HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada sealed GOLD this year

Old
04-29-2009, 02:32 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
I would guess Canada that based on the talent of the eliminated playoff teams and Canada's most pressing needs (a goal scoring forward and two-way defenseman), they would add Carter and probably Coburn, but I'd likely be wrong.

I didn't think there was any chance Stamkos, Schenn, Doughty, Horcoff or Kwiatkowski made the team, so I think they're going to go in some unpredicted direction with adding another forward and defenseman.

I'll predict Travis Zajac and Dan Girardi

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:17 AM
bbfan419

Forget about Rick Nash playing for Canada, he has a shoulder injury and can't play, also Mike Richards is having surgery and will be out for 10-12 weeks. Not sure if Jeff Carter is healthy or not, if he is ok he would be a good addition, as of course Iginla would be. If Iginla declines then it could be Carter, Gagne, Marleau, Thornton or Setoguchi. I would like either Iginla or Carter as the forwrad addition and Boyle on Defense.

bbfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Is it bad to root for Canada even though i was born and live in the states?

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Macman

I'm hoping they add Carter and Boyle. I just wish Hockey Canada had left a couple more openings. This team is too young and has too many grinder types to be automatically proclaimed champions. You know the Russians will airlift either Malkin or Ovechkin and Semin in for the medal round. And this could finally be the year the Americans do something at this tournament, especially if Parise shows.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:20 AM
bbfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I'm hoping they add Carter and Boyle. I just wish Hockey Canada had left a couple more openings. This team is too young and has too many grinder types to be automatically proclaimed champions. You know the Russians will airlift either Malkin or Ovechkin and Semin in for the medal round. And this could finally be the year the Americans do something at this tournament, especially if Parise shows.
Yeah I agree, they should have left a few more spots open. I think the defense is ok and if they add a guy like Boyle that's fine but, the forwards should of had atleast 3-4 spots open and just use Canadians playing on european teams to fill in until the additions arrive. Also, goaltending could be an issue, Roloson and Mason are ok but, with a guy like Brodeur it may have made a difference. They knew Carolina or New Jersey would be elimanated and therefore either Ward or Brodeur would be out of the playoffs, I wished they would have waited on that as well.

Old
04-29-2009, 09:06 AM
bbfan419

James Neal is out for Canada due to his injury in the last game vs Slovakia. Canada has added Marc-Edouard Vlasic to it's defense. Jarome Iginla and Dan boyle turned down offers to play for Canada. They will add 2 more forwards now.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/new...tml?cid=rsstsn

Old
04-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Anderson9

Quote:
This team is too young and has too many grinder types to be automatically proclaimed champions. You know the Russians will airlift either Malkin or Ovechkin and Semin in for the medal round.
How true! Such an approach is typical of todays Russia. International sporting success is one of Russia's national projects, called "rising from the knees". If malkin/ovechkin join the nationals this year and win the championships, they'll be page HUGE EXORBITANT bonuses (don't pump me- the sums are top secret). And Canadians' lukewarm attitude toward such tourneys is well-known. I vividly remember competitive Teams Canada at WC 1983 and 1987 turning turtle or the UNDERMANNED team (refusal by mario lemieux) in 1986. what a sharp contrast to early-2000s Slovakia(patriotism) and Putin's Russia (nationalism). canada do not measure up.

Anderson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan419 View Post
James Neal is out for Canada due to his injury in the last game vs Slovakia. Canada has added Marc-Edouard Vlasic to it's defense. Jarome Iginla and Dan boyle turned down offers to play for Canada. They will add 2 more forwards now.

Carter and Cammalleri would be nice.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:14 AM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
I think Iginla will be the new forward and maybe Phaneuf for the D. Just my personal opinion though, there are plenty of good choices.
Well your opinion is wrong.

therealdeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
MeHateHe

vCash: 50
Quote:
You know the Russians will airlift either Malkin or Ovechkin and Semin in for the medal round.
That would be some trick. Game four of the Washington/Pittsburgh series is scheduled for next Thursday, and the IHWC semifinal is scheduled to start less than 12 hours later. Even if a sweep happens, the best case scenario would be inserting one of those guys in the lineup for the final only.

That series is almost certainly going to go beyond four games. I'd put the odds of any of those three being available for the world championships at somewhere between 0 and 1 %.

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Why not Claude Giroux, he was the Flyers best player in the playoffs.

856 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan419 View Post

Too bad for Neal. Vlassic, really? Meh. I know they wouldn't want to call up (for example) Marc Staal an hour after he was eliminated in heart-breaking fashion, and they probably want to get guys over there as soon as possible, but ... yeah, meh.

Guys like Iginla have no need to join this team. It's the ones who might be on the bubble for the Olympics who should be showing up (if healthy, obviously).

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:55 AM
DDIHH

If we need to improve the PK unit, Vermette could get the call.

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:13 AM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Is it bad to root for Canada even though i was born and live in the states?
**** no

Welcome aboard,the more the merrier

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
With the Capitals and Pens advancing, team Russia is only decent this year.

The only hope Finland to steal 1 game from Canada was Ruutu, Pitkanen and Jokinen coming from Carolina. But they advanced.

I don't see anyone competing with Canada.
are you serious? Russia is strong enough to beat everyone in this tourney. by the way Canada havnt better roster than Russians.

Last edited by pouskin74*: 04-29-2009 at 12:15 PM.
pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Frank the Tank
Passing the Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson9 View Post
How true! Such an approach is typical of todays Russia. International sporting success is one of Russia's national projects, called "rising from the knees". If malkin/ovechkin join the nationals this year and win the championships, they'll be page HUGE EXORBITANT bonuses (don't pump me- the sums are top secret). And Canadians' lukewarm attitude toward such tourneys is well-known. I vividly remember competitive Teams Canada at WC 1983 and 1987 turning turtle or the UNDERMANNED team (refusal by mario lemieux) in 1986. what a sharp contrast to early-2000s Slovakia(patriotism) and Putin's Russia (nationalism). canada do not measure up.
Yes, Canadians have no nationalism. I wish Canada had the recent success over the last decade Russia has had in international hockey. I mean one championship, how could they ever match that?

Anyways, on topic. I think this would be a great opportunity for Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau to show they have what it takes to play for Team Canada in Vancouver 2010.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:36 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post

Yes, Sweden, Finland and Russia all look weak compared to Canada's squad but they still have some dynamic players that can change the outcome.
someone just counted number of NHL players in rosters and made a DECISION no less no more

Old
04-29-2009, 11:39 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
they do not get Malkin,Datsiuk nor Ovy but they are most defently good enough without them.

Old
04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
wjhl2009fan

I think the 2nd round will be harder for canada.

Tba)vs Czech Rep
Tba)vs Norway
Tba)vs Finland

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Paxton Fettel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
Without a doubt it seems this years WC talent pool isn't nearly as good as last season (Which always works in Canada's favour due to our seemingly endless depth), it doesn't guarantee anything. The best team doesn't always win. Canada always takes too many penalties and has a few players that run the risk of underplaying.
Canada's favorite thing to say.

No, the best team always wins. The best roster/team on paper doesn't always win.

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Well your opinion is wrong.
Too bad.

They've added Vlasic and Coburn, that's 9 guys on the blueline. Keep White as a forward, and don't use the KHL guy.

Also: ****. Neal was pretty much the one player I wanted to watch going in, and it really sucks about that injury. It's good that he'll fully recover though. I'll still watch Canada go for gold, but damn.

I hope you enjoyed your 7 mins Luke, it's the most you're getting for the rest of the tournament..

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post

No, the best team always wins. The best roster/team on paper doesn't always win.

if the best team always won then why do upsets happen? That's why the stanley cup playoffs have 7 game series so that the team that's playing better shows it over more than just one game. Anyone can beat anyone else once, doing it again is the tough part.

I think there were plenty of swedes complaining that the best team doesn't always win back in the salt lake olympics....

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
otto84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post

'Best teams' doesn't cover fluky goals, it doesn't make reffing better etc. Sorry, it's not as black and white as you say.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:54 PM
bbfan419

USA has added Christopher Higgins and now Joe Pavelski. I hope Canada adds Jeff Carter.

Old
04-29-2009, 02:48 PM
ronnyweed

canada added vlassic and coburn as oer tsn and are looking at adding a forward with neal going home.... not sure why boyle would decline, he isnt exactly a lock for 2010 and has very little international experience

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote