HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chance Bouwmeester sign's with Edmonton in the off-season?

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2009, 09:28 AM
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 50
so the oilers are gonna spend ~$15 mill on three defencemen with a 40 year old starting goalie and no depth up front? sounds like a recipe for success

Old
04-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Between goaltending and resigning Grebs, Smid and Brodziak... I don't know if the Oilers will be able to afford Bouwmeester... of course all that changes if Souray really did ask for a move

Old
04-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
so the oilers are gonna spend ~$15 mill on three defencemen with a 40 year old starting goalie and no depth up front? sounds like a recipe for success
I'd assume that either Souray or Visnovsky would be moved and that 5.5M would be spent on offensive help up front. Either one of those guys could get the Oilers someone pretty decent and even if we didn't win that individual trade, we'd still be adding Bouwmeester so the situation would be good.

With all that said, it seems like a highly unlikely situation and I'm not going to get my hopes up. JBO to Edmonton is like Lecavalier to Montreal. It sounds nice to have a hometown guy come and be the franchise player but it's not realistic.

Old
04-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Peter Griffin

Doesn't JayBo want to win? If so, why would he go to Edmonton?

Old
04-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Between goaltending and resigning Grebs, Smid and Brodziak... I don't know if the Oilers will be able to afford Bouwmeester... of course all that changes if Souray really did ask for a move
He didn't.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...399/story.html

Old
04-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Moore Money

Does Edmonton need another D man? They need to fix the forward group more than anything.

Old
04-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

can i post a negative number?

Old
04-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Boondock

I don't have any inside knowledge, and I haven't heard anything of the sort, but I have a feeling he might sign with Dallas. With Zubov and Sydor being UFA's Dallas' D is Daley, Robidas. Grossman, Niskanen. JBo would be a nice addition (I guess that could be said about any team the adds him)

Old
04-25-2009, 01:54 PM
fallout

69% mabye not that i high i just like the number

Old
04-25-2009, 02:07 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Doesn't JayBo want to win? If so, why would he go to Edmonton?
So you are saying the only team that he will realistically consider is the Wings then?

He's a pretty young guy yet. I think he will look at his next team in terms of organizational depth. The hockey market and how their immediate and long term future looks. The Oilers have their issues, but no one can say they sit on their hands. They are probably the biggest offseason headline grabbers around.

I think Bouwmeester could come to Edmonton and especially since Tambo was quoted saying that there will be major changes in the organization with an emphasis on winning and exciting hockey.

Old
04-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by davegagnerskid View Post
I think he will look at his next team in terms of organizational depth.
Two 20+ goal-scorers, one of which is a defenseman, sure is organizational depth. Especially when one of them has recently asked to be traded.

Old
04-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I think Bouwmeester could come to Edmonton and especially since Tambo was quoted saying that there will be major changes in the organization with an emphasis on winning and exciting hockey.
Oilers already have two first pairing defensemen who'll both make less than Jaybo. Shouldn't they concentrate on filling holes up front first? With Horcoff's new cap hit and Penner's contract chewing up valuable cap space - why on Earth would the Oilers spend even more money on the blueline which is decent already?

Old
04-25-2009, 02:44 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
Two 20+ goal-scorers, one of which is a defenseman, sure is organizational depth. Especially when one of them has recently asked to be traded.

The Souray trade request is pure speculation. He has already debunked the rumor, but I am not stupid enough to not realize that it may just be media posturing.

Sure. The Oilers are not currently loaded with big goal scorers. There were a few players with off years (Penner should get you 20+ and the same should be said of Horcoff) and the team does have some emerging prospects with high end ceilings (Gagner and Eberle). You are painting a way darker picture than need be.

The team has always been very proactive in trying to acquire talent, even if they failed for the most part. Comes with a rich owner, new coach and a guaranteed sold out barn.

Old
04-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Mr Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
The Polak strikes again.

You gotta get over it, your bitterness will eat you up inside, your hatred for Vancouver is just plain silly.

By the way, it he wants to win the Cup why would he choose the Oilers? the only reason I can think of is he has a golf passion and would love to work on his game full time april 1st of every year.
ZINGERRRR

Old
04-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Mr Shanahan

I'm sorry to break the news, but JBo has already signed with the Leafs. Florida traded his rights, and 5 jugs of orange juice for a lifetime supply of maple syrup.

$500,000/year for 20 years. Turns out he's not the brightest guy around, he thought 500,000 was 5 billion..

I wish..

Old
04-25-2009, 02:56 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Oilers already have two first pairing defensemen who'll both make less than Jaybo. Shouldn't they concentrate on filling holes up front first? With Horcoff's new cap hit and Penner's contract chewing up valuable cap space - why on Earth would the Oilers spend even more money on the blueline which is decent already?

Very true. I'm not sure what was going in the dressing room this year, but it's pretty apparent that all was not well. Was it just a coaching situation or were the players split too? We may have two high end first pairing d-men right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if one was moved out on or before the draft or July 1st.

JayBo may come cheaper than anticipated if the team he signs with does a Detroit Red Wing like deal.

Old
04-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Barney Gumble

While the coach always is the convenient scapegoat - I think in this instance, he was a good part of the problem. Rather than adapting to the type of players he had - he tried to change the players into a style that suited *HIS* coaching philosophy. Course, this is just my opinion as an "outsider".

Old
04-25-2009, 04:51 PM
One Trick Pony*

Really no need for JBO.

Going into next year, we have:

XXX-Horcoff-Hemsky
O"Sullivan-Gagner-XXX
Penner-XXX-Pisani
Moreau-Brodziak-Pouliot

Grebeshkov-Visnovsky
Souray-XXX
Smid-Strudwick

Trade Bait:
Gilbert
Cogliano
Nilsson
Schremp
Chorney

1st Line LW- With the Sharks looking to go golfing shortly, I expect there will be a massive roster overhaul, and one such player that could fall to the Oilers is Milan Michalek. He is exactly the type of player that could complement Hemsky, so I think Tom Gilbert could essentially be moved to acquire him. The Sharks need a RH Offensive D-Man to overcome Blake's possible retirment, and he would come at a cheaper price.

2nd Line RW- Ales Kotalik seemed to be a good fit in Edmonton during the stretch run, so I think the Oilers'll try to re-up him to a 2.5-3.0 Million dollar deal. Cheap Top Six forwards can be part of the solution.

3rd Line Center- The guy who would fit the Oilers best at this would probably be someone like Brian Sutherby. A good, local kid who can neutralize opponents. I think Dallas could use some more depth along the wings, so Nilsson and Schremp could be the possible candidates to get moved.

2nd Pairing Shutdown defenseman- Jay Mckee could possibly be available next year. The Blues would probably want a young proven talent that can fit in with their core, and become a replacement for Tkachuk in the summer. Cogliano could fit that description, so a package revolving around him could probably be enticing in their eyes. Chorney would be a nice fit in their farm system, and would add depth there.

All those moves would end up costing the Oilers 10.5 Million. With something like 7.5-8.0 Million going out the door.

Much better then signing Bouwmeester to a 7.0+ and having little money to adress other needs.

Old
04-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
So you are saying the only team that he will realistically consider is the Wings then?
Not at all. I just don't think there's much going for the Oilers at this point to lure JayBo other than being his hometown, which may or may not be enough to land him. The Oilers have some nice young pieces, but they also have some pretty big question marks with no answers in the pipeline for them. On top of that, puckmoving defenseman is probably the area the Oilers have the greatest depth in. Sure a player could be moved to make room, but don't Souray and Visnovsky both have NTC? Is there any indication either would waive to be moved at this point? If they wouldn't would the Oilers tie up $17M+ in three defensemen?

Old
04-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
I don't have any inside knowledge, and I haven't heard anything of the sort, but I have a feeling he might sign with Dallas. With Zubov and Sydor being UFA's Dallas' D is Daley, Robidas. Grossman, Niskanen. JBo would be a nice addition (I guess that could be said about any team the adds him)
I'd love him in a Dallas jersey next season but I don't think it'll happen. Like you, I'm going on a gut feeling as well.

Old
04-25-2009, 05:01 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
3rd Line Center- The guy who would fit the Oilers best at this would probably be someone like Brian Sutherby. A good, local kid who can neutralize opponents. I think Dallas could use some more depth along the wings, so Nilsson and Schremp could be the possible candidates to get moved.
Unless it is a right shot RW Dallas does not need depth on the wings. They will have Morrow, Lehts (said he will be back), Eriksson, Neal, Ott, and Brunnstrom. Dallas has plethora of LWs and Centers and left hand shots. Lehts is the only right hand RW they have, they need right shot RW if anything on the wings not another left shot. They also just signed Sutherby which would be a bit of a slap in the face.

Old
04-25-2009, 07:01 PM
The Pucks

Quote:

Whats the GM of a non-playoff team supposed to say? Were not changing anybody, we like to lose and play boring hockey?

Old
04-25-2009, 07:11 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilEberle View Post
What is the chance in percentage?? I say about 35%, YOUR TURN!!
Due to the cap situation in Edmonton, IMO, it's low...

Montreal: 25%
Toronto: 25%
Florida: 25%
Edmonton: 5%
Vancouver: 5%
San Jose: 5%
Phoenix: 5%
St. Louis: 5%

Old
04-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Not at all. I just don't think there's much going for the Oilers at this point to lure JayBo other than being his hometown, which may or may not be enough to land him. The Oilers have some nice young pieces, but they also have some pretty big question marks with no answers in the pipeline for them. On top of that, puckmoving defenseman is probably the area the Oilers have the greatest depth in. Sure a player could be moved to make room, but don't Souray and Visnovsky both have NTC? Is there any indication either would waive to be moved at this point? If they wouldn't would the Oilers tie up $17M+ in three defensemen?
Visnovsky's NTC was voided in the trade, and Souray's expires after next year I think and I'm sure he'd waive it if the Oilers were able to move him somewhere closer to his kids.

Old
04-25-2009, 09:53 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Visnovsky's NTC was voided in the trade, and Souray's expires after next year I think and I'm sure he'd waive it if the Oilers were able to move him somewhere closer to his kids.
Not according to Irish Blue.

http://nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

I can't find a link that says this, but I think I remember at the time the trade went down, the NMC was void but Edmonton decided to honor it.

Whatever happened, IB has him listed with a full NMC through 2012 (after that he can name 10 teams he'll accept a trade to), and he's the best source for all things related to a players contract.

Closed Thread