HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts suspended?? (Update: Suspended for game 6)

Old
04-26-2009, 09:43 AM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post

Good for a laugh. Sure the last two coaches we had could not fix the powerplay. Maybe it's just the personnel? Just a thought.

It won't be Tortorella that costs us this series it will be the lack of scoring this team has. It's definitely the way the team is built, not coached. Players like Gomez, Drury, Naslund, Zherdev, etc consistently put zeros up on the score sheet. What is Tortorella supposed to do, go out on the ice and score himself?

Get a grip people. This team just isn't that good and we have not outplayed the Capitals even one time in this series, not once.

I don't disagree. The post is directed at every single Tortorella lover on this board who swore this was exactly what this team needed.

He has done NOTHING to make this a better hockey club since he's been here.

NOTHING.

And while I don't argure it's the personnel that's the issue, people argued this ENTIRE SEASON about how we have all the talent in the world it's just being smothered by Tom Renney.

Right.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:26 AM
PMNEWYORK

New York Rangers needs changes top to bottom. Obviously some players need to go, others need to be acquired. Torts can go, put Shoeny in and revamp the rest of the staff.
Mostly, I want Sather out out out. He is a nothing of a GM. You never ever hear from him or see him at post-game, pre-game or news conferences. Any other team in the NHL gets statements and updates from the GM. Not here, not in MSG land. USELESS!!!
And the Rangers website is a joke....there is no news on it about Torts suspension. Nothing. It does not exist. Typical of the head in the sand useless management of Rangers and MSG. A total disgrace top to bottom. I am disgusted with this team....but I do love NY Rangers and I sincerely hope they win the Stanley Cup.

By the way, I really like Lester Young and Stan Getz not to mention Miles, Monk and Bird

PMNEWYORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:31 AM
jagrgodr

WOW torts is a moron. Bottom line, a fan got hit in the face by an object thrown by the Rangers coach. No matter how it started, a fat old lady got hit in the face for no reasons. What if she wasn't paying attention and the tip of the bottle got her right in the eye?

What i love about this is how ironic it is, on a couple of levels. Obviously the main one is torts sitting Avery for taking too many stupid penalties. The other ironic thing is grabbing voros' stick to go after the guy.

So now Schoenfeld will coach.. anyone remember this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpcb5aTnPk

Last edited by jagrgodr: 04-26-2009 at 10:37 AM.
jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
WOW torts is a moron. Bottom line, a fan got hit in the face by an object thrown by the Rangers coach. No matter how it started, a fat old lady got hit in the face for no reasons. What if she wasn't paying attention and the tip of the bottle got her right in the eye?

What i love about this is how ironic it is, on a couple of levels. Obviously the main one is torts sitting Avery for taking too many stupid penalties. The other ironic thing is grabbing voros' stick to go after the guy.

Some now Schoenfeld will coach.. anyone remember this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpcb5aTnPk
pretty much my thoughts.

oh well, schoenfeld has experience so its not as bad

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:41 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post

In the context of a game situation. Avery's actions and the possible subsequent consequences, sounds more plausible.
I see the point your trying to make Gravy. However, do you feel differently now that he has been suspended? Since his selfish actions in Game 5 will now have a direct effect on what will happen in Game 6.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:46 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Wow.

Amazing how this has degenerated into finger pointing and blame assigning.

Way to go.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Wow.

Amazing how this has degenerated into finger pointing and blame assigning.

Way to go.
This is what happens when the head coach is the craziest and most undisciplined of the bunch.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I don't disagree. The post is directed at every single Tortorella lover on this board who swore this was exactly what this team needed.

NOTHING.

And while I don't argure it's the personnel that's the issue, people argued this ENTIRE SEASON about how we have all the talent in the world it's just being smothered by Tom Renney.

Right.
Reality is somewhere inbetween.

Torts has improved the product. Debate how much, or if it's nearly enough, but they now compete at a higher level.

Renney wasn't even trying to get the most out of the players he had by his own admission. It wasn't and isn't out of the realm of the possibility that this group as more to give.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I find it hilarious how he kept talking about being discipline, and at the end of the day, he ends up being suspended.

Well I hope we can get this done today. I don't want to see a Game 7 in Washington . . .

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:

NOTHING.

Right.
Give him a season before you make a statement like that. Let him bring in his own staff and a few players that can play his system.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

Torts has improved the product. Debate how much, or if it's nearly enough, but they now compete at a higher level.

Renney wasn't even trying to get the most out of the players he had by his own admission. It wasn't and isn't out of the realm of the possibility that this group as more to give.

But this is a results business Melrose. Everyone knows that.

If this team blows a 3-1 lead in the first round after the Avery benching/Torts suspension drama will this guy be given the benefit of the doubt because he only got here a little while ago?

As far as I know, Tom Renney took the projected worse team in the NHL to the playoffs, and then to the second round the past two years.

This roster isn't going to be changed much. The salary cap tells us so.

What exactly is improving the product? Because in this series, I've seen NOTHING.

The only thing I've seen is that when Hank is at his best he's one of the best goalies in the world.

When he's not, we are a bad, bad hockey club.

Old
04-26-2009, 11:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

I think the debate is has Torts improved the product or did the additions of Antropov, Avery and Morris?

Personally, I haven't liked the way Torts has handled himself to date. Telling journalists that someone's question is stupid is classless and unnecessary these are people who are trying to do their jobs.

04-26-2009, 11:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Give him a season before you make a statement like that. Let him bring in his own staff and a few players that can play his system.
I would agree if this was a system issue. The reason for benching Avery was a sound one. But then you go and get yourself suspended for doing basically what Avery was doing (only worse)?

Can't have accountability without credibility.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:24 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think the debate is has Torts improved the product or did the additions of Antropov, Avery and Morris?

Personally, I haven't liked the way Torts has handled himself to date. Telling journalists that someone's question is stupid is classless and unnecessary these are people who are trying to do their jobs.
Personally, I ♥ everything he has done or said. Just not the Avery benchng in game 5. I ♥ that fire in him! I ♥ when he tells off reporters.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
Personally, I ♥ everything he has done or said. Just not the Avery benchng in game 5. I ♥ that fire in him! I ♥ when he tells off reporters.
Why? What is the reason to tell a reporter off? You can have fire and not be a jackass.

"Hey did you hear coach tell that reporter that his question was stupid."

"Yeah! Boy we better not take a shift off."

Come on.

I guess you're thrilled that he's suspended? Showed that FIRE!

Old
04-26-2009, 11:27 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
I would agree if this was a system issue. The reason for benching Avery was a sound one. But then you go and get yourself suspended for doing basically what Avery was doing (only worse)?

I agree with you but the previous poster that I responded to was making a statement that gave me the impression that Torts hasn't done anything yet.

I strongly believe all that was required of Torts THIS SEASON was to get them into the playoffs where we are one win (today hopefully!) from the 2nd round. I think Torts has done a wonderful job (outside the water bottle) with these players who really haven't had that much time or a pre-season to indulge in his system.

He needs a full pre-season, his own staff (which I believe will come up this off-season, I think there is a clause in the T.bay staff that if Torts gets another job they can leave to join him) and a few players he has marked to fit into his system.

The whole water bottle thing though I agree. Childish and had flashes of Mad Mike going up into the stands and that whole Pistons/Paces fiasco a few years ago. Thank God he was restrained from swinging that stick at somebody because it would have gotten REAL UGLY REAL FAST.

Old
04-26-2009, 11:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I agree with you but the previous poster that I responded to was making a statement that gave me the impression that Torts hasn't done anything yet.

I strongly believe all that was required of Torts THIS SEASON was to get them into the playoffs where we are one win (today hopefully!) from the 2nd round. I think Torts has done a wonderful job (outside the water bottle) with these players who really haven't had that much time or a pre-season to indulge in his system.

He needs a full pre-season, his own staff (which I believe will come up this off-season, I think there is a clause in the T.bay staff that if Torts gets another job they can leave to join him) and a few players he has marked to fit into his system.

The whole water bottle thing though I agree. Childish and had flashes of Mad Mike going up into the stands and that whole Pistons/Paces fiasco a few years ago. Thank God he was restrained from swinging that stick at somebody because it would have gotten REAL UGLY REAL FAST.

And I'm not ready to say that he's done something yet. He didn't take the same team that Renney had. He got three very important players that Renney didn't have.

Really don't want to turn this into a Renney v. Torts thing.

I guess my feeling is Torts acts like he's playing with house money and has had a long history of success here. And to me, he doesn't.

Old
04-26-2009, 11:30 AM
ruckus*

Quote:

This is the point though. And I've had this issue with him since he's gotten here (and before I found out he was suspended for throwing a water bottle at a fan).

This guy constantly preaches things but he doesn't practice them.

How on earth are players supposed to respect this guy and anything he says?

Everyone argues they love this about him because he has the guts to limit Zherdev and Naslund's ice time and he'll throw out Betts, Orr, and Voros for a powerplay to send a message.

But when the players see that this guy who demands things from them is a complete hypocrite does anyone think his tactics will be effective?

Zherdev's probably sitting at the end of the bench during his limited ice time and can't get fired up by it cause all he can think about is what a hypocrite his piece of garbage coach is.

The guy's a jerk, and he's full of double standards.

Old
04-26-2009, 11:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
This is the point though. And I've had this issue with him since he's gotten here (and before I found out he was suspended for throwing a water bottle at a fan).

Everyone argues they love this about him because he has the guts to limit Zherdev and Naslund's ice time and he'll throw out Betts, Orr, and Voros for a powerplay to send a message.

But when the players see that this guy who demands things from them is a complete hypocrite does anyone think his tactics will be effective?

Zherdev's probably sitting at the end of the bench during his limited ice time and can't get fired up by it cause all he can think about is what a hypocrite his piece of garbage coach is.

I just think there's been an arrogance and seemingly an anger to this guy and I just don't undersand why.

Old
04-26-2009, 11:33 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
And I'm not ready to say that he's done something yet. He didn't take the same team that Renney had. He got three very important players that Renney didn't have.

Really don't want to turn this into a Renney v. Torts thing.

I guess my feeling is Torts acts like he's playing with house money and has had a long history of success here. And to me, he doesn't.
Well if you do want to turn this into a Renney vs Torts thing, I would prefer Renney but honestly would prefer somebody completely different. Mike Keenan. Thats just me though. I don't think Keenan would have gotten this team into the playoffs though with that being said.

Renney had Avery last year and they made the 2nd round. Torts does too.
Renney had Jagr last year and they made the 2nd round. Torts has Antropov (I would prefer Jagr)

You could make a case for D.Morris but its not defense this team has a problem with its Offense so you can make a case for Shanny too then.

Anyway, lets just hope we win today.

Old
04-26-2009, 11:34 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
I just think there's been an arrogance and seemingly an anger to this guy and I just don't undersand why.

I agree. But I think finally for us being able to see him on a day to day basis is telling.

This is who he is.

I mean, is the New York hockey media misconstruing something?

I don't think they're all that tough.

What we're seeing is what this guy is, plain and simple.

Old
04-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

I agree with what you said until you brought up Zherdev, who is just a lost cause no matter the coaching situation.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Renney had Avery last year and they made the 2nd round. Torts does too.
Renney had Jagr last year and they made the 2nd round. Torts has Antropov (I would prefer Jagr)
Different seasons. A coaching move was made because of what happened this season.

Old
04-26-2009, 11:41 AM
RANGERS2448

If i was avery i would be laghing my a-- off at my coach
will it only be shoey on the bench

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:42 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I agree with what you said until you brought up Zherdev, who is just a lost cause no matter the coaching situation.
That's fine, but insert any other player's name there and it remains the same.

Would you respect someone who took things out on you and then did the exact same things?

I highly doubt it.