HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jean-Sébastien Giguère

Old
04-28-2009, 07:05 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

vCash: 500
Jean-Sébastien Giguère

What is your opinion on him?
Would he be someone that the fans of Les Habitants would like to see between the pipes?
The reason I ask is the Ducks will be looking to shed some major dough this summer to keep their RFAs and a couple UFAs and Jonas Hiller has been the man in the playoffs.....
That said, Jean-Sébastien Giguère has a NTC and has a 6m cap hit for two more seasons. Ducks goalie coach François Allaire is a "free agent" this summer, so I am wondering if this could help Jean-Sébastien Giguère decide to waive his NTC if you guys land Allaire?
Would getting him make Price expendable to Tampa for Vincent Lecavalier?

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:14 AM
MonacoBlue

The Habs would take Allaire. As for Giggy, he's a good goalie but an expensive one. It's better for the Habs to spend the money elsewhere. Another defenceman wouldn't hurt.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:16 AM
DougHarvey

We do not need a 6 million dollar burden.We need a cheap experienced veteran goalie who can take Price under his wing.
The money can be better spent upgrading the defence.

I live in Montreal, but I can't understand why every French player is brought up here.I jear Andre Racicot wants to make a comeback and he'll be cheap too.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Riverboat Gambler

I don't think we should.

We're afforded the luxury of two servicable goalies for less than market value. We got satisfactory value from these goalies last year. As we made the play-offs. They are both young and improving (however quickly) so we can expect the same level of performance next year, perhaps even better.

Add to this, we will need to re-organize our team since we have a busy off-season ahead with many needs up front and on the blueline. That 6 mil will come in pretty handy.

I can't see it happening. I think we'll stick with what we got and spend on upgrading elsewhere. Give our young goalies another chance to show they're developing.

If there were a trade, realistically speaking, I'd expect Halak to go, given Gainey's affinity for Price. That'd be the first domino.

It's not a bad thought, but we have bigger needs.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Iwishihadacup

Allaire everyday, but Giguère never

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Megaforce

As a preventive measure, I've bought up all the red light bulbs in this town to discourage the Habs from re-signing Racicot.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:17 AM
tinyzombies

Halak is already giving Price competition to raise his game, just resign him. In a non-cap world, I would love Giggy here though.

We need that money elsewhere though.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:22 AM
TheCH*

There is no point in bring him in. If our new coach felt it was proper for Giguere to be the number 1 then Gainey would intervene(just like he did when Julien and Carbo had a different opinion then Gainey about the goaltenders). BG needs to leave those decisions to the coaches..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:25 AM
tinyzombies

I still think Price is the man longterm, but Halak is capable of stealing the job. Giguere would only be a short-term solution anyway.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Does Giguere come with Getzlaf? No way I don't want Giguere,if that's the case I would rather the Habs spend big and go after Khabibulin if the Hawks wanna move him to keep huet

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Maxpac

No way for Giguère, way too expensive. With the ton of money and the early exit there's not a better time then right now to change the face of the franchise, either we get top line players or we build from within...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Clumsyhab

I'd take Legace before Giguere, since he's cheaper and Jiggy would want to play 60 games.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I wouldn't take Giguere if the Ducks offered him free. We don't need a goalie, and we especially don't need a cap-crippling goalie like Giguere. He would probably stand a pretty good chance of clearing waivers. As has been noted above, we need to spend our cap space elsewhere. Defense first.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote