HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Inconsistent refs

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

vCash: 500
Inconsistent refs

Very interesting editorial regarding the state of officiating in this league

http://bolts.tbo.com/lightning/MGADTSVH2SD.html

A cple quotes from it

The integrity of the game is at stake.

It's when the whistles referees wear on their fingers disappear from their hand faster than a wedding band from a married man in a nightclub.

Old
03-20-2004, 10:58 PM
BCCHL inactive

Two words (that I have said many times before) discredit the entire article...

Game Management.

One of these days, I'll whip out my Hockey Canada Officiating Procedures Manual and type out what Game Management is all about.

EDIT: To hell with it, I'll do it now....stay tuned for a long post.

Old
03-20-2004, 11:00 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

Game Management.

One of these days, I'll whip out my Hockey Canada Officiating Procedures Manual and type out what Game Management is all about.
Do it! Do it! While I think Game Management has a lot to do with it, it doesn't explain away everything.

He's right about one thing. The NHL is hurting itself by allowing so much 'clutch and grab' hockey. Casual fans have no desire in seeing a defensive stalemate. They want to see great saves, odd-man rushes, and speed. You just don't see it as often when players are allowed to hold at will.

Old
03-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

Game Management.

EDIT: To hell with it, I'll do it now....stay tuned for a long post.

we are waiting, game management is also you call the INFRACTIONS or we could just roll a dice and award the cup thru a dice roll.

Toronto and others needs to be alert to the fact that the officiating is on average getting a grade around C-

Just on a sidenote when 2 of the biggest homer commentators, Atlanta Florida game had them saying, something along these lines when the Panthers got a PP

Did you see what happened there, no and i am sure noone but the refs saw it. and that was when they where getting a Powerplay. and typically they are almost always out saying oh you cant do this and so on and not expect a penalty.

If game management means crappy officiated games like have been more and more common in last 10 yrs. I see a huge change in officiating standard. It could be since league was less skilled 20 yrs ago before the Euro inpact started. And perhaps the talentbase for refs arent deep enough in Canada/USA.

Old
03-20-2004, 11:27 PM
BCCHL inactive

GAME MANAGEMENT

Feel for the game...where do you find it and how much does it cost? The answers to these questions can be summed up as follows: you can't and there is no charge! There does not exist a guide or manual of instructions to direct officials through this elusive area. "Feel for the game" is a difficult skill to evaluate and to instruct. It is best taught through open and honest group discussions and through effective game supervision. Game management cannot be defined in contrete terms such that officials follow a pre-determined menu of instructions for penalty selection where each infraction represents an automatic penalty. In contrast, an official must be prepared to constantly adapt to the various faces a hockey game presents. What follows is an attempt at discussing the concept of game management so that a hightened level of awareness of its basic principles can be achieved.

Introduction

Officiating a hockey game can be accomplished by assessing penalty after penalty until the final buzzer, however, each team and all spectators would likely be totally frustrated by the end of the game. It must be recognized that, although officials play a critical role in each hockey game, they should not endeavour to become the central focus of the game. The official ought to recognize that his/her role in a given hockey game is as a "manager" of that game. The official that realizes this role is far richer than that official who regards hockey officiating as a means of asserting power in the hockey game. It should always be remembered when officiating that each team has a decided vested interest in their success in a game. The only people, involved in the participation of the game, who do not have such interest are the officials.

Principles of Game Management

The common element amongst the two opposing teams and the official likely includes their desire to have a hockey game that is both safe and fair. Sound mechanics and knowledge of the playing rules are important criteria in game management, however, we must not overlook the official's "feel for the game". Since it is recognized that officials cannot call every penalty in the rule book, calling the most significant infractions that ensures safety and fairness in the game becomes the focus. The official who is able to read the game and react to difficult situations while maintaining a good standard (without being too rigid) will handle an intense, emotional game with relatively few problems. Hockey teams, throughout the course of a game, will attempt to discern the extent to which the representative official, in their game, will judge potential infractions. In essence, the team will take cues from the official as to how safe or fair they will play the game. The official who recognizes that teams will be aware of the types of penalties called and adapt their style accordingly is the official who manages his/her game well. The timing, type and frequency of penalties during a game impact greatly on a team's style of play.

The Timing of Penalties

The time at which an infraction is called can either assist or defeat an attempt at good game management. The face of a hockey game normally changes over the span of three periods that the intensity builds from the drop of the puck to the final buzzer. Officials should not expect to have success in managing a particular game by commencing their penalty enforcement late in the third period. In order to ensure the hockey teams are aware of the type of infractions permitted in a hockey game, officials must enforce those unacceptable infractions early in the game. It is the role of the official to define the parameters of a specific game early, through penalty selection, and gauge the impact of such parameters on the teams' style. There is no defined time period of how long an official should be aware of setting the parameters, for instance the first call of the game may be sufficient to set the desired tone, but the official must be prepared to maintain such awareness if the teams do not relent.

The Types of Infractions

The types of infractions assessed has a direct impact on the game parameters set by the officials. There are certain penalties in the rule book that, by definition, carry a specific meaning as to their severity. For instance, a minor penalty for tripping has less effect than a minor penalty for checking from behind. It is irrefutable that certain penalties have more impact than others. IMPACT penalties, when enforced, send very clear non-verbal messages to teams about the type of play that will be permitted and include checking from behind, stick infractions, high hits, restraining fouls and roughing after the whistle. Linesmen conducting faceoffs must apply the rules on encroachment in a consistent fashion. By not enforcing these types of infractions, the officials non-verbally communicate to the teams that this style is permitted in the hockey game. As previously stated, teams will adapt their style to the penalty standard adopted by the Referee. Therefore, it is part of the job of the Referee to focus on those infractions that have the most IMPACT rather than those infractions that are inconsequential. It is likely that the longer the official waits to enforce impact penalties, the more concentrated the enforcement will become throughout the game. If the official assesses impact penalties early in the game and remains consistent early, the frequency of assessment will likely decrease over the span of a game. The teams will become aware that this Referee will consistently assess infractions and they will adapt their style to match the parameters set out by the referee. The linesmen who choose to ignore, of fail to react to key situations by enforcing the rules for which he/she is responsible, can easily communicate the wrong message to the teams. Yet calling a "too many men on the ice" penalty which has no impact on the play may also communicate the wrong message.

Evaluation

The reaction of the two teams to the timing and type of penalties assessed should always be evaluated. Throughout the game, Referees should always be asking themselves how the team has responded to the penalty and what effect has the standard had on the flow of the game. The evaluation period is critical because it can prevent the Referee from falling into the trap of calling a weak penalty after calling a strong IMPACT penalty. It is important for linesmen to be constantly aware of the penalty selection. They too must learn to evaluate the impact of penalties called, know how to react, and how it effects the game. If the officials condition themselves to constantly evaluate the impact of their penalty selection, it is likely that they will be better prepared to react to adverse situations should they arise.

Conclusion

Making use of the "Bird" analogy is the best way to summarize "Game Management". If you squeeze the bird too tight, you can kill it; hold on to the bird too loosely and it will get away. This image clearly illustrates a game under control and should be able to provide you with a visual reference for the subject of "Game Management".

Old
03-20-2004, 11:28 PM
BCCHL inactive

Now I'm going for a beer with some fellow officials to discuss how we managed our respective BC Provincial Championship Tournaments.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:42 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Now I'm going for a beer with some fellow officials to discuss how we managed our respective BC Provincial Championship Tournaments.
Thats cool that you do that AFTER the game to blow off some steam. Maybe you should tell the NHL ref's to hold off on the booze until after the game as well.

Just a thought...

Old
03-21-2004, 02:00 AM
OpinionatedMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
GAME MANAGEMENT

Blah Blah Blah

Introduction

Blah Blah Blah

Principles of Game Management

A lot more blah

The Timing of Penalties

Even more blah

The Types of Infractions

Even more blah

Evaluation

Blah blah

Conclusion

The End

Now, although you will think I didn't read it, you'll be surprised, I did.
My first question, is impact also highlighted in bold, from whatever book you took that from?
Next, it needs to be rewritten....Why? Because it's wrong, all of it's wrong....Game Management in the problem. Obviously you don't wanna have to call 40 hooking and holding penalties a game, I understand that, but ya should.

When 1 person every year gets killed in a small town then you might let it slide.
When 2 people every year get killed in a small town then you might let it slide.
When 10 people every year get killed in a small town then you might have a problem.
When 100 people every year get killed in a small town then you have a problem.

Replace the word year with game
Now replace the word killed, with hooked/held/slashed
Now replace "small town" with "hockey game"

I suppose when things get bad we just stick to the old rules, right? No need to rewrite them for people that have found away around them right?
Whatever book you got that from, should be rewritten so that they CALL the obstruction.
But they won't, because "Game Management suggests we don't..."

Well, then I suppose the refs are sheep, because if something wasn't working for me, and I could EASILY tell it wasn't working for me, then I'd change how I did things.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:33 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedMike
Because it's wrong, all of it's wrong....Game Management in the problem. Obviously you don't wanna have to call 40 hooking and holding penalties a game, I understand that, but ya should.
Ask any player, coach or manager, and he will tell you Game Management is right. At least they're smart enough to know when they don't like the officiating, they are simply disagreeing with the way the officials managed the game.

Old
03-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Steve L*

Thats funny, I see every player, GM, coach and fan wanting consistancy, that is not possible with "game management".

Have you ever noticed here that virtually noone agrees with you?
Of course, youre so arrogant that you think everyone here is below you and we dont understand "game management".

Old
03-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Hart_House_Ca

The problem with the refs is similar to the problem with the nhl. Too many teams and too few talent.

With the two ref system you are diluting the pool of good refs and using way too many inexperience nhl refs in these games.

Lets pray the nhl can go back to the one ref system.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:09 PM
SmokeyClause

Upon reading this, I've lost a bit of respect for officials. They act as if each game is in a vaccuum and that in each game players try to see how much they can get away with up to and including major holdings and the like. The act as if the previous games have no bearing on how their current game is being called. This is where NHL officiating has failed. They have allowed holdings, hookings, slashings, and other forms of obstruction to occur ad nauseum for several years now. Now at the risk of having to call too many penalties and ruining the flow of the game (as if hookings/holdings the like don't), they'll let it slide so they can properly manage the game. Maybe, just maybe, if the NHL actually cracked down on obstruction penalties they wouldn't have to worry about 50 penalties a game. Once you set a standard that certain things, if seen, will be called, players amazingly stop committing these infractions as often. Now it will never be totally eliminated from the game and that is understandable. But I'm not asking for perfection. Hell, I'm not even asking for major improvement. I just want to know something is being done to fix it.

Reading this, I view hockey officials as lazy parents. They know they can't completely stop their kids from writing all over the wall with crayons so they don't even bother trying. They don't want to interfere too much with their kids lives so, in the interest of child management, they let this and other minor infractions slide.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Ask any player, coach or manager, and he will tell you Game Management is right. At least they're smart enough to know when they don't like the officiating, they are simply disagreeing with the way the officials managed the game.
That's the problem though, isnt it? Most of these referees couldnt manage a game to save their lives. In the end, one team typically gets screwed, and on occasion, like last night in Calgary, the league suffers a black eye as a result of the incompetence of its officials.

About the only thing that both Flames and Preds fans agree on last night is that the Officials were pathetically brutal. McCreary and the other loser should be fined and suspended for the way they called (or didnt call) that game.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Disagreeing with the way the officals managed the game? Gee, that sounds a lot like what the average fan is doing.

Old
03-21-2004, 01:08 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
McCreary and the other loser should be fined and suspended for the way they called (or didnt call) that game.

We can disagree on a lot of things, but you are right in this regard. The officiating duo should be fined and suspended especially if either Trotz or Sutter gets fined/suspended. They could have nipped it in the bud before the EN goal, but gave a poor attempt to stymie it and a melee ensued.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:14 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Have you ever noticed here that virtually noone agrees with you?
So what? When I call a penalty during a game, there is a hell of a lot of people who disagree with me. Doesn't mean my call is wrong.

Besides, nobody is disagreeing with me on this issue...

...What I posted is what is in my Procedures Manual.

Game Management has been a part of hockey since organized hockey has been played.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:18 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca
The problem with the refs is similar to the problem with the nhl. Too many teams and too few talent.

With the two ref system you are diluting the pool of good refs and using way too many inexperience nhl refs in these games.

Lets pray the nhl can go back to the one ref system.
One referee cannot keep up to today's fast NHL game. If we put one referee out there, he is physically exhausted by the third period, and with physical exhaustion comes mental exhaustion. If there is only one referee out there, his judgment will be negatively affected by fatigue come the most important time of the game.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:20 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Reading this, I view hockey officials as lazy parents. They know they can't completely stop their kids from writing all over the wall with crayons so they don't even bother trying. They don't want to interfere too much with their kids lives so, in the interest of child management, they let this and other minor infractions slide.
And that's why this is hockey, not raising a child.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:26 PM
OpinionatedMike

Like I said, SHEEP, all the refs MUST be sheep.
-Read the book
-Follow the book
-Never stray from the book

Well, I'm going to hate to break this too you, but the book is WRONG. Everyone (but refs, apparently) can see this. Things are all nice a rose colored if you follow the book, but when the book is wrong, and should be rewritten, do you make a fuss about it? It would seem you don't...you just point to Game Management....it's all Game Management....

Gotcha, the book is the law, follow it or die.

Refs are Sheep.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Besides, nobody is disagreeing with me on this issue...
Uhh... OpinonatedMike already disagreed with you (before this post and after this post), you even replied to him.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:30 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedMike
Well, I'm going to hate to break this too you, but the book is WRONG. Everyone (but refs, apparently) can see this.
Add players, coaches, managers...everybody involved in the game except the fans who think they know everything about hockey.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Add players, coaches, managers...everybody involved in the game except the fans who think they know everything about hockey.
Yes, because the fans are NEVER right, and everyone else is never wrong. And it's practically unheard of for players, coaches, and general managers to say anything against the way that games are called.

Perhaps you should be more condescending, maybe you'll get your point across better.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:34 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

Game Management has been a part of hockey since organized hockey has been played.
are you so sure about that? do you really think that when they were putting together the first leagues and trying to get people to officiate they actually said "you need to manage this game"? does the term "game management" actually appear in the official rule book, or only in a ref's operations manual? are there provisos next to rules that say "this act shall be punished with a minor penalty, unless is is conflict with the official's feelings toward the management of the game"?

i think that its important to realize that the idea of game management must have developed in response to conditions encountered on the ice in previous games. this does not mean that it is a bad thing, or a good thing, but it does mean that the conditions that necessitated thecreation and adoption of a "game management" philosophy/strategy must be taken into account. so, to me anyway, the question seems to be, what would happen without game management? you operations manual, as smokey astutely pointed out, assumes that each game occurs in a vacuum. but, if "game" management is possible, why not "sport" management, in which officials call every penalty that they see, and players learn not to commit them over the course of the history of a sport?

Old
03-21-2004, 03:36 PM
the-rasta-masta

Send a message via MSN to the-rasta-masta
Speaking of the two ref system, I went to a Flames game a few weeks ago, and one of the referees was sick, so they used the one ref system that night..Best refereiing I have seen in a long long time, without a doubt...

Old
03-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Regardless of what the author's motivation was, the original quoted article is essentially correct. The problem is that the refs decide when it's "ok to call something" and when it isn't, based on irrelevant factors such as time remaining, game implications and a host of other factors.

Rules are rules. As so many people here have correctly stated this season, we don't so much need a whole host of new rules and rink changes and equipment changes, as we just need the refs to call things like obstruction every single time they see it, regardless of when they see it.

It's not their job to analyze the effect of the call on the game, it's their job to make sure when players ignore the rules, they end up in the box. PERIOD.

YES, because they have done such a horribly inconsistent job in recent years, doing this NOW would have the effect of bogging down the games with penalties. This DOES NOT mean calling those penalties is wrong. It means the players are completely undisciplined and used to getting away with all kinds of rule infractions. Thus -- AT SOME POINT -- the refs will have to start doing their jobs and CONDITION the players to once again respect the rules.

They often try this at the beginning of seasons, but it invariably wears off. Until the players know that the refs will call x, y and z every time they see it, they'll continue to play undisciplined hockey.

Closed Thread