HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

DRAFT DAY discussion (part 2)

Old
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
If I'm correct, this is a list of undrafted players (scroll)...

http://espn.go.com/nhldraft/draft/tracker/position
Surprised Patrik Cehlin didnt get picked. What I read about him I liked...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:13 PM
IrishSniper87

Flyers prob sign a few undrafted guys for depth.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:23 PM
mercury

"Dave Lebrecque" is a fantastic hockey name.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:50 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Toronto takes Eric Knodel - 6'6" defenseman from Philly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Kid from West Chester got drafted, plays out of Iceline. Weird, I play games there.
I use to play with the kid. The kid is a ****ing TANK. He just makes people his ***** out there. Kind of shocking that he got drafted considering that he never went to prep school or anything. He just won a State Championship with Bayard Rustin. Kind of slow, but he his big and has a ****ing rocket.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:52 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Holmgren said he spoke to San Jose GM Doug Wilson about a possible deal, but would not say which player he was seeking.
Ryan Clowe?

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:19 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Ryan Clowe?
That seems to be the name oft-mentioned in other columns.

Edit: Here is one example...

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...7323165709.txt

Quote:
While the Flyers aren’t done yet — they are rumored to be in trade talks with San Jose for 22-goal scorer Ryan Clowe — as they stand now they seem ready to sprint with the Penguins.

Until they added Pronger, they were simply running on empty.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-28-2009 at 10:27 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:27 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ Another account...

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_12706520

Quote:
During his Saturday remarks, Wilson repeated his frequent mantra that he is weary of waiting for the Sharks' younger second-tier players to "assert themselves in a bigger way." That group would logically include Joe Pavelski, Milan Michalek, Ryane Clowe, Christian Ehrhoff and Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

The hunch here is that one or two of those players could be with different teams come September. Michalek in particular would seem to be on that short list. Clowe is a restricted free agent who wants to stay with the Sharks but could draw interest from other teams.

Thornton and Boyle are the only players Wilson has flatly ruled out trading. So what of captain Patrick Marleau? It sounds as if Wilson wants to visit with him some more this summer before making the ultimate call. Marleau has a no-trade clause and just one season left on his contract, so moving him won't be a snap.

Does that mean Marleau could start the season with the Sharks and then be dealt before the winter trade deadline? A possible clue: Wilson said, speaking in general terms, that his ideal player moving ahead will be "the hockey equivalent of a gym rat — no baggage, no excuses." That's not exactly a description of Marleau.

Sit down with a draft and relax. It's going to be an interesting summer.

Old
06-28-2009, 10:34 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

How much do you think Clowe would ask for? If we lose Knuble, we need another winger (Knuble would prob be cheaper and put up the same amount of points)

Old
06-28-2009, 11:19 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
How much do you think Clowe would ask for? If we lose Knuble, we need another winger (Knuble would prob be cheaper and put up the same amount of points)
The closest mention I have seen to a dollar figure is this...

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=264730&sc=86
Quote:

So Clowe was closely watching last night's Entry Draft proceedings, perhaps even moreso than the 2001 draft, when he went 171st overall to the Sharks. Hindsight, as they say, is 20-20, but hard to imagine Clowe lasted until the sixth round when Russians Alexander Svitov and Stanislav Chistov went third and fifth overall.

Either way, whether or not he's traded, Clowe should be in for a tidy pay raise on the $1.6 million he made last season when he finished with 22 goals and 52 points.

Consider this: players of similar ilk are making much more, namely Carolina's Erik Cole ($4 million), Philly's Scott Hartnell ($4.7 million) and Jason Arnott of Nashville ($4.5 million).

"But I'm not concerned with what other guys are making," Clowe said. "I'm more concerned with what they (Sharks) think of me."

Old
06-28-2009, 11:47 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I could see Clowe getting 3 million. 3.2 maybe. I'd love to get a fellow Newfoundlander

Fantasy land:

trading Carle+ in a deal for Clowe and Lukowich, then dump Jones and sign Alberts/Montador/simlar UFA. and Sign Knuble

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Carcillo/Nodl/Powe
Briere-Giroux-Clowe
4th liners

Timonen-Parent
Pronger-Coburn
Lukowich-Montador

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Anyone think the Flyers will sign some of the top undrafted players even though a lot of them seem to be Russian?

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:56 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
Anyone think the Flyers will sign some of the top undrafted players even though a lot of them seem to be Russian?
I'm not sure all those players are free agents just because they went undrafted. Maybe I am wrong but I think it depends on birthdays. Some undrafted players are draft eligible for next season but can't be signed as a free agent. Maybe there is a better source of info than the link below...

http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/pro...raft_basic.htm

Quote:
Eligible Players

Players who turn 18 by September 15 and are not older than 20 by December 31 are eligible for selection. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible.

A North American player who is not drafted by the age of 20 is an unrestricted free agent. All non-North Americans must be drafted before being signed, regardless of age.

Old
06-28-2009, 12:14 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I'm not sure all those players are free agents just because they went undrafted. Maybe I am wrong but I think it depends on birthdays. Some undrafted players are draft eligible for next season but can't be signed as a free agent. Maybe there is a better source of info than the link below...

http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/pro...raft_basic.htm
On the draft board, one guy explained it. I dont know if he is right or wrong though

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVP View Post
Would seem to make more sense if the NFL way was the case. But the NHL draft is much more player friendly in terms of free agent options. Someone can explain this better than me I'm sure but most of it is age-based. Undrafted 18 and 19 year olds (this is a generalization to avoid even more confusion about the actual dates), go back into the draft the following years.

As for Canadian junior guys like Girardi, after they are either 20 or 21, they can be signed by any team (much like Mike Ridley and countless others have been signed in the past). If junior guys are drafted, teams have one year to sign them. Then, depending on their age, they either go back into the draft or are free to sign with any club.

For US college players, again there are age rules, after their second year of college they cannot be drafted but must be signed as free agents. If a player is drafted from US junior, high school, or prep school BEFORE he enters college, the team that drafts him retains his rights for four years from the time he starts (or in some cases would have started) college.

Europeans are another story entirely - before the age of 21 they must be drafted to sign with a team. After that, they are pretty much free to sign with any club. There is a bit of an issue as to how long a team retains rights to Europeans they have drafted - it used to be indefinitely but then changed to two years. Now, since there is currently no transfer agreement with Europe in place, clubs are operating under the "indefinite" rule - something the NHLPA is fighting.

Hope this helps somewhat. And I'm sure there are some subtleties that others on here can correct.

Old
06-28-2009, 12:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Has a host city/team been mentioned for the 2010 draft?

I read where St. Louis wants to host the next available All-Star Game (Phoenix could host 2011).

Old
06-28-2009, 12:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
I've been asking that for years, there hasn't been an answer.

Someone in the NHL office might want to get around to that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Sizzle alert, Vancouver-based writer... Ouch!

http://www.theprovince.com/Sports/To...068/story.html

Quote:
Saturday was a wonderfully disgusting tour of Gary Bettman's hockey world for fans of the Vancouver Canucks if they were paying attention, espeically those who might be season-ticket holders.
Quote:
That's right. The Phoenix Coyotes, whose bills are being paid by the NHL, felt free to expand their payroll by taking on an expensive Flames defenceman. That means the Flames now have the best chance to sign a player the Vancouver Canucks might liked to have signed, by off-loading a cap liability in Vandermeer to the Coyotes, a team whose bills are being paid partly by the Aquilini family through revenue sharing and most recently by league dues. By extension in Bettman's world, Vancouver Canuck fans therefore have helped finance a competitive disadvantage to their own team.
Quote:
But in this league, the CBA prevents the Canucks from spending more and outbidding smaller markets like Calgary for players they deem to be better. So when your money as a fan is being used by loser teams to beat your own, which is financially prevented from putting a better team in front of you, as a paying customer you probably have the right to ask why.
Quote:
There you have it in a nutshell. A league run for the benefit of losers to the detriment of the teams that have a decent hockey market and know how to run their businesses properly. It's a league where the fans in the best markets get screwed.

Old
06-28-2009, 01:55 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:

awesome piece lol

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:48 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Vandermeer makes $2.3 and blows nuts.

This guy needs to watch Vandermeer play before acting like Vandermeer is actually good or actually making decent coin.

Phx needs to move to a better market. Your talking the 5th largest city in the US nearly giving tickets away to see an NHL club play.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:17 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Vandermeer makes $2.3 and blows nuts.

This guy needs to watch Vandermeer play before acting like Vandermeer is actually good or actually making decent coin.

Phx needs to move to a better market. Your talking the 5th largest city in the US nearly giving tickets away to see an NHL club play.
he makes 2.3 thats pretty decent

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:47 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

Brutal, yet essentially correct.

It's not a coincidence that most of the NHL's unprofitable franchises are in sunshine states, yet the NHL is determined to put its fingers in its ears and scream loudly instead of acknowledge this simple fact and take steps toward fixing it.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 04:07 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Brutal, yet essentially correct.

It's not a coincidence that most of the NHL's unprofitable franchises are in sunshine states, yet the NHL is determined to put its fingers in its ears and scream loudly instead of acknowledge this simple fact and take steps toward fixing it.
It is a complicated issue but I have never believed in a physical line that hockey is successful here but not there. Just within the recent past, at least two franchises in the Flyers' current division have been rumored to varying degrees about possible relocation (NYI and Pitt) and it wasn't too long ago -- mid 90s -- that New Jersey was rumored to be on the move (specifically, to Nashville). Tampa Bay and Dallas have shown support and have generally had a good on-ice product. Florida and Phoenix by comparison haven't had competitive teams, certainly had ownership issues, in recent years and that reflects with the crowds. Chicago is a prime example of people will support the team when winning -- early 90s for example (despite the owner), not support a struggling team with the same owner, then fall in love again under the incredible leadership of the current management and the resurrection of a competitive team.

San Jose was considered non-traditional but the team has been a box office success and iced competitive teams. I could be wrong but if San Jose didn't have a strong base, I think many people would lump them into the "hockey doesn't belong there" group.

Going back: When the NHL-WHA merger talks went through a series of steps, three of the four WHA teams were Canadian based. There were five opponents who were consistently against the merger. All three existing NHL Canadian franchises (VAN, MTL and TORO) were opposed in addition to LA and Boston. The Bruins under no circumstance wanted Hartford due to territorial conditions. For the merger to happen, based on the 75% requirement of approval, at least two of those five needed to switch. Supposedly, Montreal agreed because of a boycott to Molsen products while Van was convinced it would cut down on travel time.

Old
06-28-2009, 04:35 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
It is a complicated issue but I have never believed in a physical line that hockey is successful here but not there. Just within the recent past, at least two franchises in the Flyers' current division have been rumored to varying degrees about possible relocation (NYI and Pitt) and it wasn't too long ago -- mid 90s -- that New Jersey was rumored to be on the move (specifically, to Nashville). Tampa Bay and Dallas have shown support and have generally had a good on-ice product. Florida and Phoenix by comparison haven't had competitive teams, certainly had ownership issues, in recent years and that reflects with the crowds. Chicago is a prime example of people will support the team when winning -- early 90s for example (despite the owner), not support a struggling team with the same owner, then fall in love again under the incredible leadership of the current management and the resurrection of a competitive team.

San Jose was considered non-traditional but the team has been a box office success and iced competitive teams. I could be wrong but if San Jose didn't have a strong base, I think many people would lump them into the "hockey doesn't belong there" group.

Going back: When the NHL-WHA merger talks went through a series of steps, three of the four WHA teams were Canadian based. There were five opponents who were consistently against the merger. All three existing NHL Canadian franchises (VAN, MTL and TORO) were opposed in addition to LA and Boston. The Bruins under no circumstance wanted Hartford due to territorial conditions. For the merger to happen, based on the 75% requirement of approval, at least two of those five needed to switch. Supposedly, Montreal agreed because of a boycott to Molsen products while Van was convinced it would cut down on travel time.
Well, it is certainly a complicated issue, but let's break it down by franchises.

First, to your Devils/Isles point. I personally don't think that NYC can support 3 franchises and let each one have a strong fanbase (which is basically what's going on right now). I mean, the NYR are always going to be dominate and that essentially leaves the Devils and Isles fighting over scraps. When the wheel turns and the Isles are doing better and the Devils are doing worse, we'll be hearing about the Devils potentially moving I'm sure.

Pitt I already believe has a very strong bandwagon fanbase element as well, I don't think there's a large hockey base in that town.

As for Chicago, I'm going to refrain from being too harsh on them simply because Wirtz was the King of Nightmare Owners, I'm betting a lot of people didn't financially invest in that franchise on principle, I probably would have done the same thing.

Dallas, definitely a franchise in your favor.

TB, possible, I'm still very skeptical tbh, I don't have any confidence in the Florida sports scene (no offense). I think TB enjoyed a normal 5 year grace period after their Cup run and then fans stopped coming as much this year.

FLA, again, skeptical. They were in the playoff hunt for much of this year and still couldn't muster as much attendance.

ATL, disaster on all counts.

SJ, possibly the most damning argument, one of SJ's execs said in a fairly recent interview that they would have lost money this year even if they made the Cup finals and that's a team that's been very competitive for most of the past decade.

ANA, good attendance numbers on paper, but I know a couple people in SC and they really say that the numbers are inflated and that your average Joe couldn't care less about the Ducks.

PHX, total disaster.

CAR, apparently lost loads of money in 07-08 despite being 2 years removed from a Cup run.

In every league, the less successful franchises aren't going to make as much money and possibly even lose money, it's just a fact of life. However, the key is limiting losses. I mean, most reports say that the Coyotes lost 30 million US this past season, I would have a lot of trouble believing that even a last place team in Hamilton would lose that much money.

I really think that a losing franchise in the south is in general going to lose more money than a similar franchise in the north.

I'm not necessarily opposed to franchises in the south, but right now, there are 5 franchises within a few hundred miles of each other in Atlanta, Nashville, TB, FLA, and Carolina. That's a 6th of the league, hell, all the Canadian teams make up a 5th of the league.

So you have almost as many franchises in the Southeastern pocket of the US as you do in all of Canada, that's a problem IMO.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:00 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

I heard Bettman yesterday talk about the matter and earlier in the year Paul Kelly. Kelly was asked about Quebec and he mentioned the lack of business interests and the lack of an owner. The arena is an issue, too, from what I understand. If all that is true, tough to put a franchise in place. Bettman talked yesterday about Winnipeg and it seemed from his description that there isn't a potential ownership group in place. I have no issue with people blasting certain markets as you did above. I don't dispute problems as specified (Atlanta, Nashville, etc.) but in some instances those issues can be associated with so-called traditional areas, too. Different matter and ancient history, but some entities didn't want Philadelphia to get an NHL franchise in the mid-60s because of past failures in the city; Baltimore and Vancouver were preferred candidates.

Old
06-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Bennevol10

Top Ten Draft Day Winner!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-winners_N.htm

8.Philadelphia Flyers - Although the GM Paul Holmgren seemed to overpay, he landed the best player at the draft in difference-making defenseman Chris Pronger. He's the kind of defenseman a team wants trying to deal with the likes of Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin and Eric Staal in the Eastern Conference.

Bennevol10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10 View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-winners_N.htm

8.Philadelphia Flyers - Although the GM Paul Holmgren seemed to overpay, he landed the best player at the draft in difference-making defenseman Chris Pronger. He's the kind of defenseman a team wants trying to deal with the likes of Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin and Eric Staal in the Eastern Conference.

Not too shabby... considering they didn't have a selection in the draft until the 80s, in the 3rd round.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote