HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov Injury

Old
04-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Ford Prefect

vCash: 500
Markov Injury

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I haven't yet seen a thread about it. Has the extent of Markov's injury been released yet? What exactly was his injury? How severe was it?

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 03:18 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Concussion. They might never say so, but that's what it is.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:01 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Concussion. They might never say so, but that's what it is.
I doubt it. When he left the ice, apparently he was really pissed off (per RDS broadcast team). That would indicate that he knew something was wrong and that he was going to miss some time. Now I'm not an expert on concussions but I doubt a player would know he had one moments after leaving the ice.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:43 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
I doubt it. When he left the ice, apparently he was really pissed off (per RDS broadcast team). That would indicate that he knew something was wrong and that he was going to miss some time. Now I'm not an expert on concussions but I doubt a player would know he had one moments after leaving the ice.
He might not know it, but it should always be suspected in a blow to the head.

I'm still wondering how Krusty Krabovski dodged a suspension on that one

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:05 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
It's a minor concussion, but that's what it was. Just trust me on this one.

Old
04-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Clumsyhab

Ron Fournier said on CKAC that Markov's knee is pretty messed up and there were no chance he could play in the 1st round. Take it for what it's worth since it came from Ron Fournier.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:44 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
It's a minor concussion, but that's what it was. Just trust me on this one.
A concussion doesn't make you limp around.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 06:46 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
How about this, he got a concussion AND a knee injury. Everyone happy?

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Belso

Quote:
I read he wasn't limping around. I'll look for a source for you.. I thought it was a concussion on the play and was actually surprised when they announced it was a knee..

Edit:

http://habsinsideout.com/main?page=5

Apr 6

"Markov and Schneider both suffered upper-body injuries"

Apr 4

"Markov, clearly shaken up and helped off the ice, did not return. But CBC's Elliotte Friedman said he made it to the dressing room under his own power, throwing his stick in anger en route."

http://www.fellowshipofhockey.com/ma...-and-playoffs/

"Schneider is the backbone the Canadiens’ powerplay and Markov is their leading scorer. Doctors revealed today that both are suffering from shoulder injuries, where Schneider will most likely undergo season ending surgery."

#1 rule with injuries in important game situations (AKA play-offs).. NEVER SAY THE REAL INJURY IF YOU CAN PASS IT OFF AS ANOTHER INJURY!!

If you have never heard of this, you haven't been watching hockey for very long.

my two cents...

Last edited by Belso: 04-29-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:44 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I read he wasn't limping around. I'll look for a source for you.. I thought it was a concussion on the play and was actually surprised when they announced it was a knee..
He was clearly favoring his left leg in the skates he took...

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Belso

Quote:
He was clearly favoring his left leg in the skates he took...
If I was on TV and told the TV "people" that my knee was hurt, maybe I'd put on a good show

And the other poster is right and I've also admitted to it. It was maybe both.. I've twisted my knee a few times in soccer and hockey where it took me a few weeks for it to get better. I was fortunate enough to be able to let it rest.

I went snowboarding for the first time when I was 20. I fell, rolled around and hit my head. My knee hurt a little but I was more worried about my head. After having paid so much just to get on the hill, I decided to keep going. I went down another 4 times until I had enough. THe next day, I couldn't bend my knee at all! after a week of it not getting better, went to the clinic, had an MRI and I found out I ripped my meniscus. I thought I would never walk straight again because I was limping for 6 months.. It took me a full year before I was back at 95%. So yes, I will not argue that even if he skated off the ice on his own that it wasn't his knee. I snowboard for at least 1 hour with ripped cartilage in my knee...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

the instant after seeing the hit, I was immediately thinking head injury. Did you see how his head went in? It didnt look pretty.

But then you hear guys like elliotte friedman watching markov limping around, and that takes the attention away from a potential concussion. I wouldn't rule out a concussion at all, it was my first instinct.

But is the concussion the reason why he couldn't play? The general rule is that you have to stay away from hockey or physical activity for a week after a concussion is diagnosed. He spent a good 2.5 weeks before skating so that either means that he had post concussion syndrome effects or his leg simply wasnt reacting properly. Call me cynical but I believe that if markov could put on a pair of skates, he would be in the lineup... unless we are dealing with head injuries, of course.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 08:17 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I haven't yet seen a thread about it. Has the extent of Markov's injury been released yet? What exactly was his injury? How severe was it?
When I saw the name Ford "Perfect" (didn't notice it was prefect) with hitchhiker below it, I lol'd.

Cause anyone who owns a ford will likely have to call a tow truck or hitch hike somewhere in their life.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 08:32 AM
C77

I wanted to check this thread out because I was pretty suspicious about the "knee injury". When I saw the replays I assumed it was a concussion.

At about 1:07-1:08 of this video...If I was a betting man...the head hitting the dasher area is the injury. He seemed pretty dazed but his knees were close to the boards as well.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 08:48 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Like I said...He might have hurt his knee too, but the biggest concern was the concussion. Doctors told him to stay away from hockey for 3 weeks and it didn't seem like that was going to change.

His knee might have been hurt ala Lidstrom last season. Got rocked, looked really dazed, and fell awkwardly. They never admitted it was a concussion in that case either...But Lidstrom hurt his knee because he was scrambled eggs when he fell.