HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

nhlnumbers.com question

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
nhlnumbers.com question

I noticed on their salary cap spreadsheets that certain players caps hits are a different color..

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=LAK&season=0809

If you look at Kopitar Stoll's, Greene's, and Quincey's salaries they are a different color that the rest of the teams? Anyone know why?

I thought it meant extensions but Stoll was an RFA before the season and Quincey's old Detroit contract runs another year.

Old
04-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

vCash: 500
1. NHLSCAP.com is better
2. I believe those are extensions, and they want to differentiate so they are not averaged into the current one.

Old
04-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
1. NHLSCAP.com is better
2. I believe those are extensions, and they want to differentiate so they are not averaged into the current one.
Quincey and Stoll didn't sign extensions though

Old
04-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Big Kjell

Send a message via Yahoo to Big Kjell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I noticed on their salary cap spreadsheets that certain players caps hits are a different color..

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=LAK&season=0809

If you look at Kopitar Stoll's, Greene's, and Quincey's salaries they are a different color that the rest of the teams? Anyone know why?

I thought it meant extensions but Stoll was an RFA before the season and Quincey's old Detroit contract runs another year.
Salaries in orange are "estimates"....I guess for some reason not confirmed. Check the FAQ on the site which has the color codes.

I'm using both nhlnumbers.com and nhlscap.com and both have pros and cons.

Old
04-24-2009, 09:14 PM
broad

http://nhlnumbers.com/faq.php#faq2

According to the legend, orange fonts are estimated and red fonts indicate the player is on LTIR.

Old
04-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Quincey and Stoll didn't sign extensions though
Hmmm...I guess I'm quite mistaken then, my apologies.

Old
04-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Captain Ron

nhlscap.com has the actual numbers for those players.....I am not sure why nhlnumbers does not.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=LA

You have to click "show players salaries" in the upper right hand corner to get the yearly salary.

Old
04-25-2009, 01:13 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
nhlscap.com has the actual numbers for those players.....I am not sure why nhlnumbers does not.

You have to click "show players salaries" in the upper right hand corner to get the yearly salary.

I hate that I have to go to that FRACKING site to get the salery cap cap numbers

Old
04-25-2009, 04:27 AM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post

Nhlnumbers lists complete long term contracts such as DiPietro's or Kopitars, not NHLS.

Both sites are great sources for cap related informations. Nhl# has simpler but more user friendly design + "it doesn't come with an attitude if you know what I mean." I tended to use NHLS more frequently before it associated itself with HoB.

Last edited by AF1982: 04-25-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old
04-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Big Kjell

Send a message via Yahoo to Big Kjell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Nhlnumbers lists complete long term contracts such as DiPietro's or Kopitars, not NHLS.

Both sites are great sources for cap related informations. Nhl# has simpler but more user friendly design + "it doesn't come with an attitude if you know what I mean." I tended to use NHLS more frequently before it associated itself with HoB.
NHLS used to provide a spreadsheet with all the salaries for the whole league, which was very useful for players in the system. I'm not sure if they are still doing that. While I relied the most on NHLS in my leagues this year, I found NHLS to be much slower than nhlnumbers when it came to posting new contracts and moving players to their new teams after trades.

By the way, NHLPA.com also has the salaries for the current year so it can be a useful reference when in doubt.

Old
04-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna View Post
http://nhlnumbers.com/faq.php#faq2

According to the legend, orange fonts are estimated and red fonts indicate the player is on LTIR.
Whoops. That's what it was. Quincey played hurt so long I forgot the finally shut him down. Thanks Reyna

Old
04-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
I wasn't going to post again at HF until March 2010 ... but after an e-mail on this thread, it was apparent I needed to come in and set the record straight on a few things. [No, I won't be responding to comments here - so if you have any, e-mail me. No, I won't be posting again until March 2010 after this - and even that will be for one (1) post.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
1. NHLSCAP.com is better
Yes, it is.
-- My site doesn't claim that the Flyers ended the season with over $2 million in cap space and that the Flames ended the season with over $1 million in cap space, thus ignoring the fact that both teams were so short on cap space at the end of the season, they couldn't call anyone up from the minors to plug holes in the lineup created by nagging short-term injuries.
-- My site isn't estimating salaries beyond '08-09 for players signed to extensions because I don't know what the details are. I actually have those details.
-- My site doesn't think Alfredsson's cap number in his extension is $5.4 million. [Hint: it's not $5.4 million.]
-- My site actually includes buyouts in the cap calculations, instead of displaying them but wholly ignoring them when it comes to the calculations.

The list of such problems goes on and on ... so I'll make no apologies for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
"it doesn't come with an attitude if you know what I mean."
because as long as my information stands head and shoulders above nhlnumbers in terms of accuracy, I'll point out the [glaring] flaws at nhlnumbers all week long - especially knowing that nhlnumbers has previously claimed that it really wasn't that accurate and that my site was definitely more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kjell View Post
I'm using both nhlnumbers.com and nhlscap.com and both have pros and cons.
I know my cons. They still outweigh any pros nhlnumbers has - and if all goes as planned, in 2 months any cons people have with my site will disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
I hate that I have to go to that FRACKING site to get the salery cap cap numbers
Unless something unexpected happens in the next 35 days, it'll all be back at NHLSCAP starting July 1.

Quote:
NHLS used to provide a spreadsheet with all the salaries for the whole league, which was very useful for players in the system. I'm not sure if they are still doing that.
I am - you have to request it. The last update went out circa 1/31, I expect to have a nearly final '08-09 update out just after May 13 and a final update sent out shortly before July 1.

Quote:
By the way, NHLPA.com also has the salaries for the current year so it can be a useful reference when in doubt.
It only has the salaries. It doesn't have the cap numbers or the bonuses associated with the salary.

Old
04-25-2009, 11:24 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
I wasn't going to post again at HF until March 2010 ... but after an e-mail on this thread, it was apparent I needed to come in and set the record straight on a few things. [No, I won't be responding to comments here - so if you have any, e-mail me. No, I won't be posting again until March 2010 after this - and even that will be for one (1) post.]

Yes, it is.
-- My site doesn't claim that the Flyers ended the season with over $2 million in cap space and that the Flames ended the season with over $1 million in cap space, thus ignoring the fact that both teams were so short on cap space at the end of the season, they couldn't call anyone up from the minors to plug holes in the lineup created by nagging short-term injuries.
-- My site isn't estimating salaries beyond '08-09 for players signed to extensions because I don't know what the details are. I actually have those details.
-- My site doesn't think Alfredsson's cap number in his extension is $5.4 million. [Hint: it's not $5.4 million.]
-- My site actually includes buyouts in the cap calculations, instead of displaying them but wholly ignoring them when it comes to the calculations.

The list of such problems goes on and on ... so I'll make no apologies for

because as long as my information stands head and shoulders above nhlnumbers in terms of accuracy, I'll point out the [glaring] flaws at nhlnumbers all week long - especially knowing that nhlnumbers has previously claimed that it really wasn't that accurate and that my site was definitely more accurate.

I know my cons. They still outweigh any pros nhlnumbers has - and if all goes as planned, in 2 months any cons people have with my site will disappear.

Unless something unexpected happens in the next 35 days, it'll all be back at NHLSCAP starting July 1.

I am - you have to request it. The last update went out circa 1/31, I expect to have a nearly final '08-09 update out just after May 13 and a final update sent out shortly before July 1.

It only has the salaries. It doesn't have the cap numbers or the bonuses associated with the salary.
now I am confused....

I thought both were your sites--just the nhlscap was sold to "the evil" one and nhlnumbers was now run by a former partner of yours. If you are taking the site away from "the evil" one--I would be happy

Old
04-26-2009, 04:46 AM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Calm down Irish....you did a wonderful job of proofing my point. Listen, I really like your your work over at NHLS/ HoB. When I'm looking for detailed salary cap related answers, I come to your site/ HoB.

On the other hand, you are also responsible for "selling" your website and sadly customer relations is not one of your strong points. Drop the attitude, you don't need to come at me with bolded key words. I always feel that there's an aggressive undertone in most of your posts.

You need to realize that nhl#'s is out there and that they'll always get mentioned because fans and, especially, the media don't want to be associated with HockeyBuzz. If I were you, then I would be laughing my ass off about all the people who rely on your competitors site. Convince people with the quality of your site and drop the attitude. I can assure you that I will drop by HoB/ NHLS more often, if you do.

Old
04-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I think the OP's questions have been answered. There's no need to derail the thread further with debates about cap sites. People can decide for themselves which site they wish to use. Thanks.

Old
04-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Angels for Everyone

i always use nhlnumbers..

i'd prefer to be wrong than to go to that other site

Old
04-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Fourier

As Fugu said, question asked, question answered. I think we're done here.

Closed Thread