HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's a good skate for narrow, flat-feet?

Old
05-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Breakaway23*

vCash: 500
What's a good skate for narrow, flat-feet?

I have some Bauer Vapor 10's from purchased around 2000 or 2001 I forget the year.

I'm not unhappy with them entirely. I'm not the best skater but my left skate kind of has a 'play' feel to it, it's hard to describe. Like it's kind of looser than my left foot. My right foot feels more solid in the ball-to-toe area.

At any rate, I have heard the early model Bauer Vapor models had some problems. I'm not sure how good the other ones are.

I am about to play league hockey again, and have thought about maybe getting another skate, any suggestions on what would be a good skate for my narrow, flat-foot?

Last edited by Breakaway23*: 05-25-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Breakaway23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 03:08 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway23 View Post
I have some Bauer Vapor 10's from purchased around 2000 or 2001 I forget the year.

I'm not unhappy with them entirely. I'm not the best skater but my left skate kind of has a 'play' feel to it, it's hard to describe. Like it's kind of looser than my left foot. My right foot feels more solid in the ball-to-toe area.

At any rate, I have heard the early model Bauer Vapor models had some problems. I'm not sure how good the other ones are.

I am about to play league hockey again, and have thought about maybe getting another skate, any suggestions on what would be a good skate for my narrow, flat-foot?
Vapors. Try them on in a store. Don't just take anyone's advice over the internet and buy from hockeywalmart.com. Your idea of narrow might be different than mine. And there's always some X-factor in a skate that makes you wish you would have tried them on in-person to compare with other models.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Heat McManus

Narrow feet would be best with Vapors and Grafs. Stock CCM/Rbk and Eastons would be very wide.

As for flat feet, try getting a heel-lift to lift your foot above the arch. Keep in mind, using a heel lift with Grafs would pitch you WAAAAAAY up on your toes.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 05:40 PM
...is a goober

I think I know what you are talking about. I have narrow, flat feet and my right skate always feels loose and unstable. If I try to tighten it up I can't move my ankle enough so I just live with it.

I don't know if there is a particular skate that will work better than any others for this, I would assume whatever you are comfortable in. I use Graf 704s. What you could look into though is having the blade holder adjusted to compensate for your over pronation. i know with me, when I stand comfortably in skates my ankles roll in and my toes point out. But by having the holders moved and wedges put under one side or another, even though the boot is wonky, your blade will be going in the right direction. This helped me immensely and it felt like I could skate comfortably for the first time ever. I don't know if you will have the same level of response, but it should help.

I don't know about what kind of hockey shops you have where ever you are, but I had two pairs done, one in a specialty place in Edmonton, and another standard, but very good place in Kelowna.

...is a goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Breakaway23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...is a goober View Post
I think I know what you are talking about. I have narrow, flat feet and my right skate always feels loose and unstable. If I try to tighten it up I can't move my ankle enough so I just live with it.
Cool so you know what I am talking about. My left skate just kind of floats in the front. Tigheting it doesn't help. Maybe it's just a technique or foot contour thing?

I've thought about Grafs, but perhaps maybe it's not a skate issue after all.

Breakaway23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 07:48 PM
LilWinger11

Since you said it's just your left skate that feels "off", I'm wondering if maybe your feet are slightly different sizes and the left skate is a bit big? If the right skate feels good you probably don't want to change the size, but maybe try putting an extra innersole in the left skate to take up some room.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Heat McManus

just wondering, but if you loosen the laces and push your foot to the front of the skate so your toes are resting against the toe-cap how much room is in the heel on each skate?

Old
05-26-2008, 02:44 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Since you said it's just your left skate that feels "off", I'm wondering if maybe your feet are slightly different sizes and the left skate is a bit big? If the right skate feels good you probably don't want to change the size, but maybe try putting an extra innersole in the left skate to take up some room.
my feet also differ by about 1/4 size. I can't drop the cash to do customs, so I obviously buy my skates to fit my smaller foot. Then I get the skate for my big foot stretched a bit..

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 08:34 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway23 View Post

CCM's.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:30 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
CCM's.
CCM's are wider than Grafs and Vapors. I'd recommend Grafs overall. I recently got a pair, higher price tag, but you can feel the difference.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:54 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

I've been wearing Bauer skates since I was young for my flat, narrow feet. I usually buy a cheap pair of dr. scholls insoles to put below the footbed to take up a tiny bit more space in the boot itself. Also, if you wear socks it helps take up a bit more room, too.

I would also recommend looking into custom orthotics. I had a pair made for me 10 years ago (they werent cheap, about $150 after insurance paid for about half) and they are still in good shape. I used to have alot of back pain after every game, but its never returned after I started wearing the orthotic. Its a must if you lack an arch.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:59 AM
stick9

Without seeing the posters foot, the only advice I would offer is - go to your local hockey shop and try on a bunch of different skates until you get the right fit.

Simply getting a narrow skate might fix the problem you have in one skate, but could create another in the process. Like, your heel not seating correctly, or your other skate (the one that fits fine now) is too tight.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:49 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
CCM's are wider than Grafs and Vapors. I'd recommend Grafs overall. I recently got a pair, higher price tag, but you can feel the difference.
Absolutely not true. I have very, very wide feet and when I told the local skate guy (who did the skates for the Canadian team at the 2006 Olympics) that I currently had CCM's he started laughing out loud.
The only skate he suggested for my wide feet were Graphs.

Graphs and Eastons are great for wide feet. CCM's are for more narrow pads.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Absolutely not true. I have very, very wide feet and when I told the local skate guy (who did the skates for the Canadian team at the 2006 Olympics) that I currently had CCM's he started laughing out loud.

I think you might want to consult this man again. You may have missed something. CCM has always been wider than Nike Bauer.

GraF reg width is narrower than CCM regular width (D) for the most par. However, every model Graf makes is a different fit. It's not like CCM, Rbk, NikeBauer, or Easton where their lines might be slightly different but tha main difference is quality going up and down the line.

Vapors and Supremes fit differently, but the difference between a XXXX and XXV is more in the material than the fit.

www.grafcanada.com gives you a good run down on the models.

Your guy may have suggested a certain Graf model in a wide width that is better for your individual foot. A person with a high instep might want to try a 705, or a person with thick ankles would feel better in a 709.

Old
06-05-2008, 09:27 AM
nyrmetros

I have wide flat feet and I skate with rbk.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

Well you can get the EE skates that are wider, but I've compared my pair of grafs to my friends pair of CCM's, we have the same size feet and his skates are way wider. I mean it may change with each model, obviously, but I've heard that CCM's are generally wider.

Old
06-05-2008, 06:07 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
I think you might want to consult this man again. You may have missed something. CCM has always been wider than Nike Bauer.

GraF reg width is narrower than CCM regular width (D) for the most par. However, every model Graf makes is a different fit. It's not like CCM, Rbk, NikeBauer, or Easton where their lines might be slightly different but tha main difference is quality going up and down the line.

Vapors and Supremes fit differently, but the difference between a XXXX and XXV is more in the material than the fit.

www.grafcanada.com gives you a good run down on the models.

Your guy may have suggested a certain Graf model in a wide width that is better for your individual foot. A person with a high instep might want to try a 705, or a person with thick ankles would feel better in a 709.
That's a good point. I looked at the Graf 705 and the 735 when I bought my Grafs, went with the 735. The 705 had a huge boot, way longer than the 735's, but they were the same size shoe. Overall, I felt the 735's fit better, so I stuck with them. A month and a half later, I'm still not regretting spending the money on them.

Old
06-05-2008, 07:54 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

I bought some new Missions a few years back and they felt squralley under my feet. I told the guy who sharpens them and he ground off more in the front , cured...

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
I bought some new Missions a few years back and they felt squralley under my feet. I told the guy who sharpens them and he ground off more in the front , cured...
That would have to do with pitch rather than width.

Old
06-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Mxpunk

I have incredibly flat feet, and I have used Grafs for over 10 years. I think the instep helps your arch and allows you to push off more like a normal human being!

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
EagleBlack87
Score ze goals

Graf 703. Don't even think about anything else.

http://www.grafcanada.com/science/every_foot.pdf this link tells you what Graf is good for what types of feet.

Good luck!

EagleBlack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:38 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Haha they are NOT wider.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:30 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Haha they are NOT wider.
You're about 3-4 weeks too late on that argument.

Old
06-18-2008, 06:16 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBlack87 View Post
Graf 703. Don't even think about anything else.

http://www.grafcanada.com/science/every_foot.pdf this link tells you what Graf is good for what types of feet.

Good luck!
That's actually really helpful. Glad I picked the 735's, because they fit perfectly.

BTW, the 735 does not have that blade/chassis on it anymore, it has the same ones as the others.

Old
06-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
That's actually really helpful. Glad I picked the 735's, because they fit perfectly.

BTW, the 735 does not have that blade/chassis on it anymore, it has the same ones as the others.
the boot would be the same. just a different holder/blade.