's do or die...

I know some of that might not be popular, but I was just sharing my opinion.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:07 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Cole was moved off the Staal line last night, wasn't he? Cullen played with Ruutu-Cole and Staal played with Whitney-LaRose.

But I agree. Cole still tries the same exact move on every shift. The only time it actually works is when we're playing against some garbage, injury-riddled team that is dressing minor league defensemen like Tampa Bay or NYI. What is it now, 0 goals in 17 games? 0 points in the playoffs?

Cole is not a first line winger and he sure as hell shouldn't be on the powerplay. 2 PP points in 22 games while getting top unit PP time = awful. Does the coaching staff seriously believe that someone like Jokinen couldn't do better than that?

That's my big issue with re-signing Cole: paying him big money insures that he will continue to get first line, top unit PP time despite his talent level suggesting he shouldn't. It keeps us from getting a real[ first line winger like Havlat or whoever.

The "Staal is more productive with Cole" line ignores that Staal did the exact same thing last season, which was disappear (in terms relative to Staal's capability) for the first 2/3rds of the season only to magically turn it on in for the final stretch.

Let's look at Staal's stats prior to the Brind'amour injury last season and compare it to this season prior to the Cole acquisition.

Staal's first 59 games in 07-08: 27 goals, 47 points
Staal's first 65 games in 06-07: 28 goals, 50 points

Is it possible that Staal is simply is an end-of-the-year player and that Cole just happened to come here at the right time?

Last edited by impeach estaalo: 04-24-2009 at 12:37 PM.
impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Oh I agree too... I guess I meant there is more of a perceived Staal improvement...

I just think we should let him walk... Concentrate on Ruutu and LaRose and then go after Havlat...

I would like a Ruutu-Staal-Havlat line

Old
04-24-2009, 12:15 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
I am disappointed with Cole performance.

I am disappointed with Samsonov performance.

Those are two players who haven't done anything during the playoffs and during the last games of regular season.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
I am disappointed with Cole performance.

I am disappointed with Samsonov performance.

Those are two players who haven't done anything during the playoffs and during the last games of regular season.
Completely agree... I think we should let both walk, but I think it was a forgone conclusion that Sergie was gone

Old
04-24-2009, 12:20 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Completely agree... I think we should let both walk, but I think it was a forgone conclusion that Sergie was gone
not to change the thread to a different direction but Sammy is signed for two more years.

or did you mean something else but him being gone?

Old
04-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
not to change the thread to a different direction but Sammy is signed for two more years.

or did you mean something else but him being gone?
Oh, I didn't realize he had two years left... My bad... HOw the hell did I miss that LOL

Old
04-24-2009, 12:27 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Samsonov at least has the excuse of playing with two offensive black holes in Brind'amour-Eaves. Cole is clearly playing with two players that are better than him and can't do anything but constantly turn the puck over.

Cole's end of season and playoff "performance" has moved him to the back of my signing priority list with Seidenberg. Babchuk gets a pass because he's still only 24 and is a playoff rookie. Other than him, the only two players I want back at reasonable prices are Ruutu and Jokinen. LaRose is someone I feel should walk to make room for one of Boychuk/Bowman.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:28 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize he had two years left... My bad... HOw the hell did I miss that LOL
just wait til we sign Afinogenov this off season. Surely Staal needs a speedy forward, who can dangle, to be more productive.

Old
04-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Count me in with the group who hasn't been overly impressed with Cole.

Any way you slice it, if you're getting paid 4 million per season and will likely get between 3-4 on this new deal (Which I would think will happen, no question) you need to produce, especially for a franchise like this who doesn't throw money at the wind. We can't afford to have a 3-4 million dollar forward playing on the top line with our top players and not produce as expected.

I love Erik Cole, but in the 22 games he has played since his return (Playoffs included) he has 2 goals. One of those goals was in his first game back. Aside from that first game, that's 1 goal in his last 21 games.

But it's ok, because he has a decent collection of assists which make his points per game look better. Not including the post season, he collected 15 points in his 17games since returning to Carolina. I understand that some players don't necessarily have to score goals to be effective, but truth be told I expected a bit more in the goals column much like I think many did. And for this franchise, being paid that money = You need to produce.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchuk View Post
Samsonov at least has the excuse of playing with two offensive black holes in Brind'amour-Eaves. Cole is clearly playing with two players that are better than him and can't do anything but constantly turn the puck over.

Cole's end of season and playoff "performance" has moved him to the back of my signing priority list with Seidenberg. Babchuk gets a pass because he's still only 24 and is a playoff rookie. Other than him, the only two players I want back at reasonable prices are Ruutu and Jokinen. LaRose is someone I feel should walk to make room for one of Boychuk/Bowman.
I don't think he should walk... He is one of 4 players on the team that has really showed up... He created most of our scoring chances last night and I don't think he will be that expensive... I think there will be some trades to open up slots... To me our signing order should be

1) Ruutu
2) Babchuk
3) LaRose
4) Jokinen
5) Seidenberg
6) Cole

I loved Cole when he first splashed on the scene and my red jersey is even a Cole jersey, but he has become a one trick diving pony and he isn't even getting the penalty calls anymore when he drops his left shoulder and goes around the defender... He puts himself into scoring position more than most any player and finishes less than most players... It's increasingly frustrating... The more you look at Cole's career, you notice something... He shows up huge about 10 games a year and scores half his goals in those 10 games and he completely non-existent in the other 72

Old
04-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn Smythe View Post
Count me in with the group who hasn't been overly impressed with Cole.

Any way you slice it, if you're getting paid 4 million per season and will likely get between 3-4 on this new deal (Which I would think will happen, no question) you need to produce, especially for a franchise like this who doesn't throw money at the wind. We can't afford to have a 3-4 million dollar forward playing on the top line with our top players and not produce as expected.

I love Erik Cole, but in the 22 games he has played since his return (Playoffs included) he has 2 goals. One of those goals was in his first game back. Aside from that first game, that's 1 goal in his last 21 games.

But it's ok, because he has a decent collection of assists which make his points per game look better. Not including the post season, he collected 15 points in his 17games since returning to Carolina. I understand that some players don't necessarily have to score goals to be effective, but truth be told I expected a bit more in the goals column much like I think many did. And for this franchise, being paid that money = You need to produce.
I think half points came in two games didn't they... Like 4 assists in two different games

Old
04-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think half points came in two games didn't they... Like 4 assists in two different games

Yes. In games vs. Tampa and the Islanders.

Old
04-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn Smythe View Post
Yes. In games vs. Tampa and the Islanders.
So take out two games against the gutter teams and he as 7 points in 20 games... No thanks, I'll pass on his $3mil contract

Old
04-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So take out two games against the gutter teams and he as 7 points in 20 games... No thanks, I'll pass on his $3mil contract
But Jimmy won't.

Old
04-24-2009, 01:02 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

If Cole continues his craptastic performance I will have no problem if we let him walk in the offseason. He has just been plain terrible this series and frankly doesn't look like the Cole we are used to. Yes, he played well with Staal for a stretch of several games but what's the point if you can't do it in crunch time too?

If I see him do another toe trag right into a defender or a rush down his off wing only to cough the puck up I might throw up.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:03 PM
snakepliskin

they have eyes but yet they cannot see-

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 09:53 PM
snakepliskin

record since cole was reacquired 12-3-2----it has always been cole's intangibles speed and chemistry w/ the other guys that makes him more valuable to our organization than any other team--with ruutu and walker healthy and cole in our lineup we have enough grit to stand up to anybody that tries to dish out crap--i would like to see a real physical stay at home d-man to go along w/ gleason on our blue line next year--one real mean tough S-O-B

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin View Post
record since cole was reacquired 12-3-2----it has always been cole's intangibles speed and chemistry w/ the other guys that makes him more valuable to our organization than any other team--with ruutu and walker healthy and cole in our lineup we have enough grit to stand up to anybody that tries to dish out crap--i would like to see a real physical stay at home d-man to go along w/ gleason on our blue line next year--one real mean tough S-O-B
Nope, Cole's energy lasted a week... You don't pay $3.5 mil for a one trick pony

Old
04-26-2009, 11:57 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Nope, Cole's energy lasted a week... You don't pay $3.5 mil for a one trick pony
Hey, at least you guys got a good week out of him. That's about 5 days more than we got here in Oil Country.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 06:56 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Not gonna comment on Cole until the playoffs are finished. Bad mojo.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 07:04 PM
LetsgoCanes

What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin View Post

LetsgoCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Senatorsfan92*

What do you guys think is going to happen to Erik Cole will he resign with the Hurricanes before July 1st or will Erik Cole hit the open market what if he strugles tonight in game seven and does not get any points tonight then what do you guys think happens?

If Jim Rutherford is not happy with Erik Cole and does not decide to resign him could you guys see Jim Rutherford trading Erik Cole rights at the draft or before July 1st?

Senatorsfan92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatorsfan56 View Post
What do you guys think is going to happen to Erik Cole will he resign with the Hurricanes before July 1st or will Erik Cole hit the open market what if he strugles tonight in game seven and does not get any points tonight then what do you guys think happens?

If Jim Rutherford is not happy with Erik Cole and does not decide to resign him could you guys see Jim Rutherford trading Erik Cole rights at the draft or before July 1st?
Do you think Erik Cole would ever be traded for Joe Corvo?

Old
04-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Do you think Erik Cole would ever be traded for Joe Corvo?
Maurice will put Leighton in net for Game 7, he will record 13 consecutive shutouts, leading Carolina to the Stanley Cup, I am rite and you are wrong, you know nothing about hockey.

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote