HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts suspended?? (Update: Suspended for game 6)

Old
04-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Our coach looked like a big hyprocrite, I can't wait for his suspension. Practice what you preach Torts. He drew attention to himself instead of taking it for the team. Go after the refs with a stick in your hand Torts when the horrible calls are made, leave the Cap fans alone.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:01 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
I'm a teacher, if a kid throws a pencil at me while I'm teaching am i excused from acting professionally?
It being a child makes the situation quite difference.

Here's a better analogy for you... you're sitting in the auditorium for your school's class play (assuming you're an elementary school teacher)... in the middle of the performance, one of the parents gets rowdy and dumps a beer/soda/juice on you because they are pissed their kid wasn't picked to be the lead, etc. (use your imagination).

In this situation, I'm quite confident you're responding in some way.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:02 PM
TomLaidlaw

Locker room before Game 6:

Torts: Alright boys remember what I have been telling you..."put the team ahead of yourself ". I benched Avery because he acted selfishly and I feel strongly about this.

Avery: Hey coach, how is throwing a water bottle at a fat lady a benefit to the team? I sense a little bit of hypocrisy here?

Torts: Next question

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post

Here's a better analogy for you... you're sitting in the auditorium for your school's class play (assuming you're an elementary school teacher)... in the middle of the performance, one of the parents gets rowdy and dumps a beer/soda/juice on you because they are pissed their kid wasn't picked to be the lead, etc. (use your imagination).

Are you really trying to defend this guy and his actions and lack of explanation of them? He failed himself and this team by his actions lastnight and should be disciplined. I'm sorry but after what he says about Avery, that he should just walk away after being punched in the face. "Sean can't let that stuff get in his head." Yeah Torts cause no one gets in your head. Avery should skate away but you can't take a little beer on your suite and even that isn't a fact yet. I am reading the beer was thrown at him after he threw the bottle.

Old
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

I dont care if somebody threw three-week old Lobster at Torts. He acted irresponsibly and could have caused serious harm.

Sorry, i cant defend Torts here. I dont care what MSG shows or what the announcers say.

He threw a water bottle that smashed a defenseless lady in the head. You have to send a message that professional athletes and coaches have to be ABOVE the average fan and maintain a little restraint. The Pistons had one of the worst fan-player brawls in recent memory because of somebody who threw beer.

All i have to say is that Torts better pony up. If I'm that lady, i am most definitely seeking some type of legal action. And if I'm that lady's son or husband, i want to beat the life out of Torts

Hate to break it to you guys, but sometimes there are more important issues to settle than a playoff series. I love the guy as a coach and the change in atmosphere but you cant defend what he did.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post

The fact is that my kids are still there, and if I go after that parent how do all of my 'don't hit people' talks look? Taking it a step further, if I do hit that parent because he deserves it, I would fully expect to either lose my job or be suspended. The Board would not excuse my actions because I was provoked, they would tell me that they expect me to behave professionally no matter what the situation is.

Everyone can be professional until they are tested, that's the measure of someone's character, how they react when they are tested. Torts gave in to frustration the same way the players he benches do.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:16 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I'm going to come to your job and dump a beer on you from behind while you are working. We will see how professional you behave.
if i'm earning millions and i'm on tv, i better behave

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:24 PM
E-Mac

He racka disciprine?

/got nothin'

E-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:27 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
The fact is that my kids are still there, and if I go after that parent how do all of my 'don't hit people' talks look? Taking it a step further, if I do hit that parent because he deserves it, I would fully expect to either lose my job or be suspended. The Board would not excuse my actions because I was provoked, they would tell me that they expect me to behave professionally no matter what the situation is.

Everyone can be professional until they are tested, that's the measure of someone's character, how they react when they are tested. Torts gave in to frustration the same way the players he benches do.
Of course you would lose your job or be suspended. The parent would also be arrested. You could also file a civil suit.

So, yes, fine Tortorella, suspend Tortorella. Go right ahead, NHL. But, understand by allowing and ENCOURAGING this type of "fan" behavior, you're acting like a bunch of hypocrites.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:39 PM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
Of course you would lose your job or be suspended. The parent would also be arrested. You could also file a civil suit.

So, yes, fine Tortorella, suspend Tortorella. Go right ahead, NHL. But, understand by allowing and ENCOURAGING this type of "fan" behavior, you're acting like a bunch of hypocrites.
I completely agree with this post. Fans like these are a disgrace, just like the one in that video throwing beer at Carter.

When did it become acceptable to substitute passion for idiocy and animalistic behavior?

Old
04-25-2009, 04:02 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post

This scenario is getting pretty funny. All out school auditorium brawl.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

You all wanted accountability, and you got it. Accountability on steroids, in fact. And it applies to everyone but the head coach himself.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Bettman suspends him.

Remember, this is the new touchy feelie NHL Bettman has constructed.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King of cool
The winning hat

From Andrew Gross.

Quote:
John Tortorella said he'll be coaching tomorrow in Game 6 and he added he hadn't heard anything regarding suspensions for either Aaron Voros or Colton Orr so he expects nothing's coming that way, either. However, that's not official from the league offices so things could change later today.

But pressed for further comment regarding last night's ugly confrontation with a Capitals' fan, Tortorella said he's been told not to talk about that situation by his boss. Now, "boss" could be one of several people - NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, Garden Chairman Jim Dolan or GM Glen Sather. Or possibly the MSG legal department. Here's one reporter's take on the situation (actually discussed in the press room). Tortorella's not being suspended but there may be legal issues down the road if Tortorella did indeed hit somebody by hurling a water bottle into the crowd so the NHL/MSG does not want Tortorella making any public comments that could be used against them later, regardless of what prompted that situation.

Got an e-mail today from a reader who said he was in the stands near that situation. According to the reader (and, remember, none of this is confirmed, verified, etc.), the whole thing was started by a Capitals fan who was cursing at Tortorella through the glass, including personal stuff about Tortorella's family. Tortorella, according to the e-mail, asked security to watch the heckler but, during a stoppage, the fan got some liquid on Tortorella through a separation in the glass. That's when Tortorella lost it and squirted liquid back and later threw a water bottle into the stands.
http://njmg.typepad.com/rangersblog/...spensions.html

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Radek27

Quote:

NFL fans throw snow balls.

Soccer fans throw flaming bottles and fists.

We throw beer.

In a plastic cup (which this case it was) I think ours does the least damage.

Old
04-25-2009, 04:34 PM
oliverl97

Isin't it ironic that he took voros's stick?

oliverl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 04:41 PM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
NFL fans throw snow balls.

Soccer fans throw flaming bottles and fists.

We throw beer.

In a plastic cup (which this case it was) I think ours does the least damage.
Just for clarification purposes, are you merely stating what others do, or are you defending NHL fans/other fans because of the relative damage?

Old
04-25-2009, 04:49 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

i love johnny torts..and i think hes a huge part of why we will win on sunday ...but this is inexcusable, im sorry

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 04:54 PM
truebluegoalie

[QUOTE=NCRanger;19276438
But, understand by allowing and ENCOURAGING this type of "fan" behavior, you're acting like a bunch of hypocrites.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
Verizon security did nothing to prevent it and allowed it to continue after torts mentioned it to them and it was certainly inspired by some of the crap they put up on the scoreboard.
As I said earlier, if you are a caps fan in that building you can do pretty much whatever you want.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Locker room before Game 6:

Torts: Alright boys remember what I have been telling you..."put the team ahead of yourself ". I benched Avery because he acted selfishly and I feel strongly about this.

Avery: Hey coach, how is throwing a water bottle at a fat lady a benefit to the team? I sense a little bit of hypocrisy here?

Torts: Next question
hahaha

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverl97 View Post
Isin't it ironic that he took voros's stick?
LOL!

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 05:10 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Agreed.
Verizon security did nothing to prevent it and allowed it to continue after torts mentioned it to them and it was certainly inspired by some of the crap they put up on the scoreboard.
As I said earlier, if you are a caps fan in that building you can do pretty much whatever you want.
Thank you for backing me up on this. The reason I mention this kind of stuff is because before I moved to Charlotte, I lived in the Raleigh area and was a season ticket holder for the Carolina Hurricanes. The Hurricanes always had silliness on their jumbotron, but it wasn't so awful that it detracted from the game. Once they went on their first run in 2002, and then especially after their run in 2006, the atmosphere changed dramatically inside the RBC Center.

Before they got "good", most of their fanbase were relocated fans of other teams. I went to games with fellow Ranger fans, Bruin fans, Flyer fans, Sabre fans, Wings fans, etc. We all pulled for our first teams, but were Canes fans the rest of the time. And we had FUN with it! We all enjoyed the 2002 run as much as full Canes fans. Then, they decided to raise ticket prices, dramatically. They ran off a lot of us. What replaced us were people with "money" that went to the games to be seen. The game experience changed from actual hockey talk in the crowd to cell phone chatting wannabees. Sure, they have some great local fans, but 35%-50% of their crowd are posers, AND they market toward the posers. They've all but run off the relocated hockey fans. They know this, and market the games negatively towards opponents.

I still kind of pull for them, but being 150 miles away in Charlotte, and being a Ranger fan by birth, really puts my Canes fandom second. It will be interesting when my 11-month old daughter starts actually watching games with me to see if she likes the sport and who she'll like. She already has a Rangers and a Canes jersey.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 05:10 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
This thread has all kinds of amusing opinions.

Bottom line is that Tortorella is the coach of this team until someone says otherwise. He should focus on getting the team prepared for tomorrow while we all sit here and whine about flying water bottles and plastic cups of beer.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 05:12 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

yea, the Verizon Center is certainly responsible. Tortorella has enough to worry and think about while he's working. He should not have to worry about what is coming at him from the stands, and what ticks me off even more about how this was handled is what if it wasn't beer?? What if it was glass, or a hockey puck or something that can cause a bad injury. I think that's what really got Tortorella pissed off. Why should he even be put in a position to take matters into his own hands?

Does Tortorella have to work as a security guard and the coach of the NY Rangers simultaneously?? If that's the case he should be paid as the coach, and on some nights, a security guard as well. Why aren't we talking about this fan who had so much class as to find it extremely necessary to pour beer on someone who is in a completely vulnerable position because of the idiots in charge of hosting a playoff game. If I'm Tortorella, I'm thinking, "well these intellects are throwing beer on me, while my back is turned, what may come flying at me next?" Or, "what about one of my coaches or players?"

Ovechkin is making 9 mil a year. I think he would be living fairly comfortably if he was making 8 million a year. If the owner of the Caps is running low on cash, take it out of his pocket.

The NHL, and the Caps owner are too blame. Who should really be embarrassed? Them? I'll bet all of the coaches, including even the Caps head coach, agrees that "Torts" shouldn't have had to deal with this.

That's why whoever thinks "Torts" should be suspended. Don't be surprised if he's not. And if he is, it might be a carry over to the beginning of next season. He'll probably be fined, sure. But the league knows he shouldn't have to coach and worry about defending himself as well.
Keep the beer in your bottle or drink it. Simple. If people aren't mature enough to come to a game without acting like complete morons, don't come.

Should Tortorella have thrown a water bottle in the stands? No. That was wrong, and he should pay for whatever injuries he may have caused? Buy the lady a box of Tylenol or something for the headache.
Tortorella should have handled this in a different way, no question.

Being that everyone is talking about the Avery incident as well, think back to your years as Rangers fans. Has there ever been a dumber penalty or set of penalties taken than the ones that Sean took at the end of game 4. How in the world was he thinking about the team, taking those types of penalties, and at that particular time in the game. A playoff game. The Caps give us enough problems offensively. We were hanging on. You don't need to punch an opposing player in the face because he beat you to the puck and and an icing was called. I don't see how that helps the team.

And the second penalty was even worse. You would think Avery had learned his lesson and possibly think about the team and winning a very important game. I guess it wasn't that important to Avery. This time, instead of using his fist as a weapon, he uses a hockey stick. I thought he would get more than 2 minutes.

Luckily the Caps didn't score a couple of goals and we weren't eliminated. Now, has anyone seen 2 irresponsible and idiotic penalties by any Ranger at that point of a Rangers playoff game?? You might have to think very hard. Well that's why he was benched for a game. The magnitude of the penalties could have been that drastic. And I'm sure Tortorella was setting a precedent with the subsequent benching. He probably doesn't ever want to see that again, from any of his players.

What Tortorella did was wrong and he should be embarrassed for the way he handled it. But at the same time, should Avery be rewarded for taking such selfish penalties? To me they were the most selfish penalties I've seen and if he takes them tomorrow, we're done. It doesn't matter who's coaching the team. There's only so many times your team can bail you out. At some point Avery has to think about the team first because when it comes down to it. We need Avery to have a great game tomorrow and help this team win. He's a lot more important in tomorrow's game than Tortorella can be at this point.

That's why this water bottle incident doesn't worry me. I think I know where Tortorella's heart is. But I'm worried about where Avery's might be. And we need him tomorrow big time, if we're going to advance.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 05:25 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

The last 2 posts are spot on, nothing else matters.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote