HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Carbo gets Standing Ovation!

Old
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
OT: Carbo gets Standing Ovation!

Did anyone watched the L'Adsiq trophies Gala last night? Each year they do this big Award Show to award the best in the field of television and it was presented on Quebec's Top Network "TVA". When it was time to give the trophy for "Best Sport Broadcaster", here comes Guy Carbonneau as presenter to give the award and the place errupted! I had never seen anything like this, all the stars of television and fans were cheering him and there was even a lot of Olé Olé Olé in the crowd. Guy was incredibly moved.

I didn't even liked his coaching style but I was choked up.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Artyukhin*

general manager?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Fire Brunet*

I thought it was stupid when they started chanting "ole ole ole". I mean c'mon...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
I thought it was stupid when they started chanting "ole ole ole". I mean c'mon...
I thought it was charming. It was like they were re-calling a time when the Habs were doing well(like last season?).

Old
04-27-2009, 06:20 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

I saw a picture of him with my girlfriend's step-mother taken that night. He looked happy and good!

What a guy, I wish we still had him. (I'm not a flip-flopper I was pro-Carbo right till the bitter end. I hate Koivu and the rest of the team for it)

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I thought it was charming. It was like they were re-calling a time when the Habs were doing well(like last season?).
Thought it was great as well. Kinda make me wanted to jump to next year's season already.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 06:25 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Did anyone watched the Artis trophies Gala last night? Each year they do this big Award Show to award the best in the field of television and it was presented on Quebec's Top Network "TVA". When it was time to give the trophy for "Best Sport Broadcaster", here comes Guy Carbonneau as presenter to give the award and the place errupted! I had never seen anything like this, all the stars of television and fans were cheering him and there was even a lot of Olé Olé Olé in the crowd. Guy was incredibly moved.

I didn't even liked his coaching style but I was choked up.
Fixed...

I know that Guy A. Lepage made other enemies out there

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Fixed...

I know that Guy A. Lepage made other enemies out there
Oh year L'Adsiq has to do with music.

Old
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

anyone saw Chantale Machabee on tout le monde en parle

"corson c'est un champion"

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post

Yea wow he got naked in front of her because she was a chick reporter. That guy was a lowlife. The Avery thing was nothing compared to this. Anyway yea she was impressed!

Old
04-27-2009, 06:34 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
What a guy, I wish we still had him. (I'm not a flip-flopper I was pro-Carbo right till the bitter end. I hate Koivu and the rest of the team for it)

I understand the love for him, and I wish somehow it all could've worked out, but to hate Koivu? Don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post

I understand the love for him, and I wish somehow it all could've worked out, but to hate Koivu? Don't know what you got 'til it's gone.
The players were to blame since the change of coach made NADA difference. And Koivu, who is supposed to control his group of players let things go badly again.

You probably never saw it on TV, but he critisised twice Carbonneau for the bowling in Edmonton thing. I never saw that from a captain. And when you hear that Koivu is very close to Gillett's son, then you start guessing what really happened. This might be false, but no one now can put the blame on other people than the players themselves.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post

Koivu lost the team every bit as much as Carbo did.
Koivu was a good captain... in 2006. Koivu was a decent 2nd line center... in 2006.

If he can get all this support (from the city, organization, league) for being the captain of the Montreal Canadiens, he should hold up his end of the bargain at least. Lead this god forsaken team.

Koivu is another topic.

Carbo's system was not that good, we didn't have much of a system it was just a modified trap. Supposed to be a 2-1-2 (it was last season) but this season they players sucked so he reverted to a 1-2-2 and those are bad. Problem was that Our D is weak (mentally and physically) so all the 2 on 2's became scoring chances. More scoring chances against = more goals against = less goals for (time of possession and all).

That being said, he was a good coach and a feirce competitor. I'm certain that he'll be recognized in the league in a management position soon. He's too good, too smart, too passionate not to be.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post

No offense to those who like her (I know there is a lot), but I've seen her bashing some Habs player and 20 minutes later, doing the warm-up interview with the same player and saying and opposite. She's a ***** and an ugly one.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
No offense to those who like her (I know there is a lot), but I've seen her bashing some Habs player and 20 minutes later, doing the warm-up interview with the same player and saying and opposite. She's a ***** and an ugly one.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 07:38 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
The players were to blame since the change of coach made NADA difference. And Koivu, who is supposed to control his group of players let things go badly again.

You probably never saw it on TV, but he critisised twice Carbonneau for the bowling in Edmonton thing. I never saw that from a captain. And when you hear that Koivu is very close to Gillett's son, then you start guessing what really happened. This might be false, but no one now can put the blame on other people than the players themselves.
I wonder if it was because it was a stupid thing to do? The "room" has an all out reaming of each other and the best the coach could do instead of finding a solution was to go bowling? And you are defending this?

When a coach says: I have no solution for the PP so I'm playing lines intact it is because he is a useless coach. When a coach says: I don't know what else I can do it is because he is a useless coach and it was ultimately the nail in his coffin. When your GM has to make the hard choices and keep Kovy away from the team only to prove it isn't he who is the problem: you are a bad coach. When the francophone players are asking to be moved, do not know what is being asked of them, what the expectations are or they have no clearly defined roles then the coach is just useless.

You can pin it on Koivu all you want but there was more than one player complaining and you conveniently point to Koivu instead of Lats, Begin, Dandy or any other Francophone that voiced their opinion out loud. It is easier to imply that because Koivu "knew" Gillett's son it was the cause and led to Carbo's firing.

It had nothing to do with Carbo blowing as a coach or the Francophone players speaking OUT loud it was just Koivu and his relationship with Foster that got Carbo fired.

Yeah that's very credible. That or maybe you just guessed wrong.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
I wonder if it was because it was a stupid thing to do? The "room" has an all out reaming of each other and the best the coach could do instead of finding a solution was to go bowling? And you are defending this?

When a coach says: I have no solution for the PP so I'm playing lines intact it is because he is a useless coach. When a coach says: I don't know what else I can do it is because he is a useless coach and it was ultimately the nail in his coffin. When your GM has to make the hard choices and keep Kovy away from the team only to prove it isn't he who is the problem: you are a bad coach. When the francophone players are asking to be moved, do not know what is being asked of them, what the expectations are or they have no clearly defined roles then the coach is just useless.

You can pin it on Koivu all you want but there was more than one player complaining and you conveniently point to Koivu instead of Lats, Begin, Dandy or any other Francophone that voiced their opinion out loud. It is easier to imply that because Koivu "knew" Gillett's son it was the cause and led to Carbo's firing.

It had nothing to do with Carbo blowing as a coach or the Francophone players speaking OUT loud it was just Koivu and his relationship with Foster that got Carbo fired.

Yeah that's very credible. That or maybe you just guessed wrong.
My thoughts exactly.

Carbo is seen as a martyr because he's a French Canadian coach who lost his job. Poor guy huh? If he was an anglophone, they would have called for his head. He was a bad coach. Maybe he'll become a good one somewhere else.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Carbo is seen as a martyr because he's a French Canadian coach who lost his job. Poor guy huh? If he was an anglophone, they would have called for his head. He was a bad coach. Maybe he'll become a good one somewhere else.
He's seen as a martyr for many reasons. One because people genuinely loved him. Second they saw what happened to him as an unfair treatement. Third because they remember how it was great last year and Carbo was part of that.

Old
04-27-2009, 07:54 PM
streetster17

Carbo is a good coach. he just wasn't the right one for this team

streetster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 07:58 PM
TomPlex

I love people who say that firing Carbo made no difference whatsoever. As if everything is measured in wins...

The guys were playing harder under Gainey once he got them going. Carbo had Markov, Schneider and Tanguay for the majority of the season and his team still underperformed. IMHO, if Gainey had the entire team healthy when rolling into the playoffs, we would've won that first round.

Remember the game against Tampa? That was one of the BEST efforts I have ever seen from the Habs in my life. That was under Gainey, not Carbo. I don't recall a game under Carbo that could match that one.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 08:02 PM
tiredman

The team was 4th or 5th in the east when Carbo got fired. With Gainey, we almost missed the playoffs. Who's the bad coach ? I personally think that's the guy who played Laraque on the 1st line in the playoffs for 2 entire games.

That's the reason Carbo got a standing ovation. He was an excellent coach. A winner. And a guy who lost his job for no reason.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 08:10 PM
habdynasty

Babcock is a better coach than both of them

Hartley will be the next coach in Montreal....

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
The team was 4th or 5th in the east when Carbo got fired. With Gainey, we almost missed the playoffs. Who's the bad coach ? I personally think that's the guy who played Laraque on the 1st line in the playoffs for 2 entire games.

That's the reason Carbo got a standing ovation. He was an excellent coach. A winner. And a guy who lost his job for no reason.
Lol we were fifth and 2 points away from 9th. Come on
If we lost vs Dallas we were back in Montreal 9th in the East.

This team actually started to play good when Gainey all met them individually. They played better under Gainey during that 5-0-1 stretch that they did all year long under Carbo.

Someone that makes up lines based on who wins a bowling game, someone who doesn't know what to do at all so he actually takes the team bowling, someone who's only solution to try to win is to put 4th liners spread throughout the lineup and on the PP, who gives 20 minutes a game to his grinders and whines for weeks that he has no solutions and doesn't know what to do...
well...someone like that is not a good coach.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 08:14 PM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post

It's people like you who make me hate these boards.

Do you REALLY think the reason why we were 4th or 5th was because of great play under Carbo? They were lucky as **** at the beginning of the season, winning games they had no business winning. Price was playing well and stealing some games here and there. D'Agostini was scoring at a torrid pace. Tanguay and Lang (who was our leading goal scorer) were still around.

We almost missed the playoffs with Gainey because he was busy cleaning up Carbo's mess. When he inherited the team, they were still extremely fragile. He built up their confidence and allowed them to put together that string of games where they looked unbelievable. Those wins demontstrated the potential of an A-game Habs lineup (see: Tampa game).

I do not agree with Gainey's decision to play into the Bruins style of play by putting Laraque on the first line for both games. I don't think Gainey's an excellent coach. I definitely want a new, experienced and good coach next season. BUT, I do not agree with Carbo being a "excellent" coach as you called him. At best, he'll be a great assistant coach.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Belso

I always liked the player. So I will always wish him the best for those years. He does have to learn to be a better coach IMO, but the ovation was well deserved...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote