HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Smyth be playing with Nedved?

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Should Smyth be playing with Nedved?

This is not a slam against Torres, I love his style of play and I have liked his skill level since I saw him in the playoffs last season. The fact that he can make moves and smart plays doesn't surprise me at all, although I wouldn't have predicted 20 for him this season either.

It's just that Smyth is still our best forward along the wall aside from maybe BG, noone digs the puck out and centers it like Smytty does. Now that we have a center who can bury the puck shouldn't we put those two together? This team really needs Ryan at the top of his game to go anywhere, he should be with our #1 center.

With the team just getting their 3rd straight victory it's hard to mess with success, but our dynamic duo (everyone who plays with Radek is part of a dynamic duo - hmmmm) wasn't so hot last night.

Thoughts?

Old
03-20-2004, 12:05 PM
Allan

I had thought of this one, too. Torres' style of play has great similarity to Smyth's, except that obviously Smyth's game is better rounded, and he is a better playmaker, which would work well with a scoring centre. I'd love to see it.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:15 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Our current success has been from our 3rd/4th liners and d-men recently.

YES!!! They should be on the same line

Smyth - Nedved - Dvorak/Hemsky

that would rule

Old
03-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I wouldn't split up Nedved and Dvorak. I think part of the reason that Kevin Lowe got Nedved is to create the synergy with Radek.

It would be nice to see Smyth-Nedved-Dvorak play together.

BTW, sometimes Nedved reminds me of Gretzky. His stride is similar to Gretzky's, and he tucks his shirt in like Wayne. Plus the fact he wears 93, which looks like 99 from a distance. I remember when Gretz was still on the rangers, I would confuse the two.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
I thought Smyth should be on that line since day 1 that Nedved came

Old
03-20-2004, 12:21 PM
H-Bear

I certainly like the idea of creating a line like that. Who do you put on the other side? Dvorak? Hemsky? I kind of like:

Smyth - Nedved - Hemsky
Torres - Horcoff - Dvorak
Moreau - Stoll - York
Isbister - Oates - Laraque

Old
03-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Smyth-Nedved-Dvorak
Torres-York-Hemsky/Isbister
Moreau-Horcoff-Pisani
Chimera-Stoll-Laraque

That'd be what I'd like to see (can Isbister even play RW? I'd hate for him to be a healthy scratch)

Old
03-20-2004, 12:43 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Smyth-Nedved-Dvorak
Moreau-Horcoff-Pisani
Chimera-Stoll-Laraque

That'd be what I'd like to see (can Isbister even play RW? I'd hate for him to be a healthy scratch)
Yeah, he often plays RW.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:48 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Smyth-Nedved-Dvorak
Moreau-Horcoff-Pisani
Chimera-Stoll-Laraque

yah but if isbister plays rw, than either dvorak or hemsky wont get top 6 minutes which they should. i rather have isbister switch to the lw and replace chimera.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Walsher

No Smyth shouldn't be on that line. He has chemistry with Horcoff and frankly wouldn't gel with 2 talented players like Nedved and Dvorak. Smyth now has York with him and York is the best the Oilers have. And for all the people praying for a Hemsky-Nedved-Dvo line -- not this year people. Ales will be lucky to see any more action all year. He has been brutal and deserves the PB, that is where he belongs right now!

Old
03-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Matts

After the Oilers went up 4-3

York came out and threw a nice check down behind the Preds net. But offensively and hands wise, he just didn't have it.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:00 PM
smytty's mullet

i think that 2/3 of our top 2 lines have to be set in stone. nedved and d'vo is a no brainer and smyth and horcoff have tremendous chemistry going right now as well. i don't really care who the other winger on either of those 2 lines is right now, but i don't think you even consider breaking up those 2 pairs.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:01 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

I personally think that these lines would look decent...

Dvorak-Nedved-Hemsky <---"czeching line"
Smyth-York-Isbister
Moreau-Stoll-Laraque
Torres-Horcoff-Pisani

PB-Chimmer...If a winger can not play the opposite wing than he is a poor excuse for a hockey player...Therefore try out the "czeching line" I think they will play well together...Hemsky feeding Nedved and Dvorak...Moreau and Stoll work well together...what do you guys think?

Old
03-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
York came out and threw a nice check down behind the Preds net. But offensively and hands wise, he just didn't have it.
I thought York looked really good with the puck last night. Especially on the first PP - he was handling it well and created time and space for himself with quick moves in the corners. Granted he didn't create tones of chances but IMO that was a result of that line being hemmed in their own end all night. To me York looked much better than I thought he would be. On a side note, I was watching York in warmup and he was firing the puck pretty good without any apparent difficulties. He also took a slapshop in the game from the point that seemed to have decent velocity. He is the difference of this team. If he is healthy or as close to it as possible the Oilers are in good shape.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:19 AM
ToothlessAggression

Torres-Horcoff-Smyth
York-Nedved-Dvorak
Moreau-Stoll-Pisani
Isbister-Oates-Laraque

Atleast try York with Nedved and Dvo, I am really getting no love on that idea anywhere...

Old
03-21-2004, 12:38 AM
Hemmer

If it helps any...

I have been playing Smyth with Nedved and Dvorak for two straight seasons in my EHM league. Smyth has had back-to-back career years playing with Nedved and both have scored over 80 pts twice. This past season, they finished 3-4 in overall NHL scoring

And Stoll is an offensive whiz in my player file, who has dynamite chemistry with Hemsky. Back to back 50pt seasons for both, playing on the second line.

Old
03-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergize
Atleast try York with Nedved and Dvo, I am really getting no love on that idea anywhere...
Apparently we'll get to see that tonight.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:31 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Apparently we'll get to see that tonight.
Really???
I like the sounds of that.
If York is close to 100%, that could be a kickass line.

Old
03-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Master Lok

Geez, you guys are simply terrible. You've been on Mactavish's case all year about his line juggling, and now that the Oilers are on a roll with THREE strong lines, you want to mix them up? Terrible ideas. Hemsky doesn't deserve any such "czeching" line, the Nedved is going great with Dvo, what justification can you possibly use?

York - Nedved - Dvorak
Smyth - Horcoff - Pisani/Hemsky
Moreau - Stoll - Laraques
Torres - Oates - Pisani/Chimera/Isbister/Hemsky

Old
03-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I've said they should be together since Nedved got here. Smyth needs to play with a sniper and that's what Petr is. Give Nedved some of Horcoff's chances and he'll get 3 a game!!! Plus, with York looking like he's comming around, Torres - York - Dvorak back together, and if York isn't ready, put Oates or Stoll there.

Closed Thread