HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

French Canadian coaching...Next Habs coach,all talk here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2009, 09:14 AM
  #101
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
Have Dubé as assistant coach and media consultant at the same time. This way, they could hire the best coach possible, not necessarily a francophone coach and Dubé could sit with him during the media scrums.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:21 AM
  #102
compile
Give me Scotch!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vaughan, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,579
vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
So you basicly dont like French Canadians? Because in another thread you used the same sentence replacing coach by Free agent.
Who the hell said I don't like French Canadians...

Ted Nolan is probably the best coach beside Lemaire (who already stated he doesn't want to coach in Montreal again).

If Lindy Ruff were to become available I'd take him in a heart beat.

My point is the fact that the media has said "More French," and people wanting that is just as bad as Don Cherry saying Europeans are soft. Who cares what they speak, the best suited person should be behind the bench.

__________________
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire
There's no ghosts... only god exists. Luckily, he is our netminder.
compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
  #103
compile
Give me Scotch!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vaughan, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,579
vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
This is a bad example because the coaches in Italy all speak Italian, regardless of their native tongue.
Thanks you just proved my point.
In Northern Italy they speak anything from French to Swedish, but Italian is their native tongue.

Why won't Montrealers be happy with an anglophone coach is what I'm trying to understand.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:36 AM
  #104
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
My point is the fact that the media has said "More French," and people wanting that is just as bad as Don Cherry saying Europeans are soft. Who cares what they speak, the best suited person should be behind the bench.
No. If Cherry would have promoted the fact that he prefers Canadian players, he would not have got the bad publicity that he got. Instead, he chose to diss Europeans and even Quebecers in the process.

So what's comparable is our media that disses euros and russians. So there are nothing bad to promote local players, I mean everybody is entitled to their opinion and if you want to beleive that local players would do better, well so be it. But you don't have to diss the others in the process.

As far as the best that should be there, sure. Probably in the case of a guy like Lindy Ruff I would agree. But who else? How is Bob Hartley worst than Ted Nolan? The day that people will understand that the Habs coach is talking more to the media than the prime minister, well maybe it will become clearer. Why would you have a unilingual anglophone to run this province if he'd be the best at it? 'Cause chances are the "best" also means being able in this province where Hockey is talked about 24/7 365 days a year, to be able to communicate with the fans in both languages.

Sorry but the gap between the coaches is not that important so you'd disregard the language factor. Unless you have a candidate like Lindy Ruff who I like very much. Again, it makes me laugh that whenever there's some talks about hiring a french coach or having more french players AUTOMATICALLY means that those french people won't do the job properly. Clearly nobody want a prospect, a player or a coach that sucks just for the sake of hearing say Merci beaucoup.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:45 AM
  #105
compile
Give me Scotch!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vaughan, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,579
vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Oh I never said, I don't want more French Canadians.
I like Lats and Lappy, find me 15 more guys like that and I'll love it.

Just when the organization itself says "more french," its like they are limiting themselves.
Maybe if the coach focused less on the media and more on the coaching aspect of the business, maybe just maybe, we wouldn't have lazy players on the bench.


I'm all for more french players/coaches. It was just meant to start a discussion God if i didn't like the French, why the hell would I be a Habs fan?

Now lets go to Buffalo and start stirring the pot to get Ruff fired...

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 11:03 AM
  #106
Erngueva
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
Funny how Quebec is part of Canada. Canada speaks English...the language of money is English. People in Quebec speak English.

So why is it an issue with majority of Quebecois? Or do you guys just like being different from the rest of the country that feeds your mouths?

If there is another Franco-phone coach/GM that is chosen over a competent, successful English coach, then I refuse to watch hockey in general.

Its not better then the BS that I have to see, read and hear about European Football.
With your current mindset (as is any francophone who will be choose will not be a good choice)... you better start watching wrestling or baseball.

Erngueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
  #107
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,632
vCash: 500
It really sucks because there is literally no promising french speaking coaches... if there was, I'd be all for it:

- Hartley (if this team didn't respond to Carbo... Hartley would be a nightmare)
- Craword (epic fail as a coach since he won the Cup with Colorado in 96)
- Roy (would be a disaster of Barry Melrose proportions)
- Savard (As green of a coach as Carbo was... though I wouldn't mind him as an assistant)
- Therrien (LOL)

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:16 PM
  #108
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Marc Crawford or Bob Hartley with Don Lever as an assistant and Francois Allaire as the goalie coach.

Lever coached most of the Habs players in Hamilton and he knows what they are capable of and how to get them to play too. He should be kept around in some capacity.

Melanson is ruining Price. He isn't making him better with his methods so time to get rid of him and get someone who will get results.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 12:19 PM
  #109
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots73 View Post
So we should turn our back on Canadien history and say that Anglo coached teams like Toe Blake and Dick Irvin were a mistake? Were these dark days for you because they did not speak French? The language of the coach should not be a factor as long as we're winning Stanley Cups 4 and 5 times in a row or anytime for that matter.

By your line of thinking, you're taking out a former Canadiens Captain in Kirk Muller out of the running and the coach who helped build the play of many of the youngsters on the squad in Hamilton with Don Lever; both being assistants right now.

Just because they can not conduct a media scrum in two languages with those who continue to deface the franchise on a repeated basis, that's enough for you to take them totally out of consideration for coaching this team?

It's hockey and this political crap is what's not acceptable. Next thing there will be a bill introduced to dictate who's employed and plays on the team if we keep going at this rate.

The fact that we could have a head coach who doesn't speak french may be a blessing for the Habs....if the coach doesn't speak french, then he won't have to deal with the french media and their bullsh** stories that bash players and ruin team chemistry.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
  #110
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
It really sucks because there is literally no promising french speaking coaches... if there was, I'd be all for it:

- Hartley (if this team didn't respond to Carbo... Hartley would be a nightmare)
- Craword (epic fail as a coach since he won the Cup with Colorado in 96)
- Roy (would be a disaster of Barry Melrose proportions)
- Savard (As green of a coach as Carbo was... though I wouldn't mind him as an assistant)
- Therrien (LOL)
Hartley: why do you think it would be a nightmare? Have you ever been coach as a professional by the guy? Patrick Roy was and he can't stop raving about him.

- Crawford: some hockey people love the guy. Must be a reason.
- Roy: why would it be a disaster? Go ask his junior players if they hate the guy.
- Savard: he's best suited as a talent evaluator.
- Therrien: hate the guy, known players who have been coached by him, and he's well disliked by the majority. So we agree on this one.

deandebean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
  #111
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,348
vCash: 500
And for the Don Lever lovers here: what the hell did he do in Montreal while he was here? All I saw was a team that won 6 games in 20.

deandebean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:10 PM
  #112
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,348
vCash: 500
Best (and most probable combo, in my books) combo would be:

Hartley head coach
(keep Muller as an assistant)
Desjardins as a blue-line coach
Allaire goalie coach
And bring an x and o's assistant. There are solid technicians in the minors and in the league.

deandebean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
  #113
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Best (and most probable combo, in my books) combo would be:

Hartley head coach
(keep Muller as an assistant)
Desjardins as a blue-line coach
Allaire goalie coach
And bring an x and o's assistant. There are solid technicians in the minors and in the league.
To be honest, I think Hartley could be a good coach depending on the players he has. He's known to be a hard, strict and tough coach.
Now, one might think that's exactly what our youngsters need.
But I'm not sure if they would react well to his methods. I don't know who we'll re-sign, but if we keep the same guys, I don't see our veterans responding well to him either.

Seriously, I think Dubé is the right man for so many reasons.

Head Coach: Dany Dubé
Assistant Coach: Larry Robinson (crossing fingers, although highly unlikely). I think it's important to go after an experienced guy if your head coach is green.
Defensive coach: Desjardins or Laperriere.
Goalie coach: Roy or Allaire.

Now, my picks are probably not going to happen. If they do, I'll buy a 6/49 ticket right away.

One could also make the argument that if we're able to lure Robinson here, might as well just give him the head coach position.
But looking at what happened to him in Jersey, I'm not sure he'd cope well with the pressure and media frenzy that comes around the head coach in our market.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
  #114
vokiel
No trades with EDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 7,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
Is there really a need to only sign French Canadian coaches?
...
No

However, Hiring someone who can speak french would be showing a great of respect for the customers who make this team profitable every
year.

Honestly if you people don't like Montreal, the people and the city, you should be fans of another team.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:03 PM
  #115
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Hartley: why do you think it would be a nightmare? Have you ever been coach as a professional by the guy? Patrick Roy was and he can't stop raving about him.

- Crawford: some hockey people love the guy. Must be a reason.
- Roy: why would it be a disaster? Go ask his junior players if they hate the guy.
- Savard: he's best suited as a talent evaluator.
- Therrien: hate the guy, known players who have been coached by him, and he's well disliked by the majority. So we agree on this one.
Hartley's players eventually tuned him out in Colorado and Atlanta. He's a "my way or the highway" kind of guy... much like Carbo and we all saw how that turned out.

Crawford was a young coach who enjoyed early sucess and got hyped up because he was the youngest coach in NHL history to win a cup. Ever since then he's failed to live up to the hype.

As for Roy... ask yourself this: Do you really think his personality is suited towards being an good NHL coach? The last thing we need is a guy who will bring even MORE fodder for the Montreal Media

IMO... this team needs more of an even-keel, X's and O's coach to get this team to buy into a system and identity... not a cerebral guy who's always struggling with his players.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:16 PM
  #116
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,313
vCash: 500
I hope our coach is Ying Yang Yong and wins us a Cup.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:38 PM
  #117
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,303
vCash: 500
Updated candidates after reading through some posts :

French speaking candidates :

Lemaire
Hartley
Crawford
Therrien
Savard
Roy
Dube

Non-french speaking candidates :

Quinn
Nolan
Laviolette
Lever

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
  #118
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Updated candidates after reading through some posts :

French speaking candidates :

Lemaire - Won't coach in Montreal - Hates the media !
Hartley - Best candidate
Crawford - What has he done lately ?
Therrien - Are you kidding ?
Savard - Which one ? André or Denis ? - No way !
Roy - Not another rookie coach for sure
Dube - Broadcasters becoming NHL coach don't go well...

Non-french speaking candidates :

Quinn - Never won anything at NHL level - Old -
Nolan - How come NO ONE ever signed him again ?
Laviolette - Hartley has won a Cup too
Lever
Assistant-coach at best at NHL level

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 06:06 PM
  #119
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
This has been debated so much here...

I think the bottomline is I can understand why anglophones don't care, but a lot of francophones do, and anglophones are going to have to accept that the majority of the fans are francophones, therefore the next coach will most probably be able to speak French.

By the way, the comparison with Scotty Bowman is wrong for two reasons. First, Scotty Bowman speaks french. Second, even though Scotty Bowman obviously is one of the best coaches in NHL history, you have to admit the comparison is unfair to the other coaches because he coached an team filled with superstars and Hall-of-Famers.
Accept your parochialism? You know, the greater New York metropolitan area has a much larger population than Québec. yet the fans of the four major sports never insisted on having a local coach for the Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, or Nets. Besides, having a francophone coach who isn't fluent in English would be a greater liability in the NHL than having one who doesn't speak French.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 06:38 PM
  #120
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Updated candidates after reading through some posts :

French speaking candidates :

Lemaire
Hartley
Crawford
Therrien
Savard
Roy
Dube

Non-french speaking candidates :

Quinn
Nolan
Laviolette
Lever
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Assistant-coach at best at NHL level
Chances are it will be one of these guys though...just trying to formulate a list

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:23 PM
  #121
happyhab*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Has to be Nolan......look at what this guy did with a horrible Islanders team, french or no french this guy will make the team work

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:28 PM
  #122
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Accept your parochialism? You know, the greater New York metropolitan area has a much larger population than Québec. yet the fans of the four major sports never insisted on having a local coach for the Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, or Nets. Besides, having a francophone coach who isn't fluent in English would be a greater liability in the NHL than having one who doesn't speak French.
It's not about origins, it's about having a coach who can speak to the fans in their own language. No one cares where he comes from.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
  #123
superstar436
Registered User
 
superstar436's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
To be honest, I think Hartley could be a good coach depending on the players he has. He's known to be a hard, strict and tough coach.
Now, one might think that's exactly what our youngsters need.
But I'm not sure if they would react well to his methods. I don't know who we'll re-sign, but if we keep the same guys, I don't see our veterans responding well to him either.

Seriously, I think Dubé is the right man for so many reasons.

Head Coach: Dany Dubé
Assistant Coach: Larry Robinson (crossing fingers, although highly unlikely). I think it's important to go after an experienced guy if your head coach is green.
Defensive coach: Desjardins or Laperriere.
Goalie coach: Roy or Allaire.

Now, my picks are probably not going to happen. If they do, I'll buy a 6/49 ticket right away.

One could also make the argument that if we're able to lure Robinson here, might as well just give him the head coach position.
But looking at what happened to him in Jersey, I'm not sure he'd cope well with the pressure and media frenzy that comes around the head coach in our market.
If I am not mistaken Dube tried in the juniors at the end of 90s and he failed. Don't know why he would succeed in NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Hartley's players eventually tuned him out in Colorado and Atlanta. He's a "my way or the highway" kind of guy... much like Carbo and we all saw how that turned out.

Crawford was a young coach who enjoyed early sucess and got hyped up because he was the youngest coach in NHL history to win a cup. Ever since then he's failed to live up to the hype.

As for Roy... ask yourself this: Do you really think his personality is suited towards being an good NHL coach? The last thing we need is a guy who will bring even MORE fodder for the Montreal Media

IMO... this team needs more of an even-keel, X's and O's coach to get this team to buy into a system and identity... not a cerebral guy who's always struggling with his players.
Hartley is a my way or highway guy, but he much better than carbo in X and Os. Also, he is known to play his top players lots of minutes. This will shut them up somehow, especially with all the underachievers that are here. In colorado there was Sakic and Forsberg. In ATL it was kovalchuk, with the habs I see no on of this level.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:14 AM
  #124
guapo23
Registered User
 
guapo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country:
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
Look, I totally agree they have to hire the best candidate available. I never said they had to hire a francophone or whatever. However, if that candidate is an anglophone, I think that person should make an effort to learn basic French.

Why are we even discussing this? When you get a job where you're constantly speaking with the media and, through the media, to the fans, you make an effort to learn their language. Who here would, as the coach of say AC Milan, wouldn't want to learn Italian? It's just showing courtesy and respect to the fans.
You are totally missing the point.
Nobody is saying hire a coach that can't speak French
and make sure that he NEVER learns to speak it.

We are saying hire the best coach avaialable.
If he doesn;t speak french, give him french lessons, a translator, a press secretary or whatever to help his relations with the media.

Talking to the media is not the important part of the equation.
It is way more important to get the best coach possible
who can instill some heart, work ethic and desire to win into the gutless wonders playing for the Habs.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:23 AM
  #125
guapo23
Registered User
 
guapo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country:
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
It's not about origins, it's about having a coach who can speak to the fans in their own language. No one cares where he comes from.
Since when is a coach's job to speak to the fans ?
The coach's job is to coach the players and win hockey games.

The fans are not entitled to have the coach constantly speaking to them.
This sense of entitlement from fans is very frustrating to see.

Can we just get back to playing hockey and stop with
the constant paparazzi media assault !!!!!

I think from now on the Habs coaches should not do any TV interviews.
They should just send out press releases translated into English & French.
Reporters can submit questions via email.

Problem solved.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.