HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke's Off-Season Gameplan - D

Old
05-21-2009, 07:49 AM
sgupca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
I think that is a guy Burke will target as well.
I guess Beauchemin said he wants to play in Montreal

He said his top 2 choices were the Ducks and Habs....doesnt sound optimistic for us.

sgupca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 07:55 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
I've done a bit of research on Cowen and it doesn't look like he'll be ready for the start of next season.

I'd still love if the leafs drafted him, that being said he looks like a write-off for the 09/10 season (whomever drafts him)
Considering he missed most of the season, I doubt there are many NHL teams that felt Cowen was going to play in the NHL next season. Cowen will definantly play another year and junior to get back in game shape and continue to round out his game. Even without the injury, Cowen was likely heading back.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 07:58 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
I think that is a guy Burke will target as well.
But does Beauchemin want to come here?

I have also heard that Francois wants either Anahiem or Montreal.

I still think Bouwmeester is the guy to target. He and Schenn would look fantastic together but he too will likely choose elsewhere

Old
05-21-2009, 08:05 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Niedermayers to Vancouver.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279374

GM's tend to have relationships so:

If the Ducks lose Scotty N., could Burke be dealing one of the K's to the Ducks?

Of course there is always JayBou as UFA, but will Ducks get into a bidding war?

Or would someone like Stralman, young enough to grow with Getzlaf and gang be of interest?

A way to pick up a high draft pick?
If the Ducks were to lose Scotty I wouldn't expect them to rush out and get a high priced replacement. The Ducks would love to have their captain back but definantly at a reduced price. The Ducks could use a little cap relief and if the Niedermayer bros did walk they could use that extra money to re-sign someone like Beauchemin and bring in a top 6 forward.

The Ducks really don't need an Anton Stralman, this is a team with Gardiner, Mitera, Festerling and Mikkelson in the system. You can probably expect 2 or the 4 to be regulars.

The Niedermayers would definantly be interesting in Vancouver, it seems realistic because I think Scotty definantly wants to play for Canada in Vancouver and that is the reason he is actually playing next season.

Old
05-21-2009, 08:11 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Ron Hainsey got 4.5 a year, Imagine what the top few you mentioned will command

Granted, the economy is much more terrifying this year, however is all the more reason for us to not throw ourselves into the unkown and overspend.

We need to simply rebuild from within by adding nothing more then depth talent through free agency and let our top end young kids play the most minutes (Schenn, White, Stralman)

Free agents only fill a need and eliminates urgency to develop kids, I believe we need a kick in the @$$ to force us to do things right and signing quick fixes doesnt do it.
Why do you keep using "we" and "us".? I thought you gave up on the Leafs and became a fan of some other team.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 08:31 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
If the Ducks were to lose Scotty I wouldn't expect them to rush out and get a high priced replacement. The Ducks would love to have their captain back but definantly at a reduced price. The Ducks could use a little cap relief and if the Niedermayer bros did walk they could use that extra money to re-sign someone like Beauchemin and bring in a top 6 forward.

The Ducks really don't need an Anton Stralman, this is a team with Gardiner, Mitera, Festerling and Mikkelson in the system. You can probably expect 2 or the 4 to be regulars.
I mentioned Kaberle, and you bring up high priced replacement.

Kaberle is not a high priced defender.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 08:45 AM
AlMo

Quote:
I mentioned Kaberle, and you bring up high priced replacement.

Kaberle is not a high priced defender.
Sorry let me re-phrase, I don't see them bringing in a Kaberle. I'm not saying Anahiem wouldn't have interest I just think the Ducks have more important slots to fill. They will have as many as 9 UFA's this offseason and about 6 RFA's to sign. James Wisniewski and Erik Christensen are the key RFA's to sign and I'm sure they will get an increase from the 900K and 750K they are currently making. They are likely going to try and bring back Beachemin who will make more than the 1.6 million he made last season.

I also think the Ducks have to start putting together a second line. Aside from an aging Selanne (who may retire) the Ducks have very little scoring behind the big 3. Ryan Whitney plays a similar role to that of Kaberle so I don't see the urgency.

Pronger
Whitney
Wisniewski
Festerling
Mikkelson
Beauchemin (if he re-signs ofcourse)
Brookbank

Better?

Old
05-21-2009, 08:56 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Sorry let me re-phrase, I don't see them bringing in a Kaberle. I'm not saying Anahiem wouldn't have interest I just think the Ducks have more important slots to fill. They will have as many as 9 UFA's this offseason and about 6 RFA's to sign. James Wisniewski and Erik Christensen are the key RFA's to sign and I'm sure they will get an increase from the 900K and 750K they are currently making. They are likely going to try and bring back Beachemin who will make more than the 1.6 million he made last season.

I also think the Ducks have to start putting together a second line. Aside from an aging Selanne (who may retire) the Ducks have very little scoring behind the big 3. Ryan Whitney plays a similar role to that of Kaberle so I don't see the urgency.

Pronger
Whitney
Wisniewski
Festerling
Mikkelson
Beauchemin (if he re-signs ofcourse)
Brookbank

Better?
I believe Selanne signed his current contract after age 35, so he's on the books this year whether he retires or not.

If Niedermayer leaves, they're in poor shape defensively.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Top priority is to do anything to get Vincent Lecavalier.
Absolutley not!

Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 09:26 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I'm all for JayBo in, MVR and Kubina out

JayBo-Schenn
Kaberle-Finger
White, Strahlman, Frogren, Oreskevic in the 5-7 spots, all low salary players

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Barilko14

There could be quite a few changes to the Leafs D core over the next few years. The only untouchables right now would be Schenn, and Finger (unmovable now). If there are some bodies moved out in this off season, meaning one or both of the K's, Van Ryn, White or Stralman, some of these guys are possible targets for Burke as replacements.
I don't think Bouwmeester will come here so he's out. We definitely need some LD. All these players are under 30.
1. I think he would target Beauchemin as a top 4 for around 3M if Kubina or Kaberle was dealt. Another top 4 option would be Leopold for between 2.5-3M if Kaberle was dealt.
2. Oduya would be a 2nd or 3rd pairing option depending on who's still around that would provide some size, toughness, and has shown some ability to put up some points, would be looking in the 2M ballpark. Foster would be an option if you couldn't get Oduya, probably for around 1.5 +.
3. Some third pairing/7th Dmen options, that would bring size, and toughness would be Adam Pardy who is only 25, or Matt Walker 29, both would be available for well under 1M.

Barilko14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:02 AM
ugotmybeef*

jaybo is a pipe dream to the fans who want him. I think he's overrated by the masses and is not worth what he will get. I don't think any of our players earn their contract.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
mooseOAK*

Anyone who has had to suffer through a Jay Bouwmeester interview should be able to tell that he hates media attention so Toronto is an unlikely place for him to end up.

Last edited by Squiffy: 05-21-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: opps.. didn't actually edit anything, hit wrong button
mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:38 AM
AlMo

Quote:
I believe Selanne signed his current contract after age 35, so he's on the books this year whether he retires or not.

If Niedermayer leaves, they're in poor shape defensively.

Any team that loses a "Scott Niedermayer" is worse off defensively

Old
05-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Kencaid

i don't think j-bo and TML are a good fit. As already pointed out he doesnt seem to enjoy media coverage, and whenever he seems to be placed in high pressure situations he has seemed so far in his career to really collapse under pressure. That should be taken with a grain of salt however, he is still very young, and he still hasnt reached the playoffs. The only real examples of high pressure situations for him coming from a non-hockey area is in the AHL and this year's playoff push. He played 18 AHL playoff games and did nothing for all 18 of them (literally did nothing, 0 pts in all 18), after seeming to be a regular contributor in the regular season. This year his play seemed to decline when the pressure was on to make the playoffs.

The fact he is young is great, but to get him your gonna have to pay him a lot, for a long time. Though he is probly a regular season beast, do you feel that it is worth the risk to through big money with a long term deal to someone who may become a playoff flop?? He is big, which is a great advantage in the playoffs especially, but he plays a smooth fast skating game style (kinda like campbell but tougher) which is worry some, as brian campbell is a pile of **** in the playoffs.

I am not saying we shouldnt go after the guy, or that he is a bad player ect...I am just trying to show ppl the other side of the coin that HF boards seems to ignore sometimes.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 09:26 PM
BIG BLUE

it's Beauchemin...rugged player that Burke obviously loves...

but only if you are flipping Kabs and/or Kubina out of town for other valuable assets...

otherwise, we don't need to add more $$ to the defense.

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:44 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
jaybo is a pipe dream to the fans who want him. I think he's overrated by the masses and is not worth what he will get. I don't think any of our players earn their contract.
I couldn't agree more with your view on JayBo. This guy is all hype. He'd failed miserably in T.O. I want nothing to do with him on the leafs. We'd pay 2 million more for a less physical McCabe. We already have him in Kubina. He brings nothing to the team that we don't already have. Yes we could trade Kubina and sign him I understand as much. I hope we don't.

Our players earn their money as much as any other hockey player. I don't understand that comment you made at all.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote