HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

French Canadian coaching...Next Habs coach,all talk here

Old
04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
French Canadian coaching...Next Habs coach,all talk here

Is there really a need to only sign French Canadian coaches?
The last successful French Canadian coach for the Montreal Canadiens was Jacque Demers, and he had only won 1 Stanley Cup.

The last successful non-French Canadian won 5. Scotty Bowman.

Is there really a need for the Montreal Media, the people in Montreal to demand "French this" and "French that."

I find it stupid that language has created issues between Quebec and the rest of Canada.

I'm all for keeping heritage, language and such, but I also want the Habs to be successful, whether it come from a coach from Ontario, a player born in China or having a team with 0 non-French Canadians.

Really its 2009, there is such thing as diversity, and multi-culturalism or are people from Quebec stuck in 1867? (that wasn't meant to be insulting).

Your thoughts on this...

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 04-27-2009 at 12:17 PM.
compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:16 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
God dammit Bob pay Bowman the world to coach for us again

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:23 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
I wish we had a coach that wouldn't let anyone become lazy...

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Benzaza

language wise, the coach must speak french to communicate properly with the media. Either he speaks it already or takes classes to learn how to speak it (its not that hard 6 weeks and you be a minimum functional to speak).

player wise: I understand the whole represent your society through your players and having players from quebec..it makes sense for the fans etcc and I dont disagree with it unless you take a quebec player in detriment of a better non-quebec player..

Benzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Namso

If the best coach availalbe is english-only then hire him. Winning solves all problems. Its 2009 the media can hire some translators.

which french coach is available? therrien? hartley?

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind Pat Quinn. Has worked under the media spotlight (Toronto), has worked with veterans and youngsters (WJC).

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:46 PM
VanNistelrooy

I like Hartley.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:50 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaza View Post
language wise, the coach must speak french to communicate properly with the media. Either he speaks it already or takes classes to learn how to speak it (its not that hard 6 weeks and you be a minimum functional to speak).
It takes a lot longer then 6 weeks. And if you are gonna speak french in front of that media, you wanna be very fluent so things don't come across the wrong way. Thats why Koivu won't speak french in front of the media(even though he speaks ok french), because if he makes an unintentional mistake the media will have a field day with it.

If the best coach available speaks english only, then give him a translator for press conferences.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
I like Hartley.
Hartley is a bum. Fact. He had a brilliant team in Colorado. He's proven nothing in my opinion.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Benzaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
It takes a lot longer then 6 weeks. And if you are gonna speak french in front of that media, you wanna be very fluent so things don't come across the wrong way. Thats why Koivu won't speak french in front of the media(even though he speaks ok french), because if he makes an unintentional mistake the media will have a field day with it.

If the best coach available speaks english only, then give him a translator for press conferences.
my mom is teacher french as a second language so 6-week is doable especially when you are going to work for the habs..im pretty sure the guy will learn pretty fast but the way he expresses himself thats a question of time..if he cant the find words he can say it in english but it will come...

take the best coach available and take classes if necessary

Benzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 01:07 PM
j c petit
Locked-out

Two words: press secretary.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 01:25 PM
MoonlightGraham

This has been debated so much here...

I think the bottomline is I can understand why anglophones don't care, but a lot of francophones do, and anglophones are going to have to accept that the majority of the fans are francophones, therefore the next coach will most probably be able to speak French.

By the way, the comparison with Scotty Bowman is wrong for two reasons. First, Scotty Bowman speaks french. Second, even though Scotty Bowman obviously is one of the best coaches in NHL history, you have to admit the comparison is unfair to the other coaches because he coached an team filled with superstars and Hall-of-Famers.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
The last successful French Canadian coach for the Montreal Canadiens was Jacque Demers, and he had only won 1 Stanley Cup.

Is there really a need for the Montreal Media, the people in Montreal to demand "French this" and "French that."

I find it stupid that language has created issues between Quebec and the rest of Canada.

I'm all for keeping heritage, language and such, but I also want the Habs to be successful, whether it come from a coach from Ontario, a player born in China or having a team with 0 non-French Canadians.

Really its 2009, there is such thing as diversity, and multi-culturalism or are people from Quebec stuck in 1867? (that wasn't meant to be insulting).

Your thoughts on this...
Bowman was born in Montreal, Quebec. Hes french Canadian. But i agree with you overall. I think the team should hire the best coach available, no exceptions.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
This has been debated so much here...

I think the bottomline is I can understand why anglophones don't care, but a lot of francophones do, and anglophones are going to have to accept that the majority of the fans are francophones, therefore the next coach will most probably be able to speak French.

By the way, the comparison with Scotty Bowman is wrong for two reasons. First, Scotty Bowman speaks french. Second, even though Scotty Bowman obviously is one of the best coaches in NHL history, you have to admit the comparison is unfair to the other coaches because he coached an team filled with superstars and Hall-of-Famers.
The majority of the fans aren't francophone. That's the point.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by j c petit View Post
Two words: press secretary.
That's a good idea, actually.

What about Marc Crawford? He's been successful in the past. Mind you he coached a team anyone here probably wouldn't have done too badly with.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
marc88

Hartley

marc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsWRC View Post
Bowman was born in Montreal, Quebec. Hes french Canadian. But i agree with you overall. I think the team should hire the best coach available, no exceptions.
Scotty Bowman is 77 yrs old. Not going to happen.

Next.

Old
04-27-2009, 01:34 PM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
That's a good idea, actually.

What about Marc Crawford? He's been successful in the past. Mind you he coached a team anyone here probably wouldn't have done too badly with.
It's worked for years with politicians who struggle or have no command over another language other than their own. Why couldn't it work with a hockey coach? After all, it's much more about knowing how to deal with the media than it is explaining X's and O's.

Old
04-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Scotty Bowman is 77 yrs old. Not going to happen.

Next.
im not suggesting Bowman, im correcting the OP.

But at the same time who cares how old he is if hes a good coach. Again, im not suggesting him specifically.

My take is whoever will get the job done !

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by j c petit View Post
It's worked for years with politicians who struggle or have no command over another language other than their own. Why couldn't it work with a hockey coach? After all, it's much more about knowing how to deal with the media than it is explaining X's and O's.
Yup. Makes sense. I'm surprised this is the first time I hear about this idea to be honest.

Old
04-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
The majority of the fans aren't francophone. That's the point.
No, the point is that you should get the best coach available. Would a francophone rather a great anglo coach that can lead the team to success? Or a moderate franco coach who won't do much with the team?

If someone says the latter, then they're not a fan of the team.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
im not suggesting Bowman, im correcting the OP.

But at the same time who cares how old he is if hes a good coach. Again, im not suggesting him specifically.

My take is whoever will get the job done !
Yeah I wasn't necessarily directing that comment at you sorry. I was refering to the idea of Bowman in general. I just don't think that at his age stepping behind any NHL bench is a good idea. I suspect he feels the same way.

Old
04-27-2009, 01:44 PM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Actually he's a Quebec born anglophone of Scottish heritage:

William Scott Bowman was born September 18, 1933, in Montreal, Quebec, the second of John and Jane Bowman's four children. The Bowmans emigrated to Canada from Scotland and raised their family in a tenement in Verdun, a working-class Montreal suburb. Scotty inherited a relentless work ethic from his father, who never took a sick day in the thirty-one years he toiled as a blacksmith for the railroad. And he acquired a fiercely competitive nature from his mother, who would throw her cards in the fire when she lost a hand of euchre.

Old
04-27-2009, 02:10 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post

Your thoughts on this...
Habs never won a cup with less than 10 quebecers in the team...Do the Habs need to sign more quebecers because of that ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 02:15 PM
digger18

I would like to see the next Habs coach be able to speak French, I would also like to see more Canadian players on the Canadiens.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think the question needs to be distilled into layers of priority.

The first priority is that we get the best available coach who gives the team the best chance of winning.

This is then sort of like the draft... how do you know in advance who is actually going to be the best? Maybe in some rare instances you do, one candidate is so clearly superior to all others that there isn't any debate, but I'm going to guess that in most cases you don't. When they go to hire the guy, they're going to have to factor in a whole boatload of pros and cons, relative strengths and relative weaknesses. Of course you have to have a guy who is going to get along with the boss. So the personal synergy there is probably very important. A winning track record, demonstrable tactical acumen, familiarity with the players could be important. Lots of attributes.

And yes, somewhere on the list, it's fair to list the language issue. Where of course, that "issue" is whether the coach speaks french or not, in addition to english. English is a pre-requisite as that is (no pun intended) the lingua franca of the NHL. You couldn't accept a unilingual swahili speaker as coach of the Habs, no matter his tactical acumen, for example, because he'd be unable to speak to the players. Speaking to the players is the primary requirement in terms of language. Speaking to the press or fans is a courtesy and a bonus, but not a *requirement*.

But if you have some number of equal candidates, then sure, break the tie by taking the one who can speak french. Do that in the draft too. Why not. Are ties that common, though? After doing the full homework on each candidate, they probably shouldn't be. But they could be. Factor in the potential for an anglophone candidate to learn french too... it can't be something that would take away from his coaching and preparation time, however, as that is an essential ingredient in achieving the primary goal of winning. But perhaps there is an individual with an affinity for languages who could pick up all he needs over the summer.

So I think it's fair for it to be a factor in the selection, so long as it is prioritized appropriately. I don't think we lost out in any way by having had Vigneault, Julien, Therrien, or Carbonneau behind the bench. Most, perhaps all of them, have demonstrated that they are solid NHL coaches and have made it into the Jack Adams running at some point.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote