HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bill Guerin be in Black and Vegas Gold next season?

Old
04-02-2009, 10:02 PM
McNasty66

vCash: 500
Will Bill Guerin be in Black and Vegas Gold next season?

The title says it all

As of the 6-1 owning of New Jersey on Apr 1 Guerin has 11 points (4-7) in 12 games in a Penguins uniform. That gives him 47 (20-27) points on the season.

His current contract pays him 4.5 a year.

McNasty66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Jacob

It looks like a strong possibility. Lots can happen between now and July 1st, though.

If he keeps playing this way and doesn't disappear in the playoffs, I'd like him back. But only on a 1 year deal at no more than 3.5 mill.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
All depends on where Guerins priorities are, if he wants to hunt the dollars then bye bye Bill.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:21 PM
AK

There just won't be room for Guerin with Malkin and Staal's raises kicking in.

46.85 dollars are already committed, and there are three top six spots to fill.

Goligoski is a RFA, and he probably signs for something just north of 1 million, and Curry can be the backup for 6K.

So now, 49.15 committed.

Kunitz-Crosby-XXX
XXX-Malkin-XXX
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Dupuis-Talbot-Godard

Gonchar-Orpik
Letang-Eaton
Goligoski-XXX

Fleury
Curry

Guerin can't be retained, and I suspect one or both of Tangradi and Caputi will be given a shot, since they are cheap.

Last edited by AK: 04-02-2009 at 10:31 PM.
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
If he is asking for anything more than 3M we can't afford him.

I'd rather look elsewhere to be honest. I still have doubts about Guerin's production and consistency in the long haul.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:22 PM
AgentM

I'm hoping for 1 year at $3m to $3.5m. That top line has good chemistry, he gives us a right handed shot for Sid, and he would be a great mentor to guys that could play a power game like Staal, Caputi, and Tangradi.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:28 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDeriMISSILE View Post
Same thoughts.

Also, Letang58-- I believe Godard is still signed for next year.
Oh, my bad. Not quite sure how I omitted him.

I'll fix it.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:29 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Reverse Homer View Post
If he is asking for anything more than 3M we can't afford him.

I'd rather look elsewhere to be honest. I still have doubts about Guerin's production and consistency in the long haul.
Same thoughts.

Also, Letang58-- I believe Godard is still signed for next year.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Oh, my bad. Not quite sure how I omitted him.

I'll fix it.
No big deal, just was interested to see if you had included him in the salary and just not listed him, or if he was omitted on both.

We need Caputi or Tangradi to take up a roster spot next year, unless we want to bump TFK up to the top-6 and bring up Jeffrey.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:35 PM
AK

Quote:
No big deal, just was interested to see if you had included him in the salary and just not listed him, or if he was omitted on both.

We need Caputi or Tangradi to take up a roster spot next year, unless we want to bump TFK up to the top-6 and bring up Jeffrey.
I omitted him from both, so I added his .75 to the cap numbers.

I'd like to see Zigomanis signed for about one million, and then we could do something like this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Tangradi
Caputi-Malkin-Kennedy
Cooke-Staal-Talbot
Dupuis-Zigomanis-Godard

With those forward lines, the total team cap hit would be manageable, and the potential in that top six is nuts.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:42 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
I omitted him from both, so I added his .75 to the cap numbers.

I'd like to see Zigomanis signed for about one million, and then we could do something like this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Tangradi
Caputi-Malkin-Kennedy
Cooke-Staal-Talbot
Dupuis-Zigomanis-Godard

With those forward lines, the total team cap hit would be manageable, and the potential in that top six is nuts.
Potential is definitely good, but for a team that will be looking to compete for a Cup, I don't know how much we can accelerate Tangradi and Caputi. I could see Caputi starting on the 3rd line with Cooke on the 2nd or just how you have it, but I think they'll want Tangradi to play in the AHL for a while.

Who knows though at this point. Camp next year is going to be very interesting to follow the young guys, that's for sure.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Jacob

I don't really like separating Staal and Kennedy. They're roomies and their on-ice chemistry is superb.

In a pinch we could always separate Kunitz and Guerin. Put Guerin with Malkin perhaps. Crosby can play with Kunitz and maybe Caputi or Tangradi, Malkin can play with Guerin and maybe Talbot/Cooke?

Dupuis could always be dealt/waived if we're REALLY needing to pinch pennies.

Anyhow, there's a lot of ways we can squeeze Guerin plus another top-6 winger into the mix whilst staying under the cap, in my eyes.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:57 PM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty66 View Post
The title says it all

As of the 6-1 owning of New Jersey on Apr 1 Guerin has 11 points (4-7) in 12 games in a Penguins uniform. That gives him 47 (20-27) points on the season.

His current contract pays him 4.5 a year.
sure why not? good idea for both camps I imagine. 1 year/3.5-4.0 sounds about right.

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:57 PM
SM17

What about Sykora? I know he hasn't been playing at his best lately and him staying really depends on the $$$ he wants, but I thought the dynamic between him and Malkin was great.

SM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

I still think we will ultimately have to try and see off Dupuis elsewhere. He is a good bottom sixer, but we have choices here and I'd rather have Zigomanis and his face off abilities at about a million than Dupuis at 1.4.

Tangradi and Caputi most definitely are not both going to be in the top6, and Tangradi even less so as a first line player straight off the bat. If we can have them both prepared to have such roles two seasons from now, that would be tremendously awesome, but now it just isn't realistic.

Bill Guerin for next year... I think it will be difficult to swing it, and I also think that it might not be what we want unless he comes really cheap. Age is a concern for one, but even more I think it is imperative that we look to the needs of Malkin before giving Sid two - for us - expensive linemates. Of course Guerin could be used on Malkin's line also if Sykora isn't signed, but it would seem a bit odd now that Guerin is getting chemistry with Sid and Kunitz.

Since Sykora went AWOL and Fedotenko hasn't been the same coming back from his injury, Malkin's 5 on 5 scoring has dropped tremendously. He's too much of an asset for us to starve him like that that. There simply has to be some parity between 1A and 1B.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:03 PM
SM17

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Since Sykora went AWOL and Fedotenko hasn't been the same coming back from his injury, Malkin's 5 on 5 scoring has dropped tremendously. He's too much of an asset for us to starve him like that that. There simply has to be some parity between 1A and 1B.
I think Malkin could definitely use a big body presence like had with Malone last semester but I can't think of anyone available who would fit.

Old
04-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Energise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM17 View Post
What about Sykora? I know he hasn't been playing at his best lately and him staying really depends on the $$$ he wants, but I thought the dynamic between him and Malkin was great.
For he and Guerin, it will all come down to the money. If I could only choose one, it would probably be Guerin. Sykora has done some great things mentoring Geno, but I expect a lot more from him on the ice. He still has time to change my mind, though, with a solid post-season.

Energise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:05 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
There just won't be room for Guerin with Malkin and Staal's raises kicking in.

46.85 dollars are already committed, and there are three top six spots to fill.

Goligoski is a RFA, and he probably signs for something just north of 1 million, and Curry can be the backup for 6K.

So now, 49.15 committed.

Kunitz-Crosby-XXX
XXX-Malkin-XXX
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Dupuis-Talbot-Godard

Gonchar-Orpik
Letang-Eaton
Goligoski-XXX

Fleury
Curry

Guerin can't be retained, and I suspect one or both of Tangradi and Caputi will be given a shot, since they are cheap.
I think one of the young forward prospects will win a spot next season (Tangradi, Caputi, CPZ, or KV). I think the player that does the best of those 4 in camp will get a chance to play in the top 6 and if that player faulters another of those 4 will get his chance. I doubt more than one of those rookies will start the season in the top 6. With one of those guys filling one of those top 6 forward spots that will give us about 6 million to fill 2 top 6 forward spots and a bottom pairing dman spot. I think it can be done. I would not even mind Lovejoy getting a shot to make the team and just sign a decent vet defensive dman for the 6-7 man. We will have our top 2 defensive pairings back and I believe Goligoski will be a good 3rd pairing dman. We are going to have to go cheap on that 3rd pairing dman and spend most of that $6 million on the 2 other top 6 forward openings. Those positions are much more important than a 6th dman. I would let Lovejoy get his shot and if he does not work out get a vet dman at the deadline like we did with Gill a couple years ago. We will be able to take on a bigger salary at that time since we only have to pay a 1/4 of that against the cap.

It will be tight but we could sign Guerin for the right price. To me I would only do it if the team went far in the playoffs this season and he keeps clicking with Crosby. As I am typing this I would not even mind if 2 of our young winger prospects made the team if they played lights out in camp. Unless we can get 2 wingers for $2.5 million each I think we might have no choice. We could get Sykora I think for that price but I don't know about Guerin. Maybe you would have to bring in Fedotenko because he would sign for that price or lower. That would leave $1 million for a vet dman which is not much. Whatever the Pens do I don't want to screw Malkin and sign Guerin for $3+ million and then put Malkin with a rookie and a player that is $2 million cap hit or less. I hope they give him at the very least Sykora or a player of equal skills or better on his RW if he is going to have a Tangradi or Caputi on his LW.

Honestly I can't even worry about this at this time and just want to enjoy this run and playoffs. Maybe we win the Cup and get some vets that want to play for us for a bargain price. If we keep playing like this we will be a tough out in a 7 game series. The way we are playing now it is hard to imagine a team beating us 4 times in 7 games but I felt the same way in 92-93.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:07 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
I think Malkin could definitely use a big body presence like had with Malone last semester but I can't think of anyone available who would fit.
We can't afford them, but there are a few out there.

Old
04-02-2009, 11:07 PM
66-29-33

I would love to trade down in the draft and try and get a scoring winger. Then try and trade for a young player who can be ready in maybe 1 year. By the time they are all on the big it can be

Young Player-Crosby-Tangradi
Caputi-Malkin-drafted Sniper

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:08 PM
SM17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
For he and Guerin, it will all come down to the money. If I could only choose one, it would probably be Guerin. Sykora has done some great things mentoring Geno, but I expect a lot more from him on the ice. He still has time to change my mind, though, with a solid post-season.
I agree. And if both Sykora and Guerin go then the Penguins don't really have that veteran leadership that they brought aside from Gonchar.

Old
04-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Well... Erik Cole would be pretty much awesome on Malkin's wing IMO. Perhaps a bit too rich for our blood, but I salivate at the thought of Cole Malkin Pesonen*. Someone to bring the hitting, hustle and not infrequent scoring touch and a guy who can make plays for Malkin too as well as finish them.

* Yes, yes, I know. So shoot me. I believe he has what it takes.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:12 PM
SM17

Quote:
We can't afford them, but there are a few out there.
And that will probably be the case with any free agent that may be a good fit.

Old
04-02-2009, 11:12 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I don't really like separating Staal and Kennedy. They're roomies and their on-ice chemistry is superb.

In a pinch we could always separate Kunitz and Guerin. Put Guerin with Malkin perhaps. Crosby can play with Kunitz and maybe Caputi or Tangradi, Malkin can play with Guerin and maybe Talbot/Cooke?

Dupuis could always be dealt/waived if we're REALLY needing to pinch pennies.

Anyhow, there's a lot of ways we can squeeze Guerin plus another top-6 winger into the mix whilst staying under the cap, in my eyes.
This.

Geno, Guerin, & Cooke would be a fun line to watch.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:16 PM
cdenn15

I would not if it was anything over 3, but based on his play so far, I would take him over Sykora. Also, I don't understand why Caputi and Tangradi are penciled into the top-6 already. Obviously they both have the potential, but it is not a definite they will win a job with the big club, let alone the top-6.

cdenn15 is offline   Reply With Quote