HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs awful from top to bottom - Jack Todd

Old
04-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Die in a fire Jack Todd, Die in a fire.

(preferably next year during our riots after winning the cup)
You take a lightweight too seriously.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:57 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Usually, I don't agree with the draft dodger. But this time around, he's bang on.

See this: now, it's the anglophone-based media that is harping on Gainey. Talk about closing some big mouths here.
You need a reality check.

Jack Todd is as bad as it gets in the Montreal English media and he is nowhere close to Tremblay and Labbe. We won't mention the rotating clowns on 110% & l'antichambre.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:38 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You take a lightweight too seriously.
just thinking of better times...

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 02:51 AM
Miller Time

[QUOTE=habaholic;19324521]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
please do try, I'd like to here it.
I don't like Todd very much as a person or as a writer, but just about every point he made in that article is pretty accurate imo.

what is it that he said that you disagree with?

Almost everything?

One example, trying to make a point that the 50's & 60's went in expecting to win the Stantley Cup... a few things here, back in those day:

1- It was a 6 team league, obviouly making the playoffs was a given, and teams had 1 out of 6 chances of winning the cup.

2- They owned the top 2 french canadian picks in the draft. If today's habs were able to do that, we'd have drafted Mario Lemieux, Vinny Lecavalier, Roberto Luongo and others....obviously the talent level would be slightly different and it makes it a little easier to shoot for the Stanley cup knowing this.

3- The GM of the 50's and 60's teams didn't have to deal with a salary cap, foreign players and I bet you that scouting wasn't as "complicated"...but that's just a hunch

That's one point...feel free to tell me what you agree with and maybe I can persuade you otherwise.

1- 6 team league, and yet did any of those other 6 teams win anywhere near as many championships as the habs did?

2- as many others have pointed out, this myth is not entirely true to reality

3- the red wings deal with all those other issues today, but seem to be managing just fine.

but that aside, even if your 3 points were more convincing, they don't really challenge what he was saying.

He is arguing that the habs teams from the 50's-80's dealt with the expectations of winning every year (which, in following with your first point, would have been a MASSIVE level of expectation during the 50's with only a handful of teams competing, vs the 30 of today)...
Because of the way they handled themselves (by going out and winning consistently with "class, determination and talent"), it makes the excuses offered up by Gainey, including not being able to manage the pressure and expectations, sound pretty lame.

I agree with him.

Had Gainey come out and accepted responsibility and simply said "we tried, we wanted to win, we failed to live up to expectations, we are accountable", I don't know that as much criticism would have been deserved.
but to blame the miserable performance (of individuals, obviously the team struggled mightily with injuries) on the pressure, on the expectations... well that's just lame, and frankly, a criticism of his own work.

He obviously understands the legacy and heritage of the Habs, but if in 5+ years he hasn't been able to fill his roster with athletes capable of handling... of performing... of thriving under the pressure of playing for a team, for a fan base, that demands and expects excellence... well then what exactly is it that he's doing back there behind the GM bench?

Not every athlete can handle playing for THE Montreal Canadiens... or THE New York Yankees... or THE Los Angeles Lakers... The GM's job is to fill his roster with the type of guys who want to play on the biggest stage, to build a team that can fight to live up to the UNFAIR expectations, not one that crumbles under them.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Bullsmith

Can't stand Jack Todd. He covers hockey from the point of view of someone who doesn't enjoy hockey at all.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Astroboy

Most of this article is garbage....especially the bit on Price.

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:21 PM
MonacoBlue

We have a name for people like Jack Todd. What is it again? Oh yeah, MORON!

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:03 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Looks like a pretty biased and malicious article written on the basis of hearsay, rumor, and circumstantial evidence.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Turboflex*

Hack Todd does it again

Thanks for reminding me what a piece of trash newspaper the Gazette is you chicken**** 3rd rate loser.

BTW Jack Todd's draft dodgeing is fair game since he's such an ass to go on a crusade against Don Matthews who served in 'nam in the marine corps.

Todd = a complete loser who doesn't know anything about hockey. The Gazette deserves to go bankrupt after paying this guy a salary for years. Good riddance.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 01:27 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Exactly why I don't read any of the Montreal press any longer. They praised this team till January, claiming we were a contender. Now they found all these holes in the team, just because we went down first round to an excellent team.

Pathetic media, fueled by all us homer Hab fans who give them a job by reading their drivel.
I hope you don't forget that we were a very good team with depth, on paper, and then the injuries screwed us up bad. That's not an excuse, that's reality, that's what happened.

What would happen if Detroit would lose Datsiuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom just before the playoffs (not that the Habs players were equal to these all-stars, just an example)?

We had high expectations because the year before they finished 1st in the east, isn't normal to think that they would have finished 1st again this year ? It's not the medias that won the eastern title, the team was good when healthy.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Jack Todd's collumn, awful from top to bottom.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

He makes some good points but goes way overboard also.

You can't just dismiss guys like Markov, Schneider, Lang, Tanguay all being out as just a bump in the road. The Habs have pretty good depth but no team can replace a Markov without having it affect their play.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Andy

Jack Todd is a Jackass

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Posters on this board seem to think they are better critics of the Montreal Canadiens than the media. I don't really understand where that belief comes from. This board is far more bi-polar than the media, believe that. I think Todd's article was fair, and his comments about Price were apt. Price is an exceptionally talented individual with what seems to be a questionable attitude and a sense of entitlement. The comparison with Roy is fair in the sense that Roy was focused on winning above everything and was deadly serious. In the interview with Cabbie he just seemed so aloof and compliant, like he's worried about making people happy. Certainly this wouldn't matter if he was playing exceptionally well.
Price is imature, I'll give you that. Please stop comparing him to Roy.

Roy came in 86 without expectations or pressure. The Habs were not expected to win in 86, so they gave Roy the chance to get some experience since it was obvious that their #1 goalie Steve Penny wasn't cutting it. We won. Then expectations started to rise for him.

Price on the other hand was expected to deliver this year and didn't. Well it wasn't just him but he's still the guy getting crucified. (So that's why they call him Jesus Price)

Another difference, Roy had a very good defense in front of him in 1986. Price had Komisarek making mistakes he hadn't made in 4 years, Roman Hamrlik making a beautiful pass to Ryder to one-time in the slot, Brisebois, O'Byrne, Weber, Old Schneider, injured Bouillon, Superstar Dandenault (and I say this because all of a sudden everybody wants this guy back when they've been crying to get rid of him for 2 years+). How do you compare that to Robinson, Chelios, Svoboda, Ludwig, Green and Lalor.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 02:35 PM
GNick42

Habs are not really all that bad. Gainey had us back on right track after Carbo firing. Untill the injuries in Toronto game. No team can lose their best player and defenseman, their second best defenseman on eve of playoffs with parity we have in league and contend.

The things i am worried about is offense from the defense. I really hope we sign Schneider, hope Gainey does not under estimte value of offense on blueline like he did with losing Striet last season. And, veteran netminder to help Price, Melanson left him out to dry at times this season. I would also like a little offense from down the middle

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote