HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

if we don't get 1st overall....

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Potter

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Potter
if we don't get 1st overall....

should sather draft the best defensemen and keep building a strong corps of young d-men (namely Rachnuk, Konitenev, and Tyutin)? if he really thinks lundqvist is #1 stuff should he build this team from the goal out?

Old
03-18-2004, 06:10 PM
in the hall

there is probably only one defenseman that warrents being picked as high as we'll be and he won't be around past the top 5... i say draft the best player available

i have read that this draft plateaus after the top 20... there is a huge gap from there and most of the next tier players are ideally third round caliber type picks... not very encouraging considering the amount of picks we have in the second round....

Old
03-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
should sather draft the best defensemen and keep building a strong corps of young d-men (namely Rachnuk, Konitenev, and Tyutin)? if he really thinks lundqvist is #1 stuff should he build this team from the goal out?
If they have the 4th, 5th or 6th pick - I would rather go offensive (Need some offense here - a nice hardnosed wing or center).

Old
03-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Burberry Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
And where is Blackburn going? I dont understand why people just forget about him. He still is our goalie of the future.

Old
03-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding blue
And where is Blackburn going? I dont understand why people just forget about him. He still is our goalie of the future.
Terrific.... When was the last time he's played?

Old
03-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
If they have the 4th, 5th or 6th pick - I would rather go offensive (Need some offense here - a nice hardnosed wing or center).
We need everything..... best available player IMO.

Old
03-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
We need everything..... best available player IMO.

The Rangers have the potential for a good young defense to build around. They could use a banger back there - but I would go after a tough winger with a scoring touch.

Defenseman (Especially bangers) are rarely the guys that you expect them to be....

Old
03-19-2004, 02:48 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
The Rangers have the potential for a good young defense to build around. They could use a banger back there - but I would go after a tough winger with a scoring touch.

Defenseman (Especially bangers) are rarely the guys that you expect them to be....
tough winger with a scoring touch eh?

nah, its too easy for me to say something. =)

Old
03-19-2004, 02:57 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
tough winger with a scoring touch eh?

nah, its too easy for me to say something. =)
RESIST THE URGE!!

Why don't you start a fan club?

Old
03-19-2004, 03:02 AM
Edge

I'll do one better, if the rangers draft him i'll do a cartwheel.

To be honest I think the Rangers can get a solid player either way at 5 {hopefully they finish there} because the way i see it, the top guys in this draft are a level above the rest.

Ovchekin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, Ladd. some out Radulov up there, but i am not sold on him.

What intrigues me is what they're gonna do with their second pick {assuming they dont move up} and their ton of second round picks.

I know they've had their eyes fixed in the whl for a while now but i also see them either going to a u.s. college again or taking a gamble on a kid like Schremp who IF he puts it all together could be the best player in the draft, even more than Ovchekin.

Old
03-19-2004, 05:30 AM
pld459666

I thought I heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding blue

that the nerve is not healing as it should.

Plus I believe that once Lundqvist gets used to the smaller rinks and speed of the NHL he's going to be our #1

Old
03-19-2004, 06:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

How about Lauri Tukonen?

Old
03-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Fletch

Tough winger with a scoring touch Edge?

Lemme guess...Ladd? The Rangers' organization is missing a bunch of things. One is that superstar forward who can take control of games. While defense is very important, obviously, you still need to score goals. I'd go offensive with the first pick - and perhaps there's a decent defensive defenseman back there when picking with the Leafs pick (or perhaps there's a trade-up opp). Sather really has a chance to change this organization's stable of prospects.

Old
03-19-2004, 09:37 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I'd go offensive with the first pick - and perhaps there's a decent defensive defenseman back there when picking with the Leafs pick (or perhaps there's a trade-up opp). Sather really has a chance to change this organization's stable of prospects.
If Barker is available, we cannot pass him up if favor of offense. I have doubts about the Pens trading the #1 (as I think that they will use the opp to have a quick rebuild. Fleury last year, Ovechkin this year, and since there will be no hockey next year and thus they will maintain the #1 pick position, Crosby next year).
If we are choosing 5th and the 2 top forwards are gone, Barker is the only choice. IF he is not there, then I would not have a problem w/ Ladd. He is one of the only projected 1st rounders that does not shy away from contact.

Old
03-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Fletch

It's tough...

considering this team is missing size on the blueline, and toughness (with a scoring touch) on wing (and center). Again, Sather really has a chance to round out the organizational depth nicely. I'm pretty excited for the draft; actually, since it's Friday, make that draught.

Old
03-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
How about Lauri Tukonen?
NO.

Old
03-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Ovchekin, Malkin, ... Radulov
One of the best years for the Russians in a long time. And also isn't Lisin Russian, too?

Old
03-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Edge

Few Responses:

With Radulov for me the concern is the same as a lot of kids in this draft, is he willing to work for it? I don't think talent is an issue in this draft, but pro makeup certainly is. This year perhaps more than any other, I see a lot of people getting caught up in numbers and "skill sets" but not looking at it from the perspective of "does it translate".

That is my biggest concern. There's not doubt that guys like Radulov and Olesz and Schremp have offensive talent. The question is are they willing to fight for their chances and how are they going to react to bigger, older, pro level players trying to knock them into next month. I don't think they need to "fight" as in dropping the gloves, but too many of these kids this year simply do not want to be touched. Right now they can get away with it because of their skill level, but that approach is just not going to fly at a pro level.

This is a draft that one really needs to look at beyond the numbers because they are deceiving. For example {and I like Barker} but one would look at his 100+ pim and think he was as physical as Phaneuf. He's not, some of those were some lazy penalties.

I think that's why you see this year esp. that I don't see eye to necessarily with some other assesments. Ironically, many of the publications probably have it a little more dead on then the actual fans. Usually it is the reverse.

It's kinda become a running joke how I praise Andrew Ladd but when push comes to shove it's because he plays a pro game. He actually played defense. He actually went to the net. He actually took physical punishment and he actually looked like he was trying. He's got his question marks like everyone else {how high of an offensive ceiling, etc.} but I'll take his question marks over some of the other guys question marks any day of the week.

Just a word of advice for anyone looking at this draft. More than ever you cannot go by the numbers this year.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:20 PM
CrookedRain

The should get the best available player period.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Edge

problem is that everyone assumes that things are so easy to determine, that every player conviently falls into a ranking.

in reality there are usually a lot of three and four way ties for a ranking and it comes down to opinion.

Every team takes who they feel is the best player available, it just depends on if you agree with them. It's a very loaded question because there really isn't a right or wrong answer.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:35 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille
NO.
Why not?

Old
03-19-2004, 02:59 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i doubt we move down to 5.

games remaining for NYR (8)
philly
pit
pit
nash
philly
nj
buf
wash

vs. games remaining for PHO (8)

chi
minn
cal
sj
edm
van
cal
chi

Old
03-19-2004, 03:13 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
If Barker is available, we cannot pass him up if favor of offense. I have doubts about the Pens trading the #1 (as I think that they will use the opp to have a quick rebuild. Fleury last year, Ovechkin this year, and since there will be no hockey next year and thus they will maintain the #1 pick position, Crosby next year).
Have you read anything, anywhere, that says if we're locked out next year the draft positions from this year carry over? Just curious because I know I haven't . You'd have all 29 other teams in the league screaming bloody murder in seeing the two best prospects in the last 15 years go to the same team.

I really don't think it's going to come to that because from the things I've heard we're either going to be playing in October or they'll make a short season and start from January.

If we can't get our hands on the Number 1 pick I'd say just take the best talent other than a goaltender of course. We need help in every area, not just one and there are a variety of good options to choose from.

Last edited by BigE: 03-19-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old
03-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Edge

i dunno its pretty close

two games against philly are likely losses and NJ, nashville and buffalo are likely losses as well.

That right there is 5 losses, the only questions are pitts and washington. so three games they might win.

As for phoenix:

they have two games they might win, both against Chicago.

I think the ball is in the rangers court on this one. But of course they're likely to find a way to screw it up which is exactly why Jagr makes no sense on this team.

If you're gonna rebuild then rebuild, don't kill your chances by having a player who wins you games but ultimatly hurts you in the long run.

Jagr winning us games, this year or next does NOTHING for the benefit of this franchise.

Old
03-19-2004, 03:15 PM
BigE

Quote:
problem is that everyone assumes that things are so easy to determine, that every player conviently falls into a ranking.

in reality there are usually a lot of three and four way ties for a ranking and it comes down to opinion.

Every team takes who they feel is the best player available, it just depends on if you agree with them. It's a very loaded question because there really isn't a right or wrong answer.
A good example of this would be on draft day last year where each of the teams with the top four picks said that they got the guy that was number one on their list. Pittsburgh with Fleury, Carolina with Stall, Florida with Horton and Columbus with Zherdev. Each of them said the same thing in an interview.

The Rangers said that Jessiman was number four on their list.

Closed Thread