HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury played with a broken right hand

Old
04-29-2009, 10:28 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
You don't have to be a 1st line player to be captain. some of the better captains haven't been 1st line players

Both games he's gotten very little icetime at all and did nothing wrong while he was on the ice. There's no possible way you can say he's "nowhere near NHL ready" with that small of a sample size. He only got five and a half minutes last night
Traditionally on the Rangers you do. Trying to think who was the captain in Park's time. Hadfield? I know Espo, Dave Maloney (who was very highly thought of as a young player), ditto for Barry Beck (who was not only a top d-man but a physical force), Kisio, Messier, Leetch, Jagr, Drury--the trend anyway over the last 15-20 years is to give it to a top producer.

I'm not saying Callahan wouldn't be a bad choice though. He never takes a game off and he's getting better as a player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Levitate

I don't really care about "traditionally"

you give it to the guy who's the best captain, not the best player

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Anisimov has looked nowhere near NHL ready in the 2 games hes been with the big club. Im not ready to hand him an NHL job yet by any means.
Why not? Are we competing for the cup? Personally I want to see our #1 and #2 centers at the beginning of this season be Dubinsky and Gomez/Drury. Hopefully Drury is the one to be moved, but Gomez seems the only realistic possibility.

I dont see the problem with Anisimov manning the 3rd line, and if he has troubles you have lots of other players that can step in like Antropov or Avery. Didnt Korp also play center?

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:15 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Props to Drury for playing through pain and injury.

With that said, Drury is terrible. He is grossly overpaid, he is not a great captain, and i really hope we find a way to get rid of him this summer.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Fletch

unfortunately, some ire will always be directed at Drury. I agree blame needs to be placed on Sather, but at the same time if you don't place some blame (or direct some anger) on Drury, then you will never place any blame (or direct any anger) on any player because you can always fall back on, "well, it's not his fault he was put on this team, etc.". He unfortunately is a player who's best as a support guy and not a leader. I can't blame him for being in the situation that Sather has put him in. At the same time, he's not one of my top 20 favorite players either.

I commend Drury for playing with a broken hand. Of course, he was mostly ineffective in the series, if not a liability on more than an occasion, and perhaps the noble thing would've been to sit out, much like he did in game one, a game in which the Rangers did win.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
Why not? Are we competing for the cup? Personally I want to see our #1 and #2 centers at the beginning of this season be Dubinsky and Gomez/Drury. Hopefully Drury is the one to be moved, but Gomez seems the only realistic possibility.

I dont see the problem with Anisimov manning the 3rd line, and if he has troubles you have lots of other players that can step in like Antropov or Avery. Didnt Korp also play center?
Maybe Im just feeling like an optimist today, but if Sather can trim some salary cap fat off the roster and add a gamebreaker on the wing this offseason, then yes, I feel like this team can compete for the cup.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:33 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
unfortunately, some ire will always be directed at Drury. I agree blame needs to be placed on Sather, but at the same time if you don't place some blame (or direct some anger) on Drury, then you will never place any blame (or direct any anger) on any player because you can always fall back on, "well, it's not his fault he was put on this team, etc.". He unfortunately is a player who's best as a support guy and not a leader. I can't blame him for being in the situation that Sather has put him in. At the same time, he's not one of my top 20 favorite players either.

I commend Drury for playing with a broken hand. Of course, he was mostly ineffective in the series, if not a liability on more than an occasion, and perhaps the noble thing would've been to sit out, much like he did in game one, a game in which the Rangers did win.
At which point all the whiners on here would talk about how he didn't suck it up and try to earn his contract when it really counted.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The difference is Callahan for a lot less money gives a consistent effort game in and game out. He doesn't take games off and it's why he's become a more effective player than our captain.

I understand the feel good nature of this story--the ship goes down with all its guns blazing--even with wounded gunners. Sentiment aside though we were outmatched at a number of levels and dependent on our goaltender to keep it close way too much because those gunners blazing away or not were way too ineffective and you know what?--let's think about putting that sentiment aside and not trying to repeat the same thing over again next year--because we've wasted a lot of time repeating the same mistakes over and over again--because it seems it was enough for some just to make the playoffs and if going down in some glorious losing cause is the end result you're looking for then you should be happy with how it all ended.
Every year 29 of the 30 teams in this league fail. Truth is we can do nothing to change the team we have. So we should appreciate efforts like Drurys' and support the team we have.

Last edited by Bullet: 04-29-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:57 AM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Maybe Im just feeling like an optimist today, but if Sather can trim some salary cap fat off the roster and add a gamebreaker on the wing this offseason, then yes, I feel like this team can compete for the cup.
I kinda agree with you. I would love to see what Gomez could do with Gaborik on his wing. And though I blame Sather for the current mess we have, I also think he would be one of the best GMs in the league to fix it. Up to this point, the Gomez, Redden, Drury signings have only hurt Dolan's pockets, not the Rangers. But come July 1st and we cannot sign Gaborik, then you can officially say the Gomez/Drury/Redden contracts hurt us. So far they havent prevented us from signing a player we wanted.

Old
04-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Anisimov has looked nowhere near NHL ready in the 2 games hes been with the big club. Im not ready to hand him an NHL job yet by any means.
I thought he looked solid last night.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:04 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Up to this point, the Gomez, Redden, Drury signings have only hurt Dolan's pockets, not the Rangers. But come July 1st and we cannot sign Gaborik, then you can officially say the Gomez/Drury/Redden contracts hurt us. So far they havent prevented us from signing a player we wanted.
How could we possibly know that though? What if there was a big money player at the deadline that could have been attained but we didn't have the cap room? Maybe Sundin signs with us if we have a few mill more in cap space. My point is that it is impossible to know what our cap problems prevented us from doing this season.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
How could we possibly know that though? What if there was a big money player at the deadline that could have been attained but we didn't have the cap room? Maybe Sundin signs with us if we have a few mill more in cap space. My point is that it is impossible to know what our cap problems prevented us from doing this season.
True, but I seriously doubt we missed out on a big deadline player. And this team is more than 1 player away from competing for a cup. As for Sundin, there wasnt even a consensus that we wanted the guy. And could you imagine if we signed him? Good luck signing our RFAs and UFAs with Sundin on the books as well.

Old
04-29-2009, 12:30 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
And this team is more than 1 player away from competing for a cup.
You won't get an argument from me there. I agree.

Quote:
As for Sundin, there wasnt even a consensus that we wanted the guy. And could you imagine if we signed him? Good luck signing our RFAs and UFAs with Sundin on the books as well.
Sundin signed a 1 year deal. he would have been a UFA at the end of this year and wouldn't have had any impact on us signing our RFA's at all. Let me be clear though, I am not saying we should have gotten Sundin or that his addition would have mattered. My point was that it is impossible to now how our cap problems handcuffed us this season in terms of acquiring players.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:37 PM
MadHookUp

Oh I understand what you are saying. I thought Sundin stated that he wanted a 2 year contract regardless if it was the Rangers or Canucks. Didnt he sign for 2 years with the Canucks?

I guess I should say from what has been reported, our salary cap problems have yet to actually become a problem. Unless some trades are made before July 1st, I predict that it definitely will become a problem!

Old
04-29-2009, 12:37 PM
sousuffer

Quote:
I kinda agree with you. I would love to see what Gomez could do with Gaborik on his wing. And though I blame Sather for the current mess we have, I also think he would be one of the best GMs in the league to fix it. Up to this point, the Gomez, Redden, Drury signings have only hurt Dolan's pockets, not the Rangers. But come July 1st and we cannot sign Gaborik, then you can officially say the Gomez/Drury/Redden contracts hurt us. So far they havent prevented us from signing a player we wanted.
Jagr

sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:39 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
Jagr
The cap didnt keep the Rangers from signing Jagr. The Rangers wanted to part ways. They could have skipped out on Naslund and made it work. They didnt even negotiate with him.

Old
04-29-2009, 12:43 PM
sousuffer

Quote:
The cap didnt keep the Rangers from signing Jagr. The Rangers wanted to part ways. They could have skipped out on Naslund and made it work. They didnt even negotiate with him.
You said that the cap hasn't kept us from signing anyone that we wanted. Just because Sather and/or Renney didn't want him doesn't mean that I and many other fans didn't want him. In addition, in my opinion, if there was no cap, we would have signed Jagr simply because with money being no object, we'd have nothing to lose. Therefore, Drury's signing did in fact keep us from signing someone that many of us agree was pretty crucial to the Rangers resurgence after the lockout.

sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Fletch

clmets...

if it was known that Drury had a broken hand and didn't play, I don't think there would be much whining. I don't recall what people were saying for game 1, which would be an indicator since he missed the first game. Further, I don't think many said much about Jagr a couple seasons ago when he missed a couple games against the Devils, only to come back and play like he had only one arm. Personally, if he's doing what's in the best interests of the team, I'm fine.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
I gotta give that man some serious creds for that. I've tried to play with a smashed up hand, it's so insanely painful.
wow.
Add to that that he put one in the net and we're talking major ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bury Your Head View Post
He shouldn't have played then. You're completely useless in hockey without a hand.
I agree here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And replace him with whom?
And it's not a matter of who you need to replace him with. It's a matter of guys playing with injuries that shouldn't be. Winning isn't everything and too often guys are getting their shots (cortizone, etc.) to play through the pain and end up destroying their bodies.

If Drury scores the game winner in game 7 to make it to the second round and during that second round he takes another shot to the hand that's already broken and now bone fragments have damaged his nerves to where his hand isn't as nearly effective for the rest of his career, which includes the remainder of his contract with the Rangers, was it worth it?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:02 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

After watching him play the series I thought something was up with his shoulder in the way he was handling the puck. But even so, You've got to give a lot of credit to Drury for sucking it up and driving on.

FIDO

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Rome

Number one rule in the NHL Playoffs "Tape it up and keep your mouth shut".

Drury epitomized that and played through what I know is personally is excruciating pain and I only broke my pinky.

Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:22 PM
satrabyk

if that is actually the case than why the hell would he play. That is so stupid. We could have put a younger guy in his spot this entire series but choose to put him on why? Wow that makes this exit a little better. I also blame Drury, does the guy not realize with that hand, he should not be playing. Is it me or did we not win the games he was not there. I am not saying that is the reason but it sure could have contributed.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Garfinkel1

Wow. Props to Drury. I'm impressed.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:26 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Call Drury stupid all you want. He did what a captain is supposed to do. Despite a very painful injury, he played through it and to the best of his ability. Huge props to Chris.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:32 PM
BroadwayLocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I really do like Drury, and if it weren't for his contract, I would be happy to have him here. He has balls, no question on that one.

People knocking Drury right now, consider this: if Cally did the same thing, it would be all anyone was talking about right now, saying nothing but how awesome he is and how he's captain material.
No.

Anyone who plays injured and thus becomes a liability deserve some heat. Drury on the ice was costly.

Example: the Caps short handed goal where Drury was the last man back. He went gingerly for the puck with the stick taped to his busted hand, and the Cap player breezed right on by.

Is that the effort you want from an injured captain? from any injured player?

Have him on the bench, okay. But on the point on a power play?

BroadwayLocal is offline   Reply With Quote