HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Great Steve Bégin article on RDS.ca

Old
04-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Capitano

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wasn't that high stick totally accidental and if so how was that a stupid penalty? As if he had planned it and decided to knock Wellwood's teeth off. That's unfortunate but stupid? But hey, let's not talk about the tripping minor that Koivu took while Bégin was in the penalty box, that was surely not stupid....That would be more like all the penalties that we took because we were lazy just after we started the games against Boston and we had the momentum. See, this is not exactly in the 3rd and towards the end of game, but just as stupid and just as game changing.

A stupid penalty is a penalty of hooking, tripping or holding 'cause you're just lazy and don't feel like moving your feet. A stupid penalty is a penalty of roughing 'cause you just want a revenge against somebody and you don't think of your team. But unless you don't aim for a guy's head or you don't slash a guy's stick knowing full well that it will break and you'll end up getting 2 min., chances are those penalties are more unfortunate than anything.

This guy would have killed himself for that team but hey let's ditch him, he took 2 bad penalties.....In a time when we're looking who really cares for this team, I will take him back. But in the same kind of mold, I will take Laperrière a whole lot more...
I love Begin, but it was a stupid penalty in the dying seconds of a period in the offensive zone when we were already up by 2. But that's the tradeoff with a guy like Begin - he wasn't a cerebral player, he was a heart and soul player with more guts than anybody I have seen wearing the CH in a long-time, so you have to take the good with the bad.

And as for next year, we NEED to improve our team toughness and size in our bottom 6 - there are better options out there for us, but I would take him back as plan C or D.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 08:39 AM

love Begin...but with Stewart and even the possibility of re-signing Kostopoulos, why bring him back?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
love Begin...but with Stewart and even the possibility of re-signing Kostopoulos, why bring him back?
Kosto is a great guy, and during the year I figured it was a given to re-sign him, but he's not mean enough imo. Begin has that unpredictable nature where he can do some "damage" sometimes - I can think of 4 or 5 examples over Begin's stay in Montreal where he made a big impact on a game or series.

Hitting PJ Axelsson in the playoffs

Hitting Marc Savard at the end of the regular season

Running over Di Pietro

A constant thorn in Chara's side

I can think of more, but those are the ones that stick out for me...anyway, I still think there are better options than either Kosto OR Begin.

Old
04-26-2009, 08:48 AM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
What the heck dos that mean?
The Kostitsyns. Koivu, Kovalev etc .... all have taken stupid penalties but you guys still bend over backwards with excuses for them ...

but the hard working guy with all the heart in the world, you just want to toss him to the curb..... but these are EXACTLY the kind of guys you win with in the playoffs.
The Kostitsyns, Koivu, and Kovalev all have talent, something that Steve Begin lacks. Begin may love Montreal and be a great guy, however, his days of having any use as a player are done. I would much rather the Habs use a roster spot for a young guy "energy guy" like Greg Stewart, or someone who will represent an upgrade in talent and/or toughness, than Steve Begin.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Kosto is a great guy, and during the year I figured it was a given to re-sign him, but he's not mean enough imo. Begin has that unpredictable nature where he can do some "damage" sometimes - I can think of 4 or 5 examples over Begin's stay in Montreal where he made a big impact on a game or series.

Running over Di Pietro

I can think of more, but those are the ones that stick out for me...anyway, I still think there are better options than either Kosto OR Begin.
If Begin was able to contribute in more areas than just being a pest...I would consider it.

Old
04-26-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
The Kostitsyns, Koivu, and Kovalev all have talent, something that Steve Begin lacks. Begin may love Montreal and be a great guy, however, his days of having any use as a player are done. I would much rather the Habs use a roster spot for a young guy "energy guy" like Greg Stewart, or someone who will represent an upgrade in talent and/or toughness, than Steve Begin.
My thoughts exactly...

Old
04-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Rickkins

Always liked Steve, and admired his grit.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Capitano

Quote:
If Begin was able to contribute in more areas than just being a pest...I would consider it.
I agree, there are better options out there.

Old
04-26-2009, 09:16 AM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
Always liked Steve, and admired his grit.
I always liked Chris Nilan and admired his grit, however, I do not want to see Chris Nilan playing for the 2009-10 Montreal Canadiens.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 09:29 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
I always liked Chris Nilan and admired his grit, however, I do not want to see Chris Nilan playing for the 2009-10 Montreal Canadiens.
You're right ! He is way too old. Must be near 50 now !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Rickkins

Quote:
Ha!!
If we could put the Nilan of old back into the line-up, I would in a heartbeat. Good old "never back down Knuckles Nilan"....

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
hmmm...
Yes, they were celebrating losing, since they didn't want to play anymore hockey.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Well yeah, if Begin could put up 30 points every year I think every team would want him

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post

Running over Di Pietro

that was generally the old Begin not the current one.

Begin hasn't been a pest nor physical for over two years now.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:24 AM
habdynasty

hope you enjoy retirment Steveeee ,

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 01:08 PM
C4KOMI

this is what Begin was doing when Montreal was losing 4-1

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Well yeah, if Begin could put up 30 points every year I think every team would want him
I always had this joke with my friends that Begin could play without a stick and no one would notice. No offense to him, he's got a heart as big as the Bell Centre, but his ability as a hockey player is very, very limited

Old
04-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4KOMI View Post

this is what Begin was doing when Montreal was losing 4-1
Because Begin would have made us win?
Where are the Dallas Stars right now?

It seems that Begin lost his spot to Metropolit and/or Stewart.
Those two are upgrades over Bégin IMO.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote