HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players who have looked impressive thus far

Old
04-29-2009, 05:41 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Malkin-Datsyuk-Weinhandl

45 goals for Weiner
How the heck does a team not have at least 5 forwards better suitable for that role?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:46 AM
machoki

vCash: 500
Szuper and Mezin have been axtraordinary against Slovakia, and on the Hungary-Belarous game itself. Grabovski was really good against Canada, maybe he needs to get a bit more motivated, because he didn't do much against Hungary. Otherwise Nagy is looking sharp too. In Canada I really can't pick anyone, they haven't played against an opposition in their class yet.

Last edited by machoki: 04-29-2009 at 06:28 AM.
machoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:50 AM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
Who are some players who have looked good so far in the tournament?

I watched the Canada-Slovakia game today, and Marcel Hossa and Nagy looked very good. They both played a very NHLesque style, and to be honest, I'm surprised they're not still in the NHL.

According to the stats, Linus Omark has been Sweden's best player (I really wish the Oilers had signed him...), but I have a feeling Mattias Weinhandl will take over soon, like he always does.

For Canada, St. Louis has probably been our best player. Heatley, Spezza and Weber have looked good as well.

Who else?
Well Nagy was a point per game player in Phoenix, he obviously has what it takes to be an impact player in the NHL. Injuries and sometimes lack of work ethic is what stopped his further progress. Its really a shame, at one point of his career I thought he was going to be another Slovak superstar in the NHL (when he put up those sexy numbers in Phoenix).

Hossa, well sure, but he is a 3rd liner in the NHL, while in the KHL he was the scoring leader of his team.

As for team Canada, I was mightily impressed by Weber. This was the first time Ive seen him play and boy what a treat. Physical presence, great defending and bullet of a slapshot. Others had a good game too, but they were kind of usual suspects for me. I was not however impressed by Luke Schenn. Seemed like he was getting beat by forwards all the time. Maybe it was just a bad game though, cant tell.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
Who are some players who have looked good so far in the tournament?

I watched the Canada-Slovakia game today, and Marcel Hossa and Nagy looked very good. They both played a very NHLesque style, and to be honest, I'm surprised they're not still in the NHL.

According to the stats, Linus Omark has been Sweden's best player (I really wish the Oilers had signed him...), but I have a feeling Mattias Weinhandl will take over soon, like he always does.

For Canada, St. Louis has probably been our best player. Heatley, Spezza and Weber have looked good as well.

Who else?
Nagy's high tstick to Neal face was vicious.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:00 AM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Nagy's high tstick to Neal face was vicious.
So whats with Neal anyway? Cant really find anything about him other than that he maybe had to go get stitches? Is he playing for Canada in the next match?

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
So whats with Neal anyway? Cant really find anything about him other than that he maybe had to go get stitches? Is he playing for Canada in the next match?
Have not heard yet....I would think he would. What was ironic is that he was rewarded for his great play so far by being moved to the top line with Heatley and Spezza and on the 1st shift i think he took the stick in the face. Neal is a beast and if he can play he will be back 100% guarantee. He may fall to 10th or so on these boards in terms of the top rookies this year but he will be a serious force for years to come. He is almost the exact kind of player Brenden Morrow is but only a lot bigger.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:51 AM
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
but Morozov
Not in yesterday's game, in my opinion

tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:04 AM
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
Yes, it was Kovy vs. Switzerland and he won. Morozov and Zinojev were OK too. Bryzgaljov looks very sold. From the Swiss side, I hadn't realized Streit is that good. Ambuhl is always fun to watch
Absolutely, they were very good, but it was really the Kovy show... I thought Streit was OK, but it seemed to me he had quite a hard time to control the puck... He can play better than that

I was also quite impressed by Lhenry during the Switzerland-France game, even though Switzerland did not play very well... And apparently he had another (very) good game against Germany

tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:03 AM
SirKillalot

For Norway. Bastiansen for sure, just plain impossible to take the puck away from him.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
To mention a few more unknown players; Sven Butenschön (Germany), Baptiste Amar (France).
Ahaha Sven Butenschon. Not that unknown.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
How the heck does a team not have at least 5 forwards better suitable for that role?
2 goals today against USA.

Weinhandl is once again the best player of the night.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
mattihp

Niko Kapanen had another brilliant night, giving Finland the win on his birthday. 2+2 against the czechs.

5 Goals and 3 assists in 3 games is pretty nice.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 03:49 PM
SpezDispenser

2 goals for Ryan Shannon in a losing cause today. He's a speedy little dude - a lot of fun to watch.

SpezDispenser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
DowJones

I agree that Weinhandl could be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL.

I think that people that uses his last stint in the NHL as an argument against him forget that he was still suffering *a lot* from his eye injury back then. He still only have 10% vision left on that eye, but he seems to have adjusted well the latest years.

DowJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Weinhandl could be a 45 goal scorer in the NHL, I'm amazed he never really got the chance when he was there.

He's better than guys like Louie Ericsson and Kristian Huselius, and they're considered semi-stars over there - atleast first liners.

Kenny Jönsson is injured, but he's always the best swedish player.
Weinhandl had 19 goals in 182 NHL games - what makes you think he could be a 45 goal scorer?

I'm sorry, he may have improved, but you're essentially calling him one of the best goal scorers in the world. In his entire career (over many leagues), he's only really had one exceptionally great year.

If he could have easily been a 45 goal scorer in the NHL, he would have done it while he was in the NHL. I doubt he's improved that much in two years - then again, people here (World Hockey Talk) love to downplay the NHL as a ****** league.

Last edited by Vic Rattlehead*: 04-29-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Avy*

Weinhandl mightely impressed me in KHL. Weinhandl > Marek, >> Martensson. He is no Morozov of course.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Weinhandl had 19 goals in 182 NHL games - what makes you think he could be a 45 goal scorer?

You're homerism is getting worse by the day.
Franzen had 22 goals in 149 NHL games before 07/08 season. Hockeydb magic.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Franzen had 22 goals in 149 NHL games before 07/08 season. Hockeydb magic.
Franzen doesn't mind going into corners and fighting for the puck. From what I remember, Weinhandl would crumble at the sight of physical hockey. He just doesn't have what it takes to be an elite goal scorer in the NHL.

And while we're at it, Franzen isn't a 40 goal scorer either. Until a player accomplishes that feat, they can't be given that title. I don't put a lot of stock into "what ifs".

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:54 PM
otto84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
This is from an article on CBC.com:

Quote:
Contact lens helped Neal

A contact lens may have prevented James Neal from suffering what could have been a career-ending injury.

The upper and lower eyelids on Neal's left eye were cut by an errant stick carried by Ladislav Nagy in Tuesday's game between Canada and Slovakia at the world hockey championship. The tip of the blade got under Neal's visor and when Nagy twisted the stick in an attempt to free it, he sliced the Canadian winger's eye.

Neal immediately threw his hand over his eye and blood spilled onto the ice.

Neal, who scored 24 goals for the Dallas Stars this season, was sent to hospital, where doctors conducted surgery to close the wound. He was back at the team hotel a couple of hours later. Neal will return to Canada and then head to Dallas to be checked out by the Stars' doctors.

"His eye was swelled shut but there was no damage to his eye," said captain Shane Doan. "Someone said his contact [lens] helped save his eyeball."

A Hockey Canada representative stayed at the hospital with Neal, 21, while Armstrong immediately called Neal's parents in Whitby, Ont., and kept them abreast of the developments.

"His injury is severe enough that he will not play again in the tournament," said Armstrong, who was the general manager of the Dallas Stars when he drafted Neal in the second round, 33rd overall, in the 2005 NHL draft.

"The good news is it not something that is career-threatening or career-ending. It is just a serious injury."

This season, Neal became the first Stars rookie to score 20 or more goals since the franchise moved to Dallas from Minnesota in 1993.

Dallas coach Dave Tippett is an assistant coach for the Canadian team at the 2009 world championship and he said he is optimistic Neal will make a full recovery.

"I see a bright future for him and he will be a top NHL player," said Tippett, who talked to Neal after the game.

"He was down and the fact that the tournament was just getting going, that a group of young guys was getting together and were bonding, that part is disappointing," he said. "We think he has a bright future and it is disappointing he will not have this experience and hopefully he will be ready for the fall [and the 2009-10 NHL season]."

Doan said Neal's teammates were thrilled to see him after the game.

"It is an injury that as a player is the scariest thing. Those things to the eye are always so scary," said Doan. "It is something as a player you never want to see and you could tell when he was leaving the ice he was pretty shaken up and the whole bench was.

"You are in a different country and far away from home and having a traumatic injury like that, it will effect you. I am sure for a while there, he was the [scaredest] he has ever been in his life."
Yay, for contact lenses!

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:56 PM
gasp

Hagman - Kapanen - Miettinen

gasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
A Neverending Cycle

vCash: 499
Shea Weber has been great.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
That same Weinhandl? Maybe if the rinks were wider and there weren't that many hard hitters around...

And didn't he get a couple of games on the topline with both Minnesota and the Islanders?

If a player plays like he did, it is hard for a coach to justify the choice of playing him alot above young guys who actually can provide.

Do you mean 45 point scorer? I see that as a possibility...
people are gonna argue that he still performed in last year's WC which was in North American size rinks, and he also faced NHL-Caliber talent

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 04:59 PM
ronnyweed

stamkos.... and jagr looked great today, can just dominate the puck down low

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 05:11 PM
violator

Send a message via Skype™ to violator
For Latvia - GK Edgars Masalskis 3W 1L 131SVS 94.93SV% 1.68GAA

Will see what will stats look like after game agaisnt France and Russia. Currently he is the top Latvian player.

violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 05:18 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by violator View Post
For Latvia - GK Edgars Masalskis 3W 1L 131SVS 94.93SV% 1.68GAA

Will see what will stats look like after game against France and Russia. Currently he is the top Latvian player.
Yeah, he's come back nicely from his shaky start at the Olympic qualifiers. Karsums has been getting in at least three nice hits per game (not to mention the "questionable" ones), and has a goal, assist and shoot out goal. Definitely playing with a lot of spunk.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote