HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Lupul, Briere, Knuble, Carter

Old
04-23-2009, 09:17 PM

vCash: 50
Lupul, Briere, Knuble, Carter

Dudes, we're barely alive and you've contributed almost nothing to a man. We will not win this series whilst carrying about $15m in dead cap space.

Any idea as to what the hell is going on with these?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:20 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
Dudes, we're barely alive and you've contributed almost nothing to a man. We will not win this series whilst carrying about $15m in dead cap space.

Any idea as to what the hell is going on with these?
In case you missed it, Knuble scored tonight.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:23 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

I'd like to know what's going on with Briere. I don't recall many plays of him outside that one beauty of an assist. Carter has been fine till the hit in Game 4 and Lupul and Knuble have been ... Lupul und Knuble.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Yea, Knuble had a great game tonight IMO. He took Malkin off his game in the 3rd.

Lupul has been terrible, Carter has played alright. I think Briere has played fairly well, just hasn't gotten on the scoresheet as much as he should be.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:26 PM
IrishSniper87

You guys realize the Pens are purposely trying to take Richards and Carter out of the game right? Carter is being shadowed by Staal.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Pretty embarrassing efforts for the most part. Each of them has made a play here and there, but these are all 25-50 goal scorers coming up small in the playoffs.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:32 PM
ph

Knuble and Briere have played great all series IMO. Briere's play is overshadowed by the fact that Giroux has been our best player. Carter is trying to do too much at times. Lupul has been invisible.

ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:46 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
lupul has been ineffective, but he's been throwing the body a bit more lately. i'm hopeful that he can improve.

briere hasn't been awful either. he looks good with giroux.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:48 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Carter and Briere have been fine. Save the 46 shot game where Carter was obviously shook up. Gagne/Knuble/Lupul haven't done much

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Miss Mess

Knuble and Briere have been solid. Atleast Lupul is finally moving his feet, he usually stands around

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:54 PM
sharkeyanti

Knuble was carrying the puck quite a bit in tonight's Game 5, it was weird. Knuble hasn't been effective because Gagne hasn't been using his speed at all, I keep thinknig he's carrying an injury, but Gags has been "playing slow" all year. Carter was straight up invisible tonight, I can remember him with posession maybe three times. If the Pens are keying in to shutting down the Carter line and having at it with the Richards line, I'm okay with that. Briere has been pretty good this series, also looking to create something, and he's been using his body pretty effectively on the forecheck and even on the backcheck.

sharkeyanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I'd like to know what's going on with Briere. I don't recall many plays of him outside that one beauty of an assist. Carter has been fine till the hit in Game 4 and Lupul and Knuble have been ... Lupul und Knuble.
He's doing what's expected of a guy that played 1/4 of the season. He's had some defensive takeaways that could have led to goals, i'm more disturbed with Carter and Lupul

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Lab Monkey

I think Danny isn't completely healthy. Everyone knows Briere is a playoff performer, I mean the guy has what like 50 points in the playoffs since the lockout? Carter is clearly still shaken up from his colision with the boards. I think Carter and Lupul should play on the 3rd, move Briere and Giroux up to second with Hartnell.

Once Carter is better give him more time. Once Lupul wakes up and gets a couple he will be of use again, he has always been streaky.

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:35 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Carter and Briere have been fine. Save the 46 shot game where Carter was obviously shook up. Gagne/Knuble/Lupul haven't done much
Gagne is the leading goal scorer on the team?

But I'm in agreement that something has to be done about the "second line" of Hartnell/Carter/Lupul. I would say give the Giroux line more ice time and reduce Carter's. This keeps Staal's line off the ice more often, and they have been getting way too many opportunities in our zone as of late. They have been the Pen's best line.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:59 AM
BrindamoursNose

I actually think the only one of those that can be considered dead weight is Knuble.

Lupul, Carter and Briere have played really despite not really scoring.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:03 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I've said since early on this season, 2 of Lupul, Briere and Knuble would have to go, oh and a defenseman, Jones or Carle, to save the team cap wise and playoff wise. The best thing would be trading them for guys rich in playoff experience and grit...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:02 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I actually think the only one of those that can be considered dead weight is Knuble.

Lupul, Carter and Briere have played really despite not really scoring.

That was a joke, right?

After all he was the third star picked by the Pittsburgh Media and had a goal, seven shots (none blocked or off net), 2 hits tonight and only slightly behind Richards on the team through 5 games. He plays all situations, and is vital on both special teams... meaning he is important whether he scores or not. He also is the teams best player in board battles, and is the top goalie screener; sometimes not getting a point but is a key reason for a score.

One may argue about affording him being he is a UFA and needs to be fit under the cap -- bonus laden contract may take care of that, BTW -- but one can never claim Knuble is "dead weight"... So therefore it had to be a joke.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
In case you missed it, Knuble scored tonight.
Oh, that's fine. 1 goal in 5 games! Way to go Mike! Seriously though, he takes far too many stupid penalties and isn't contributing enough offensively to make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
At least Gags has three goals, not much aside.

There are at least two games this series where you could be forgiven for not noticing Briere was even playing.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 06:54 AM
BigBanger

Briere is a waste of cap space and has done nothing this series. Same posters have screamed all year wait until playoffs and Danny girl will come alive.. he barely has a heartbeat.

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:36 AM
CharlieGirl

I've noticed Briere and Knuble on the ice a whole lot more than Carter and Lupul.

I don't know if Carter is nursing an injury, or if he's just in a badly-timed slump, but other than the hit he took on Tuesday, he's been invisible.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
All of you people complaining about Briere, best have the same criticisms of Gagne who hasn't done a damn thing on offense except be on the receiving end the great play by Giroux in Game 3. Other than that, a meaningless goal in Game 1 and an empty netter in Game 3. And he's getting almost 4 more minutes a game in the playoffs. Gagne has been doing the job in his own end for the most part, but Powe-Briere-Giroux has been our best line of the series.

The only issue of the original 4 is really with Lupul. Knuble hasn't been great, but just not getting the bounces, it's just the type of player he is on offense. Jeff Carter is making tremendous contributions, they're just not on offense, he's been matched up with Crosby who has been ineffective for the most part. And don't forget that Giroux is playing with Briere. I guess Giroux is doing all of this by himself.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
Briere is a waste of cap space and has done nothing this series. Same posters have screamed all year wait until playoffs and Danny girl will come alive.. he barely has a heartbeat.
I love the way you just went against what everyone just said. Briere has been playing very well, just isn't putting up points.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:07 AM
BigBanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I love the way you just went against what everyone just said. Briere has been playing very well, just isn't putting up points.
If being manhandled by defense, hitting Nobody in a physical series , and being Highjest paid player on team and playing like a third liner is solid then My girl Danny is exceptional!

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:08 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Gagne is the leading goal scorer on the team?

But I'm in agreement that something has to be done about the "second line" of Hartnell/Carter/Lupul. I would say give the Giroux line more ice time and reduce Carter's. This keeps Staal's line off the ice more often, and they have been getting way too many opportunities in our zone as of late. They have been the Pen's best line.
I agree. Giroux has shown that he can play very well every time he is out there. Plus I really like Knuble on that line, he fits better than Powe there.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:52 AM
BringBackStevens

I really feel that all of them are playing just fine with exception to Lupul.

It's not surprising though. If Lupul pots one of his toe drag wristers he could catch fire. Just how he is.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote