HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

French Canadian coaching...Next Habs coach,all talk here

Old
04-27-2009, 08:02 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Boivin already confirmed they want a coach who can speak french. So forget the unilingual english coach. This won't happen.

And yes, many fans want it this way. More than you think. And yes, the team does care about their market.
The fact that he said that, and not leaving the door open, in my eyes, is not only discriminatory, but also idiotic.

What if Lindy Ruff gets fired...
Wait nvm the idiotic Canadiens managment and media...Ruff doesn't speak french so that won't happen.

The last English coach the Canadiens had was Al MacNeil in 1971.

Out of the 30 coachs (i included the fired/quit), there are 5 Quebec born coachs (inluding Lemaire).
The rest believe it or not are from Ontario, Sask and Alberta, with 1 from Manitoba, and a couple from the US.

Come the think of it now, I hope Ruff gets fired and the organization isn't stupid enough NOT to get him. For a team that has practically no money, and no given superstar, he has sure made them a good team.

Imagine Ruff behind the Home bench...

compile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 09:36 PM
MoonlightGraham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
It's a question of priorities.

Priority #1 : build a winning hockey team by hiring the best coach

Priority #2 : Have a bilingual coach

In a perfect world we will have both.
But anyone who picks #2 over #1 is
NOT a real fan of the team.

It is not an inalienable right to be spoken to in your language of choice for a sports team press conference.

Technically, it is a right to be served in either official languages at hospitals, government offices, the police etc.. But we all know that getting served in english in Quebec and getting served in French in the rest of Canada rarely happens even when you request it.

The media are such a disruptive influence I would love it if we had a coach that didn't speak french. It would force the media to earn its paycheck by reporting the news instead of spending all their time stirring up controversy.

It would be great if all the bigoted media folks had to do extra home work, hire translators & so on. They would be foaming at the mouth with rage & finally get exposed for being bigots, not Habs fans.
Look, I totally agree they have to hire the best candidate available. I never said they had to hire a francophone or whatever. However, if that candidate is an anglophone, I think that person should make an effort to learn basic French.

Why are we even discussing this? When you get a job where you're constantly speaking with the media and, through the media, to the fans, you make an effort to learn their language. Who here would, as the coach of say AC Milan, wouldn't want to learn Italian? It's just showing courtesy and respect to the fans.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 09:48 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
Not going to happen. Every coach of every team of every North American professional sports speaks with the media.

And I think the fans are entitled to hear the coach himself talk about the team on TV. We're the ones why buy tickets, watch the games on TV and buy the merchandise. The fans are ultimately responsible for all the revenue the team makes. The fans would never accept something like that, and they shouldn't accept it. The coach has to be accountable as to how the team is doing, and answer the medias' questions.
what else do you want to be entitled to? his used underwear after a game??

come on now. the press has their questions and the coach will answer them as best he can ( either with or without a translator ).

The coaches job is to win games. If he cannot communicate with his players then thats a problem, if he cannot communicate with the media, thats not so much a problem.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 09:52 PM
maci4life

fans watch the team play a good game and entertain us. We dont' buy tickets or watch them on tv to act out days of our lives, or seinfeld.

montreal canadiens are a hockey team.
their #1 priority is to win the cup.
you must win games to win the cup.
therefore #1 priority is to get the absolute best coach available.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 11:31 PM
compile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
Who here would, as the coach of say AC Milan, wouldn't want to learn Italian? It's just showing courtesy and respect to the fans.
Umm...when was the last time a coach in the NHL did not speak English?

The coaches in football learn the language not for the fans, not for the media, but to communicate with their players.

AC Milan is an Italian team. The team is in Italy. They speak Italian #1 and then English (believe it or not). They don't hire "Italian speaking" coaches only.

Inter Milan as a Portuguese coach.
AC Milan in the late 90's had a Turkish coach.

Why because they are the best available at the time. They don't go out looking for Italian coaches at all actually.

The Montreal Canadiens are in Canada. Canada's native tongue is English and French is a secondary language. So why is that only in Quebec must they have Francophone anything?

The owner is English. Their sponsors range from English to French. So why are they so Francophone biased towards anything at all.

With the logic some "French Canadian" people and media have...if the Habs had the 1st or 2nd pick they wouldn't take Tavares or Hedman at all. Why because they don't speak french.

Give me a break the entire pro-Quebecois thing is a tad bit silly and needs to end, the entire mangement of the Habs should be restructured starting with Boivin, with people that have a more pro-Canada approach.

Old
04-27-2009, 11:49 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post

The coaches in football learn the language not for the fans, not for the media, but to communicate with their players.

AC Milan is an Italian team. The team is in Italy. They speak Italian #1 and then English (believe it or not). They don't hire "Italian speaking" coaches only.

Why because they are the best available at the time. They don't go out looking for Italian coaches at all actually.

The Montreal Canadiens are in Canada. Canada's native tongue is English and French is a secondary language. So why is that only in Quebec must they have Francophone anything?

The owner is English. Their sponsors range from English to French. So why are they so Francophone biased towards anything at all.

With the logic some "French Canadian" people and media have...if the Habs had the 1st or 2nd pick they wouldn't take Tavares or Hedman at all. Why because they don't speak french.

Give me a break the entire pro-Quebecois thing is a tad bit silly and needs to end, the entire mangement of the Habs should be restructured starting with Boivin, with people that have a more pro-Canada approach.
We have now reached the part where I say that in Québec the primary language is French (in the same right that in the rest of Canada the primary language is English), you will disagree and basically our argument is over. We'll see in a few months if the new coach speaks French or not.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Kriss E

Official Dany Dubé For Coach Thread

Some might not want yet another ''nhl green'' coach behind our bench next season, but I think he's the only guy I truly want there.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Etienne

Best francophone analyst out there, but I want a coach with NHL experience. If watching the NHL as part of the medias was worth anything, Réjaune wouldn't be such a clown.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:04 AM
jamz

Jacques Lemaire

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:18 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Some might not want yet another ''nhl green'' coach behind our bench next season, but I think he's the only guy I truly want there.
by far Habs best analyst but I like him where he is..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
How about Dany Dubé for RDS instead?

"Bonsoir, ici Pierre Houde avec Dany Dubé..."

It's a dream.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:22 AM
les3couleurs

Tom Renney behind the bench with Dany Dubé as associate coach.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:24 AM
compile

How about we go with a non-francophone coach for a change?

Old
04-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs View Post
Tom Renney behind the bench with Dany Dubé as associate coach.
Sure sure, then we get Ted Nolan, Mac T, Therrien and other unemployed coaches to help out as well.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Kriss E

I feel Dany would be great. He's always pretty much spot on during his analysis whether it's regarding the system/style or the needs of our team.
I don't know how capable he'd be of handling a bunch of NHL players, but considering he lead a rather average Canadian Olympic team to a Silver Medal, I think he could do it.

Not only does he also speak french, but he's been involved in the media for more than 10years already. He'd already know most of the journalist covering the habs, some of which ex-colleagues.

On top of being media ''friendly'', he's also heard by every habs fan that tunes into CKAC. So, most if not all, would be very happy to see him there.

He also knows our team from top to bottom, as he analyzed it lived on air almost every night.

My vote goes for him. He'd be good for so many reasons.
All the other candidates have already been fired more than once.

Note that I don't necessarily want a french coach. I couldn't care less actually. I just feel like he's the candidate I see able to cope with the Mtl ''pressure''.

Old
04-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post

"Bonsoir, ici Martin McGuire avec Dany Dubé..."

It's a dream.
fixed. Both of them should be with RDS.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
This.
With NHL experience.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Like I said, I don't care about his linguistic background.
If the best coach would only speak Mongolian then so be it.

I don't think there's any coach out there that really stand out. Even if the ''we want Francophones every where'' are incredibly annoying, it is true that a French coach would be benefited.

The only possible candidate I'd truly consider is Peter Laviolette.
But like I previously said, Dubé is an interesting option for so many reasons.

Old
04-28-2009, 02:08 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Not bad as an idea... He knows the game pretty well, that's for sure.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 05:15 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think it would be great for the Habs to give Danny Dube a chance at the big leagues, but it would be best for his career that he begin as an Assistant.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I agree that a panel of Hartley-Roy-Desjardins(Bouchard)-Allaire would be a heck of great coaching staff.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 06:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
How about no more sun from now on? It won't happen. Some people should probably start living with what it means to have a NHL team in Montreal. It is what it is. Accept it or move on.

I would like to see Dubé in there. But as a head coach immediately? No way. Assistant-coach for sure.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Roots73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How about no more sun from now on? It won't happen. Some people should probably start living with what it means to have a NHL team in Montreal. It is what it is. Accept it or move on.

I would like to see Dubé in there. But as a head coach immediately? No way. Assistant-coach for sure.
So we should turn our back on Canadien history and say that Anglo coached teams like Toe Blake and Dick Irvin were a mistake? Were these dark days for you because they did not speak French? The language of the coach should not be a factor as long as we're winning Stanley Cups 4 and 5 times in a row or anytime for that matter.

By your line of thinking, you're taking out a former Canadiens Captain in Kirk Muller out of the running and the coach who helped build the play of many of the youngsters on the squad in Hamilton with Don Lever; both being assistants right now.

Just because they can not conduct a media scrum in two languages with those who continue to deface the franchise on a repeated basis, that's enough for you to take them totally out of consideration for coaching this team?

It's hockey and this political crap is what's not acceptable. Next thing there will be a bill introduced to dictate who's employed and plays on the team if we keep going at this rate.

Roots73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Capitano

Quote:

This is a bad example because the coaches in Italy all speak Italian, regardless of their native tongue.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:

"Bonsoir, ici Martin McGuire avec Dany Dubé..."

It's a dream.
I don't want to hear about "TIR-PASSE de KOVALEV!!!" all the night.
Houde + Dubé should do a great job. Brunet does'nt have the talent to be there. His bests analysis are "Wow!" et "Quelle mise en échec de Guillaume!"

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote