HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

credit where credit is due

Old
04-29-2009, 03:42 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
credit where credit is due

take nothing away from the Caps - the entire series I was under the impression about us being blown out.....except maybe yesterday in Period 1 and 2. but by period 3 I thought only a miracle could save us. That was not going to happen.

Why is it that Caps always looked like the only team capable of scoring.

On the Rangers side I must highlight some of those who I felt this club can build on.

- Avery - I am not/never was keen on him but last night he was a stud. He played the best game I saw him play. IMO he was the no 1 star of the night. Shame we couldn't crown it with victory

- Callahan and Dubinsky - are the cornerstone of the franchise. Fly in the ointment is that I don't see either of them being premier scorers in the league the way Moose and Graves were.

- Antisimov - first time I saw him play and he has good hands and good size. I reckon he makes Antropov surplus to requirement

- Sjostrom and Voros - not sure how much we are paying these guys but I like their work ethic and size (Voros) - I actually think both are worth keeping

- Korpo is a decent 3rd liner but nothing more nothing less.

- On the blue line Staal and Mara are keepers. All other are expendable. I don't see how any of them have what's needed to help our offense. A Leetch/Zubie type of guy who would trail the forward and be able to score. Redden is too static - although he played better in P/O than during the season. So we are stuck with him and Rozy. I liked Rozy but he seems on the way down, IMO his body is giving up. What we need going forward is a Streit, Niedermeyr, Kaberle, Green - we don't have that. I don't know if the talent in Hartford can grow into this void soon enough?

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 04-29-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
- On the blue line Staal and Mara are keepers. All other are in expendable. I don't see iMO what is needed to help our offense. A Leetch/Zubie type of guy who would trail the forward and be able to score. Redden is too static - although he played better in P/O than during the season. So we are stuck with him and Rozy. I liked Rozy but he seems on the way down, IMO his body is giving up. What we need going forward is a Streit, Niedermeyr, Kaberle, Green - we don't have that. I don't know if the talent in Hartford can grow into this void soon enough?
Sather needs to see if he can trade Rozsival. Yeah we've had this conversation before, and it's not so much a reflection on Rozsival as it is on his cap hit and the state the Rangers are in (and him being more tradeable than Redden).

As for what to do to the defense...at least one of Gilroy, Sanguinetti, or Del Zotto needs to start next year. I don't mean rush them completely if they're not ready, but if it looks like they can hang at the NHL level and learn, even while making mistakes, then they need to do it. The team desperately needs some offensive talent on the blueline, and they can't simply stand pat this year. Even if it makes for a rough first part of the season, it'll be worth it if they improve in the second half

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:38 AM
D713B

Quote:
I'm glad we solved that riddle. And all before he's reached the ripe old age of 23.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:46 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Sather needs to see if he can trade Rozsival. Yeah we've had this conversation before, and it's not so much a reflection on Rozsival as it is on his cap hit and the state the Rangers are in (and him being more tradeable than Redden).

As for what to do to the defense...at least one of Gilroy, Sanguinetti, or Del Zotto needs to start next year. I don't mean rush them completely if they're not ready, but if it looks like they can hang at the NHL level and learn, even while making mistakes, then they need to do it. The team desperately needs some offensive talent on the blueline, and they can't simply stand pat this year. Even if it makes for a rough first part of the season, it'll be worth it if they improve in the second half
Agree--the Rangers are going to have to bring in at least one rookie--possibly 2 on D. It looks like we have enough good candidates for the job. And moving Rozsival would give us some cap space. The Rangers do not an elite scoring threat. One wonders what difference a Jagr could have made in this series. If there is something to aim for that is it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:09 AM
SPG

Quote:
take nothing away from the Caps - the entire series I was under the impression about us being blown away......except yesterday in Period 1 and 2. By period 3 I thought only a miracle could save us. That was not going to happen.

On the Rangers side I must highlight some of those who I felt this club can build on.

- Avery - I am not/never was keen on him but last night he was a stud. He played the best game I saw him play. IMO he was the no 1 star of the night. Shame we couldn't crown it with victory

- Callahan and Dubinsky - are the cornerstone of the franchise. Fly in the ointment is that I don't see either of them being in the premier scorer of the league in the way Moose and Graves were.

- Antisimov - first time I saw him play and he has a good package. I reckon he makes
Antropov completely surplus to requirement

- Sjostrom and Voros - not sure how much we are paying these guys but I like their work ethic and size (Voros) - I actually think both are worth keeping

- On the blue line Staal and Mara are keepers. All other are in expendable. I don't see iMO what is needed to help our offense. A Leetch/Zubie type of guy who would trail the forward and be able to score. Redden is too static - although he played better in P/O than during the season. So we are stuck with him and Rozy. I liked Rozy but he seems on the way down, IMO his body is giving up. What we need going forward is a Streit, Niedermeyr, Kaberle, Green - we don't have that. I don't know if the talent in Hartford can grow into this void soon enough?
Avery played a hell of a game last night. It's too bad the refs were so blind to the Caps having their way with him. I know Avery makes stupid decisions, but at least call a fair game. That said, Caps were clearly the superior team in this series and deserved to win.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:10 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The thing with Avery is this will never go anywhere when he's on your top two lines.

04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Fletch

Avery-Dubi-Korps - there's next season's third line. Now this team just needs top six guys to get the job done.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The thing with Avery is this will never go anywhere when he's on your top two lines.
Agreed. Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan would be a HELL of a good 3rd line on a good team. Problem is, they might be our 3 best forwards.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed. Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan would be a HELL of a good 3rd line on a good team. Problem is, they might be our 3 best forwards.

Bingo......

I just dont see how we will get rid of Gomez, Naslund?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Levitate

I'm not sure I'd write Dubinsky off as a 40 point 3rd liner yet. He matched his point total from his rookie year so he avoided a sophomore slump for the most part, and he's still quite young and learning how best to play the game. He also displays enough skill that it's not out of the question he could become a 60 point second line center. I'm not sure if it's a great idea to expect that out of him for sure next year, but the Rangers might not have a choice with the way their cap situation is.

honestly, I'd say move Drury to the wing and make him deal with it. Put him on Dubinsky's wing and have Zherdev/Antropov on the other wing or something. Have Anisimov center Korpikoski and Avery as the third line

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

He turns 23 this July, still think his best is yet to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KorpsLayingOutOvie.jpg‎ (146.9 KB, 17 views)

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Agree--the Rangers are going to have to bring in at least one rookie--possibly 2 on D. It looks like we have enough good candidates for the job. And moving Rozsival would give us some cap space. The Rangers do not an elite scoring threat. One wonders what difference a Jagr could have made in this series. If there is something to aim for that is it.
I believe he would of made a difference. Mistake not bringing jagr back...

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
NYROrtsFan

I don't think you've watched the Rangers much if you think Voros is at all worth keeping.

He has zero balance, he can't hit, he gets murdered in any fight, and he sure as hell can't create offense.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:50 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
- On the blue line Staal and Mara are keepers.

HappyLondon, my gut tells me that Mara isn't coming back. I like the guy and wouldn't mind him coming back as a 3rd pairing D-Man who provides some leadership and an alpha male beard. However, I just get this feeling that Torts isn't crazy about him. Mara's game is somewhat limited. I think Torts has already replaced Mara with Gilroy in his mind. I have no evidence of this, it is just the gut feeling I have.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
take nothing away from the Caps - the entire series I was under the impression about us being blown out.....except maybe yesterday in Period 1 and 2. but by period 3 I thought only a miracle could save us. That was not going to happen.

- Callahan and Dubinsky - are the cornerstone of the franchise. Fly in the ointment is that I don't see either of them being premier scorers in the league the way Moose and Graves were.

- Antisimov - first time I saw him play and he has good hands and good size. I reckon he makes Antropov surplus to requirement

- On the blue line Staal and Mara are keepers. All other are expendable. I don't see how any of them have what's needed to help our offense. A Leetch/Zubie type of guy who would trail the forward and be able to score. Redden is too static - although he played better in P/O than during the season. So we are stuck with him and Rozy. I liked Rozy but he seems on the way down, IMO his body is giving up. What we need going forward is a Streit, Niedermeyr, Kaberle, Green - we don't have that. I don't know if the talent in Hartford can grow into this void soon enough?
Important thing to note: Most of the guys you spoke positively of were home-grown talent and that's worth considering going into this offseason.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:45 PM
ogie

Quote:

i said it dozen a times at the end of the year ...sjo-betts-voros would be a great line. As much as people like the idea of having a pure brawler in the lineup, i would personally rather have a 4th line that can chip in some goals here and there.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote