HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great Steve Bégin article on RDS.ca

Old
04-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Hermamoud

vCash: 500
Great Steve Bégin article on RDS.ca

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/273561.html

Reading that article made me remember why Steve Bégin was so loved by the fans. What a great guy. Too bad his injuries really took a toll on him.

For people who can't read French, the most notable part is that Bégin decided to go to the Bell Center after the Canadiens got eliminated, and everybody in the locker room was really happy to see him. It was as if he never left the team. He was even invited to go to a team party and Dandy's house the night of the elimination and to the last team dinner the next evening.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:59 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/273561.html

Reading that article made me remember why Steve Bégin was so loved by the fans. What a great guy. Too bad his injuries really took a toll on him.

For people who can't read French, the most notable part is that Bégin decided to go to the Bell Center after the Canadiens got eliminated, and everybody in the locker room was really happy to see him. It was as if he never left the team. He was even invited to go to a team party and Dandy's house the night of the elimination and to the last team dinner the next evening.

Carbo didn't want to play him so Gainey gracefully traded him where he would play. He would have been an asset against the Bruins.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Maximus Taylor

the guy really loved it here.

too bad it had to end.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BeBen*

I would resign him.

Without thinking about it.

(That is if the new coach wants to play him and not be like Carbo)

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Carbo didn't want to play him so Gainey gracefully traded him where he would play. He would have been an asset against the Bruins.
until he got a penalty and everybody got on his case.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:23 PM
CanadienErrant*

He was on L'Antichambre" yesterday night. Once again, he said that Carbo was never talking to him, and even when he was playing his best hockey, he did not understand ewhy he was put in the stands.

The guy is a UFA, and I will bring him back to Montreal.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
I would resign him.
Kosto should be re-signed before. As much as Begin is a good guy and loves it here, he's pretty much done and takes stupid penalties.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Hermamoud

I feel like he was a great guy in the locker room, but his play on the ice has regressed as the years passed. He was an absolute beast in 2005-2006, but he did take costly and stupid penalties (Toronto and Philadelphia).

Is it a coincidence, or every time we talk about a player being "the next captain", that player slowly regresses (Bégin, Higgins and Komisarek).

Old
04-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Habarazzi

Quote:
I feel like he was a great guy in the locker room, but his play on the ice has regressed as the years passed. He was an absolute beast in 2005-2006, but he did take costly and stupid penalties (Toronto and Philadelphia).

Is it a coincidence, or every time we talk about a player being "the next captain", that player slowly regresses (Bégin, Higgins and Komisarek).

What the heck dos that mean?
The Kostitsyns. Koivu, Kovalev etc .... all have taken stupid penalties but you guys still bend over backwards with excuses for them ...

but the hard working guy with all the heart in the world, you just want to toss him to the curb..... but these are EXACTLY the kind of guys you win with in the playoffs.

Habarazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 07:52 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
The Kostitsyns. Koivu, Kovalev etc .... all have taken stupid penalties but you guys still bend over backwards with excuses for them ...

but the hard working guy with all the heart in the world, you just want to toss him to the curb..... but these are EXACTLY the kind of guys you win with in the playoffs.
I think what he means is that those penalties cost us elimination twice. No stupid penalty is excusable, it was just the circumstance and timing of his penalties.

Anyway, I'd bring him back here, but only if he realized he wouldn't play everyday. I'm not a fan of benching young players each night (like with did with D'Agostini down the stretch), so I'd like to have two guys like Laraque and Begin, who can play, but don't need to play every game.

I wouldn't even mind bringing back Dandenault as a spare forward/defenseman, so long as he didn't care if he played every night.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 08:34 PM
#2eddieshore

i would love to see this guy back in a Habs jersey.

the team is low on effort and determination and this is exactly what this guy brings to a team.

100% coeur.

Last edited by #2eddieshore: 04-26-2009 at 12:40 AM.
#2eddieshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post

I never said otherwise, but I just relied on my memory, and Bégin's were the most costly and untimely in my opinion. Remember his brutal 4 minute high stick on Wellwood at the siren at the end of the 2nd period? That sparked the Leafs to life and they scored 3 goals in the 3rd (if I remember well).

And in game 3 (I think) against Philly, the Canadiens finally managed to tie the game, and Bégin gets an unnecessary interference penalty, and Brière scored the game winner.

I never doubted his heart, his intensity or his commitment, but I just think that his play has seriously regressed (was it a confidence issue? injuries? Carbo's communication? We'll never know).

Old
04-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
He should retire already.

And them we should hire him as a motivator.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 09:06 PM
superstar436

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
He was on L'Antichambre" yesterday night. Once again, he said that Carbo was never talking to him, and even when he was playing his best hockey, he did not understand ewhy he was put in the stands.

The guy is a UFA, and I will bring him back to Montreal.
on ckac he said that he never understood what was wanted from him when carbo was the coach.

Guillaume also said that in december

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 09:21 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
as much as I like the guy, he wouldnt have changed anything..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Habs

Lots of players are still really liked by people on this team, doesn't mean they have to play here.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:47 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Kosto should be re-signed before. As much as Begin is a good guy and loves it here, he's pretty much done and takes stupid penalties.
Agreed, not worth taking up a roster spot.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Begin has been awful since 2005.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 12:14 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Begin has been awful since 2005.
Agreed but maybe you should look into your avatar for another example of decline

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Agreed but maybe you should look into your avatar for another example of decline
now if Montreal could only find more "declining" players still consistently putting up around a .8 PPG

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 12:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Remember his brutal 4 minute high stick on Wellwood at the siren at the end of the 2nd period?
Wasn't that high stick totally accidental and if so how was that a stupid penalty? As if he had planned it and decided to knock Wellwood's teeth off. That's unfortunate but stupid? But hey, let's not talk about the tripping minor that Koivu took while Bégin was in the penalty box, that was surely not stupid....That would be more like all the penalties that we took because we were lazy just after we started the games against Boston and we had the momentum. See, this is not exactly in the 3rd and towards the end of game, but just as stupid and just as game changing.

A stupid penalty is a penalty of hooking, tripping or holding 'cause you're just lazy and don't feel like moving your feet. A stupid penalty is a penalty of roughing 'cause you just want a revenge against somebody and you don't think of your team. But unless you don't aim for a guy's head or you don't slash a guy's stick knowing full well that it will break and you'll end up getting 2 min., chances are those penalties are more unfortunate than anything.

This guy would have killed himself for that team but hey let's ditch him, he took 2 bad penalties.....In a time when we're looking who really cares for this team, I will take him back. But in the same kind of mold, I will take Laperrière a whole lot more...

Last edited by Whitesnake: 04-26-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Koivu may be on the decline, but he's far from awful...

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wasn't that high stick totally accidental and if so how was that a stupid penalty?

This guy would have killed himself for that team but hey let's ditch him, he took 2 bad penalties.....In a time when we're looking who really cares for this team, I will take him back. But in the same kind of mold, I will take Laperrière a whole lot more...
If I remember correctly, he tried to bat the puck in the air but around the same time / after the siren. It was probably an instinct move, but I got so frustrated at the play, especially knowing that the Leafs always seem to have the league's #1 power play against the Habs.

It was more stupid in the timing, with the siren sounding, the high stick, and the fact that the Leafs would get back in the game with a full 2 minute 5 on 3.

Unless your post was generalized and not directed at me only, I never said that I'd ditch him for that. I never questioned his courage or his commitment, but his contribution to the team has regressed, and I'm not sure that it would be a good thing for both parties if he came back. He'd probably have a 13th forward role, which is clearly not what he wants.

Didn't Laperrière say that he wanted to join the Habs when he was a UFA a few years ago? What happened at that time?

Old
04-26-2009, 05:59 AM
Pascal

Quote:
He was even invited to go to a team party and Dandy's house the night of the elimination
hmmm...

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 07:59 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Ya ok, maybe a little offensively but brings a hell of a lot more than that. At this point Begin brings what...a little energy from time to time? Anything else?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote