HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do they make senior sticks with a low amount of flex?

Old
04-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Escapades

vCash: 500
Do they make senior sticks with a low amount of flex?

Today at hockey there was a guy there who had a Senior length stick that had a very low flex, like around 50 or 60. I was just wondering if these sticks actually exist and if so where I could get one? I'm cursed with being all height and not much muscle so something like this would be cool.

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:37 PM
RJC

70ish flex it the lowest

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Escapades

Ya right now im using a 77 flex

Old
04-18-2009, 08:48 PM
ShootIt

The only thing I can think of is getting an intermediate stick and then buying an end plug.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Escapades

That sir, is a good idea

Old
04-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Crosbyfan

High number = Low Flex

Sounds like you want Low number, High Flex

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:00 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
A 75 flex isn't enough flex for you? Try a few pushups. Your only other option is to get an intermediate and an extender.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Escapades

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
A 75 flex isn't enough flex for you? Try a few pushups. Your only other option is to get an intermediate and an extender.
A 75 flex is fine for me I just thought of the possibility because I heard that Ovechkin ( I love how the spelling suggestions they give are munchkin and lovechild ) uses an 85 flex and is about 220 pounds so I thought I could try a stick for myself that has the same proportion of flex for my body weight.

Old
04-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldakid View Post
70ish flex it the lowest
Bauer makes an intermediate Bauer Supreme One95 that has a 60 flex. Scroll down and check the drop down menu, they have 60 and up.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nike-bau...ickum-int.html

Not sure if it is cool to post links to other websites or anything here. I am not associated with this website so it isn't spam I guess is what I am saying.

they also have other makes of intermediate (intermediate because of flex and not quality) sticks.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapades View Post
A 75 flex is fine for me I just thought of the possibility because I heard that Ovechkin ( I love how the spelling suggestions they give are munchkin and lovechild ) uses an 85 flex and is about 220 pounds so I thought I could try a stick for myself that has the same proportion of flex for my body weight.
Yeah, but he breaks sticks like crazy. Can you afford to go through sticks like that? I know I can't.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:35 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

I think easton makes a few with lower numbers as well.

Keep in mind, the more of the stick you have to trim to meet your height, the higher the number goes, the stiffer the stick gets.

Smaller players like myself have to cut off a fair amount, so something like an 85 flex is up over 100 by the time all is said and done.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:45 PM
noobman

Ovechkin is a good shooter because he's incredibly strong and has great technique. He can also fire off shots in positions that very few players in the NHL can fire off shots.

Using a 60 flex with your size will not result in an Ovechkin-like shot. What you *will* end up with is a hefty credit card bill from all the sticks you've had to replace.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 01:03 PM
SirJW

Plus accuracy is compromised w/ lower flex.

SirJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Escapades

I just did 60 push-ups, just for you guys

Old
04-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

what are the CCM stick flex conversions? They don't list numbers...

Light flex = ?
Mid flex = ?
Regular flex = 85
Stiff flex = ?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:17 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Flex chart

Ovechkin doesn't break a lot of sticks because they are 85 flex, he breaks them because he is hard on them. There are a LOT of guys that use 85 flex or lower in the NHL and don't break a ton of sticks.

Brett Hull - 65-75 flex sticks
Phil Kessel - 75 flex sticks now, previously he used intermediate sticks.
Lecavalier - 85 flex up to about 4 years ago.

For pro stock TPS has/had two flexes lower than what they call a "Whip" and a "Strong Whip" for pros that want something lower than 85 flex... and they arent ridiculously hard to find as you'd probably assume.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

And you won't be breaking sticks constantly unless you're ridiculously strong and chopping the ice way before your shot.

Easton's 70 flex shaft is the whippiest senior flex I've found. You could try intermediates if you are fine with the smaller shaft diameter.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:10 AM
playbedar

Send a message via MSN to playbedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post

Light flex = ?
Mid flex = ?
Regular flex = 85
Stiff flex = ?
X-Stiff flex = 110

That's written on my stick

playbedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 02:09 PM
RJC

honestly i have a 75/77 flex 09 dolomite and its not even as close as flexible as my 85 flex s17..

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:51 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post

Light flex = ?
Mid flex = ?
Regular flex = 85
Stiff flex = ?
L - 65
M - 75
R - 90
S - 100
XS -110

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 07:43 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Flex chart

Ovechkin doesn't break a lot of sticks because they are 85 flex, he breaks them because he is hard on them. There are a LOT of guys that use 85 flex or lower in the NHL and don't break a ton of sticks.

Brett Hull - 65-75 flex sticks
Phil Kessel - 75 flex sticks now, previously he used intermediate sticks.
Lecavalier - 85 flex up to about 4 years ago.

For pro stock TPS has/had two flexes lower than what they call a "Whip" and a "Strong Whip" for pros that want something lower than 85 flex... and they arent ridiculously hard to find as you'd probably assume.

"Pro Stock" is a brand name, not actual pro stock with TPS. Afino is the only pro who uses a TPS whip. Of course a whip would be less then 85, what do you think a whip is.

No such thing as "strong whip"

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 11:55 AM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
"Pro Stock" is a brand name, not actual pro stock with TPS. Afino is the only pro who uses a TPS whip. Of course a whip would be less then 85, what do you think a whip is.

No such thing as "strong whip"
I'm not talking about the retail "Pro stock" sticks. I'm talking about REAL pro stock, used by NHLers. AND YES, there is a strong whip flex.

The flex options for PROs and available as pro stock/return TPS sticks are:
Whip
Strong Whip
Regular
Stiff
X-Stiff
XX-stiff

Old
04-25-2009, 12:12 PM
TBLfan

Here are pics...

Whip:

Strong Whip:

Regular:

Stiff:

X-stiff and XX-stiff are a lot harder to find.

Old
04-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Hockeyfan68

Whatever happened to someone just saying "I just like how it shoots". All this technical stuff is fine and dandy but won't do anything if a guy has poor mechanics to begin with.

The Overchkin breaking a lot sticks thing I heard it discussed in a Caps game from their home broadcast and they clearly stated he breaks them because they are a low flex and he is too strong for that flex but he uses them anyway because he likes the whip in them.

Also I went with 100+ flex when I bought composites this year on the recommendation of a former semi-pro player I trust whole heartedly who is a very VERY good player that I should get at least a 100 flex for my weight of 235 lbs or I will be throwing my money away because of broken composite sticks. That made sense since I have always used a 100 flex stick or better, seemed silly to not even think of that when I was looking for a composite stick. I should have realized things would be the same even though the technology is better today with composites.

I think composites do break easier than the old wood sticks and one could get away with a low flex on a wood stick and not worry about it breaking. I have seen many wood sticks break taking a face off on the backhand contrary to the old guys who say wood sticks never broke. They did break.

I know some of you guys here are knowledgable but this guy IS knowledgable and one I fully trust in whatever he says. He even told me to leave a pair of ice skates there and not to buy them from HIS OWN STORE because he was out of stock on the better skate that support my weight better and not seperate at the heel.

He easily could have just taken my money and snickered. I've known him for years and have played with him on a few teams. he is good people and knows his stuff.

Anyway ... I have never been one to break many sticks as I have good mechanics. Sticks should break when they get slashed, shoit blocked or catching a one timer too far up on the toe if we are speaking of wood sticks. Just like catching a baseball at the end of a bat and the bat breaks.

Composites do break easier but honestly I have not had a problem after switching to composites in December and playing 2 or more games a week.

I am not even using the most expensive composites on the market. I buy good blades though but the shafts I use are Bauer Supreme One55s at $40 each.

I will be buying about 5 Bauer Supreme One95 shafts when they come in at about $90 each but will start off with just one first to see "how it shoots". I will buy the 102 flex as I know I will be cutting a couple of inches off the end of it so it will be about a 110-115 flex.

My closet full of aluminum shafts are all 100+ flexes from the late 80s and 1990s. None broke by the way and they are now vintage I guess haha .... I hung one up in my game room for decor.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-25-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 02:04 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Whatever happened to someone just saying "I just like how it shoots". All this technical stuff is fine and dandy but won't do anything if a guy has poor mechanics to begin with.

The Overchkin breaking a lot sticks thing I heard it discussed in a Caps game from their home broadcast and they clearly stated he breaks them because they are a low flex and he is too strong for that flex but he uses them anyway because he likes the whip in them.

Also I went with 100+ flex when I bought composites this year on the recommendation of a former semi-pro player I trust whole heartedly who is a very VERY good player that I should get at least a 100 flex for my weight of 235 lbs or I will be throwing my money away because of broken composite sticks. That made sense since I have always used a 100 flex stick or better, seemed silly to not even think of that when I was looking for a composite stick. I should have realized things would be the same even though the technology is better today with composites.

I think composites do break easier than the old wood sticks and one could get away with a low flex on a wood stick and not worry about it breaking. I have seen many wood sticks break taking a face off on the backhand contrary to the old guys who say wood sticks never broke. They did break.

I know some of you guys here are knowledgable but this guy IS knowledgable and one I fully trust in whatever he says. He even told me to leave a pair of ice skates there and not to buy them from HIS OWN STORE because he was out of stock on the better skate that support my weight better and not seperate at the heel.

He easily could have just taken my money and snickered. I've known him for years and have played with him on a few teams. he is good people and knows his stuff.

Anyway ... I have never been one to break many sticks as I have good mechanics. Sticks should break when they get slashed, shoit blocked or catching a one timer too far up on the toe if we are speaking of wood sticks. Just like catching a baseball at the end of a bat and the bat breaks.

Composites do break easier but honestly I have not had a problem after switching to composites in December and playing 2 or more games a week.

I am not even using the most expensive composites on the market. I buy good blades though but the shafts I use are Bauer Supreme One55s at $40 each.

I will be buying about 5 Bauer Supreme One95 shafts when they come in at about $90 each but will start off with just one first to see "how it shoots". I will buy the 102 flex as I know I will be cutting a couple of inches off the end of it so it will be about a 110-115 flex.

My closet full of aluminum shafts are all 100+ flexes from the late 80s and 1990s. None broke by the way and they are now vintage I guess haha .... I hung one up in my game room for decor.
Well, the thing it doens't seem like you realize is that "How it shoots" can be quantified with flex, balance and kickpoint. There are more elements to it, mostly relating to how the blade is constructed, but that's beside the point for this discussion.

The issue here isn't guys with bad mechanics trying to use a stick as a crutch. The issue is guys with at least decent mechanics trying to play around with a different setup to see how it affects their shot. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and wood sticks do break. I know a guy who broke 3 in a game once. Of course, the opposing center was going after his stick instead of the puck on faceoffs...

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote