HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Swine flu outbreak -possible pandemic

Old
04-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Hossa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
The media NEEDS something like this... to overhype for ratings.
The inevitably of a major global pandemic is unquestionable, and I would have to imagine widespread cynicism like this would undermine emergency response efforts when it does happen.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
HSF

hopefully they deal with this before everyone from all pats of the world come for the Olympics

they probably will but still, thankfully it doesnt look too harmful up here yet....

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 08:11 PM
SelleckStache

vCash: 5000
How is this any different than the 'regular' flu's that were responsible for 4000 deaths in Canada last year?

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 08:33 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
How is this any different than the 'regular' flu's that were responsible for 4000 deaths in Canada last year?
that is what scientist are trying to figure out, they know VERY little about this new swine flu. It may just be another flu but better safe then sorry

Old
04-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Alfie The Legend

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...swine-flu.html

This is terrible !!!!

Alfie The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Kill the PIGS!!!

04-26-2009, 09:45 PM
senators2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
because of the age of the individuals who have died, the flu usually only causes death in the very young and the elderly who have weak immune systems, while this strain has caused death in young healthy adults

senators2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:19 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by senators2007 View Post
because of the age of the individuals who have died, the flu usually only causes death in the very young and the elderly who have weak immune systems, while this strain has caused death in young healthy adults
The only people who have died live in a 3rd world country.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
so far

Old
04-26-2009, 10:41 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosschecker View Post
Tell the families of those who have died from this that's it's fictional.....

GET LOST.
Oh please. This is the same crap people said during the listeria "scare".

The VASSSSSSTTTTT majority of people here will have no issues at ALL.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosschecker View Post
Tell the families of those who have died from this that's it's fictional.....

GET LOST.
Just because people have died from it doesn't mean they have to go fearmongering and scaring us into watching cable news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Henley
It's interesting when people die.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Jerrico

I'm going to Cancun on friday for a week, and I'm not overly concerned. Am I being impetuous about this? I figure things will be fine on the coast, and I also get the impression that the media is really exaggerating this one.

Jerrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Skrymir

We're overdue for pandemic (last one was the Hon Kong Flu in 68-69). If it's not this, than it will be something else in the near future.

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 02:00 AM
Romans12_12

Although I do not think this is "THE" pandemic of ancient prophecies, nor do I think it will be a serious fatal health issue for most people, I do however feel that this time around the media is under reporting.

Usually I am all over the media for these kinds of health scares, however, one thing I noticed the past few days is how many possible outbreaks are NOT being reported. I was listening to a national talk radio show on Friday night, and the topic was Swine Flu. At least a dozen callers called in from different areas around the USA and reported that in their local town, specific school were reporting up to 2/3rds of the entire student population had called out. These schools were all school in which they had just reopened from spring break and either the school had planned a trip for them, or large groups had gone by themselves individually to a spring break vacation, either in Mexico in the southern part of the USA.

If there are a dozen towns where almost entire schools are empty because all the kids are sick, this should be front page news. Instead, all we are hearing about is the one school in NY. Again, I think this will blow over, but at the same time, something concerns me about the lack of information coming out about possible cases.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns
Yeah, so our travel agent just contacted us saying the cruise lines are concerned over this. GREAT. We've postponed it twice.

Silvercup Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 11:29 AM
ARS

Thankfully, the medical and health organizations of the world don't have the same ignorant responses to this flu as the people in this thread.

No it's not a pandemic yet like the Spanish flu was, but, unlike the bird flu, it can travel from people to people, and add to that the fact that the mortality rate is much higher than regular flu and there's no vaccine to battle it and that is exactly how pandemics start, so no there's no exaggeration when health officials say that this has a potential to turn into a pandemic.

I have no doubt that we'll be seeing cases in Ontario pop up sometime soon unless the unlikely scenario that none of the 13 million people living in Ontario have visited Mexico in the past couple months has occurred.

You guys have to remember that the Spanish flu killed upto 100 million people (although the world war and the unsanitary conditions back then probably accelerated that) and this swine flu is a more powerful version of it. The swine flu, like the Spanish flu, is most effective against people with strong immune systems, so generally people under 45 excluding young kids, whereas a normal flu only really kills the young and weak or the old and frail. Thankfully living conditions and our ability to isolate cases of this flu are much greater than back in the 1910's, but that doesn't mean you should ignore it completely. It's always better to be safe than sorry and there's a reason why this flu is causing schools in Mexico to be closed.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by All I Ever Wanted View Post
Yeah, so our travel agent just contacted us saying the cruise lines are concerned over this. GREAT. We've postponed it twice.
better safe than sorry

Old
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
coldspam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrico View Post
I'm going to Cancun on friday for a week, and I'm not overly concerned. Am I being impetuous about this? I figure things will be fine on the coast, and I also get the impression that the media is really exaggerating this one.
Please be careful while you are in Cancun.... and don't bring the virus back with you. once again, better safe than sorry

coldspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Obviously a moderate response is required from ordinary citizens. Don't panic but be aware. I too enjoy attacking the media for fearmongering (it makes me feel intellectually superior), but this is something that should legitimately demand our attention. Stay informed and all that.

Between Swine Flu and W5's report the other night, my desire to travel to Mexico has never been lower. Over-the-top fearmongering USA-style investigative journalism aside, yet another Canadian citizen has been in a Mexican prison for over a year without trial, with little to no evidence.

*sigh*

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
CheeseSandwich*

Quote:
Originally Posted by All I Ever Wanted View Post
your ship will probably just skip this port and spend another day at sea.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Mr_Squeaks
Poor Impulse Control

There's really very little we can do as average folks when it comes to surviving a pandemic. This current iteration that's floated up here isn't a huge risk to the vast majority of Canadians. But suppose a virus came along that was airborne and truly dangerous - I don't know about you guys, but most places I've ever worked have an unwritten "frown" rule when it comes to staying home sick. Unless you're spraying liquids from every orifice, you're probably going to be sitting in a cube-farm spreading joy to your coworkers through the recycled air. Fun stuff.

For now, we do what we can as individuals. Stay healthy, try not to get run down, get some down-time when you're sick, and try not to spit in each others' eyes so much.

Mr_Squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 1076
It's no big deal, I'm immune.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:50 PM
mexicohockey

Hi folks,
no need for hysteria right now but you have to take this stuff serious. Authorities here act according to the danger, and every possible action is being taken to prevent an epidemia.
However, if you consider travelling to Mexico, I can only encourage you not to travel unless the reason to be here would be essential. For holiday makers it is no fun at all right now. Every major public events has been cancelled, museums, restaurants do not open, etc.

mexicohockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 02:11 PM
L'Aveuglette
Beef-mode activated

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrico View Post
You should cancel your flight before it's too late and you lose your money. I myself am not overly concerned but the american gov has already advised people not to travel there and the canadian gov is likely to follow suit.

L'Aveuglette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 02:28 PM
mexicohockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
What about the people that died in Mexico?

mexicohockey is offline   Reply With Quote