HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury played with a broken right hand

Old
05-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
I don't care he still sucks for that cash.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 03:42 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Take it up with the GM bandwagoner.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Fletch

polako...

good analogy, especially on Cullen. I think Drury's better than Cullen, but Cullen's numbers this past season vs. Drury's are very comparable and an argument can be made that Cullen's were better..

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 01:41 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
whine to sather not to a guy who tried his hardest with a broken hand.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
whine to sather not to a guy who tried his hardest with a broken hand.
perfectly put.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 02:21 PM
eco's bones

It's not really all that a remarkable thing that players play with serious injuries in the playoffs--and then we find out about it later. Graves' back. Messier's ribs. Leetch used to play with this and that. On other teams lots of it as well. If players can play they play--this year as it happens it was Rozsival and Drury. I'd have to say Rozsival was the more effective player of the two--for the most part.

Another remarkable thing--is the thread on our board asking posters about what 5 players they would keep if they could. Hardly any mention of the following: Drury ($7 mil), Gomez ($7 mil) , Redden ($6.5 mil), Naslund ($4 mil), Rozsival ($5 mil) and Zherdev (2.5 mil) . I mean really what gives? These are all guys who are expected to lead the team on the ice and in offensive production and nobody likes them that much. They include our C and our A's. There's much more enthusiasm for the likes of Staal, Callahan, Dubinsky, Avery (though his detractors tend to be very vehement), some for Antropov, Girardi, Mara and of course there is Henrik the one big contract we're getting our money's worth on.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 02:49 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
It's not really all that a remarkable thing that players play with serious injuries in the playoffs--and then we find out about it later. Graves' back. Messier's ribs. Leetch used to play with this and that. On other teams lots of it as well. If players can play they play--this year as it happens it was Rozsival and Drury. I'd have to say Rozsival was the more effective player of the two--for the most part.

Another remarkable thing--is the thread on our board asking posters about what 5 players they would keep if they could. Hardly any mention of the following: Drury ($7 mil), Gomez ($7 mil) , Redden ($6.5 mil), Naslund ($4 mil), Rozsival ($5 mil) and Zherdev (2.5 mil) . I mean really what gives? These are all guys who are expected to lead the team on the ice and in offensive production and nobody likes them that much. They include our C and our A's. There's much more enthusiasm for the likes of Staal, Callahan, Dubinsky, Avery (though his detractors tend to be very vehement), some for Antropov, Girardi, Mara and of course there is Henrik the one big contract we're getting our money's worth on.
Nobody wants those guys because they provide no value. Personally I would keep Zherdev...he's worth 2.5m. But Drury/Gomez/Redden...wow, wish we could get a mulligan on those signings. They really hurt.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Fletch

interesting observation, eco's, and I agree because I'm one of those people who isn't enamored with our "leaders" and don't particularly like the makeup of the team and am a bit more excited about the youth, although my excitement doesn't reach the level as others because I'm not sure if there's any near-term top-end talent, which is diappointed because it seems as though Sather has turned up very little in that regard.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 07:38 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Broken hand or not...he looked the same as always.
Maybe the hand was broken all season?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 11:57 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
interesting observation, eco's, and I agree because I'm one of those people who isn't enamored with our "leaders" and don't particularly like the makeup of the team and am a bit more excited about the youth, although my excitement doesn't reach the level as others because I'm not sure if there's any near-term top-end talent, which is diappointed because it seems as though Sather has turned up very little in that regard.
From the standpoint of either veterans or younger players--I've come to the conclusion that there aren't any legit 1st line players on our team. There's a number that might be classified as 2nd liners--and that's where Callahan and Dubinsky's top end might be although still more comfortable thinking of Ryan especially as a 3rd liner. Tortorella however pointed out he thinks Callahan is capable of 30 goal seasons so I'll categorize him as a potential 2nd liner.

In any respect the failure of the veterans to live up to their respective paychecks--the one exception again being Lundqvist--is why they are not held in high regard by the fanbase at least that is if the diehards that post here are any indication of what the fanbase thinks. And it seems to me that it's not just offense they don't provide--they also don't provide a lot of leadership. Too many lethargic performances--too many disappearances for lengthy periods by Drury, Gomez, Naslund, Zherdev. Redden got turned over and over during the season--neither he nor Rozsival impressed at all on the pwp. Rozsival dropped down to 30 points and his reluctance to shoot the puck can be mind boggling. As for the Pwp it often doesn't move around enough or screen opposition nets enough--though that did improve a bit with Tortorella. Naslund and Zherdev for the most part have proven to be perimeter players--not willing to go to the net. Even Antropov sometimes doesn't seem to get there--which is another reason fans tend to like Avery, Callahan and Dubinsky who are much more apt to take the punishment to score a goal.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 01:09 AM
NYR Viper

Torts actually said he thought Cally could be a 40 goal scorer pretty soon if he keeps up his work ethic and stays healthy. That would be very nice to a team needing goals.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote