HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing with taped knees?

Old
04-18-2009, 09:06 PM
noobman

vCash: 500
Playing with taped knees?

Hey,

Ive found that my knees are really starting to give out. In particular, my left knee can't bear a ton of weight. I can stand on one leg and I can walk, but jogging/running is painful and I can't do one legged squats without my knee feeling like its going to buckle.

Taping up the knee helps that significantly, although there is still some discomfort.

Anyways, I'd like to know whether I should be taping up my knee and playing, or just resting altogether.

Also, is it possible to become "dependent" on knee taping? I don't want to play on it too often and wind up relying on it every time I need to exercise.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Tinkeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Hey,

Ive found that my knees are really starting to give out. In particular, my left knee can't bear a ton of weight. I can stand on one leg and I can walk, but jogging/running is painful and I can't do one legged squats without my knee feeling like its going to buckle.

Taping up the knee helps that significantly, although there is still some discomfort.

Anyways, I'd like to know whether I should be taping up my knee and playing, or just resting altogether.

Also, is it possible to become "dependent" on knee taping? I don't want to play on it too often and wind up relying on it every time I need to exercise.
Ideally, you should see a sports doctor to find out what's wrong with your knee. I've had lots of knee problems before, which taught me how important the right rehabilitation program is.

Tinkeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Hockeyfan68

yeah it sounds like you need strengthening of your knee more than any support.

I say this because I have a hole (not a hole really but a skin covered hole) in the side of my right knee from a very serious leg infection as a small boy at 11 years old. i was in the hospital and almost had the leg amputated.

I have some cartilage gone and years ago had a strength rehab thing which improved everything tremendously. now I have a knee that feels as strong as the other one and gives me no troubles.

I need to do something similar with my wrists as I am always having tendon issues from shooting pucks and playing hockey.

Good luck in any case and look into strengthening your knees.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Devil Dancer

Go see a doctor.

Assuming you still need support after your visit, try one of these:

I tore my ACL 12 years ago and my left knee still has some lingering stability issues, so I use an Ace brace every time I play. My knee feels great, and the brace only costs about $15, so there's really nothing to lose.

I machine wash and dry my brace after every game (about 3X per week) and my last one lasted me 1.5 years. Not bad for $15.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Steelhead16

Definately go see a doctor who specializes in sports related injuries. There are so many different things that can be wrong in there. I have had knee issues for years and I wear a different brace on each knee when I skate because I have something different wrong with each knee. I can't ski anymore but I can still skate at least a little. I've had physical therapists in the past give me different workouts to strengthen the areas around the bad parts to take the pressure off of the bad part. I know people who have had complete ACL tears still be able to play with a brace on. The brace stablized the knee and strengthening the quads and calf muscles and smaller muscles around the knee made up for what was missing.
It can be done but get some professional help to get you started. Trust me, if you do it wrong you can make a mess that only a knife or scope can fix. Good Luck.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:13 PM
noobman

Oddly enough my knee feels better today than it did yesterday, even though I was playing.

It's the last game of the season so I'll tape it up to play and then see a doctor sometime during the week. Thanks for the advice everyone.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Oddly enough my knee feels better today than it did yesterday, even though I was playing.

It's the last game of the season so I'll tape it up to play and then see a doctor sometime during the week. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Seriously good luck friend

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 02:37 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I'm not a doctor, don't even play 1 on TV but I'd be willing to bet you need knee surgery. Sounds like the ACL to me, which I've had repaired. If you have insurance get an MRI and get it fixed, going through life taping up body parts to make sure they stay in place is not very smart with the modern medicine we have now. And it aint going to get better as you get older. If you don't get it fixed you can look forward to scooting around town in 1 of those little rascals or whatever they're called. Not a cool look.

Last edited by The Tikkanen: 04-20-2009 at 02:13 PM.
The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Gino 14

Quote:

Don't put off seing the doctor just because you feel a little better, it's only temporary.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:24 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

If this problem has continued long term, get it checked out right away. If it's something like a congenital knee defect, which I happen to have, it's something you can strengthen and see permanent improvement in usually, but if it's a major muscle tear, you'll need to go under the knife, so find out soon.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote