HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You be the owner/GM

View Poll Results: Which of these should the Flyers do in the offseason
Fire Holmgren 9 5.11%
Fire Stevens 116 65.91%
Fire other coaches 37 21.02%
Trade Lupul 130 73.86%
Trade Jones 132 75.00%
Trade Carle 46 26.14%
Trade Gagne 13 7.39%
Trade Hartnell 8 4.55%
Sign/Trade for a 1st line D 58 32.95%
Sign/Trade for depth D 65 36.93%
Resign Biron 53 30.11%
Resign Nittymaki 21 11.93%
Sign/Trade for a #1 goalie 107 60.80%
Start JVR on the Phantoms 98 55.68%
No moves at all 3 1.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-26-2009, 01:19 AM
UseYourAllusion

vCash: 500
For my money: fire stevens, trade lupul and jones, bring in a real first pairing D-man, resign Biron if the price is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
At best, youll get GirouxIsThor
Loki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah honestly, which is harder.

A) Trading for Roberto Luongo or someone of his ilk (Lundqvist, etc.).

OR

B) Finding a coach who can teach people how to play D and a competent 3rd pairing d-man.
"A", by a wide margin.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 01:32 AM
TheTaekster

honestly, just get randy jones the **** outta here

TheTaekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 02:25 AM
Joey Mac

i'd say bye bye to stevens, trade lupul, jones, and carle, trade for d and #1 goalie, start jvr on the phatoms... stevens showed in the last game that he can't coach this team to beat the pens and with a first round exit it doesn't help his case any... a lot of coaches could've taken this team with their depth and made the playoffs, but he didn't take them very far... lupul, jones, and carle were all invisible (even though carle got a ton of ice time) and will make a good amount of money next year which we don't need... jvr has to go thru the samething giroux did with being with the phantoms for at least half a season to show he's up to par with the pro talent... there's not many options for a goalie out there so if you can't get anything biron is the only logical choice, but it doesn't hurt to attempt to acquire somebody ala cory schneider... holmgren has done a great job of rebuilding this team, but has given out bad deals and made some bad trades when he acquired carle so he's gonna have to make up for it with this upcoming offseason

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 02:36 AM
freakydallas13

things that need to be done

- demote stevens to assistant, get rid of berube and bring in a real head coach

- trade jones, his salary is not what he is worth

- trade lupul, same as jones

- let jvr play at least half a year on the phantoms

- either one of the d men in the system steps up to fill jones spot, or sign someone in the offseason

- entertain the idea of trading breire, his salary could be used elsewhere

- sign/trade a #1 goalie, possibly a back as well up if nitty is hurt or they aren't comfortable with munroe

- resign knuble at a decent price, otherwise let him walk

lines look like this

gagne - richards - knuble
giroux - carter - hartnell
someone - powe - someone
asham - ross - carcillo

timmonen - parent
coburn - carle
someone - alberts

someone
someone/nitty

3rd line can be a checking/cycle line, possibly some people in the offseason

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 02:41 AM
Norm MacDonald

A lot of these are conditional, so it's hard to just vote "yes" or "no"

Fire Holmgren - Nah... he is still learning and I'm not ready to give up on him yet. That would just be a lateral move.
Fire Stevens - Definitely
Fire other coaches - More of something that the normal fan doesn't have insight in. I'll say no, unless the incoming coach would rather start from scratch
Trade Lupul - Yes
Trade Jones - Yes
Trade Carle - Yes
Trade Gagne - No
Trade Hartnell - No
Sign/Trade for a 1st line D - If the price is right, sure. If not...
Sign/Trade for depth D - Yes (more likely)
Resign Biron - As long as he doesn't want a raise or a long-term deal.
Resign Nittymaki - If Biron leaves, yes. If he doesn't, no (unless the following doesnt happen...)
Sign/Trade for a #1 goalie - The Flyers don't have the cap room to sign a #1 goalie, and teams are not likely to trade theirs. Trade for a promising, young #2 that can potentially earn the starting position at years end (like Harding or Pavelec).
Start JVR on the Phantoms - Depends how he does in training camp. If the coach really thinks he should be in the NHL, then keep him there. However, I would prefer to start him in the minors and ease him into the pro game, like they did with Giroux.

I'll also add:
Re-sign Alberts - Yes, provided he doesn't demand a raise.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 02:46 AM
qwertysac

I picked

Trade Jones, Sign a #1 Dman, Try and sign a #1 goalie if possible, and start jvr with phantoms.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 04:52 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

The only two that clearly stand out are signing/trading for a depth defenseman (preferably one that's physical) and starting JVR with the Phantoms (or whatever they become next season).

I also picked re-signing Biron because, as I've noted on a few occasions, I believe he's the best option the Flyers have under the current salary cap calamity they have going at the moment.

I also would have voted to re-sign Knuble if that had been an option. Losing him will hurt this team more than most people realize.

A bonus that could happen this off-season would be moving salary out. I like Briere; he just may be too expensive for what he can bring to this team going forward. If he's amenable to a move, it should be explored (though I should note that I think it's bad practice to approach a player whom you've granted a no-trade or no-movement clause; they should have to approach you). Lupul, Carle, Jones, Alberts and Nitty could all find different homes as well and I wouldn't be too upset, though none are necessary if Briere's large cap hit is removed. I foresee problems in trading away salary, though, because it's not exactly a secret that the Flyers have completely mis-managed their salary cap.

Firing Stevens or Holmgren this summer is unnecessary. Adding staff that can help with the breakout and with faceoffs is paramount, however. Two full seasons have passed with virtually no improvement in two of the most important aspects of hockey. This must be addressed.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 05:22 AM
chaosof99*

Fire Stevens and replace him with a good coach.
Trade Lupul and Jones.
Get Luca Sbisa a nutritian.
Get Carter a motivational trainer.
Sign a good goaltender (man, I wish we had picked up Khabibulin on waivers. Wasn't there some deal where it would only be half salary)

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 07:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Why isnt "sign Peter Forsberg" an option?
Because it isn't an option.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 08:11 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 553
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Now that I'm looking at it, there's alot of work to be done this offseason.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 08:54 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'm not really a fan of the team of Stevens and Berube.
Stevens looks like a wet noodle. Who shows no emotion.
Berube, looks like a used car salesmen, who reeks of cheap cologne.

I would love if Stevens is fired. However I'm just keeping it real, and i'm just saying Stevens will be here at least one more year. I think our GM, thinks too highly of Stevens.

We might as well throw Hatcher behind the bench and make him out assistant coach.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 08:56 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i'd love to deal jones and lupul (and briere if homer can manage it). stevens should be replaced (maybe paddock from the phantoms should be given a shot? he did ok in ottawa for a while, though he was fired so i dunno). maybe find some way to return upshall

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 09:02 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

What was Paddock like in Ott. I don't really recall him there.

Old
04-26-2009, 09:07 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Mac View Post
i'd say bye bye to stevens, trade lupul, jones, and carle, trade for d and #1 goalie, start jvr on the phatoms... stevens showed in the last game that he can't coach this team to beat the pens and with a first round exit it doesn't help his case any... a lot of coaches could've taken this team with their depth and made the playoffs, but he didn't take them very far... lupul, jones, and carle were all invisible (even though carle got a ton of ice time) and will make a good amount of money next year which we don't need... jvr has to go thru the samething giroux did with being with the phantoms for at least half a season to show he's up to par with the pro talent... there's not many options for a goalie out there so if you can't get anything biron is the only logical choice, but it doesn't hurt to attempt to acquire somebody ala cory schneider... holmgren has done a great job of rebuilding this team, but has given out bad deals and made some bad trades when he acquired carle so he's gonna have to make up for it with this upcoming offseason
Carle isn't going anywhere. He played better than Timonen and Coburn during the playoffs, and Stevens loves him.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 09:26 AM
PRB

I'd love to know where a world classs young goaltender can come from? On that basis I don't think Biron is that bad and adding more depth in defence will help us as much. Chris Osgood can win stanley cups with the right defence in front of him and lets face it. Biron didn't lose the series on us, he gave us plenty of chances to win.

I'm amazed that so many people are voting against Stevens!! Certainly not a wise move to shake things up behind the bench again!!!

Ideally I'd cut cap space by trying to find a taker for Briere if he would waive his NTC, moving Lupul and Carle if we could get space for a Bouwmeester or a Pronger.

Securing depth on D is key because going forward our goal scoring record proved their is no serious problems there.

PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Lab Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I'd love to know where a world classs young goaltender can come from? On that basis I don't think Biron is that bad and adding more depth in defence will help us as much. Chris Osgood can win stanley cups with the right defence in front of him and lets face it. Biron didn't lose the series on us, he gave us plenty of chances to win.

I'm amazed that so many people are voting against Stevens!! Certainly not a wise move to shake things up behind the bench again!!!

Ideally I'd cut cap space by trying to find a taker for Briere if he would waive his NTC, moving Lupul and Carle if we could get space for a Bouwmeester or a Pronger.

Securing depth on D is key because going forward our goal scoring record proved their is no serious problems there.
Pronger + Anti Flyers NHL = Suspended 82 games next season

While I like the grit Pronger plays with, that mother ****er is a dirty player and would be getting suspended left right and center on this team. Anywhere else and his **** doesn't stink but in Philly... the NHL would smell it from miles away.

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Lab Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
What was Paddock like in Ott. I don't really recall him there.
He wasn't too bad but his team folded under him and just tuned him out after about 20 games. Hes not commanding enough to run the Flyers.

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 09:39 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
He wasn't too bad but his team folded under him and just tuned him out after about 20 games. Hes not commanding enough to run the Flyers.
Thanks for the input. It's hard to follow teams out of market for me.

Old
04-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
Pronger + Anti Flyers NHL = Suspended 82 games next season

While I like the grit Pronger plays with, that mother ****er is a dirty player and would be getting suspended left right and center on this team. Anywhere else and his **** doesn't stink but in Philly... the NHL would smell it from miles away.

Anaheim really isn't a White Knight in the NHL.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 09:49 AM
TheKingPin

I think that Jones is a huge weak link. He looked lost on several plays/goal over the series esp. yesterday. He HAS to be traded.

Lupul would be traded for no other reason than we have Briere and Giroux on the third line. The fact that he is not clutch and needs perfect passes most of the time, plus has contract means he is out.

I think we are going to trade for Kari. He has the same salary as Lupul and ATL had scouts at our last reg season game. I know he has struggled, but hasnt been on the best team...

As far as the D, we dont need a JBo guy signed long term. It would make us better, but thats another huge contract. But, with a trade of Briere and Jones we could turn- what ever we get from them in the trade plus the money we sign JBo with.

But yea overall a HUGE thing thats going to allow us to get better this offseason is Briere's contract. If we can move him to the Habs or Bjs we can get a decent return plus we arnt playing a third liner 6.5, its a waste.

I mean (roughly) Briere + Lupul + Jones + Marty= 17 million. Thats is a TON of money that we can turn into a some big moves. I wouldnt rule out getting Luongo if we get rid of Briere....

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Brophy

Theres alot of work to be done.

Alberts, Knuble re sign
Get Sbisa/JVR NHL ready during the summer
Parent goes fulltime
Trade Lupul, Jones for scraps even
Stevens maybe can him
Homer is a good GM imo.
Coburn needs to turn mean. When he gets nasty, he dominates and drowns people.
Go into next season with a gameplan and a systematic aggression rather than just winging it.

Pronger please!!

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Orange and Black

Pronger would be awesome. He's my favorite non-Flyer because of that nasty streak. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Orange and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Pronger would not work here. I'm tired of the guys with reputations for getting penalties and suspensions.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'm tired of the guys with reputations for getting penalties and suspensions.
You and me both. The only benefit to him would be that he isn't signed long term, but at that point, why just bring in another guy for only a season?

No thanks.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I think that Jones is a huge weak link. He looked lost on several plays/goal over the series esp. yesterday. He HAS to be traded.

Lupul would be traded for no other reason than we have Briere and Giroux on the third line. The fact that he is not clutch and needs perfect passes most of the time, plus has contract means he is out.

I think we are going to trade for Kari. He has the same salary as Lupul and ATL had scouts at our last reg season game. I know he has struggled, but hasnt been on the best team...

As far as the D, we dont need a JBo guy signed long term. It would make us better, but thats another huge contract. But, with a trade of Briere and Jones we could turn- what ever we get from them in the trade plus the money we sign JBo with.

But yea overall a HUGE thing thats going to allow us to get better this offseason is Briere's contract. If we can move him to the Habs or Bjs we can get a decent return plus we arnt playing a third liner 6.5, its a waste.

I mean (roughly) Briere + Lupul + Jones + Marty= 17 million. Thats is a TON of money that we can turn into a some big moves. I wouldnt rule out getting Luongo if we get rid of Briere....
I think we'll find out Jones was/is hurt. Having said that, he does make way too much money to play in the 5th/6th spot.

If Luongo leaves the Canucks, he'll sign in Detroit. Book it!

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote